Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: Hydrophonics using fish water

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 13, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7467129

I am interested in learning about hydrophonics, and have seen a few comments about using fish pond water as a nutrient filled source of water for the plants and also as a way to remove harmful elements from your fish pond. Sounds like a win/win situation to me. Anyone have any knowledge, or where I might find some info?

Don
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

January 16, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7467362

You can gets loads of great advice if you post your inquiry on the Hydroponic Gardening Forum. Personally, I use my outdoor fish pond water on many of my potted plants during the summer. They love it.
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

January 18, 2010
3:02 AM

Post #7471664

What you are looking for is "aquaponics" invented by Mark R. McMurtry at the U of N. Carolina some time back. Here is a working example of his system, invented by Travis Hughey called barrelponics. I have lost his site with all the information on how to make these things, but here is a working example at a college built by grad students:
http://www.yahooka.com/forum/farmers-lab/151150-barrelponics.html
After I wowed over it for awhile, I realized I was on a cannibis growing website, but the comments are concise and to the point.
Google Travis Hughey barrelponics should get you some blueprints.
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7472123

Thanks Poetinwood, but I think I'll wait on that. Looks more complicated than what I want to tackle right now. Good for future reference though. I guess I'll just plant me some maters the old fashioned way, but maybe water them with pond water.

Don
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7482426

Dgal: A lot of us here drain off our ponds very regularly and use the water on the plants. The fish need frequent partial water changes for better health and what I personally do is pump off the bottom where the fish waste is and send it throughout my garden. I also have a bio filter and have to clean it weekly and I have that attached to a long hose and water plants in another part of the garden.

Do you have a pond?
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #7482967

Mothermole, I had a very small pond (about bathtub size), but had a leak, so I took it out and built one that is about 8' x 10' x 2 1/2' deep. I did it just over week ago and still setting everything up. I am working on the waterfall today. It is a beautiful day here. Clear and 78 degrees right now. The weather should hold for the next few days, so hopefully, I will get it pretty well finished. I put the fish in about five days ago and they seem to be thriving. I'm sure they are enjoying the extra room. Right now, I only have one 10" koi and two goldfish. I put the plants in it yesterday; floaters, submerged and a couple of bog plants. I have more coming when they will start shipping around April. I was amazed at how fast they are bringing down the ammonia level, not that I let it get that high. I am doing partial water changeouts every few days.

I am experimenting. I cut down the old preformed liner and trying to use it for a base for my waterfall. We'll see how that works out. I'll try to get some pics later today.

Don
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2010
2:09 AM

Post #7484110

Remember not to use fish water on anything edible if you treat your fish for diseases. You want your edibles to remain edible! :) I use my fish water on all other plants, that are not for consumption.
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7484423

Wow, I never thought about that. Watering veggies (mainly tomatoes) was what I had in mind. But what if I haven't had any sickness?

Don
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2010
12:52 AM

Post #7486802

You should be fine if you haven't treated your water forr anything. Usually when you see "not for food consumption fish" on the label, you know you don't want to eat it. (Coppers, etc)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 23, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7487851

For 2 years I planted water cress and got so huge that it took over my pond. did i eat some? Yes plenty of it , Dh refused to eat the first year but he ate last year. we had plenty of it--- cooked with balsamic vinegar. I only use peroxide, baking soda and salt . So far i had not had problem with my fish. Knock on wood!! LOL!!!. Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7488711

Belle, you should be safe with those things! I have one large water lily tub that I never add anything to (not even fertilizer) and I grow lush mint along the one side. Fish "emulsion" is great for plants... I dont even grow my water plants in soil, just let the roots suck up anything in the water! :)
You WOULD have to worry if you were using copper agents, etc, which control algae...
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7489982

Not many people put their medicines directly into their ponds but into a "Medical holding tank" because most medicines cost a fortune and ponds are too darn large. However some treatments have to be done to the pond and the fish and I wouldn't eat anything watered with that water. BUT, on the other hand when you treat your pond completely with medicines, part of the treatment usually states you have to do aggressive water changes between treatments. A few water changes and you should be fine.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
2:22 AM

Post #7500663

Your pond and waterfall sound wonderful! Today was a great day for working in the garden! Please post some pictures when you can!

Jeanne
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7501111

Thanks Jeanne, I did get quite a bit done today on the waterfall. I got the main structure set up and everything "glued" together. It should be set by tomorrow so I can test it out. I love to hear the water falling on the rocks. I still need to stack rocks around it for asthetics purposes. I'll try to think to get some pics tomorrow.

Don

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America