Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Hackberry Trees, etc. #10

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 45, Views: 200
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7465760

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056780/

Since it is winter in our parts of the world, our dreams are of spring, garden plans, new blooms, and the smell of the earth in our hands. It won't be long now...

At least my little guy enjoys the snow...

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
2:34 AM

Post #7465852

At least this week we're having a heat wave, before the next snow storm hits.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
2:45 AM

Post #7465888

It got up to 50 today, and felt so good!
We've only had a dusting of snow, but goodness, we sure had the cold.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7466262

Hi Sharon, Christi, Marti,

Great to see Ethan in action, Sharon. Amazing how cold is less cold when you're young.

It's actually gone a few degrees above freezing here. The snow cover on the garden is looking a little thinner and it's been bright with little wind. The best thing of all is that we didn't get the freezing rain that was predicted for today.

Talk to my sister, Tilly, (by phone) in southern England. Know it's been cold in Europe. Tilly says it's unusually cold and snowy where she lives (Reading, Berkshire). She says that in her area of town, they're only clearing the snowfall from the roads and the sidewalks of the main streets. The snows just left on sidewalks of side streets. They've actually cancelled one local bus route (for a while) because the buses can't get up the local hill! Guess it's what you used to (or not used to).

Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7466269

I've heard it's really bad in England, have a friend who posts to my articles and he says it is beyond anything he's known.

Weather patterns are changing, and I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but I suspect it is pretty rough all over.

What do you do with your days during winter, Charlie?
And when do you leave on your trip?

Ethan did have a great time in the snow, until he made snow angels and got snow down his collar and into his clothes. Then it wasn't so fun.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7467064

Hi Sharon,

Tilly heard that too about changing weather patterns. Think England is surprisingly to the north, compared to Toronto or Buffalo and the climate is moderated by warm ocean climates. Perhaps that's changing.

Just off for Saturday breakfast at Jonathan's. A high point of my week!
Oh dear. There's one thing I do during winter - eat! Not so good.

Back soon,
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7467080

Maybe you could just enjoy enough breakfast that you could eat lightly the rest of the day, Charlie...then it wouldn't matter, would it?

I only ever eat one meal a day, the rest of the time, I graze.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7467659

Sharon,

As you know that's the healthy way to eat. Guess you could say that our
anthropological ancestry has hunting and gathering (apparently particularly gathering in other than artic environments), so grazing was how we ate.
Chimpanzees, gorillas, etc, obviously graze as they move from location to location in the wild. Julia Child appeared rather late in human (rather hominid) history!

Have spent many hours in collecting data from past council meetings. Some records were available on line (so worked from the screen), but older records were stored in off-site locations and had to be sent to the clerk's office, in the town hall, for me to use there. Latter were hard copy,
much easier to work from than from the computer.

Have just yesterday completed all data collection for the current and previous two councils, which is as far as I committed myself. Prior to teaching high school, was involved in a lot of research in areas involving populational biology and faunal archaeoosteology. Worked from bones, for metrics, with calipers. Really enjoyed data collection. Voting patterns of municipal councils may be quite different, but still really enjoy investigating them.

Other ongoing project is sorting out stuff (particulary in the basement, particularly family stuff - have over 150 years of it). Have seen TV programs on hoarding. Don't know where saving things ends and hoarding things begins! Need to greatly reduce photographs too. Tim also salvaged a lot of photos from Carol's family.

Just went for a walk in the local woodlot. Will send a few pictures.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7467738

Casualty of Christmas.

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7467741

Bred for greater things.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7467751

A January melt.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7467757

Going into Case Woodlot.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7467761

Looking across a seasonal pond.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7467766

Snow below.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7467769

Blue sky above.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7467774

Asleep.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7467782

Miss the colour of the other seasons!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #7468045

Oh but the blue sky is so beautiful!! Thank you.

I'll return in a little while...
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 16, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #7468220

Great photos. I am inside today just taking it easy. All is well.

Charlie, someone has been hoarding in my 1/3 of the garage. That individual, me, needs to get a life. Way to much soil and products for the garden. I should have a seed sale. I need a button to wear when I goes into the garden centers. "Do not sell this woman any seeds."

Pretty soon it is going to be in the 80s here and I will still be behind. We do the majority of planting end of March, first of April. Need to get the root deep before the high heat hits.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7468276

Know what you mean about the sky, Sharon.
I was deliberately pointing the camera in the direction of the sun, without looking through the view finder. Didn't even notice the blue until I saw the picture. Was thinking, not a good thing to look directly at the sun, especially through an optical device.

Thanks, SharonKW. Have a lot of garden materials still to clear out in our garage in spring too.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7479520

Wow wow wow!! We've been having near 60 degree weather and I am itching to get outside and start digging. Today it's raining a little and that means it'll be greener tomorrow. I can see iris popping up already, and some dianthus is looking pretty happy, I haven't checked on crocus or hyacinth yet. Of course it's too soon, and I have to remember the ice storm at the end of last January...but hope springs eternal and all that.

Winter doldrums and I don't do well together.

Hope you are all well and surviving the bleak and drearies. What's happening in your parts of the world? Charlie, how goes the council?

I was distressed to see the news of more quakes in Haiti. I can't seem to get that out of my mind. We are on a fault line as well, but it's been a while since I felt a tremble. Small as they have been for me, they sure are scary.

Be well and stay warm.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7479600

I lived in Sylmar, Calif in 1071 when a 7.6 quake tore the town apart. All you have to remember is that quakes are caused by Mother Nature when she decided to move the furniture in her house. It's when she rearranges the whole house full at one time that you have to watch out. Just keep praying that she just moves one piece at a time.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7481902

Hi Sharon, Christi and Marti,

Interesting about your temperatures, Sharon. We have just had a bit of a mid January thaw, but flower beds still have a snow covering. No chance of seeing traces of bulbs. Think dianthus is/can be green under the snow, perhaps to get a quick start when spring does finally come.

Interesting about your and Marti's experience with trenors and quakes. Took plate tectonics in graduate school, but we were involved particularly with the African plate contacting southern Europe (Alpes, etc), because of the distribution of fossil species. Now know more re California and B.C..
Carol's brother in West Van has a house on top of a peak, but he's an architect. He doubled the area of his house and the new section is earthquake proof. He himself sank dozens of piles into shear rock. His upcoming project is a cantilever garden, which I gather means a garden
coming out from the rock on a cantilever platform. Give me terra firma any time!

Tim was up here over this Tuesday/Wednesday (his weekend). We did more french cooking. After watching the relevant original two Julia Child cooking episodes (on DVD), we made french onion soup au gratin with crouts and Julia Child's favourite chocolate cake, gateau, Reine de Sheba (Queen of Sheba). Needless to say Tim did a lot of the preparation and cooking. Amazing how detailed this cooking is; onion soup - slice onions, cook them, caramelize them, put them in the stock with grated swiss cheese, white wine, bay leaf, etc., put the soup in bowls with crouts (toasted one inch sections of french bread, brushed with olive oil), and finally cover the crouts with more grated cheese and return the bowls briefly to the oven. Pictures below include Tim cooking the soup and Carol enjoying it. Best onion soup I've ever had!

Very interesting about typical french cakes; not very high, softish in the centre, use of ground nuts (almonds here), etc.. Tim did most of the cake, with me icing and decorating it. Icing: melted chocolate with a rum moistener in a hot water bath (we used these in chemistry!), then with butter beat into it in a cold water bath. Must say I did add a lot more almonds on the top than Julia Child did.

I know all of you have done vastly more cooking than I ever have. But assume you never had the time (or inclination: diet) to cook like this!
Quite an eye opener to me.

The Councillor took offence to my letter, Sharon, with a letter to the newspaper in response. I am now replying in turn. Although she refers to my "righteous exhortation" ??? and my "trumpet(ting) a defense of the indefensible" ???, I would never call people lackeys, sycophants and lesser stars (her words on her blog), as she has!

Charlie

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7481909

Tim cooking and the cake.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7481916

Not bad!

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7481924

Carol's position in the last picture has nothing to do with cooking with white wine or rum. I don't think one can reorientate a picture when putting it on Dave's.

Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #7484366

I wasn't as worried about Carol as I was the Photographer who must have been lying on the floor or maybe the sofa to get that shot.
(giggle..)

Wonderful photos, Charlie, and I am very interested in your onion soup as well as the cake. Yummy!!!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7484511

Good point, Sharon!

Don't want to make you hungry, but had some more of both today.
The soup's finished and only a bit of cake left.

Off to bed, as have to give Fatso his thyroid stuff four hours before
he arrives at the vets' tomorrow. Just his routine thyroid test, but, as said, Buddy's not noted for his cooperation on such occasions.

Nite,
Charlie

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7484552

Oh good grief, Charlie...that poor little kitty. You be gentle with him, and don't blame him when he becomes the tiger he is and attacks. I'd do the same thing, poor little guy.

Actually I do the same thing, but only with my dentist...

If you are able to do so, please let us know how the vet affair goes.

Oh, almost forgot...at least your words were important enough for that evil woman to feel a bit threatened. She almost sounds like Buddy when he feels threatened, you know?? She bites back!

G'nite, Charlie.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
1:45 AM

Post #7486996

Hi Sharon,
same as usual, puked when he went,
new, peed (not puked) when he came back.
Glad this carrying case is made of plastic.

Dr B said he's in good shape and explained Buddy's habit of screaming his head off by saying he's pretty deaf and sometimes needs assuring that people are around. We were pleased to hear that deaf siamese cats sound even worse.

I was thinking about the boogey man with his gunny sack, but realize he's unlikely to want vomit in it.

But don't worry. After such a trying day, Buddy's now lying on his blanket, on his couch, in his living room. The look on his face says he's feeling quite mellow.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2010
2:51 AM

Post #7487211

Good grief, Charlie, you just made me laugh so hard it scared Jazz out of my lap.

Well, now that you know he is deaf, have you yet googled 'hearing aids for cats'? I'm sure you can find an answer to his problem. Another solution comes to mind...you could get one of those carriers that looks like a pouch, sort of like those things mothers carry new babies around in. You could just place it around your neck, with Buddy inside it, of course, and carry him with you wherever you go. He would no longer be screaming his head off, and you wouldn't have to wear muffs over your ears. A happy solution for all. You and Carol could take turns with the pouch.
Problem solved.

No need to thank me...I know you are delighted with my resolution. ^_^
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7487410

But thanks, Sharon, if we couldn't laugh we'd go nuts.

And there's other pros of the pouch concept, particularly keeping him away from our feet: particularly important in the kitchen. It's no exaggeration that sometimes at his meal time, he's so desperate for food that he races right across in front of your feet. This is much worse that his hanging around at the bottom of the staircase, waiting for one of us to go into the kitchen.

Mind you there are sizable cons: e.g. too close to our noses (he farts), too close to our mouths (he has a fanatical interest in what goes in them).

Buddy is ours,
but - we are looking forwards to a whole month without him,
and - we have decided after him, we won't be wanting any more cats, or pets, or children.

We imagine that at his demise, after shedding a tear, we'll be jumping up and down and waving our hands in the air, shouting "I'm free. I'm free". We think the scene will be a bit like Emancipation as depicted in a silly old stereotypic silent movie.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7487531

Thank you Charlie for that last image. Please have someone available to take a picture or two. I'm sure we can raise enough money from such a celebratory photo to feed a small country...as long as I can write the story that goes with it. Then you will receive hate mail from all the world wide cat lovers, and you'll no doubt be tarred and feathered all at the same time, but you will be forever in the pages of history for celebrating the demise of poor Buddy.

I have laughed till I cried...
Sorry, Buddy...
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7487677

What an image. Almost apocalyptic.

What you could do, Sharon, is write us a defense,
maybe something along the lines of what Plato did for Socrates
when he wrote 'The Apology'.

Then again there's always the insanity plea. We always said Buddy would drive us insane. I don't think though we'll call you as a witness, Sharon, as you just might laugh.

Nite Friend,
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7487769

But you must remember, Socrates was infamously condemned to death by drinking hemlock, yet with admirable calm, he accepted his fate.

So is this the direction you really want me to take in your defense? I think not, Charlie, what I really must do is rewrite The Apology. Plato probably won't mind at all. But whatever you decide, I'll accept my assignment with proper attitude. There will be no giggles in my written defense, nor in my witnessing either.

Good night, Charlie.
Please indulge in proper decorum and attitude tomorrow, because your defense is not yet prepared.

(Gotta go find that hemlock...sigh.)
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7490599

Thanks Sharon.

Hemlock -That's it!

Socrates didn't deserve it.
I don't either.
But you know who does?
He'll eat/drink anything.
Hoist with his own petard.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7490603

DON'T you dare, Charlie, don't you dare.

Get a little parachute and attach securely. Drop him off as you fly over KY. That'll solve the whole thing. Jazz will teach him a lesson or two and all will be well.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7490642

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, let alone a friend.

It'd be like the asteroid hitting the Yucatan Peninsula.

And anyway, who'll be learning from whom?

Keep finding things that have to be done before leave. Word processing Council voting records for final version, possible problem with new insoles, arranging for snow removal, etc. Also things like the permitted size of carry-on luggage seem to be changing and getting a real long distance run around about fixing the telephone in the condo. Well, it'll all get done.

Nite Sharon,
Charlie

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7490663

And you'll have a wonderful time.
Good night, Charlie.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7494171

I'm back again
Just thought anyone might like this interesting video of my SIL (not seen much on it) and his brother who carry on the family business. His brother is the front office man who meets and greets.My SIL is shy and quiet.
http://rochester.ynn.com/all-regions-news-2134-content/in_our_community/community_news/493954/pipe-organ-builders-complete-historic-replica
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7494918

Wow, JoAnn...what a wonderful business. They build one a year? Amazing! Do you live in a home filled with music? I already know about all the art. Thank you for sharing this video, I hope everybody takes a look at it. Maybe we should all gather together up there for a tour.

How beautiful.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7494942

Thanks Sharron I'll let everyone know when the next openhouse is when they finish the next organ.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7494973

Are they still working on the huge one for the cathedral...the one mentioned in the video?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7495021

No Its finished and they will take it apart and thansport it to Cornell.
SIL will be gone twice 4 days each, next month to install it and tune it.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #7514396

Very interesting video, JoAnn.
Also great to see small businesses doing well in this economic climate.

Hi Sharon,
No end of things to do before we leave at 3 a.m. on Tuesday.

Received additional information (additional types of meetings) and had to make additions to my voting data sheets (to do what I said I'd do).

Buddy's good but returned to vomitting up his food, as he has periodically in the past. We're now trying out a programmable timing contraption to give him small amounts of crunchies at a time. We feel sure the reason he's sick is he eats too fast. He'll still be getting his soft food, dispensed in small amouts, by his cat sitter.

Just checked out how to get E-mail, down south, and got voice mail going on new cell phone.

Quite cold here. Wind chill has the day time temperatures about 15 degrees below the freezing point. Hope you're not having it too cold yourself. We meet friends from St Louis, Mo, at St Pete Beach and I know it's been very cold in their home area.

Things were quite polite at the Tuesday council meeting. Nothing worse than a few smiles from the kamakazi councillor. So far is gone: my letter in response to her's, her's to mine, mine to her's. Am quite sure she'll insist on the last word.

Hope all's well with Jazz, Daisy and Cupcake.

Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7514426

Hi Charlie,
It's in the low 20's here, and I'm trying to not moan and groan too much, but it insisted on snowing a couple of inches so there you have it.

Good to know Buddy's going to be well taken care of by his sitter.

I hope you have a really warm glorious time in Florida...I'm sure you'll be warm.

The cats are fine, they are incredibly warm in their fur coats. I try to get them to lay across my feet, but I think my cold toes scare them away.

Be well and be safe and take lots of pictures. I'll be thinking of you on those warm, sunny beaches. (I'll probably also be grinding and gnashing my teeth. And shivering a lot!)

Enjoy!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America