Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: weather term question

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 5, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7464671

Hello everyone!

Our cable company has a channel that gives weather and shows the radar all the time. The computer generated voice says something that I have never heard before, and that I cannot come up with anything on when I search online. Maybe I am not searching correctly?

The computer woman(?) will say "the barometric pressure is 29.25 and driving"

Driving? I cannot figure out what b.p. "driving" would be. Going up? Holding steady? Going down?

They say this all the time, so driving barometric pressure must be pretty common...

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7465363

I have no idea, but if you don't find an answer from any of us, you might try asking an "expert". The USA Today website used to have an ask the meteorologist feature but I can't find it anymore but you might look closer. This is a website for Jeff Masters, who is some kind of weather person http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1413 On the right side of the page is a button that says Contact This Blog's Author, so you could ask him. I've never done that, but it can't hurt to try, I guess.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2010
12:02 AM

Post #7465467

I am a member of WeatherUnderground. I looked all over the page you linked, and I don't see anything saying "Contact this blog's author"... There is about Jeff Masters, WunderPoll, My local weather, Recent Photos, Previous Entries for 2010, Recommended Links - perhaps mine shows up differently?

Hmmmmmmmmmm...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2010
12:11 AM

Post #7465491

On the wundergound home page, go to the lower right (as it shows on my screen) and there is an area called Dr. Jeff Masters' Wunderblog and click on the article Haiti's tragic hurricane history. On the resulting screen, on the right (as it shows on my screen) there is a section "About Jeff Masters" and the Contact this blog's author square is in there.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7466752

Those computer-generated voices sometimes come up with some strange syntheses. My guess is that it meant something like "and rising" and it came out "and driving". Our English language probably also complicates such "translations". I often laugh at the bizarre warning pronunciations on the NOAA weather radio broadcasts that use synthesized speech.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7472521

You folks were "spot on"...

I wrote to Jeff Masters, and had an email back from him this morning...
------------------------------------------------
Hi Juli, you might compare what it says on our web site that the pressure is doing, as the same time that the "driving" report is given on cable. I suspect the text to voice software is mis-reading the word "rising" and speaking it as "driving".

Jeff
Dr. Jeff Masters (jmasters@wunderground.com) ( )
Director of Meteorology ( )
The Weather Underground, Inc. ( )
300 N Fifth Ave #240 ------
Ann Arbor, MI 48104 \\\\\
734-994-8824 (voice) \`\`\
blog: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America