-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7464642

New Thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072818/ new Thread 1/30/10

Direction for free seed here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Bed for newbies here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Jan's Seed Auction here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036526/#new

The high priestess and her Loyal followers Brug sprout off contest
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037643/

This message was edited Jan 30, 2010 10:40 PM

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7464668

Oh look it works!!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7464688

Yay I found it!
Now gonna go check on that lasagna bed thing again...that is how I found you all in the first place...Sure glad I did.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7464714

Wonderful !!! Here we go!!
Let's Grow!!!!!

This message was edited Jan 15, 2010 2:12 PM
seray53

January 15, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7464864

Nice new home! Pretty pic! Warm today. I'm gonna soak up some more sun while I can.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7465032

...and she got the date right! Glad you're still with us Robin - lol...
seray53

January 15, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7465051

I noticed that!!! :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #7465281

Yeah for good dates new homes and colors what color are we on?
seray53

January 15, 2010
11:50 PM

Post #7465447

Sea Oats. Need browns and pinks and greys LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010
11:53 PM

Post #7465451

ghostplant grey

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
1:10 AM

Post #7465634

Oh yeah Ghostplant grey and sea oats brown !!
I was working on Compost something...
seray53

January 16, 2010
1:31 AM

Post #7465696

Lion's tail. Need oranges too. :) Lamb's ears is that a grey?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7465946

Lambs ear sound grey!!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 16, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7466193

Maybe grey, probably depends on what breed of sheep! LOL
seray53

January 16, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7466436

LOL. Ok. How about Silver Falls? Dichondra something or other.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7466471

Senecio cineraria or Dusty Miller...is that gray or silver?

seray53

January 16, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7466698

Let's say Dusty Miller gray. That way we know what color gray it is.
How about Emerald Falls, same plant as silver falls only green.
More Coffee! Good Morning. Back Later

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7466727

Good Morning.
Silver Mound Artesima
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 16, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7466860

Good morning all - yippee, a day off! well sorta anyway, at least I don't have to drive today!! I am off until Wednesday, the guys are going to Tulsa Monday and Tuesday and I don't get to go. No body seems to want to have to keep track of me in the big truck in the "big city". Traffic gets really bad and Mike is afraid I will run over someone, oh well, gives me time to get some things in the mail!

It is gonna be nice here today, up into the 50's so I am going to tackle the henbit again today. I may get that crap killed off one of these days. Man that stuff is tough!!

I started some seeds last night but am kinda worried about them. I put them in egg cartons so I can easily transplant them later, used Miracle Grow seed starting mix and sprayed them with my water bottle. The problem is, the water just sat there on top of the starting mix. I don't know if it ever soaked in or not. Did I do something wrong or is this just the way the soil acts? It is really dry in the bag, not like potting soil that stays moist. If you can think of something I should do different, let me know - I want to grow something!!

Off to the coffee pot and then to the laundry room - luck me!!!

Lori

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7466907

Silver Mound Artesima I love that one...
Enid water the soil before you use it, I always mix my miricle grow soil with perlite , vermiculite and peat...in something big then water it, honest!! Big trash can works.
seray53

January 16, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7467153

I use egg cartons to start things too Enid. I use the top as a tray and poke holes in the egg cups. When I need to water I put water in the tray set the egg cup part in there and it soaks up through the holes. Since you've already planted, the bottom watering would be best. If you didn't poke holes then, use a wooden skewer and gently punch through.

I too water my soil before using it. Or I put dry soil in pots and set the pots in a tray of water. When you come back later the soil is wet and ready to go. I've had my share of floating water on peat.

How about African Mask for a black? Or Black bat flower, or Black Ruffles EE, or Summer chocolate mimosa. Sounds good enough to eat doesn't it.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7467575

Yeah Seray...I think you should win the pencils for all the creative ideas!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7467591

You are having a power brain surge up tere. Better be careful ☺
Georgia Clay red sounds like a good one, do you think?
I don't have surges I have "binks" hehehehehe
seray53

January 16, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7467612

You're kind Robin. Just renaming my own! LOL I'll try not to eat the chocolate one. :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #7467880

Georgia Clay red Thats a great one it sounds absolute when you say it!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7467940

That what color some of these white horses are down here. You don't see any white.
Just the Georgia Red Clay. They are just beautiful. Now today they are just
Red Mule Red!!!!lol
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2010
9:54 PM

Post #7468024

I can't believe I found you guys. I'm always getting lost though.
I just went to check on Sonja and her arm was much better, not red but still swelled some. Al least she wasn't crying and could move it some. She couldn't even wiggle her fingers before today, I guess the swelling in the muscle.
Since they live in the country not city limits, they really don't enforce any laws unless it's a big shot rich person. They came out and put a metal cage out there but no dog is stupid enough to walk into a rusty cage.
My son went to the place where the dog lives and told them to chain the dog and they said they are scared of it too because it growled at them. They said they can't catch it, that was before it bit her. He told them if it came back he would kill it, but he wasn't there when this happened. It sneaks around and from what they said it is pregnant now. So it's probably looking for food to keep from starving.
But never fear, I know mr. smith and wesson personally and they are watching for it to come back. Heck they are riding around looking for it. :o)
Raining here since morning but weather people said it wasn't going to rain till late tonight. Jee e s e- lots they know.
I'm loving all the colors you guys. Thought you were nuts for a while theye, but now makes sense- OMG I sound like you guys!;o)
seray53

January 16, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #7468126

Glad your granddaughter's arm is better. They should pay the dang Dr. bills for sure. I know my premiums are higher because I have dogs. Mine being so vicious an all. :)

Red clay is good RRM. Need pinks, oranges, mojito limes. :) Some more greens. Red Hot poker. Isn't that a flower? Dianthus alpinus - Alpine Pink

How about Toadflax? Is that a green, brown, yellow? I think it's the color of this Peke. LOL

Thumbnail by seray53

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #7468145

Soooo Cute! How about Peke toadflax brown?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7468182

Donkey poo Green is a good earthy color..
Mekos Star feel off a ladder working on her hoop house and got hurt.
so many people getting hurt. I'm glad your g'daugter is better. Tell your son to throw a hunk of meat in that cage and maybe she will go in it. Just stay out of the way when the door drops. We caught a dog that way one time. You couldn't get close to it.
Cosmos OraNge
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #7468208

HI Everyone
Jan so glad to hear your grandaughter is doing better.

Went shopping today and got more yarn now about ready to start working on my Cancer Ribbon design on the computer. Still haven't picked a background think I'll wait until I pick out what color ribbons I'm going to use.

Still trying to pick out what seeds I want to sow now gee it's hard to choose with so many seeds on hand.

French Lavendar for the purple
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
11:28 PM

Post #7468248

RRM...Star as in Ella? that is horrible! After all she has done this winter for everyone, that is just not right. Praying she heals soon and isn't hurt that bad.

Happy to hear your granddaughter is doing better.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2010
11:45 PM

Post #7468281

Yes, that is the Star.
They were talking about it over on the piggy swap.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7469073

Enid look at this you just type in your zip code for freeze dates!! Yeah DG!!!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 17, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7469868

Thanks arejay! That helps me some - I still don't know if I should plant the dang lettuce seeds in February or not - I am assuming not but I don't know that sowing in February is a great idea either! Once again, I don't know what to do - guess we will wait and see when the "urge" hits me - that's when I will plant. LOL

Hope everyone has a great day today - supposed to be warmish here today - yippee - I can go outside. Maybe I will get the leaf blower/mulcher out today and clean up the yard a bit - we have tons of leaves!! Can I use them in the bottom of large containers for "bulk". I doubt I need as much soil in some of my rims as they will hold - they are 22 1/2" tall - what do you think? I sure hate to buy that much potting mix if I don't have to.

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7470110

Hello everyone...Hope you all are well.. I love your colors.. all showing vivid imaginations...Hope you GD continues to improve Mekos, such a terrible trauma...I'd be scared of dog forever after something like that...Poor Ella.. she has lots of misadventures...she must be like me and have 2 left piggy feet!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7470234

Lori, You got any foam peanuts o foam laying around. Anything light yet takes up space. Empty 20 0z. soda bottles. Throw them in bottom of pot to take up space. That will work better than leaves. The leaves will break down and you will hav e to add more soil.
RIMS as in truck rims or hubs. I have a couple of old truck hubs that I got flowers in. Hope this helps.
Honey, you just be careful, don't want any more members being hurt.
Love you all
Charleen, Charley and the longears...☺
seray53

January 17, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7470305

Hi Everyone

Football today! LOL Enid save those leaves for lasagna beds. Put them in big garbage bags and let them sit until you need them. We'll help you make your beds the easy way with the lasagna technique. No weeds, no tilling etc. When you decide where you want to put them we'll walk you through the steps. EASY Mechelle built one every weekend this summer I think.

If you plant lettuce in Feb. you'll need to cover them. I grew up in Ky and they started things in Feb. outside in cold frames with the tobacco. Never planted spring crops that early. It snowed and sleeted in in March lots of years. Think about Easter egg hunts. Do you need a jacket? You can always plant 1/4 in Feb. 1/4 in March etc. That way you'll know next year for sure and if you're lucky you'll have fresh lettuce the whole time. :)

Soda cans are a good idea RRM. I may do that this year myself. Peanuts are hard to sort at the end of the year and pinecones are sticky. :)

Have a good day.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 17, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7470391

Is it too early (or too late) to start a lasagna bed now? I know I read about them somewhere - I have newspapers and/or cardboard and leaves. Oh, and a have my very own poop making machine - however, human waste in my veggies sounds pretty gross. I swear that grandson of mine can poop more than any baby I have ever seen! I should have bought stock in pampers this year.

Are you talking about pop cans - the aluminum ones?? Heaven forbid I use pop cans for gardening - those are like gold to some folks around here. (DH keeps them - one here, six over there, two behind his seat...but we can't throw them away.)
How about old semi parts for "bulk"? That would work if they are clean don't you think? I am sure the plant roots wouldn't be too fond of diesel fuel or grease.

The semi rims look like this - they are 22.5 inches tall and it is probably 7' around. This is where I am going to plant my black eyed susan vine. The bell thing I bought somewhere, the pot stand is from the pot DH broke last year mowing. The one my BF had given me for my BDay - great big strawberry pot, (goes outside weeping in sorrow for the lost pot)

Thumbnail by enidcandles

seray53

January 17, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7470447

I love that bell with the rim! That will look wonderful!

You can start lasagna beds anytime. Including in your rims. You can plant right in the bed even though it's not broken down yet. I'm working on mine now for the goth area. Lay your paper, then go a layer of green, a layer of brown etc.. Green can be scraps from the kitchen, pine tree needles, or starbuck coffee grounds, lots of nitrogen there and they give them away free. Hard to find enough green this time of year. Then go back to brown, leaves, potting soil, dry pine needles. What ever you can find.

You can make yard art with the semi parts! LOL Can you get semi rims somewhere cheap? Looks like the perfect size for a bog garden!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7470452

Lori, I found you a toad house to make.
http://www.timpyworks.com/pamphlets/hypertufa-201/201.html
Don't those truckdrivers you have drink anything out of bottles. Plastic bottle , put the lid back on and toss in the bottom of your large flower pot til it's about a third full. Then pour in the dirt.
I have four truck rims. I use them for flower pots. got any rocks? You can put those in their too.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 17, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7470557

Ok, duh, once again you guys know I am not so bright. Plastic bottles - wow, who'd a thunk..?

Nope, no rocks!

Seray - check with your local tire dealership (the big truck section of course). Ask any trucker around town, they can tell you where to go. I gave my little tire guy a 12 pack of Bud and took home 10 rims. They are VERY heavy so be sure you have help (DH loads them by himself but he ain't real bright either!)

They are made of cast so they should last forever in the garden. The tire shop sells them for scrap metal price when they get a pile of them. If you ask nice, I bet they would let you have one or two - if for no other reason than they have a "story" for the next week or so. You know.. the typical redneck story..."You ain't gonna believe this s#$%!! ( all good redneck storys start out that way) There was this old lady in here today; y'all ain't never gonna believe what she wanted either! She wanted one of them old semi rims over there in the scrap barrel - shoot I loaded it up for her - that woman's crazy - how in the #$% does she think she is gonna fill that thing with plants??!

The crazy old lady grins as she get back in her truck - knowing a little elbow grease and paint and she's got herself a mighty fine planter!

The rims are damaged (truck drivers can do a number on anything!) LOL. Anyway, they ain't good for nothin' but plantin' in!.
Good luck - just remeber them tire boys don't see many women - if you took cookies -they'd probably follow you home!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7470570

HI Everyone
Hmmmm Enid that deep a rim could probably support a rose bush don't you think? Sure save digging the recommended size hole for the bush.
Speaking of lasagna beds I just cleaned the chicken coop out of manure and dumped it on my bed this past week. Now I want to know is snow a brown or a green?

OK OK I'll be good now.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7470628

Some people do use aluminum cans but it would take more.
I think you do great lori. We all have those days. Mindy, they would fit and you may have to keep them watered pretty good til you get it growing. I have mums in one of mine.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7470669

I use old tires to plant tomatoes and zucchini in and have had good luck that way. There are 12 old tires at the back of this lot. so I'm getting them ready for planting in.
seray53

January 17, 2010

Post #7470918

Cookies I can do and there's a truck garage near by. Thanks a bunch. I'll see what I can come up with.

Loca what was the name of the trading group? Free something. It was like craigslist only it was come get it and you can have it sort of thing. National with local chapters. I signed up and forgot the name. LOL Old.

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #7470922

Would that be Freecycle Seray?
Raini rain rain here today wish it would quit. The yard is soggy
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010

Post #7470924

seray ,
It's Free cycle .com

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7470968

Yup - it's Freecycle...

www.freecycle.org

You can search for groups in your area.
seray53

January 18, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #7471376

That's it! Thanks a bunch everyone. There was a guy who would pick up anything and everything free you didn't want. I bet he would trade me a rim. :) I have junk. LOL
seray53

January 18, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7472951

Morning everyone! Hope the sun shines bright for you today. Going to take advantage of the 60º weather and get some clean up started. Have a good one!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 18, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7473033

Mornin' all!! Gonna be really nice here today - 46 now, been painting the lawn furniture. Like Seray, thought I would get a jump on spring.

Working on my winter sowing - and giving thought to my veggie garden. I still don't know where I am gonna put it or when I am gonna sow it, but I am thinkin'!!

Need to fill bird feeders today, noticed they are empty - well, better quit plannin' and start workin', this is my last day off for awhile.

Have a great day everyone
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7473098

Morning everyone. Great day today. Sunshine is beaming this morning and got a great night sleep lat night. For this new year to have started out an such a crappy note, it sure turning around fast. So warm outside, I'm going now to my son's to take him to the store and DIL to work so back later. Have a good day everyone! Enjoy the sunshine while we can. And SMILE, it's contageous!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7473237

Morning everyone...

It's raining here - nice soft rain. Supposed to rain off and on all week long.

I sure hope so - we can sure use it. Bet my plants are smiling!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7473239

Hello everyone.. Beautiful sunshine filled day here too.. I have some bulbs I'm dying to get planted wish the ground would dry up a lil more, so I dont have to plant them in mud...I guess I will get outside and build something to hold all these containers im WS seeds into, so the slugs dont eat them before I can get the lil sprouts planted...I got twenty different seed varieties ws'ed yesterday and more to come.. Hope you all have a great day.. Trish
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7473250

Nice your getting a rain when you need one... Always makes the plants look so healthy and green...Mine look water logged and sick lol unless they like the bog!!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7473256

lol - my little CP from RRM will be happy to have some rainwater methinks!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7473318

The ones I havein my bogs look good. I went to Lowes and got me the most beautiful little pitcher plant. Has three little VASES. I am so happy. Got the small size, also got a Sundew and a Cobra lily. Lordy, i hope they love it here. I am glad Spring isn't that far away.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7473819

March 20th is almost here...so every one perk up...at least all you northerners! I am counting the days...and marking them on my calendar...so I can look at the half full glass instead of the half empty pitcher! lol (60 days and counting down)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7473872

Yeah!!! Ready for spring.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7474061

Warm days like today, make it hard not to get over anxious...I feel like planting some flowers...I have some lil feverfews growing in a pot under a chair on the deck.. I received them after it was to cold to be trading plants lol... They are doing ok tho ...A lil brown but they are still making it... I pulled the pine straw back on some of the irises on the edge of my garden(far as I can get) They saw alot of water this year, to be babies... Couple had some new green, one didnt look so good...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #7474098

These warm days we are having will give them a jump start growing and before you know it, zap the cold blizzards will blow in and zap them. It's just a false sense of security and will go away soon. Watch out.Been so warm today here, it was in the upper 50's and sooooo sunny.I been out in it all day and wish spring had sprung already but I know it's just getting ready to pull the rug out again soon.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2010
10:38 PM

Post #7474116

We went and got some hay for the longears, had to pull it down there with tractor. If we had used truck it would have got STUCK.It doesn't take much for that truck. But it was in the hi 50's lo 60's. A beautiful day but too wet to do anything.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7474169

Days like this make me think it is spring again. I love this weather. Not too hot or too cold. I could love this climate all year round.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 18, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #7474227

Hi all - I have been outside ALL day - it was great. Raked leaves...

Got a question, I cut back the purple verbena today and wonder if I can throw some mulch on top of it. Will it come on back up through the mulch or do I have to mulch around it? It is in with my knockout roses and I would sure like to put some mulch down, I have that red stuff around everything else so kinda want everything to look the same.

Baby will be home from his visit with mother soon - back later if I can.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #7475038

hi Everyone,
jar617 remind me to post that on the next new thread we will count the days 60 today you say?
seray53

January 19, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7475068

Enid, that mulch maybe too heavy. It will smother weeds so I'd be afraid your plants might not come through it. Go light or around them would be my guess.

60 days! Sounds doable!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7475433

Ok here's the count down to spring...
January 19th to the 31 (including the 19th) 13 days left
February 1 to the 28 ...28 days
March 1 to the 20...20 days

ok 61...so I'm rushing it a bit...forgive me! lol

Geez, you'd think I had too much time on my hands...Maybe I should stick to farming on FB

*hangs head and shuffles out of the room to find a shorter calendar*
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7475980

Hahaha Not to worry. It will get here when it gets here.
seray53

January 19, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7475982

This thread is a virtual time machine anyway. For awhile there we were all a year younger. Spring could come early! :)

Morning all! Hope you have a wonderful sunny day!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7476013

Good Morning to you all. Beautiful day here. Got some poor little succulents tucked into sand with their new little rootone diapers on, hope they make roots. Got a suculent dish yesterday and when I got home had pieces in botom of bag. they broke off and no, I wasn't driving Hubby was lol. Still want to plant some seeds later on today. No Bat babies yet. No seedlings sprouting in Aquarium either but not giving up. Wonderful day.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #7476115

lol Jar..You farm on FB for now, but wont be long you can get hand dirty for real..Almost time for cool weather veggies...Beautiful day here today .. Over cast skies tho with preditions of more rain..I dont know what I am going to do today but I need to find something to do outside.. Its way to pretty to be in the house all day... I saw my neighbor had some pine straw that needed sweeping.. Maybe I'll go do that..I need to it to go between my rows of irises this summer to keep grass down, other wise DH run that big tiller thru there and dig up my bulbs.. Any of you ever used poast herbicide before? A guy told me the other night he uses it between his iris, he has a green house but I dont know.. My DH hates to see grass growing and I planted lots of iries last year it may be something im willing to use.I'd rather fill in the middles with annuals.. .Here what the first 2 rows looked like.. Ive added another row of irises and a row of daylilies... Any suggestions for type of annnual to grow between them, something that comes back yet doesnt compete with the iries for to much space?

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7476125

Morning All - We're enjoying a nice quiet winter here, just a dusting of snow last night. Wifey has the stomach bug and off from school today so I get to cook for a while. Well, I cook most of the time anyway so that isn't such a big thing for me, will probably do some laundry, too. I'll tend to her and also take some time to sort through my seeds for Spring.

Okay, everybody knows I'm a sunflower fan, so I'm packaging up three different types this year for those who want to try:

Small Black Seeded - short 2'-3' stems with 4" flowers
Large Black Seeded - larger 6' 7' stems with 10" flowers
Gray Stripe Mammoth Russian - huge 8' stems with 12" flowers

I have plenty to share, contact my D-Mail if you want if you want to try some in your garden. I'll let you ladies in on this first, anything left over I'll send to Arejay's newbies.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7476136

I bet they will take root...I bought some type of ground cover at walmart last year (noid) sedum of some sort im assuming.. I potted it up and set it aside really not paying any attention to it..It sat out during freeze..I walked by it yesterday while out piddling in the yard.. It had the prettiest red color all over...Guess im going to move it around somewhere I can appreciate it ...Now that I've abused it I guess I'll try to take care of it..
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7476166

I love those dwarf sunflowers... I like the large ones to, but the heads tend to droop and there not as pretty tho the birds and the squirrels dont care if they are drooping!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7476171

Hi Al - nice to see you...

I'll send you a d-mail about your sunflower seeds...

Kelly
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7476177

Hi Al, sorry about the wife being sick. That is no fun. I love the sunflowers. You have some beauties, that is for sure.
Suppose to be 65 here today and it is started out right. Soooo nice this morning with sun shine already warming everything.
I just hope my babies don't poke their little green heads up too soon because of this weird warm spring feeling weather and then get zapped by winter's cold blast from the past again.
Soooo not fun!
Fixing to go out to the greenhouse since I haven't looked inside for a few days to see if anything is surviveing in there. Probably will need water on some stuff.
Later. Have a great sunny day.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7476228

Hey, Al. So glad to see you.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
12:55 AM

Post #7477559

Hi everyone Speedy recovery at your place AL love the sun flowers...Jar dont feel too bad has anyone mentioned even if you get it right I may type something and Spring could come tomorrow. Im date handicapped ask anyone here they will tell you with a story I am sure...Good to hear about warm weather and sunshine. I am so ready it is een too cold and snowy to winter sow here yet...Soon it has to be soon .
Sun ,Sun, Mr Golden Sun Please shine down on...Please shine down on...please shine down on

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
1:12 AM

Post #7477624

We are ready for sunflower weather, Al.
It is too early to plant sunflowers, isn't it??
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2010
1:38 AM

Post #7477727

Ya think? I got one about 2 feet tall in the greenhouse. Let you know when it blooms.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
2:34 AM

Post #7477898

You know, That is one thing I haven't grown here is sunflowers...I think I may just try that and collect them for the birds next winter...got lots of those!

Well, I finally got brave and went into town today...first time since my doctor visit earlier this month...my kids tell me if I could order groceries online I would just so I don't have to go out in the cold...didn't have the heart to show them this link...

http://www.amazon.com/grocery-breakfast-foods-snacks-organic/b?ie=UTF8&node=16310101

Or this one if you live in Seattle
http://fresh.amazon.com/

I just hate the cold...suffered from frostbite when I was in my teens and never was able to enjoy the winter much after that. So I bundle up and wait it out til spring...like an old bear...although my kids would like to use another "B" word for it!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
2:51 AM

Post #7477943

Jar they should call my kids they can group therapy it!! I dont like the winter...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 20, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7478172

im new here but i see im in good company don,t like the cold either. any form of it. i turn several shades of blue and purple. please don,t call my kids, they group therapy me all the time when you get to my age you just need help, forget about the theraphy i think i would live longer without it. im just getting over shingles had them on my face and head, acording to my kids i had thes because i don,t eat right. oh well we are not all perfect. have garden club tomorow guess i should conserve my strength and go to bed. but my cabin fever is real bad tonight i will start lookin foward to the seed you are going to send that will be fun. donnette
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2010
4:21 AM

Post #7478193

Hi and welcome aboard. Good to get new folks on here and new ideas to start out with.No blue or purple people hanging out here, just us red necked gardeners. Some of us like the snow, when we can get some. Some of us (and I won't call any names,) hog all the snow and keep it up in maine. *&%$#@!!
OH WELL, welcome and jump in when you have time.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7478380

Welcome Little Nettie...glad to have you here...I'm new too but just to let you know, this is a great group to get to know...and they are all so helpful...
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7478603

Well, welcome and good morning. I woke up when the rain started and can't get back to sleep. So here I sit with my cup of RoseBud tea and all by myself.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7478612

Don't feel bad Marti...I have a cup of Earl Grey and can't seem to drag my butt to bed yet and my tea is decaf
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7478614

Well I went to be around 11:30 last night and now I'm up again. I like herb teas because they have no caffiene. I drink enough soda with caffiene in it. Regular teas tear up my stomach.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 20, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7478857

Happy Day All!! Looks like half of you were up drinking tea all night - when I wake up in the night I go straight for the hard stuff!! Milk! LOL Y'all though I was gonna say something about booze didn't ya?
Been working on my lawn furniture, oiling, sanding... I have decided one of my benches needs to have some people on it - now if I can just figure out how to make them. I would kinda like to have a couple of ladies drinking tea; hats, fancy dresses, tea cups... I don't know how to make a face so guess this project will wait awhile. I need to find a couple of wigs - one brown, one blonde. Bet I can come up with something from garage sales this year.
It is 44 right now - foggy!! I am home for the rest of the week - guys going to Tulsa and don't want me along.

Well, off I go to get my day started - everyone have a wonderful day and we will chat later! Lori

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7478872

Good morning, girl. 41 here and the sun is shinning and got some Moonvine seeds to plant. Hope it not to early. Poor hubby better watch where he sits, he will be surrounded by plants. Good thing he likes plants. Starting out beautiful, anyway.
Welcome, littlenettie. You will love these girls. Very helpful and wonderful people I should add we also have a couple of gentlemen who joins in our conversations too. Wonderful group.
seray53

January 20, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7479213

Morning Everyone!

Welcome littlenettie! We'll keep you laughing here so stick around. Nice sunny day today. Working, can only peer out the window wishing I was digging.

When I was a kid we made people Enid. Stuff clothes for the basics then you can dress them up. Panty hose, old shirts. We used a pillow case for the face tucked into the clothes. Put a wig and hat on them. Painted them up. You might do a 3D one using a plaster of paris over a mask. Or a chicken wire face with gauze soaked in paste over it. You can water proof it later once it's painted. Sounds like fun. Garden people project? LOL

I'll need coffee for that one. :) ☃ Snowman for you Mekos ✐ Poinsettia petal pencil for you Robin ♥ Hugs to the rest!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7479228

Hi littlenettie and welcome to our crazy little group!

Very wet and cool here this morning. Rained and rained and rained some more all night long. Little break today and the rain moves back in tonight through the weekend!! I'm lovin' it, but wish it would save some for the summer when we really need it - lol. My backyard was looking rather lake-like this am - lol. And I need to get into the garden to cut some greens or maybe broccoli for dinner, if I can get to it without falling on my behind in all the water/mud.

Robin - you send mekos some snow right now!! Play nice...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7479240

/\ /\
( o o )
) (
( ..)
Couldn't do a mule, but this will do Til I can figure something else out!!!!!!
Do you all soak Moonvine before you sow them? Getting ready to plant and have them in a cup
with some water.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 20, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7479562

Wow RRM - I know something!! You know I don't know much

Lori's way to grow Moonvine
Nick seed
soak over night
wrap in wet paper towel - (stick em between two sheets)
seal in zip lock bag
fill bag with air (I seal it around a straw, fill bag full of air and finish sealing)
throw bag under kitchen sink

Wait ( I can't remember how long but two months is WAY to long - not that I have ever done that)

Once the little guys sprout plant them up (I used an egg carton)
Sit them in a sunny window, don't let them dry out and plant them when they have at least two full sets of leaves.

Ta Daaaa...Moonvine!
Lets Grow!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7479569

Alright. but guess what?? I put them in those little peat pots that exspand. They are very wet, with a splash of peroxide. Will keep them wet for a day or so. I hope they make it. But if someone gives me another bunch of seeds I am going to grow them YOUR way.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 20, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7479582

Good luck with that RRM - let me know if it works - looks like a lot less typing! Did you get the ones with the tray and dome or just the loose ones?
Why peroxide? Some other voo doo garden stuff I haven't heard of??

Jump right in here littlenettie, these folks know everything!! Heck when I was just lurking I learned how to make Apple Dumplings and they were GOOOOOD!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7479626

Welcome littlenettie hope you enjoy it here and don't believe everything you read

Enid so glad you like the Apple Dumplings LOL that sure was one favorite recipe among you all.

Well I'm off to crochet awhile hoping to get the current projects finished this week

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7479644

The peroxide in the water helps keep the water clean. It is a good voodoo, like the cinnamon. Speaking of teas Chamomile tea is a good astrigent for seeds to try to keep the dampoff away. I'll let you know if they make it or not. I have one Moonvine I brought in last winter and it has a bud on it. Now, just got to wait for it to open.
seray53

January 20, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7479753

RRM your moonvine seeds should sprout like you did them. Enid two or three days under the sink will bring them out.

I soak mine overnight in warm water. Plant them up and Wa LA ( how do you spell that properly?) in a few days you'll see the first sprout of green. They will grow like crazy and the cotyledons are moon shaped. Easy seeds!

I'll send you more RRM if yours don't come out. Anyone else want a few seeds? dmail me.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7479835

I got seven in my packet and hope they come up. Hope it isn't too early.
My one little hige is still alive and still reaching for the light.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7479898

VOILA

The expression which means “behold!” is voila. It comes from a French expression literally meaning “look there!” In French it is spelled with a grave accent over the A, as voilà, but when it was adopted into English, it lost its accent. Such barbarous misspellings as “vwala” are even worse, caused by the reluctance of English speakers to believe that OI can represent the sound “wah,” as it usually does in French.

“Wallah” is a Hindi word for a worker, and “Walla” is half of the name of the Washington State city of Walla Walla.

There's your word lesson for today!!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7479914

Hi littlenettie welcome to the forum. Hope you al are having a nice day... Overcast wet haze in the air...I made a few more WS containers and moved a few bricks for a walkway..Tired but need to get the stepping stones down and mulch poured rain gets here...I bought some of that rubber mulch from walmart I wont plant in it but, hoping it will help stop the boys from tracking in so much dirt in the back door..Talk to you later..
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 20, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #7480059

Ummmm - RRM what do you use cinnamon for besides cooking?

Seary - can I have some moon vine, please please please - I have 5 seeds now but would really like some more! I was gonna buy a couple packs of commercial ones but if I don't have to... A little fairy I know said a package was sent your way today - does that make you feel quilty enough to send me seeds???

Loca - thank you very much for the vocab lesson. I have been using those words wrong for years! Not that I was planning to change my ways but it is nice to know how the words are really used.

Mindy - so you are the quilty party - those were wonderful! We had them for Thanksgiving dinner with our prime rib.

Nettie - where did you go?? Hello Nettie, come back...

I gotta go do something constructive now!

Nettie - where did you go??

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7480094

We scared her away already...

Maybe cue let 'ol Lucy loose again...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7480178

Durn that Lucy!!!! Cinnamon helps with the damp-off, to keep it as a atiseptic. Something like that. Besides it smells better than dirt. lol
Walla walla means worker, worker. Wow!
Where is cue, not seen her lately???
seray53

January 20, 2010

Post #7480227

VOILA!!!! Thanks for the education Loca. I knew I could count on you! I'll remember it because it looks like viola only spelled wrong. LOL I used to do private duty nursing for a French lady when I was young. She couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak French. We did ok after a fashion. Her SIL was a chef and it was the first time I tried truffles. With scrambled eggs of all things. Spent 8 hours in the Paris airport once and that's as close to the French culture that I've been. Guess I need to get out more. LOL

Seeds will be in the mail tomorrow Enid. You'll love the vine. Next year you can send them to Arejay! You will have a ton of seeds!!!! The vine gets big. The leaves are big and when the buds unfurl they look like soft ice cream. Smells divine.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010

Post #7480246

Well Enid if you don't want to be tempted with those apple dumplings you can just throw the recipe away and forget about them.

Update on nephew...he's had a slight setback this week running a fever and they had to give him blood on acount of his leg but they say they will release him next week on the 27th. Unfortunately that's too soon for his mom to be able to care for him since he will need 24/7 care so she's decided to send him to his big sister who is going to be home all the time after Friday. He won't like it since his sister is bossy being the oldest but it's really better for him she'll make him do what he needs to. Tomorrow is his birthday and I plan to try calling him to wish him a good day.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7480251

Oh, Lord. Sounds like He is going to need a lot of prayers. The sister is too.
If one is as contrary as the other, there's gonna be t-r-o-u-b-l-e.
I wish them both luck and prayers.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #7480262

OH they are contary with each other alright. She's the oldest he's the youngest and only boy and inherited my sister's dislike of being told what to do. There's another girl in between them but she lives further away but will boss him around too if she feels the need to just not as bad as the oldest one.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
11:24 PM

Post #7480346

Poor kids. Maybe they learn to love each other.
I hope so.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 21, 2010
2:34 AM

Post #7480817

hi everyone just got back from the fall apart store, was out of food and a few things i won,t talk about. i think im gona need the list for apple dumplins.my bunch would eat the legs off the table if i would let them. i made it through garden club and kept my mouth shut thats hard for me im always afraid ill explode! oh yes i need to tell arejay i sent my env. today and a few extra stamps. don,t write much just talk on the phone alot.i have learned alot just craweling around on daves garden.now if i could just learn how to spell oh well ill be happy with the apple dumpling dish. it was beautiful here today, saw some of my bulbs were up and blooming spring can,t hide for long.im gona run down to rhe rock garden in the morning, pick that pink hyacinth bring it in and smell it all day. !!!! bonnie lu the digger dog caused this,i know she has been a checking for moles. she told me she un covered that bulb just for me. not so she never stops diging things up. its her thing wonder how many bulbs are out of the ground. dog gone dog.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7481088

Sorry girls, I've been off a couple days. My computer caught a virus, had to call in a techie friend to fix it. We're all better now.

Yes, I have lots of sunflower seeds for those who ask. Just haven't had time to get back to my D-mail list, but I've got you all covered. I'll send them out Friday when I get to the PO.

Darn it's cold here, my seeds don't even want to come out of hibernation, no matter how hard I try to germinate. It's like a miracle next month they'll sprout just fine. Maybe if I send them South they'll feel warmer. I know you girls will take good care of them. Maybe I'll come, too. LOL

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 21, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7481121

lycodad may i please have some of your sun flower seed. if you have extra. donnette
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #7481464

Good Morning all.. STormed here most of the night... Looks like we got couple of inches of rain...The temp was almost 70 yesterday.. wow now im scared those poor lil seeds I WS are going to sprout right here in Jan...Supposed to be up around 60 rest of the week...Lol always something to worry about huh..I bet all that rained really packed those poor lil seeds down in there containers last night... ha I was tempted to bring them in like babies...I just got them all hauled outside, I guess this year will be a learning experience for sure...Ok I'm off to get the troops out of bed and off to school talk later..
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 21, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7481512

Dang huney, does it do anything but rain in Arkansas? Rained here a little bit last night too - not enough though, we are dry, dry, dry!! I was out giving my poor irises a drink the other day and my neighbors looked at me like I was a crazy lady. Of course, they always think I am a little off, oh well, keeps them wondering.

I have been threatening my family with the Mrs. Edwards look. She was an old retired lady that was our neighbor in Kansas when I was little. She would wear those knee length house dresses in the yard and when she bent over to pick weeds or whatever, you could see her panties. She was not a small woman and I can remember my parents snickering. She was a mean old lady - now I know why. She didn't want anybody in her yard messin' with her plants.
The point here is, I have one of those dresses and I have been threatening to wear it while I do my yard work. The only thing I would do different for my neighbors is leave the panties off. They deserve to see my bare behind!! No one out here can mind their own business - they always want to mind mine!

What I really need is something really, really ugly to plant where the neighbors have to look at it when they look out their new picture window. That will show them!!LOL

You folks have a great day - can't wait to get my seeds seary, I will get those started right away, I even know where they are going to go!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7481658

Morning everyone. We also had rain all night and still raining. Darn. We're getting our new water heater installed this morning. Hope the rain doesn't delay that project. I want a hot shower.
seray53

January 21, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7481767

I think you should make a Mrs. Edwards garden people Enid. Complete with the no panties look. Maybe you could have her planting a devil's walking stick. If she was thin and witchy she could go goth. LOL Keep the dress though that's a classic.

Morning all. Looks like we are going to have to send life jackets to you again Huney.

Hope your wife is getting better Al. Nice FL sunshine does wonders for winter blues. My seeds are like yours. Hate to get out of bed.

March 17th is St. Patrick's day and Savannah is the town for partying. They start spring with a bang here. You don't want to be near downtown unless you like crowds, music, kids, pork barbeque, seafood and green beer. They have special buses to haul people from the surrounding areas to the party. I'm about 30 minutes from downtown and the bus leaves every 30 minutes from Kroger. They carry the parade on the local stations. It's gossipy. "Look there's Bob riding in that Hummer! He caught the biggest bass in the tournament this year". LOL By the time they wrap it up and recover from the hangovers it's spring!!!!

Raining today. Hope you have a good one!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 21, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7481800

Now there's a thought - stay drunk til spring. Maybe I will try that!
Seray, I don't think I should hang out with you- I think you would MAKE me cause trouble. LOL The Mrs. Edwards people for the neighbors to look at out their new big window would be a hoot! Think I will work on that. Could stuff panty hose with polyfill, make a body and bend her over - that is on my must do list.
I think I will head off to the thrift store now - bet I can gather inspiration there!
seray53

January 21, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7481903

Glad to help! LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7481932

candles - I like the idea of the Mrs. Edwards person too. Seray always comes up with great ideas - lol.

huney - I think you sent your rain my way. It has been raining almost non-stop since Monday with the exception of yesterday it was sunny and 65° and just beautiful. Then last night it started again. Downpour. Not supposed to stop until the weekend and then rain moving back in by mid-week. They say we could get up to 7" of rain before it's done. We're so not used to that - flash flood warnings all over as the washes (arroyos) fill up - it's crazy stuff. Last I checked my gardens had not washed away - lol...

Just for comparison, our the average annual rainfall total at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is 8.3 inches ...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7482088

We getting rain too. loca, off and on all day. With the sun shinning in between. It is a beautiful day 57 degrees.
Oh, Lori, you are so wonderfully Goofy. I'm with seray, maybe we all need a ms. Edwards. I'm going to do mine with my little skeletons.
Maybe I'll have one of them bending over. Got to sew them some clothes too. That should be interesting.
Went to Dr. for chck-up, I had them laughing before I left. I think they like to see me. I love to see them laugh. Whe I go in they are rather sober, but by the time I leave they are all laughing.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7482802

Uh oh - have you guys seen this???

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070861/

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 21, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7482874

Oh boy, that don't sound so good. Leave it to "corporate" to mess up a good thing!! How incredibly sad for Dave - he has put his heart and soul into this site. I have a computer background (yes, believe it or not, I am college educated - I just choose not to act like it) he has to be extremely proud of his accomplishments here. This is a very well thought out site. BOOOOO to however it is that took Daves position away!!!
seray53

January 21, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #7482918

I vote with you Enid. So if we have to find another site we have time to plan ahead. Maybe we could talk Dave into starting again. Look at the renewal with Apple after Jobs came back.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #7482957

ok, I am new here and not sure what this really means...I thought this was a site some guy decided to start and is his own private thing...so how can someone buy it unless he offered it for sale? And if he offered it for sale, why didn't he negotiate a way to stay on and keep things running...I was going to renew my membership for the whole year but now I'm not sure what to do...You veterans know anything?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
9:47 PM

Post #7482974

I don't think anyone really knows too much at this point besides what I read in that thread. It's all the talk on our SW forum so I'll keep you all posted. A lot of the peeps on that forum all came over from GardenWeb and have been around Dave's a long time...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #7483089

We also lost a longtime DG member to a very tragic accident this past weekend. If any of you knew MichaelZ or read his posts he was a great guy with a great sense of humor...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070713/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #7483121

So sorry to have lost a good man that loved life.
May Michael rest in peace in the glorious gardens of heaven.
Yes, he did have a very good sense of humor. Rest in Peace,
walk in spleandor.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 21, 2010
11:19 PM

Post #7483283

I suspect everything will remain somewhat the same. The site has gotten too big for them to make bunches of changes and run everyone off. It is sad that Dave lost his pet project but we don't know what was going on in the background either. Obviously there was something in a contract somewhere that allowed the buyout.

I ain't gonna worry, I am gonna make a Mrs. Edwards and grow stuff!!
seray53

January 21, 2010
11:33 PM

Post #7483362

Me too. We're a big bunch of gardening fanatics and we'll probably see more ads etc.

We'll just show em our Mrs. Edwards garden people if we don't like it. LOL I may have to make me one too just in case. I'm gonna use plastic bags for stuffing that'll make her more lumpy. Marriage material. LOL

I'll have to think of another name for her. How about Mrs. Ethel? She was a little lumpy. LOL

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010 6:35 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7483426

Get a skinny pair of pantyhose to stuff and make a rump. I think Mrs. Edwards is a good non-stress project/
I got some baby Desert Rose plaNTs coming up. Yeah!! for me. 1 morning glory came up. Thinking of putting the aquarium in the container with the heating pad. Maybe it needs to be warmer.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
11:45 PM

Post #7483435

Hey folks - a somewhat encouraging update from Dave himself!! Yeah!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070930/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
11:49 PM

Post #7483454

Do you think we should all write him and let him know that we are with him, Loca?
seray53

January 21, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7483476

Thanks Loca!
seray53

January 21, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7483483

Post on the link RRM. The more posts the louder the message!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
12:00 AM

Post #7483506

You know I will. I don't want to try to chase him down to see where he goes. Getting too old to run after young men!!!!!☺

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010 7:01 PM
seray53

January 22, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7483518

Mrs. Ethel will catch em for ye! LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
12:08 AM

Post #7483538

We can load her rump up on a big red mule that I know very well.
HHHEEEEEEHHHAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
She won't knowwhat happened to her little ragdoll self.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7483542

Dave is staying on. YA!!!
seray53

January 22, 2010
12:10 AM

Post #7483550

She'll be up for it RRM! LOL

Hopefully they can work something out with him.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
12:12 AM

Post #7483557

Dave posted on another site that the new company has been talking to hima nd was upset that someone told him he had not place with them. He is in talks with them as they say they want him to stay on and have a place for him. He will keep us informed.

Check out http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pm/564042/

message from Dave

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010 7:15 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
12:14 AM

Post #7483572

I get tied up with family for a few days and get busy and come back to find everything reaking havac. Has LUCY been on the loose again?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #7483584

mekos, Dave's garden has been sold to another company. First reports were that Dave would not continue with Dave's garden. Everyone was ready to jump ship, but Dave posted a message to not panic. Things are being worked on and he has been told there will be a place for him at new company

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7483596

I'm still trying to figure out who "Lucy" is..
My Mom had a goose named Lucy, Lucy Goosey!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010

Post #7483599

Well, they better find him a GOOD place or we'll just have to start another garden place. WHO do they think they are? We WILL set LUCY loose if they Don't find him a good place.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7483609

Hehe RRM, I had one named that too. Too funny. It bonded with our big boar goat and when we gave him away, she went too. They were inseperable. Lucy the goosey. She would chase anything that threatened the goat.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
12:25 AM

Post #7483625

My subscription will be due in March. I sure hope they don't screw things up or;
Yeah, we will have to set Lucy after them with a vengence.
seray53

January 22, 2010
2:22 AM

Post #7484150

Lucy is Cue's side kick RRM. Cousin to the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors". He gets loose occasionally. LOL

The general manager of the new company just posted on this link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070930/

seray53

January 22, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7485927

Afternoon Everyone!

Looks like things are going to be ok in this garden. If you haven't been to the above link it's pretty clear we are like minded about DG.

I have my nose in a cinnamon candle that Mrs. Edward's creator sent me. Smells wonderful. Thanks again Enid! Are we still in shock or are we back to gardening today? ♧

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 22, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7485937

I am gardening!! Actually, I am diggin up the daylilies I planted this fall. I was in a hurry and kinda sick of planting stuff when they went in the ground sooooo... their spot has to be leveled up, it looked horrible. Looked like I had been drinking Mojitos with Mekos while I was digging.LOL...

Dang Seray, Mrs. Edwards intended to send you a cherry vanilla candle - oops, maybe she will send that one later.
seray53

January 22, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7485957

I'm doing tax stuff. NOT Supposed to be doing it. Mrs. Edwards did sent me a cherry vanilla candle. Smells just like cinnamon to me. I just open and sniffed. Didn't read the label. Guess I wouldn't make a good blood hound huh! LOL

These are yours are they not? :)

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010 2:06 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7486193

I got a pkg. too!! Lori outdid herself. I don't care if she is muddy. I was afraid I was going to be when I went to feed the chickens. got to get some sand in there. Now that, would have been a yucky mess.Fell in there one other time. got my knee muddy. Better my knee than my rump what damage that might have done to my poor old washing machine...lol
I love my Candle,
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 22, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7486250

Are they my what?? If you are asking if I made them, yes I did. Don't confuse me, I have been beating myself up over sending the wrong candle and I didn't send the wrong one afterall. Maybe if you are really nice to me I will send cinnamon next time!

RRM - did you find your doodad or did it get lost in transit? (That would be from my hand to the box but anything can happen around here.) You and Mekos got the "special" fish bowl candles because without you, I would have had some kind of melt down over Christmas!
Seray and Arejay got plain ole cherry vanilla candles - tell them how beautifuuuullll the "special" candles are; maybe they will send me plants, or seeds or clothes for Mrs. Edwards. LOL I got her legs stuffed today. Everytime I come in for a break, I work on her. The wind is blowing so hard out there today you can't stand to be out there more than an hour at a time!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7486284

Don't forget to show us, we want to see Ms. Edwards. I already want to copy her. Yes, I found a little Ladybug. So cute. Got her on my Aquarium with the Insect eaters. Oh, My!! Maybe I should move her. They may go into a trauma!!!I love my fishbowl. It is just beautiful.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 23, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7486709

enid this house on the way to town has a man mooning in the frount yard. its a scarecrow made with strow and pumpkins so good some people might find it offensive i thought it was good fun. his head was a pumpkin and so was his behind. oh well dont know where you would get pumpkin this time of year. wish i had a picture of it.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7486768

You could use gourds. Birdshouse gourds would make good rumps. There is a place In Fayette County that has gourd people decorations. They are really nice. They put them out in the fall. It is a nursery that used to sell retail but must have had too much so have changed over to whlesale. Can't remember the name.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 23, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7486986

is she gona be a country bumpkin,southern lady, bar maid, cow girl ,red neck, garden gal, big moma , with hat and gloves, weed puller, we can,t dike her out if we don,t know where she is from. if she is from arkansas you dont have to have shoes. i have a cotton mop head somewhere around here that doesnt fit on anything make a good head of hair.you just got to give her a personality i will be glad to send mop-hair.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2010
1:47 AM

Post #7487000

You can make your own and take a pictures,
doesn't that sound like a good thing to do???
Are you going to be with us this Spring when we start our Goth, Ungoth and Friendship
gardens? You are very welcome to join us in the garden, what ever one you should chose.
Any or all???
Charley, my mule, would love to have another girl in the garden.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 23, 2010
2:28 AM

Post #7487145

i don,t go very far fro home if i don,t have to. i get bad car sick. we live 5 miles from town i don,t to town if i don,t have to. sounds like fun. guess i could post pictures of my black flowers.got lots of big oak trees in the yard. have to pick and choose where to put every flower,plant ,shrub, sometimes it makes me crazy. people are bad to come by and if im not home they just take whatever they want and go. that made me mad for a while but i got to thinking thats there problem not mine.stuff seams to grow back 2 fold anyway. you come see me i have a big front porch and 3 swings thats why i don,t get alot of work done. you all have a nice evening and stay out of trouble.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7487364

HI Everyone
Still need lots of prayers for my nephew. Turns out they were trying to send him home knowing he was really sick since Sat and only said they send him back to hospital after being told he would have to go to a nursing home until he was able to use crutches to get through doorways. (everyone's doors are too narrow for his wheelchair) He has a scab on his leg that's infected really bad and they weren't taking care of it properly until today. He has to have the surgery on his leg by Monday at the latest. His dad and oldest sister are going up there tomorrow to throw a fit on him over that because his mom's health isn't good enough for her to do it. So keep him in prayers.

Good news for today is I have 3 baby lavendar plants popped up since yesterday. From seeds I collected off my own plant no less BIG BIG SMILES .

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7488051

good morning all...Littlenettie I didnt realize you were from Ar...Ha the Mrs Edwards doll idea is to cute..Cant wait to see picture.. You all are very creative.. Can you all believe I have lil green sprouts already in one of my winter sowing jugs.. my Dianthus baths pinks...Think I should spread sphagmus moss over them try to keep them dark for a lil bit longer? its way to early for them to be up I would think lol this warm weather in January gonna fool all my bulbs and flowers into thinking spring is here...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7488153

Good Morning All.
I have some baby Desert Rose seedlings finally sprouting.
I don't believe they qualify as ws. But am so happy to see them coming up
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 23, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7488663

Just so everybody knows, nothing of mine has sprouted yet. Think I will pout!! Rained here last night thank goodness - we needed it!! I am headed out to do some more yard work - trying to get all my pots and stuff ready now so if spring ever gets here I will be ready to plant. Can't wait!

Worked on Mrs. Edwards a little last night - she has legs! I will post pics later.

49 here and headed toward 60 - hope it makes it!

Later

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7489155

Hang in there, Lori. When they start sprouting you will have more plant children than you know what to do with.
Yes, I want to see Ms. Edwards Rump-body parts.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 24, 2010
12:43 AM

Post #7489860

hi all long time no see
my puter wont turn on it will go to the shop tomorrow got on a couple of times on my sons play station but typing sucks i am on my wii now so i can be on a little more plus it is on the big screen tv
well for now i am going takes too long to type see ya
blondie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7490082

Hiya everyone! Was just chatting with cue on Facebook! She says to tell you all she misses you. She's been checking in but nobody's been talking - lol...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #7490116

Hey gang - where is Mekos?? I don't think I can work on Mrs. Edwards anymore until I know where Mekos is! Hope this is just her connection problem.

Been wonderin' where you were too Blondie - dang computers anyway!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2010
2:45 AM

Post #7490129

Oh, and Loca, I got my seeds thank you very much!! I also found a little piece of heaven tucked inside. That made me smile three times today - once when I opened the envy and then again with each bite. (I had to gobble it up, can't sit around grinnin' all day, my family would think I was up to something)

I can't wait to get these planted! I am tossing around the idea of planting the smallest ones in a big container by my mail box. That or I can layer them along my fence line - I just don't know.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #7490281

Hey candles! Uh, I don't think the seeds were from me - lol. Maybe Al sent you sunflower seeds with a tasty chocolate bar inside cuz I got one today too...
seray53

January 24, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7490484

HI Guys

Mekos has her GD today I think. Miss you Blondie where ya been!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7490579

I got my candy bar too and three darling little packs of sunflower seeds...it was great!

I also got some other neat stuff in the mail from our dear Heavenscape (Jaye) talk about a great day for surprises...this was it...

I was upset that I could not go meet AnnieBBB today but I have a pretty sick kid...Bronchitis almost into pneumonia...so three hours and two medications later, she is sleeping peacefully...yay!

have a great evening all
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7491421

Oops, thank you Al! Guess I have lost my mind! AGAIN.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7491442

I got my Mg. swap seeds. Oh, I havesome nice ones. Got some wonderful moonvine seed. But the treasure is the George Strait Morning Glories. Oh, they are so pretty from the pic I saw. I love Geo. also got a chocolate one (MG) I never knew there was so many MG.
seray53

January 24, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7491443

Good Morning!

Warm windy today. Sun in and out. Seems like all my plants are suffering in my little hoop GH. Not very steady for temp, not much sunshine lately. Learning experience for sure.

SPRING WHERE ARE YOU! How many days Jar?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7491981

Hi girls, hope everybody got their daily ration of chocolate along with their sunflowers. As it is, I own shares in the Hershey company, a few free samples is good for business so enjoy.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7492042

Well, we have got the rain today. Just got in from feeding the longears,
here came another sweep of rain. Temp is 63 and that is heavenly.
It is getting better Seray. Good afternoon Al.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #7492310

It is 50 here wind blowing like crazy! Supposed to get colder every day this week, lucky me!!

Mrs. Edwards met a catasrophic end last night. Seems the cats had a good time pulling the stuffing from pantyhose - back to the drawing board - guess I will have to play with Mrs. Edwards in the privacy of my candle shop.

You guys have a great day - back this evening maybe.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #7492336

55 and counting Seray...anybody have a quick guide for shortening the calendar? To be honest, this is turning into a better winter than I had hoped for due to lack of ice on the roads and heaps of snow in the drive...my drive is about 1000 long and just can not shovel that much snow! ***sighs...really need to invest in a plow for the garden tractor***

Stupid question maybe, but can a kerosene heater be used to heat a small greenhouse?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7492358

Dog-gone those Cats!!!! The very idea. They got their nerve.
I think the only bad things about using Kerosene would be the fumes.
But the other girls can answer so much better than me.
seray53

January 24, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7492383

We used them in FL Jar. You shouldn't have any problem.

You can also use a propane heater like they would use ice fishing. Just have to vent a little for that one. It will burn up the oxygen during the night without a vent. Kerosene heaters aren't as hot and we never had to vent.

55 days!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7492394

These girls tell me "No Question is stupid" unless I don't ask it.
I'm always asking these girls things, Don't I????
seray53

January 24, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7492451

Yep! Me too. Don't know if you don't ask. Got tired of reading the Dave thread. I guess we'll know when it happens huh? I'll put up with more ads to talk with you guys. Close is just a click away! LOL

Did I read right RRM where you said you planted 5 seeds of black mondo and only one came up? I haven't planted yet but was curious.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #7492458

Yep, planted them same time as the bat seed and only one black mondo come up. But I snitched it!! It was on a plant at Pike Nursery. I felt so guilty, my Momma rollin in her grave. I just know it. Ain't supposed to take anything ain't mine. Still feel guilty. But guess what else I got coming up beside the Desert Rose seed. Moonvine seed. I know I got at least three. I'm going to have a jungle in this house. Do they grow fast??? Help!!!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2010

Post #7492494

We'll see you when you get loose from all those vines!! Good grief, what are you going to do?? Maybe next year you will wait a little while before going sowing crazy!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2010

Post #7492508

Well. durn. People sometimes tell me they take a long time to grow and I wanted them to grow, but durn, they got to be more impatient than I am. These sprouted in just a few days and i didn't do anything special. I did put a little peroxide in the water, but dog gone!!!!
seray53

January 24, 2010
10:46 PM

Post #7492515

The moonvine grows pretty fast. Keep them in small pots until you get ready to put them out or they will stretch for the light. I may just switch the black mondo for some other ground cover. Belles experience didn't sound very promising either.

With this warm weather I'm itching to plant up. I know it's just a matter of time before it's freezing again. It's been over 70º today. I set all my EE's out and sprayed them for aphids. DH watered the GH and it took both of us to get the banana off the floor that had fallen over. Windy and we opened everything up. That's about it for my gardening today. The seed pod on the Brug is still doing well RRM. I checked on it today. We maybe very old ladies before that thing matures. LOL
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7493275

Warm weather is it coming this way??? You all wont believe what I got in the mail today...Mittsy ssent a box full of new seed, Endi sent me a beautiful candle that was so nice of you to think of me Lori honestly Thank You I love it, Mary or Crabgrasscntrl sent a nice package of seeds and several newbies wrote me... I saw someone was making apple dumplings, I didnt see that recipe who's was it? You have all been busy busy what are you making ladies with pumpkin bums? Where are the pictures? Listen I have had a special request for Bat seed too does anyone have any they want to trade off? Seray I am afraid to plant my Brugs,,,THey are doing so well in the rainwater leaves everywhere the ones I have planted now that is another story one leaf on one leaf off.
seray53

January 25, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7493951

HI Arejay

You can have some of our warm weather. Hard on the plants 70º one day 30º the next.
Maybe we could just split the difference and both have 50º.

Plant your Brugs. If they don't make it I'll send you some more. LOL I'll also look for extra bat seeds. I think I passed them all out but may have some tucked away. Hardest dang things to sprout! :)
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2010
10:46 PM

Post #7496372

Don't think we have to worry about mud, or warm weather here for awhile. Snowing and blowing again, must have another 8-10 inches from last night. Maybe in June? LOL
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 25, 2010
11:11 PM

Post #7496469

Well, mercy me, where is everybody? Are me and skellogg the only ones alive today - everybody else musta froze to death.

Wind is blowing like crazy here they are talking about us getting 8-10 inches of snow Thursday - sure hope that doesn't happen.

Been on the road since 4:30 a.m. - gotta take a little nap now

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2010
11:25 PM

Post #7496526

They aren't going to see you til the Spring thaws. Wind blowing here too and sort of cold but not like what poor Skellogg
is getting. You better rest up after all that driving. Don't know where those girls are roaming. Been lonesome all day. I been on and off several times.
seray53

January 25, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7496570

I'm checking in Enid. Glad you and Skellogg are holding down the fort.

Poly blew off our GH last night. Lights went out. Tree limbs broke off. Down right windy. :) No damage just cold wet poly to untangle. If it hadn't blown off it probably would have taken the PVC as well. LOL Still warm enough and the plants thought they had escaped from the zoo. Nice rain. Everyone had a great day of sunshine to enjoy. Myself included.

Tomorrow night 34º. *sigh* Got to cage them back up. 54 days!

Mindy best wishes for your nephew. Sounds like things are starting to get complicated for him.

Hi RRM We've been missing each other. I've been checking off and on too. LOL

Went back to check on Dave's thread. Happy to hear the latest. Looks like things are moving in a positive direction.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2010 6:39 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2010

Post #7496661

I didn't try to keep up after the other thread. they were getting in a rut.
Hi, girl. I think my sundew has some gnats (?) on it's tiny leaves. They are all doing good in their Aquarium. Seray, I noticed one of my neighbors has a Bradford Pear Blown over. The wind was blowing pretty good all day. The sun was shinning and so pretty. But it was quite cool. Don't like cool.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2010

Post #7496679

Hi Everyone. I've been on and off throughout the day just didn't post except to send Robin the apple dumpling recipe. I've joined Curves trying to get in good shape by spring so that took up part of my day.

Seray I think my nephew will be in better care from now on. His big sister quit her job and is taking over seeing to it that he gets the proper care from now on. She's already let them know she's not taking thier word for anything made them show her his leg. They keep saying he may lose it yet she says it's a nice healthy pink color except where that scab is infected no redness or anything suspicious anywhere else. My sister says they are already acting alot nicer and cooperating with her.

Would anyone be interested in a recipe for ham buns? These can be made ahead and frozen and then baked striaght from the freezer and can be put on either the reguarl size buns or the mini ones.

Today's check on my seed trays shows another lavendar up so that makes 4. Been snowing off and on all day today supposed to continue through tomorrow. Word has it that we may get some of that storm that hit TX by Thursday,. Hoping tomorrow is fairly decent as a burial is scheduled for tomorrow in one of the cementarys behind our place.

seray53

January 26, 2010
2:03 AM

Post #7496960

Always up for a new recipe Mindy! Glad your nephew has someone to take over. I'm the oldest I can relate. LOL Four lavender sprouts is a spring sign.

Sundews are great gnat catchers aren't they RRM. Mine are like sticky paper. I'lI need a bunch of them if it stays warm and rains anymore. SAND GNATS!

I have old type pear trees called Callery pears. Ornamental like Bradford. Mine are dying off year by year. The freeze usually gets them. The bark just splits. Pretty when they bloom but when they are old they are pretty messy with broken branches etc. I lost my forest pansy redbud this summer to verticillium wilt. Untreatable. Not a good tree year for some of my old ornamentals. Making way for something new. :)

Dave's been keeping them out of a rut today. :) Where's Mekos?

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 26, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #7497291

I haven't heard from Mekos since Thursday - send dmail and private email - nothing! I hope this is just due to the connection problem she forwarned us about. I hope to $%^# she ain't in jail for shootin' that dog! That's what would happen to me, it could kill three people and if I shot it, I would go to jail. I used to have game rangers follow me around - figured they could keep me out of trouble that way - fishing, hunting...always tried to hedge the rules just a little bit, not now though, I am a grandma - have to show a good example. ROFLOL

I guess I won't complain about the wind here today too much, I didn't see any damage. Of course, if I had a hoop green house, I would have to fetch it from Joeswife in Derby KS. (Actually wind blew out of west all day - kinda different). Gave the trash a new direction to blow I guess, I live a mile west and a half mile south of Wal-Mart and Lowes - lots of trash blows out here from town.

Mindy - glad someone has taken over your nephews care - should make a huge difference for him! We will keep praying for him and his family.
Ham buns - yep, I will try them if you don't mind sharing the recipe. After the dumplings, I'd say you are a pretty good cook.

RRM - sorry I have to work and can't keep you company - the thread has certainly slowed down. When Mekos gets back we should have a contest for a fish bowl candle and maybe some surprise seeds?? Just a thought - seems we need to keep something goin' on to keep us all here.

I have some Christmas cactus growing - if someone would like some, let me know. I will use what's left for trading later. I also have some (I think 4) borros tail started - they are just now taking root. RRM, your begonia is doin' good, you might actually get it this spring!

Gotta go, need to do laundry and get my old granny butt to bed.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7497303

I think mekos got to spend the weekend with her GD for the first time in years! If we don't hear from her by tomorrow I will call her and make sure she's alright. She disappears sometimes - lol...

Nite everyone!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 26, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7497413

Oh my goodness!! Who'd have ever thunk it?? I have sprouts at least two Lupines and 1 Black Eyed Susan Vine - yippee - I can grow stuff!!!
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 26, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7497966

Hello! I don't "talk" much on this thread. I get lost from everyone talking. lol. Here in ohio, we got more snow and cold. I can't wait til spring! I have hibicus growing, passionflowers growing, calla lilies growing, mimosa growing, trying to get bat flowers growing, gerber daisies growing, rosemary growing,...well I am just trying this and that.

Arejay, do you still need bat flowers? I have 3 seeds of a brown bat flower left from planting...I also have a WHOLE lot of seeds for you. I hope you can use them all. lol.
Tish

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 7:02 AM
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7498086

HAM BUNS

1/2 cup butter , softened
1 small onion, grated
1 tablespoon poppy seed
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 1/4 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham (about 8 ounces)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
6 to 8 hamburger buns, split or 16 to 20 mini buns

IN a bowl, combine the butter, onion, poppy seed, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard until well blended. Add ham and cheese; mix well. Divide evenly among buns.

Place in a shallow baking pan and cover with foil, bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes or until hot. Yield; 6-8 main dish or 16-20 appetizer servings.

Nutrition Facts; 1 serving (1each of) equals 300 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat) 58 mg cholesterol, 722 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.

Only changes I make to this one is leave out the poppy seed and use other kinds of cheese. You could try other meats for variety. And if you make ahead leave in dish and cover with foil to freeze then just add an extra 10 minutes for baking since you just pop in the oven straight from the freezer.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7498288

Mindy, the recipes looks easy and would taste great.
Lori, I bet Mekos would like the idea of the fishbowl contest.
Tuck one of those Burros tails in with my Begonia. I bet it
is Beautiful.
I know Mekos is enjoying that G'daughter.
tishrh, you are more than welcome to visit us anytime. Don't matter what part of the states you are from.
We all love to garden in one form or other.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7498412

Oh I bet that would taste great made with shredded chicken and monterey jack cheese...I gotta try that...got a big crowd to feed here every night.
seray53

January 26, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7498528

Thanks Mindy. Sounds good to me too.

Welcome Tish don't feel shy we all get lost from everyone talking. lol We start lost most of the time. It's our trademark!

My guess is Mekos lost her connection. Since I usually guess wrong maybe we'll hear from her later. I haven't gotten any email jokes from her either though. Hopefully she won't stay off long. If she was in jail they would let her loose pretty quick for their own piece of mind don't ya think. :)

When she gets back we'll party. I imagine she'll have a game to go. Fish candle prize sounds good Enid. We can sweeten the pot as we get going. LOL

Have a good day. Stay warm!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7498662

You all are welcome to the recipe.
How about a Valentine's themed game say what's the sweetest garden gift you ever received maybe/ Or the sweetest thing your sweetheart ever said or did?

Cold and windy here today Some snow flurries off and on. I'm working on a pair of mittens for myself hope to get them done in time to wear out tomorrow.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7498715

Beautiful, sunny, day with wind blowing. Brrrr...very deceiving.
Got these ols pecan tree libs movin, hope they all stay up, sure don't want a Rodeo!!!
Too cold to be chasing Longears!!!!!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2010

Post #7499485

Mekos did warn everyone this may happen...she also said it would not take long for her to be back online.

RRM, something tells me those longears as so spoiled you wouldn't be chasing them long! From what I hear, just offer them a cookie and they come running.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7499498

You are not wrong. They are just a tad short of rotten. I don't have to chase them, honey, they chase me. I got pocket Longears. If I go out and call it doesn't take them long to get here. when It's time to get their feet done. No problem. I have them tied before the farrier or the vet gets here to give shots or trim toes. Love my longears!!! ☺
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 26, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #7499940

Ok Seray, guess you are right, they wouldn't keep Mekos in jail long. I bet she would raise quite a fuss about being locked up.

RRM - you are down for a burros tail ( I spelled it wrong yesterday) they are funny little things - I kinda enjoy just looking at it. I will send you a pic so you can see what your baby will turn into.

Been on the road too many hours today - can't sit in front of this computer any longer - going outside to stretch my legs.

Later guys

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7500031

I bet you got the "DUMBUM" syndrom, don't you, Girl??
My brother used to get it when he drove.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 26, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7500079

hey all
need to get a part for the puter this one finger typing is for the birds. just thought i would say hello.
blondie
seray53

January 26, 2010
11:21 PM

Post #7500102

Hi Blondie

Glad to see your post. ☟ One finger or two. :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7500144

Hey, Blondie. How are you doing???

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #7500362

Hiya blondie... guess what? My orchid has two bloom stalks coming up!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
1:36 AM

Post #7500523

HI guys HI Blondie
Well, one mitten finished second one on the needles and of course the dogs and hubby want my attention just when I need to concentrate the most. Mitten looks great too bad it's just a wee bit too big for my little hand pout. Fits hubby just fine though LOL. That's what I get for trying to make them on a size bigger needle than the pattern calls for just cause I didn't want to order the correct size I needed.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #7500977

Just had an ornery thought Mindy...don't do the other mitten until you get the smaller needles! when hubby tries on the second one tell him his hands are growing! Sorry, just came to mind when I read your post...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7501451

LOL Jar you are a stinker for sure. Nope, don't want to wait until the needles get here be a week if I'm lucky we are due a snow storm this weekend if it doesn't head in another direction and I want my hands covered when I go out since it will also be really cold. I can wear these just don't like them that loose.
seray53

January 27, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7502619

Mittens for Mindy! That would be like a find waldo game. LOL

Here's the link for the How to Make Lasagna beds. Getting time to go! 54 days Jar?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Thumbnail by seray53

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7502634

Yea!!! Haw!!! We are ready too. I'm already collecting cardboard for mine.
Went for short Walk. Would you like me to start a "walk in the woods" thread? It is going to be Beautiful when the Azalea's are in bloom. Clematis and everything. Will be so pretty.
This was so pretty, the water was gurgling up asnd there was foam on the water. It was gorgeous.

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7502665

Hello all.. hope you are doing great. My DH was off for a long weekend since the weather was so nice outside we were busy around the house..We got the house all washed down, all the windows washed inside and out, the deck bleached and all my last years flower pots hauled to the shed.. I pulled up some winter grass from my flower beds..Lots of lil babies sticking there heads up and the weather man says it may get down to 18 this weekend..I sure hope it doesnt stay that cold for long...Ok im heading back outside for a while...I have a few wheelbarrels of pecan hulls to spread yet..

seray53

January 27, 2010

Post #7502794

Yes on the walk in the woods RRM. It will be pretty. Picture gallery of the first spring flowers?

Huney I've gotta hand it to you. I think you get the "most work of the week" award. Windows inside and out etc. - impressive!

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010

Post #7502801

HI Everyone Pretty day here if a bit chilly. Snow storm headed our way this weekend though and I'm worrying about my little sprouts out in the plant room. It's not the snow that bugs me be warm enough for them if it snows it's the cold afterwards going to get down to at least 8 one night. I have more lavendar up, cabbage and lettuce starting to spout, and some sweet williams, pinks and geraniums are up today.
Need to catch up with DH to ask if I have enough gas to keep the heater going all night the coldest nights. One mitten done, cuff done on the second one. Needled ordered and hopfully shipped today.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010

Post #7502802

IF you have time ,girl . I have some windows I need to get figured out how to clean, you are a busy lady, honey.
Seray , here's the link...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072202/
Hope you all love it.
seray53

January 27, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7502999

Great walk RRM! Thanks for taking us!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010
10:24 PM

Post #7503157

You are so welcome.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7503164

Alright!! Who's next?
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #7503191

Loved the walk RRM...gave me a lot to think about.

Seray...counting today it's 53 days and counting.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010
10:38 PM

Post #7503200

Maybe, I'll have blooms of some kind in 53 days.
I got to keep an eye out.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
10:40 PM

Post #7503204

Did everyone see riders new thread it is beautiful!! Thank You RIder...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010

Post #7503208

I'll get you some more pic.
Thank you all.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7503245

RRM...bloodroot blooms early in the woods...they are beautiful if you catch them before the deer do...for some reason, those critters love bloodroot...ooohh ooohhh ooohhhh and trillium...I love trillium...does it grown down there where you are?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7503258

I am so lucky. I have bloodroot and mayapple rootlings and I just bought and planted 3 trillium. One red, one white and one yellow. Plus three ferns for the shade garden. I've got everything for now in pots as they started to grow and I had to do something with them. Shade garden area not quite ready.
seray53

January 27, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #7503264

Show us some pictures Marti. Bloodroot is my favorite spring wildflower. And Trillium!! Here's a link with pictures. http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=2569&sid=dc9746a0ddfedbe1c8cd0841816044a3
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7503280

Oh I love trillium there are aall colors here when it stops snowing anyway,the most beautiful purple reddish trillium where I go for blueberries... Ill find that picture It is here somewhere..see you soon.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7503290

I have lots of trillium growing all over the place here...one of the wilderness parks in town has the red trillium growing...alas, mine is just white...but so pretty

Here is the plant file for bloodroot

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55724/
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7503292

I don't have any pictures right now except the packages that the trillium came in and I don't know how to get them on the site. I don't have a scanner. Thats one thing on my wish list. My own computer and a scanner. I'm using my sisters computer for now, but saving for my own.

The ferns I got are:
Osmunda cinnamonea - Cinnamon Fern - up to 4 feet tall
Dryopteris marginalis - Leatherwood Fern - 1 - 3 feet tall
Adiantum pedatum - Maidenhair Fern 1 - 2 feet tall

The trilliums are:
Trillium erectum - red - grows to 2 feet tall
Trillium grandiflorum - White - grows up to 2 feet tall
Trillium luteum - Yellow - Ha citrus scent 8 - 12 inches tall.
Trillium - just says assorted colors. this will be my spring surprise.

seray53

January 28, 2010
12:00 AM

Post #7503425

Sounds beautiful! I love the ferns. Here's the plant file photos on the red one. I've never seen those. Just the white. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1108/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010

Post #7503459

Did you all see the ferns in that one picture??
They have been pretty and green all winter long.
Here they are.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2010 7:14 PM

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #7503715

Yes that's the picture of the red one on the package. I think they are really nice and just had to have them.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7504756

Down closer to the stream there is a larger fern that grows.
I had forgot about that one. Got to wear my boots and splash in
there to see what I can find. Good Marti You will love them.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7504912

Good morning everyone
Supposed to another half decent day here then the snow flies tomorrow and Saturday.
Got my mittens done this morning

Thumbnail by Mindy03

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7505001

All right, Mindy. You did great!!!!
Did you get your new needles yet?
Good Morning to all.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7505181

Nope probably won't get them until Tuesday and that depends on the roads in town UPS won't come in here if it's bad so we have a friend in town who will accept devlivery for us when we need him to. Can't buy the small sizes of anything around here in hooks or needles I've decided that's because the people ordering them can't use them and don't want anyone else to either LOL. I even have a hard time getting ahold of the small size crochet thread usually have to ask if they are going to order more or not before they will stock it.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 28, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7505778

Howdy all! Home today - we were supposed to have a big icy storm coming in last night at midnight so planned not to work, school closed... here it is 1p.m. and nothing! Oklahoma, the land of the unpredictable! They say it is coming, guess we will see.

Mindy, those are really nice mittens!
RRM - great pics - just makes me want to come visit all the more!!

Baby was up all night so I have been napping off and on all morning. He is gonna be the death of me yet!

Have to do some housework today - that or burn the house down - guess I better clean - the yard is looking too good to have fire trucks out here.

Everyone have a great day!
Lori

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7505874

Hey, Lori. Come on down. I know that big truck will make it. I added some more pic today.
Thanks. We are supposed to be getting some bad weather. I know I will be glad to see it warm up.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 28, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7506090

IT"S HERE! Freezing rain now - guess we are gonna get it after all.

RRM - I can go any where in my big truck - however I don't have a tag that allows me to take mine out of the state - guess I will have to come by motorcycle or pickup - this ain't motorcycle weather! A little chilly even for hard core bikers - makes your lips turn blue and stuff!

Has anyone heard from Mekos yet? Dang her for disappearing anyway!

I have about decided burning the house down may not be a bad option - I have made a BIG mess on the carpet with potting soil - I wonder how something like that could have happened? DH blames me, I think it is the fairys - you have to watch them!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7506149

I sent her a card. Maybe she'll write me a note.
Miss her.
I don't want to have to thaw you out before we get to visit.
Can't have your lips turning blue. I'll wait til it warmer.
Those woods aren't going anywhere.
I do that on the kitchen table. I have it sitting everywhere.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7506175

I have some cuutings to mail to mekos. Should I go ahead and mail them or wait for her to contact us?
seray53

January 28, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #7506218

She's there Marti. She told us ahead of time they would cut her off for awhile. She switched from cable to Dish network Then realized her internet was on cable. She's been waiting for them to cut her off before contracting for internet service with someone else. It takes awhile.

We won't let her stay gone for long. I'm sending her stuff too. LOL

I'll join RRM in sending her cards next week if she's not back on. Dying for one of her mojitos. Piggy blankets I can still wait on those. LOL
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 28, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7506319

hey all
loca i hope they bloom for you i didnt notice any on mine yet i hope soon, i hope the ones in the garden made it i kept some in a pot,
hey arejay, i still have yours but thought it better in spring
nice walk rrm i m planning a walk in the woods one day soon before it starts growing back
mindy you are so talented, i just learned how to do the macrame plant hangers, i have to get the puter fixed so i can show my masterpiece lol if you want to call it thatlol
well my hands are getting tired of typing this way
see ya all later
blondie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #7506322

I know and Charley is Shaking his head and wanting her to give him a cookie. She spoilt him in that snowball fight. he wants her back..
HeeeaaaaHHeeeeaaaaHaaaawwww!!! Where's my mekos, at????
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #7507609

Hello all.. I do hope you are managing to stay warm..Theres a cold wind blowing here..light rain starting to fall..Upper part of the state may get some snow..IM so jealous, wish it would snow here, enough to at least blanket the ground in white...I spent the day shopping..Have to take my son to the Dr tomorrow.. Asthma, allergies, sinus infection, cough and congestion..Well I am going over to take Charleens walk, then im off to bed... See you all tomorrow..
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7508174

Good Morning Ladies !
Cold and gloomy here today. Haven't been on for awhile as have been busy with things with my DD and haven't had the time. How is everyone? Hey if a lady shows up here and she goes by kc's mom give her a big welcome. She is a new person.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7508201

Good Morning all. Calling for freezing rain and snow. Wonderful
. Sooner we get it, the sooner it's over with and Spring is on it's way.
I am ready. Today ign is for Above ground Crops and Transplant.
It will be awhile before we can transplant again.
I did get an E-mail from Mekos yesterday afternoon, so that is good.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 29, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7508432

Snowed here - this pic is taken from my window - the birds are lovin' the seeds today!

Guess I am house bound for a couple days - oh well, got plenty to do! Anybody want to come over and help clean the grout in my floor tiles?

I got a forward from Mekos too - at least we know for sure she is not in jail - unless she talked the jailer into letting her use the office computer.

Thumbnail by enidcandles

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7509017

You know, you may be right. She probably bribed him with a Mojito and a sammich.
Charley going to be so jealous. Oh, Mekos would love that snow, Lori. I can hear her now just a whooping!!!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7509200

Morning All I left the good off lol,cause its been pouring down rain since 4 am near 3 inches already I guess while others are getting 6 inches of snow we are getting 6 in of rain...I want SNOW toooooo...I have to get out shortly and pick my son up for Dr appt ..I dread that for sure...Its not so bad if I dont have to go any where lol...The snow is pretty endi...Hope you guys dont get to much of it tho...Enjoyed the walk in the woods Charleen...Id take you guys walking in our woods and show you the huge old cypress trees and knees but we'd have to swim...Maybe when it dries up a lil and get a lil warmer..I hope the rest of your day is a good one..im off to shower then to the school then dr's office then walmart, then to sons girlfriends house its her birthday..im going to leave him there, they are all going out to eat and ill meet them sometime later tonight to pick him up...I think I may blow my diet and go eat chinese food tonight while im out and about...I had tuna and cauliflower for lunch, banana for breakfast, lol the devil is tempting me...I lost another 5 pounds I should prob leave that chinese food alone..sigh...I'll let you know tomorrow who won me or the devil lol... Trish

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7509225

Morning everyone! It's Friday (yeah!!) so that means a busy day at work then off for the weekend...

Candles - even your birdies look cold - lol...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7509270

Honey, that would be great. A coast to coast walk. Yes, Wewould love to see the Cypress knees.
It is cool. When it warms up, I'm going to jump that creek. Check out the other side.
Don't want to jump now, my luck, I'd fall in. If I get wet I want it to be warmer. huh?????
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 30, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7510436

Hey Everyone! It was absolutely georgous here today! Snow on the ground everywhere, but bright and sunny, and about 30 degrees! T shirt weather! LOL But seriously, very nice. Very happy that the bloodroot will grow in 4b, will have to zone push again, and try some. Anxiously awaiting spring pics, but we won't see it here for some time, I'm afraid. I'm just hoping it rears its head before June! LOL Hey Kel, did you get to go see Jeremy today in Scottsdale?
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
3:06 AM

Post #7510796

Ok, just to let you know what all you are doing to me
1) started dieting with Bonjon to get ready for iris season and I am not even sure I have a good kind of irises
2) dragged out the sewing machine from the closet to make a lap quilt with Heavenscape and not sure I remember how
3) dragged out all my stored seeds and started sorting them for trades and round robins
4) tried to make buttermilk biscuits to die for because Al (?) posted the recipe
5)created another pile (cardboard, newspapers, etc) for a lasagna bed and I don't really like Italian..prefer meat and potatoes
6)dragged the treadmill and total gym into the kitchen because the biscuits cut into the diet plans
7)spent hours reading a fairy garden tale and now have kids bugging me to do one...(another pile of stuff collected)
8) had to clean my kitchen because Jaye sent some gorgeous towels and an angel that made me feel guilty about my clutter
9)dusted off my scroll saw and circular saw because Deejay9 sent me a book on simple garden crafts I know I can do
10) worried about Mekos going MIA
11)keeps wondering where Arejay keeps disappearing to
12)spent an afternoon walking in the woods with RidesRedMule
13) wondering how to create a list of home jobs people could do to raise extra money until the economy starts back up because people I now know are suffering
14) spend way more time on here than I should because I read now more than I write
15)can proudly say I know people from all over the nation who are good, honest, decent folks who I would trust to come see me anytime

that is alot for a newbie to take in for a month...geez!...

But I would not have missed it for the world
Thanks guys
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7510913

Funny how a few people can have such a huge influence on ya huh? Also funny how fast they come to feel like family...How you look forward to seeing them every day, or how you miss them when they cant be here...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7511392

I didnt see a buttermilk biscuit recipe Al making biscuits lets meet at his place!! There are two places to visit for snacks and round ups Seray invited us all two months ago and Al I know he would make biscuits for all of us he is just so big hearted. Jar I have to tell you I love your post. Who is cleaning grout did Cue come back I thought she was the only one that did that kind of thing? Who is that? That is the worst job in the whole world. Don't do it just darken the grout and plant some flowers. I am not dieting. Tat is just all there is to that. Sping is on the way and fresh veggies and salads and that is healthy and the excercise that is put into gardening is unmet by all other methods of man made torture so...no treadmills and diets for me. If Jan , Meko is in jail you can put your last dollar on it that she is teaching and or planting flowers to the fellow inmates and if she doesnt get them all to donate seeds she may stay until they see things her way. Well unless Al has found some clever way to mail biscuits to her house like he does Christmas treats and tomatoes. I love the cross country picture thread idea and when I see the first sign of spring I would love to be involved Rider you have found something big there girl I would say that will be so much fun to see from thread to thread across the country and maybe the world, spring flowers from all corners. Maybe Cue will show up in time to narrate!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 30, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7511647

Arejay - I am the crazy grout cleaner - gotta do it - even to put on a color, it would have to be clean first. I wonder though if they make grout dye in dirt color?

Jar - I feel your pain! I have been here since October and have never been so busy - or motivated for that matter. Funny how we can be so far away and have such an influence on each other. Hang in there, a couple more months and you will have so many projects you won't know what to do with yourself!

Painting the bathroom and hanging wallpaper border today. Baby is gone, son is gone - forced DH out of the house - alone finally - time to get to work!!

You all have a great day.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7511697

Whoa Biscuits Already! I honestly don't think it was my recipe, but I do like biscuits though. Mine usually come out of a Bisquick box with a little added crumbled sausage and shredded cheddar cheese on top. The kids all come home for this one! I bought little Livy (now age 3) a mini muffin pan for her and mom for Christmas and she loves it! Made blueberry muffins for a visit last week!

Okay - Anyone have any experience with a so called "mushroom kit"? They are advertised all over for about $30-35 or so. Do they have a season or grown in any old cold damp basement (like mine)? Are the really worth the price and trouble for fresh ones?

Al

seray53

January 30, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7512059

Morning All!

I clean grout only before major company. Guess I'll get started soon to prepare for our spring RU. I'm sort of in the middle of the east coast. Well we can play like anyway. Lots of fun things to do here. Our little town has a huge park with a 3 mile walkway through the marsh. Camping grounds on the marsh. I'll buy the bug spray!

The reason I mention it now is because the new owners IB have told Dave that he's welcome to be a member of DG but they don't really have a place for him. Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072712/
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 30, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7512132

I thought they had the Dave thing all figured out and he was staying. What a mess!!

I got the kitchen border up - now on to the bathroom.

I have not tried the mushroom kits - they sound like a bigger pain than they are worth. I have read lots of reviews frome people who did buy them. I think you get three crops out of your $35.00 - you can mess up and get nothing - each crop is smaller than the last..trying to remember all the negatives. Some varieties they say don't taste "right" - bland, rubbery...opinions vary wildly. I think I will save my money.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 30, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7512320

lycodad they have a big mushroom farm in arkansas they sent a rep down to one of our garden club meetings they plant those on tree logs, certain size and length, can,t remember exactly now but by the time the man fenished his program i was thinking cream of mushroom soup. but i don,t care for dandeion root , wood sorrow,wild vilot ,im just funny like that. we have a speaker at every meeting,but i draw the line on some of that stuff.i did eat some of the jelly made from the wild vilots. im not gona tell all the wild stuff ive had in my mouth . enough said!!!!!!!!!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7512415

I think they grow them in caves, don't they? Wild Moral mushroom grow in Mo. in the Spring. Used to go out looking for them when I was a kid, that has bee a long time too...Love Fried Mushrooms...yummy
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 30, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7512460

red i think they use tarps to cover the logs, but i could be wrong, i think they can only grow 2 crops on the logs then they have to cut and season new ones. just don,t remember as good as i did at one time. husband reminds me it has alot to do with the year 1942.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7512474

Why 1942? I was born in 1946. So that may be my problem too. HUH???
That's why we can keep watching the same shows-we forget what we saw the first time ☺
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 30, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7512524

you have a good point. do you ever dig bulbs up,thinking the spot was empty. i would never do anything like that. we got a good helping of snow and ice last night. my camellia si full of flower buds don,t know if they will hold or drop off, couple of big cedar trees hit bad that will be the husbands problem. they don,t let me lose with a chaine saw. i ask for a front end loader and diger when he got the tractor i didn,t get them he said do you think im crazy. we have alot of rock and i need more flowe garden room. oh well ill live thrugh this little set back.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7512650

Men!!!! I've planted stuff right on top of bulbs before I know it. We can't remember everything!!!!
I told my DH I wanted a bucket truck, I got about the same responce you did. Oh, Well. I have some rock to make a flower bed just had to get me a trail blazed. His brother helped. One way or another we can do it...☺
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010

Post #7512670

Littlenettie...buy a fourwheeler...cheaper than the front end loader and they can pull some nice size rocks...I know...I've done it!! (should have seen the look on my SIL face when it came up on two wheels pulling a really big one!) They don't let me on it often because of it!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7512679

I love that, another reason to borrow my BIL four-wheeler!!!
Wow!! Jar that is great!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7512771

Get r ready Seray!! We will have to wait and see what the change of hands brings I guess. Maybe we will see Dave on our newbie thread!! One thing about change we can certainly depend on it coming wherever we are and whatever we do. Change is inevitable if it did not come then there would be something wrong. Let hope for the best and prepare for the worst and we will be ok. I know how to make a web site so ...dont fret...
Hugs
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 30, 2010

Post #7512784

im working on a plan to expand the rock garden no dirt down there just huge live oak trees. i can work through them need to put me in a walking path but something a wheel chair can get down one of the ladies in garden club could not handle rough stuff and i would like for all of them to come out at the same time. ill figure it out one way or the other. have i waited to late to cut that sweet autum cle. down to the ground. im getting so bad may need a note book to keep dates and things in. id just loose it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010

Post #7512797

Look at it this way...every year the spring changes to summer to warm up the soil and grow BIG tomatoes for luscious sandwiches...summer gives way to fall so we get to enjoy the fruits of our labor and pig out on powdered donuts and cider...fall transforms into winter to kill the bad stuff in the soil and then...and THEN...AND THEN>>>>>>>>>>>>winter gives way to SPRING!!!!!!! to start it all over again...so change is VERY good!!! lol
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 30, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7512810

hey lm not allowed on 4wh. can,t use the rideing lawn mower any more its got a big pull wagon i turned it over in the road. husband says he can,t trust me. lo im not the one with the problem if you know what i mean.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

January 30, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7512826

arejay where did you get off to i mised you
seray53

January 30, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7512939

Thanks Arejay for the words of cheer! I'll dmail you my email and get on the grout!

After I joined Daves I got bold and joined a few more. One said, "I hope you contribute something to this site..." Another one said after I told him I came from Daves "I don't belong to Daves. Why pay just to answer someone else"s questions". One free the other subscription. Others were nice but limited to another country or specific plants.

No place like home. :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7512970

somebody better e-mail me.I'm sure feelin helpless. Subscription up in May. You all go, takke me with you. Seray and arejay...
Wahhhh!!!!!
I'm just waiting to see what is going to happen I guess like everyone else. I know they are getting worried too.
No place like home ...☺
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7513029

HI Everyone well we got our big snow as advertised. I think there's about a foot out there. DH said there was already 9 inches when he went out this morning and did his measuring. It's snowed more since he did that. Very pretty out but mailman won't be able to get in here for a week if he doesn't have 4wh drive.
I'm being lazy today went outside teice to tend the chickens and played with the younger dogs in the snow. It's so deep they have to hop to see where the heck they are going.
Here's a picture for you to enjoy. This is my side yard towards the neighbor's property next to us.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7513050

Very pretty, Mindy. Did your husband wear the mittons?
He needed them today.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7513076

Thank you Charleen. Nope he has work gloves. My pretty mittens wouldn't hold up to feeding the cattle LOL especially if he has to drag one out of a pond. He took the picture though. I would love to put a water garden in that side yard just below that rock sticking up.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2010
10:24 PM

Post #7513208

Dont not even one of you worry one more minute...about the change. I have many of your private emails and remember I have sent seeds to all of you or most all of you. I will find you if they turn us off. Feel free to dmail me with your personal emails. I know Flower has my email and Seray and Meko. So someone can always find me...and if you send me your email addresses I will send out an email to you . I dont remember which of you siad it but you are right. There is no place like home and Dorothy home is where the heart is and the heart is where the people that love you no matter what are and kiddos that happens right here on this thread and this thread can be reproduced anywhere anytime. Honest we will find each other and start over if need be. Right Seray, Jar, Endi, Little, Kelly, Mindy, Flower, Al,Rider,Mittsy, Huney , Enid,Skell, Marti, Blonde, Remember we will continue no matter what dg does or does not do.
Now enough of my going ons, lets garden!!Spring is how many days away???

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7513291

yeah, Jar, How many???
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 30, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7513301

hey all
how is everyone
rainy out today got some seeds planted finally.
nice snow pixs it is in the 70s here kinda hoped for snow but i guess not this year lol
i need a lot of plants for the ones i lost gives me a reason to visit my favorite nursery.
i guess i am going to start dinner have a good evening
my computer repairman is coming over next week to fix the dern puter finally this one finger typing stinks
blondie
seray53

January 30, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7513417

Love your picture Mindy. Peaceful. Quiet. Thanks for sharing.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
1:49 AM

Post #7513831

You are welcome Seray. Yes it's peaceful and quiet here when the neighbors are in FL hardly anyone comes in here though I'm sure some dumb bells have or will try to come in our road. It's a steep short hill off the highway and you better be moving fast coming in or have 4wh drive or you'll slide all over the place. I've never drove it without 4wh drive myself but have been with DH and his dad both when they came in lots of bouncing around until you get to the flat section LOL. Really fun in a Mustang with 10 wide tires LOL. Might walk out the road tomorrow and take pictures for you all. We ended up with 10 inches here with some drifts 12 inches.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7513857

It really is pretty. Too bad Mekos can't see it and be hollaring for another snowball fight.
You got a pretty good snow. We just got rain. Sure is filling the ponds and creeks.
Hey! When you all go out for those walks, check yourself for ticks. I got one. Durn thing buried
himself in me. I got him out, but got a red spot where he was.
Charleen
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:04 AM

Post #7513874

Mindy, I've been watching people try to drive on the road today. Its been funny and I live on a dead-end street. For the first time in the 10 yrs my sister has lived here, they come down the street with a snow plough. She says she's never seen on on this road before. Of course, the mailman could not make it down the road so we think thats why the plough came though. We have between 6-8 inches of snow. Me? I'm not even going to try to drive in this stuff. My car is still set up for Calif weather as far as tires go. Havn't had the money to buy different tires.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #7513886

RRM, becareful with them ticks. My sister developed Lime disease from tick bites she got last Aug. She spent 10 days in the hospital and is still having problems due to that bite.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
2:10 AM

Post #7513896

I put Triple antibiotic salve on a bandage on it. If it doesn't look any better I'll ask my DR. about it. It sure looked bruised and bloody.
You know ,as you get older yor skin gets more delicate (?) anyhow I'm watching it. Got to get some good insect repellent, Ticks are bad down there.
Thanks Marti
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:15 AM

Post #7513916

No worry on ticks on my walk won't be any along the road where I'll be walking. We do have to watch for them from the dogs though they are in the pine trees on the property and the dogs go under them. DH got bit on his neck last week from one that lil Smokey gave him. Made a big place and hurt but it seems to be clearing up now.
DH took two more pictures besides the one I posted but I didn't want to clutter up the thread LOL. Not to worry Mekos will get to see mine once she's back on here again and I know her email address I'll email them to her if I have to.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7513918

I always thought ticks died out during the winter, but the mini doxy came in the other day with a tick behind her ear. Got rid of that thing will quick!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
2:22 AM

Post #7513939

You know little rascals, feel your body heat as you go under treelimbs and jump on you. He imbedded himself in my should. They can move very fast. Mindy, you're right they will crawl off a dog onto you in a heart beat. I fear them more than the smnakes. The snakes will slide away, thise darn ticks will come right at you. I thin they just wait til the critter goes by and jumps.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:30 AM

Post #7513960

49 days and counting ladies 49 days!

RRM...I have to check the girls every time they come in from outside because ticks get bad here...letting the chickens free range cut down on a lot of them...cut back on the flea population too...love those fowl beasts!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #7513981

I tell you something those chickens are good for---Catching mice. I mean they get brutal when they catch a mouse. One will catch it and the rest will run after her thil they all get a piece of that poor stupid mouse. I thought about putting the chickens under my house after i saw that. Can't do that---they would get into the pasture and that stupid gelded donkey I got would stromp them to pieces. Aren't animals a mess sometime. So i want my donkey and I want my chickens, just don't want the dag-nagged mice.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7513988

Happy Saturday girls. Spent the day cleaning and sorting out Gramp's estate. He and Gram sure piled in a lot of stuff in their years together. We took out three truckloads today, mostly junk and old clothes. One to the landfill, one to the Salvation Army, and one to Catholic Charities. Sorted through tons of old pictures and memories, and we've still got a lot more to go.

The farm will be sold in April, we already have a solid purchase offer and a very good price. My son Richie was managing the place, but is now working on assignment elsewhere. We just can't afford to pay taxes and maintain the place at the same time, so it's far better off for everybody to sell. The new owner is a friendly neighbor down the road so we're happy to see it in good hands. It was meant to be a farm and will continue to be one, at least an extension of the one he already has. A young farm couple and child will be living in the old ranch house. We're really happy for them, but it's kind of sad to see it go.

Al
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:45 AM

Post #7514010

ok you all got a dmail...if I missed anyone let me know

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #7514017

At least you are sort of pleased with results. It is like loseing an old friend , isn't it?? All the memories are still there. You will have them to remember. That is good.
Hang in there, Al.
Charleen

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
2:55 AM

Post #7514037

My my my you have all been busy (new) bees today - lol. Spent the day outside cleaning up dead stuff and picking veggies and doing laundry...

Al - there was a co-op a couple months ago for those mushroom kits. There's some good info here. They sound like too much work to me, but kinda fun nonetheless...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1044035/#top

Hi sk - nope, didn't go to Scottsdale this week. Had my food co-op and puppy training this weekend.

One of the SW peeps created a Facebook group for the SW gardeners in case we can't connect on Dave's. Mekos and cue have my personal e-mail and phone # to contact. Robin - I'll send you my e-mail and feel free to share it with any of the peeps we hang out with - lol.

Blondie - here's a pic of one of the buds on the Orchid... The lighting is crappy for some reason but you get the picture... Can't wait to see it bloom!

Thumbnail by locakelly

jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:55 AM

Post #7514038

RRM, my grandmother use to soak a sponge in bacon grease and let it dry out...then she would put out a bowl of water...I asked why one time and she said because the mice and rats eat the sponge and then get thirsty and drink the water...the sponge swells and blows up their stomach and kills them...I always thought that would be great if they didn't die in a wall somewhere.

Al, it is always hard to say goodbye to an old home..especially when it's been there for you for so many years. But it is nice to see another farmer buying it instead of a developer...here alot of old farms get sold and the buyers divide them up into 5 acre lots (smallest space you can sell undeveloped here) and then the places get bought up by outsiders...not like it used to be...small towns are changing all the time... bet you laughed a lot and cried some too going through all the stuff. *note: when my daughter's grandmother died, she went down and dug up the old lilac bush from the place...now we all have a lilac growing in our yards from that one shrub...every time it blooms we all laugh about all the lilacs she cut and put around the house...used to have to look around the arrangement on the table at dinner time, it was so big. and she refused to move it even for meals.*

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7514048

Ah, the memories, huh? My grandparents had to sell there farmhouse and land a couple years back. They are both in their 80s and couldn't do the stairs well, plus they lived in the boonies and it was kinda scary if they got snowed in or if they had to go to the hospital or something. They bought that farm in 1946 when they got married! Lots of memories in that 'ol place. The folks that bought it are teachers in Connecticut and they spend the summers there. They put a lot of work into fixing it up and told my grandparents to stop on by and see the place anytime they want. Makes it a little easier on them. My Grandpa has Parkinsons and it affects his memory quite a bit. Sometimes he thinks he still lives on the 'ol farm...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7514054

Here's a couple pics of my tasty veggies...

Purple Cauliflower...

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7514055

Random garden shot...

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7514059

Virginian Stock and broccoli...

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #7514061

Early Dividend Broccoli - this guy was dinner last night...

Thumbnail by locakelly

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #7514064

They can take everything but your memories. specially the good ones.
Jar, they say grits or cornmeal, if fireants eat it they blow up. Don't know about that either.
Hope you all don't get them. those are some mean ants , I got bite scars on my feet to prove it too.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:06 AM

Post #7514067

My CP - RRM does it look OK or did I kill it - lol?!?!

Thumbnail by locakelly

seray53

January 31, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #7514069

Hi Al

Went through the same process with my grandparents farm and my mothers estate. Bittersweet! My mother moved all the stuff she could from the farm to her house. I had three generations of stuff from 1930's to 1980's. Records from Roy Rogers and The Rolling Stones to newspapers from WWll. I still goggle the farm sometimes. Kinda wacky but hey! LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010

Post #7514070

And finally a very hungry little visitor... I have 3 that have been here all winter fighting over the feeder...

Thumbnail by locakelly

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010

Post #7514071

You have a beautiful garden, loca.
What is Vriginia Stock?
seray53

January 31, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #7514074

LOL Too green to be dead!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #7514076

Oh, and the Cape Honeysuckles they love too... Mild winter for sure - these babies haven't stopped blooming!

Thumbnail by locakelly

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7514080

Yes, loca, it is very much alive. You are doing everything right.
Honeysuckles are beautiful and so is hummingbird..

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:11 AM

Post #7514083

Virginian Stock - Malcolmia maritima cutest little flowers...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1307/

Good to know seray - lol...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:14 AM

Post #7514095

I love the hummers! DH hates the Cape Honeysuckles. They get leggy if you don't be on them all the time cutting them back. You can also trellis them, but I'm trying for the bushy look, pretty unsuccessfully so far - lol. But the flowers are beautiful and the hummers flock from miles around!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
3:15 AM

Post #7514099

Don't forget , you should cut it back in the Spring (the cp) But I haven't cut mine back either.
Probably about March, You think seray??
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
3:16 AM

Post #7514106

Thanks for all the mushroom information. It looks kind of expensive and chancy at best but some are having good results. Seems like I could buy an awful lot of mushrooms at the grocery store for $30 but growing them would probably taste better. I might try it just once though.

Al
seray53

January 31, 2010
3:25 AM

Post #7514138

Always fun to try. Let us know how it works AL. I've been curious too.

I'd cut them back once the chance for frost was over Loca. They look dormant to me. You can see small green leaves starting to grow as they come out of dormancy. Mine have started that here. 29º tonight. LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7514142

Hey, you all think we need a new thread??
This one getting long.
Thanks

Good night, you all. Have a good one.
Stay safe. Hugs and nuzzles to all.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2010 10:30 PM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7514162

New thread coming up... and just for kicks here is a new bees...facebook page I put it in my name for now as I dont know how to do it differently yet!! Feel free to friend it... arejay59@gmail.com is what you search for

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:38 AM

Post #7514172

I'm on high speed and it's a tad slow to load, so maybe a new thread is in order.

Yeah, Al - I bet those mushrooms are really tasty! Let us know how it works out if you try it. It would be fun for kiddos methinks...

Last frost here is by some accounts mid-March, but I don't think I've seen it past early February. Next week I will start following the extended forecast pretty closely since I like to have my tomatoes and peppers out by Valentine's Day.

Thanks for the info girls. Still don't know where the CPs permanent home will be. Not sure if I can sustain a bog... It would probably dry up in the summer heat - lol. I have a shady area on the north side of a south wall, so am looking for things to plant there that can take shade and our summer heat... Maybe the CP will find a home there.

Here's a crazy pic of the germination of my Sheyenne tomato seeds. I planted them in the garden January 7th and they germinated in 13 days. The pic is through the top of the milk jug cloche/greenhouse I made to raise the soil temp.

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #7514175

On my way to FB to look it up right now...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7514183

New Thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072818/ New Thread 1/30/10
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #7514203

done

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America