Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: books on germinating and/or pollinating

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 4, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 14, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7460715

anyone know of any good books on germinating and/or pollinating? There are alot and so I was wondering what everyone would recommend. Thanks!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7461822

I recommend this kit which includes the best How-To DVD, in addition a great book.

http://www.gardengatestore.com/seedstarting-kit.html

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7464190

You will probably need two books - germination and pollination aren't usually covered well in the same book.
What do you want to know about pollination?
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 16, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #7466687

I guess on how to self pollinate. I have some passion flowers and hopefully bat flowers that I would like to self pollinate in order to get seeds.
any help would be appreciated

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7466953

Well, hand pollination is fairly straight forward. You have to brush the complex center part of the flower against the center of another flower. If you are really good, you brush the male part with pollen against the female part (usually a larger structure in the exact center). You should be able to use the pollen from one flower to pollinate several others, you could use a fine soft brush to transfer the pollen more exactly.

Some plants will not self-pollinate, and must have a 2nd plant for pollination - Passion flower doesn't seem to be one of these. Some plant are poor self-pollinators, and do better with the pollen from another plant. Passion flower seems to fall into this second group.

I found a great photo on the internet (I did an image search for "passiflora pollen flower"):

http://www.backyardnature.net/fl_passn.htm

So, get the pollen from the anther to the top of the style - on a different flower would be better, & on a different plant would be best. Don't use an old wilting flower, the pollen might not be viable anymore. Also, One book I checked had a caution that unripe fruit and leaves are poisonous.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America