Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Peppers, pollination

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
treehugggr
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7463541

This year my organic hot pepper garden will be 8x8, planning on planting 6 rows, each a separate variety in that space. My question is, do I ever need to worry about cross-pollination ? I have come across text that says the Bhut Jolokia will cross pollinate.

My varieties will be:
Datil
Cayenne
Bhut Jolokia
Orange/Yellow Manzana
Bishops Hat
Paprika

Anyone have insight, suggestions?
ChileBebe
Paramount, CA

January 21, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7481097

Chili Peppers will cross-pollinate on occasion depending what varieties you have. Below is a chart that shows which species are compatible and will cross-pollinate and which will not.

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_seedsaving.php

I actually would like to cross-pollinate some of my peppers because some of the resulting hybrids are interesting and very productive.

Cheers

ChileBebe

Dorkasaurus
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7504540

Bhut would most likely cross pollinate with a c.chinese variety of pepper like habaneros, scotch bonnets, etc.since those are it's closest "relatives", and c.annum because it crosses with pretty much every other pepper.

If you're hoping to save seeds from the bhut jolokia (like I am) you should keep them separated so you know the seeds won't be a cross. In my case I have enough space to keep them far away from my other plants but if that's not an option for you it's pretty easy to use some fine netting or fabric and keep a few growing tips isolated until they bloom. That way you can hand pollinate specific flowers and save the seeds from them and just eat the others. (cross pollinated fruit will still be 100% bhut, only the seeds are affected)

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010 4:01 AM
ferrona
Madison , AL
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7521309

If you don't like hand pollinating and prefer bugs pollinating you can try

-netting each pepper plant
-uncover one at a time (or same breed) for two days each
-then alternate

I do agree that hand pollinating is a bit annoying but its very successful for keeping a pure strain. One year I collected my cayenne seeds and what I didn't know was that my neighbor had other peppers plants. Apparently, some crossed and I got some really decieving fruit. Some had heat, others nothing, and some pow! haha
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7522812

Peppers, like tomatoes and eggplant are self pollinating. Meaning they don't need insects to pollinate them like squash or cucumber do. All they need for pollination is the wind or you can flick the blooms with your finger. So you bag them then flick them.
BTW on more then one occasion I have had peppers that had visibly crossed with their neighbor.
Good luck

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America