Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Medlar - Strange Fruit, What's Inside of You?: They Taste Lovely!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Medlar - Strange Fruit, What's Inside of You?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Medlar - Strange Fruit, What's Inside of You?Replies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

January 15, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #7463054

Dear Memory, in England Medlars are not common at all, but neither are they extremely rare! When I was Head Gardener in a garden in West Sussex, we had three just outside the kitchen garden, they caused much curiosity for the vistors.
I used to eat them, i would not call them rotted or bletted, I would say soft is more polite. They do have a cinnamon taste, but if they are really soft or totally soft like a liquid, they can have a taste a bit like nutmeg, and are not that pleasant then!
For some reason, they did not want to ripen on the trees, so I used to take some off and put them in an unused Victorian ice house we had. It was dry and dark in there, so I used to leave them and check on them now and again. You could tell when they went an off reddish colour and went soft!
The Women's Institute used to come and ask for ours, as they used to make jelly with them, this is delicious when eaten with game.
I used to get a jar of it, as I gave them the fruit in the first place, in fact I preferred it to Quince jelly, which they also used to ask for.
Funnily enough I have seen some planted lately, especially by English Heritage.
Sometimes you can find them where you don't expect them, especially in the Orchards in Kent, which is not far from me.
As people do not know what they are, they go unnoticed, and yet there may be a couple lurking amongst the now sadly overgrown orchards.
Some of the big Estates still have them, especially the ones with Victorian kitchen gardens.
You really have to look for them, but you can find them!
Regards.
Neil.

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7463520

Alnwick garden has a large medlar tree in the Ornamental Garden.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

January 15, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7463596

Dear Sue, what a stunning picture, I got a new camera for Christmas, one day I will learn to how use it!
I did not remember one at Alnwick, as by the time we got there on that tour we only had half a day there, you cannot do that beautiful place any justice in half a day!
I have spoken to my wife and we with a bit of luck may go and see my family in County Durham next June, and I am definitely going back to Alnwick!
Regards.
Neil.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7464331

I got a small crop of Medlars from MY tree this year. I waited to pick them until after we had a good snow when I thought they might be soft. I had to wait a bit but instead of eating them fresh this year, I made medlar "cheese" which is just a very thick butter - like apple butter from apples, but even thicker. I didn't have any molds but added a generous dab to my yougurt everyday until I ran out. Here is a link to information on Medlar cheese http://www.historicfood.com/medlar cheese recipe.htm
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

January 15, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7464524

Very interesting article! Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Medlar - Strange Fruit, What's Inside of You? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing! doccat5 18 Feb 6, 2008 4:00 AM
excellent! gradinar 0 Feb 9, 2008 8:06 PM
You answered one question. ceejaytown 4 Jan 16, 2010 2:55 AM
Mushy and Fruity But Good oikostreecrops 0 Jan 18, 2010 1:57 PM
wonderful article thatswho 1 Jan 18, 2010 7:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America