Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Gardening with a Silver lining!: colloidal vs. ionic

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening with a Silver lining!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening with a Silver lining!Replies: 4, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KanapahaLEW
Alachua, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2010
1:37 AM

Post #7468618

LariAnn, I read the article in Forbes that is linked at the end of your article and it seemed to suggest that ionic silver worked best against microbes due to the activity of the ions combining with the proteins on the surface of the microbes. So now I'm a bit confused as to which form I should try for soaking seeds.

Also, Purest Colloids has a product they say is for hot tub use and not for internal human use. They don't say what the concentration is but just call it "concentrated" and I was wondering if that would be ok for horticultural use. It could probably be diluted and would, therefore, be very economical.

Jonathan
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2010
2:11 AM

Post #7468706

I've used the colloidal type but also have and use the ionic type. For horticultural purposes, either one should work well. The hot tub use product would seem to be OK for horticultural use; I got the regular colloidal silver because I wanted the option of using it on myself as well.

LariAnn
KanapahaLEW
Alachua, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #7468955

Thank you, Lari Ann!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7807835

What has the results been using these products? Are they compared to plants without using the products?
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7808414

I haven't run a strict scientific study but have observed seedling survivability without vs. with the products. No question about the fact that, for me, the survivability of seedlings is enhanced with colloidal silver to keep pathogens at bay. Without it, I've lost as much as 100% of a seedling batch. With it, I've saved up to 100%.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening with a Silver lining! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wow, a memory.... Sharran 6 Dec 26, 2009 4:38 PM
thanks IRFAN_LODHI 1 Dec 21, 2009 6:04 PM
unique KanapahaLEW 3 Dec 24, 2009 9:18 PM
What a Scientist! Tall_Shadow 1 Dec 21, 2009 6:07 PM
10 ppm silver wormfood 3 Dec 22, 2009 7:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America