Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Needle Arts: Teach yourself to knit?

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 26, Views: 252
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7465373

As a child I knitted little squares but now @ 61 yrs ready to p/u the needles again. I have #10 needles and some yarn. Any of you self taught?
hbt1290
New Port Richey, FL

January 16, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7467159

I am, basically. I have some vague memory of some older woman showing me how to cast on, but no one in the family was a knitter, so I picked it up trial and error from pattern leaflets. Years ago I did the fancy lace stockings, Aran Islands and Intarsia. Over time, I got bored with knitting and obsessed with counted cross stitch art patterns, but as I recall, with a little bit of trial and error, and a leaflet with good diagrams and pictures, knitting wasn't hard to figure out. Good luck.

Helen

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7467182

I'm self taught, though in my first year of university a neighbour took me aside and made me relearn to knit Continental style. Much easier to learn these days as there are both written instructions and some very good videos on the Internet. You'll find them if you Google "learn to knit" or "how to knit".
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7467541

I assume most knitters, here anyway, knit continental style.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7467634

I've actually seen very few in the US (where I grew up) or Canada who knit continental style.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7468036

So the english style is the one?
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7468089

I think that's how I knit. I can't get the hang of continental.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
12:51 AM

Post #7468472

There are a bunch of videos here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit
Except for casting on you can choose to view Continental or regular style so you can see the difference. I vastly prefer Continental. It's more efficient and easier to get even results.
hbt1290
New Port Richey, FL

January 17, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7468849

I always did the English method. No one I knew did Continental knitting, and all the instruction booklets fifty years ago were English style. I tried Continental a time or two, but I could never manage to purl without watching what I was doing, which irritated me, and I kept upping the tension inadvertently. I guess it's what you get used to, or are most comfortable with. If you come up with a way to get your gauge right, I don't think it matters how you get there.

hill5422
Stephenville, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7473024

When my great aunt passed away while I was still in college many years ago, she left me her entire sets of knitting and crochet needles and yarns. No one else in the family knit and I hated to see all that go to waste and/or leave the family, so that was my motivation to learn.

I am self-taught and you can definitely tell, especially if I attempt something that absolutely requires a gauge! So I stick to afghans and scarves with interesting patterns to get my knitting fix and many organizations accept my knitted donations quite graciously!

I have no idea if I knit english or continental. Mostly I knit my way--which is pretty much whatever it takes to get the job done and what pleases me. I haven't really tackled teaching myself to crochet yet.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7478903

to do a gauge: simply knit a swatch 4"x4" measure over 2" count the stitches per inch. there you have the gage for the yarn you used and the size needles you used. convert this into the size of a back or front of the garment and you will know how many stitches to cast on. For instance 6 stitches per inch x 30" (front) = 180 stitches. That would be done with worsted weight yarn, done on a (Perhaps) #7 needle.
You change yarn or needle size need a new gauge for this project.

If you knit one stitch pulling thread through, from the back, for each stitch = continental
If you wrap yarn around needle for each stitch = english.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7479862

Thank you Helen. Are you the queen of knitting or a queen in general for all times and all needs?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7481798

that name is so funny. I am actually a very boring old lady. I am the queen of this house.

Had a business and one salesmen dubed me "SS helenethequeen" as I conducted business sitting outside in a lawnchair in back of the building on nice days.Love the outdoors. The Crux of the matter now is I am sun-sensitive- live in Fl. and cannot be outside
Been meaning to change it but too much trouble.

I did teach knitting after I retired in my house.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7482432

No no no! Once a Queen always a Queen. You could start 'knighting' or 'knitting' people from the inside of your home/palace.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7486619

LOL--- yes Laugh out Loud. Tha's all I can say...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7489199

here is pattern that makes absolutely fun scarfs.

Using fairly large needles, cast on 150 stitches, Knit 1 row, increase in every stitch (300), knit 1 row, increase in every stitch (600), Knit 1 row and cast off. You can actually add one more row or start with a few more stitches...

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7491057

I taught myself to knit many years ago. My Mom & GM both crocheted as did I. Decided to make my Dad a vest for Christmas. He got it 4 years later and it was too large. I also made a vest for me, which I still have. It was just knit a few, purl a few, and on & on.
I much prefer crochet - or these days, just quilting. Although, I am pulling out some yarn from Mom's stash and plan to do that "trip around the world" pattern.
Terina
Mount Holly, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7660831

ViolaAnn wrote:There are a bunch of videos here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit
Except for casting on you can choose to view Continental or regular style so you can see the difference. I vastly prefer Continental. It's more efficient and easier to get even results.

I taught myself Continental Knitting and Norwegian Purling. I can get better tension and my stitches look better with NP.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7667582

Norwegian is that where your yarn hangs around your neck to control tension? Or?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7667595

I knit continental and very convenient for lace knitting. A shawl from 'Folk Shawls" which I knitted. Exquisite

This message was edited Apr 1, 2010 5:11 PM

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7667710

I just love hangin' w/ talented gals!
mariannebags
sydney (menai)
Australia

April 6, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7685667

If you'er looking for another easy practise pattern try this on for a teddy bear.
I have mentioned it in its own post. It uses only garter and cast on and off.
http://www.tightknitworld.net.au/KnittingPatterns/TraumaTeddyPattern.pdf
alabamawoman
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8132838

Just enjoyed reading all the messages in this thread. I am a novice knitter trying to learn with help of internet and the book "Knitting For Dummies". I have been trying to find a pattern for a shrug to knit for myself and two granddaughters. The shrug hugs the body with long sleeves with cuffs but an open weave body. If anyone out there has seen such a garment would love to get pattern. I have been learning various stitches by making American Girl doll clothes for my granddaughters. It provides a smaller garment with endless choices of stitches. There are lots of free patterns on internet for dolls but caution that some are inaccurate or give very poor directions. Glad to share any patterns with all.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #8132847

I would suggest joining Ravelry [HYPERLINK@www.ravelry.com]

One of the sections is patterns and you can search for whatever you want. If you find a free pattern that is on the ravelry site you can save it to your library for future reference. It is a wonderful feature. I find it great to see the projects that people have done for a pattern. It's neat to see how they used different yarn or made their own changes in the pattern. There is also a great section for yarn - again great to see what items people have made with certain yarns.
alabamawoman
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #8134052

Thanks Elsie. My sister told me about Ravelry and I just joined this week. So far I haven't found exactly what I have in mind but I may just have to adjust what I can find. Tonight while watching the Alabama/Florida football game I completed a poncho for a granddaughters doll for Christmas. I noticed Ravelry also has patterns for the American Girl doll so I know it will be a help. I'll try to post photos when I find what I am looking for with the shrug.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #8134874

When you click on patterns click on knitting. Then scroll down a bit. You can see where you click to see more new patterns. when that opens you can fine tune your search. One of the things is shrugs. You can also just search patterns for shrugs. I noticed that people call a lot of things a shrug. good luck. You can also do a google search.
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #8965890

I also recommend knittinghelp.com - that's how I learned. It helps to see the stitches from the knitters POV. I also only knit on circulars now, even if I'm doing a straight back and forth - keeps my knitting easy to store (just slide everything to the cable in the middle) so my stitches don't fall off.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America