Happenings at our house

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Yesterday was a good day here. It got up to nearly 50!!! So nice doing the work without having to be all bundled up. Took the horses off the tie line and got them back in their lots. But not without excitement. Shaq and Firefly had to take turns running up to the road a few times. Nearly gave me a coronary when Firefly went out on the highway to turn around just as a car came by. Stupid horses. But they settled in well after their little escapades. We can finally drive the truck back down to the house. Yipee. Makes life so much easier. Finally got my package from Mom that UPS could not deliver until 4 days late. It's a food processor and it was broken when it got here. Mom didn't think to insure it so it's a loss. But she sent 12 "D" batteries. She is so thoughtful. Picked up 5 eggs. Went with DH to feed the other 6 horses across the mountain. He usually does them and I do the animals by the house. Tug is really growing. Be glad when I can get him out and work with him a bit. He is still as gentle as can be. My hip is hurting this morning so I won't be getting out until later. But it is supposed to be another warm day with no rain and even a bit of sunshine. God is good!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Glad you are thawing out! Hope all goes well.

South Hamilton, MA

Glad that your hens are still laying. Horses & roads can be heart stopping. How big is Tug now, his Mom looked (large?) pony size, but it is hard to tell from photos. Glad that she has a good home.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I haven't put a stick on him but he is up to my armpits. I know that doesn't help you much. LOL About 4 ft so that would be 12 hands. Quite a bit taller than his Mom. She was a good sized pony but he is built like a horse. I have left him a stallion so he will bulk up as he grows. I don't care for him to get taller. I'm trying to get away from tall. He is still on the slender side but growing very nicely. He has his Mom's mane and tail. His tail is at his ankles and very full. His mane is getting near the bottom of his neck. He is still very well mannered. He and Max still share a stall and I think Max has been a good influence on him.

I rest easier knowing Granny has a good home and a warm, dry barn. The cold was hard on her even with a thick coat. She would shiver. We really had no use for her other than a brood mare and we don't want to breed for anymore foals. Especially ponies. So I was glad to give her away to get her into a good home.

South Hamilton, MA

GD's Alice has a beautiful tail. I don't think that J-2 has posted any pictures from behind. I think it really adds to a horse's looks & sure helps with the flies.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I always feel sorry for those Appy with sparse tails and the drafts who's tails have been docked. They are in a world of misery during fly season.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Alice's tail is only a problem when contesting. It can knock the equipment down. A lot of the pleasure kids put fake tails in to get a tail like hers. Hee hee.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I remember those fake tails from the Saddlebred shows I worked. Looked like a lot of trouble. Some of the horses were old enough that they had broken tails and some of the jobs had gone bad. They would try to tie them straight. It didn't work well.

South Hamilton, MA

Quarterhorse tails don't seem very good as a rule, either. So that's why the fakes. No problems around here as little QH in the mixes. A lot of TB.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images