Photo by Melody

Soap and Candle-making: Homemade Laundry Soap Saves Lots of Money!

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 33, Views: 293
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
StarrsWife
Harrah, OK

January 14, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7461360

I am brand new to this site and noticed this topic, and thought I would throw this out there for anyone interested... I have been making my own liquid laundry soap for almost a year now. I have a family of six, and have spent around 50 dollars total since I started... this saves me lots of money that is so much funner to spend on seeds and gardening supplies! Anyone interested, let me know, I'd be happy to share!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 14, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7461375

hi
i sure would like to know how
it just me and my hb but we go through soap like craze
elle
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7461428

There are 3 threads about this in the Frugal Living forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/540316/ I make my own laundry soap, too, and I completely agree with StarrsWife about the savings! :-)
StarrsWife
Harrah, OK

January 14, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7461453

Thank you Marilyn! How awesome, I am so glad that others are also doing this as it not only saves money but prevents SO many bottles from going into the landfills as well as countless trips (gas pollution etc) to the store when you run out of soap! I want to go check that forum out, I love my recipe, but maybe there are better ones I could try! Do you recommend any?

Jessica
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7461470

I've made the dry version (1 bar Zote (or Fels Naptha, but I like Zote better), 1 cup A&H washing soda, 1 cup borax), and the wet version with the same ingredients. The dry version might last slightly longer before it's time to make a new batch, but the wet version is a LOT easier for me to make, and it still lasts a long time, so I've been using it for the past several months.
StarrsWife
Harrah, OK

January 14, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7461605

I've only used the liquid recipe, I use dial soap though, cuz I couldn't find the zote or fels naptha at the time, and once I did I was happier with the dial, lol... I only use 1/2c each of the soda and borax though, and 2 gallons water plus 4 cups to dissolve the grated soap. I've been using it almost a year now, and swear I will NEVER buy store bought again... if I do it will only be once and ONLY to get one of those neat jugs with the spout, lol

Jessica
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7461807

I use 5 gallons of water, so you can just consider mine a double batch of yours. :-)
Mistyriver
Inverness, FL

October 27, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #8180115

So what is the actual recipe to make the liquid version? I would love to try it.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8180416

My too!!! Please post the how tooo of making your own soap
Mistyriver
Inverness, FL

November 7, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #8199708

Marylyn, thanks for posting the link above, I hadn't noticed before my previous post. Great recipes, can't wait to try them.
autumrose11
Bend, OR

January 4, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8292002

can you us it in a front loader?
frogs4ever
Auburn, GA

February 4, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8354274

autumrose11 wrote:can you us it in a front loader?

Yes, I have a front loader and use the homemade liquid detergent in it without any problems. I just make sure that the gel chunks are shook up before pouring into the machine. I've been making my detergent for about 7 months now.
westie42
West Union, IA

February 24, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8390050

Marylyn_Tx thanks for posting the link it really gives a lot of concisely helpful information. It mentioned using scenting agents or oils. i like to use tea tree oil in my hand sanitizing dispenser and wonder if that would work out in this soap to add a little more germ killing action or I should just put a couple drops of it in the washers dispenser each load. Thoughts on all this would be appreciated.
handcrafters
ludhiana
India

October 16, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8850802

You are doing a great job
You can check this link also which i am sending it will help you alot for making soap more easily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQpbnqBmeQM
you can go to website also:
http://thehandcrafterscompanionx.com/
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8856472

Just a note of caution.. you might want to let all those ingredients sit on your counter for a while before mixing them up... I did and on a fluke learned I was allergic so thankfully I did not mix it all up and wash my clothes. I was sick for several weeks as it was with a nasty sinus in fection and almost went anaphlactic.. so just thought to make this suggestion before all you guys go gung ho hoping to save money! And I thought at first when I put them on the counter.. man that stuff smelled good never realizing I was allergic! I was gonna mix it the next day and thankfully I was side tracked.. but it took a few days to realize what was causing my irritation...

Looking back, my mother used fels to wash the floor with and borax to do dad's grimey clothes..I was not a happy camper with those soaps back then and when I got older stuck with the same old same old.. then one of my friends suggested this to save money and off course not even remembering or thinking about allergies.. wham!

So food for thought!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8922972

just made my second batch of launder soap .. I really love this stuff it lasted over a year . I do add 4 cups of fabric softener to a triple batch
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8943286

im sold on homemade laundry soap too...
i havent heard of zote ..so im off to ebay to look if i can buy it there..
my tough grease soaked clothes get presoaked in mix (borax,washing soda,fels ) and then
washed.. none of the store bought prewashes ever took out the grease like it..
and.. YEA.. saving $$$ too !!!
hope all had a wonderful christmas !!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8943414

Walmart has Zote or at least ours does
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8943676

bought some on ebay.. see how differs from fels naptha..
thanks...
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #8959057

much thanks to all on recommendation on zote !!! on grease stained
clothes wow.. worked great!!!
i mix shaved zote in hot water in jug.. use as i would store bought liquid soap..
its pretty thick..i add washing soda..and borax..let sit overnite..then wash as normal
and stains come out sweet!! YEA>>
much thanks
bloomit
Largo, FL

January 15, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #8968432

Zote is also sold at Dollar General. At least that is where i saw it.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #8985035

I too have started making and using the laundry detergent recipe. Dry though. I use;

1 bar zote and fels...grated

4 cups each of 20 mule team borax &
Washing soda

I use mine dry, and reconstitute/dissolve a load amount in a little hot water before I use it in the wash.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 28, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #8986002

What do you grate your soap with? The reason i don't "do" the dry is because the soap is such large "grates". I use 1 bar fels, and 2 c. each of washing soda and borax. Mix it in a cat litter pail. And stir vigouously with a large wire whisk (mine is one that is used for mixing calf milk replacer, so it is quite large) I've found that the best way to get the soap melted/dissolved is to put it in a stainless steel bowl over hot water. (double boiler, actually) Cover it with saran, stir occasionally. I use some white vinegar in the rinse cup to freshen. I NEVER use fabric softener anymore...just ruins the towels, and ever since they don't have the old, original Downy scent, I found I absolutely CANNOT stand the smells of any of them. Yuck.

But, I will have to say, that if I have something with a stain that I'm really wanting to get out, like on good clothes, I will wash that batch in Amway. I still like Amway liquid detergent, and keep some on hand for that specific purpose, but just can't afford it anymore.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #8986721

Anna_Z wrote:What do you grate your soap with? The reason i don't "do" the dry is because the soap is such large "grates". I use 1 bar fels, and 2 c. each of washing soda and borax. Mix it in a cat litter pail. And stir vigouously with a large wire whisk (mine is one that is used for mixing calf milk replacer, so it is quite large) I've found that the best way to get the soap melted/dissolved is to put it in a stainless steel bowl over hot water. (double boiler, actually) Cover it with saran, stir occasionally. I use some white vinegar in the rinse cup to freshen. I NEVER use fabric softener anymore...just ruins the towels, and ever since they don't have the old, original Downy scent, I found I absolutely CANNOT stand the smells of any of them. Yuck.

But, I will have to say, that if I have something with a stain that I'm really wanting to get out, like on good clothes, I will wash that batch in Amway. I still like Amway liquid detergent, and keep some on hand for that specific purpose, but just can't afford it anymore.

I grate my bars of soap with a plain old box grater. Then, rinse it in the hot water, add that to the wash.

I have never put fabric softener in the towels/wash cloth rinse waters. I read a long time ago, that the Downy etc, will make the towels less absorbant. I wash my towels/wash cloths in bleach/detergent...and rinse with vinegar. I also line dry all of my laundry, even the towels. I just whip them dry, a few times, as I fold them...and it fluffs them enough for us.

Never have used Amway before either.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #8987177

I would hang stuff out to dry on nice days in the winter except for one thing...my clothesline is in pretty direct line with the wood furnace/smoke. Yuck. So, my outside drying time is nil till the fire is extinguished in the spring.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #8987615

Yep, smoke doesn't make for very good clothes drying. Soot either. DH burned a brush pile last year, while I had a load of laundry on the line.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 30, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #8987626

And I have gone out and put stuff on the line when the wind is "supposed" to be blowing the smoke in the totally opposite direction and I STILL get stinky, smoky things on the line. I just plain gave up till nice weather. Tho it sure would be nice to have sheets and towels line-dried if the sun is out. Smoke-smell sheets are NOT fresh. Pfffttt...LOL
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #8987652

Nope, they are not. I have my inside drying racks for winter at least. It is sometimes just too cold and damp to dry outside on the line anyway. I usually end up bringing in half dried stuff...so, if I need to to laundry, and the weather is bad...I just hang up inside.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 30, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #8987685

I have one of those wooden racks I sometimes hang towels on...I put the rack over the register. That makes the house smell good, at least. And that nice wood heat...the drying towels add humidity too.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #8987794

I sure do miss the registers. :( This place DH and I bought 2 years ago...no central heating/ac. No ductowrk. No insulation. Previous owners had the older propane fireplaces, one in the main room, one on the back porch. And a brand new LP fireplace in the wing nobody used, because it was built for church meetings.

We looked up the smaller fireplace...it was horrible for propane usage. So, we un-installed it, and just found a home for it last month. We haven't even touched the huge one yet. No way will we even bother to use it for heat.
DH purchased 3 window unit heat pumps. We are using 2 right now. Oh, and the property was full of ancient nasty dirty old a/c units. Yukkkk. Bought and installed maybe in the 70's.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 30, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #8987918

Must be a big house.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #8987995

Not really. Just a poorly insulated drafty re-muddle.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 30, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #8988429

Oh, yeah, I know all about those. People ask me "what is your house made of?" I reply "first house made of wood after man moved out of caves."
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #8988979

High heating bills so far... one reason I went to making my own laundry detergent. Powder, because it is lighter to store, and I don't have to mess with that big messy 5 gallon bucket. I do that already with other things out in the hothouse/greenhouse. Last year, was fish emulsion.

I lie my powdered detergent. I just take the one scoop, and dissolve it in hot water, just about a cup. Then pour it into the washer.

I like little pump, to transfer the rain water to the washer. Feels alot better now that I don't have to use well water for the laundry.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 9 Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America