Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: Cabbage Worm on my Coleus in JANUARY IN THE HOUSE!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LonnieMiller
Leland, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7469153

I am not 100% sure if this worm is actually a Cabbage Worm or not, but it looks similar. I keep as on top of insect pests in the vegetable garden and flower beds the best I can, and I have allot of help with worms from wasps. A neighbor gave me a couple of her 30" tall Coleus and I put them in pots and took them to one of my sun rooms and moved them the the front porch as temps permitted. I never noticed any parasite problems. When the weather forecast predicted below 20 degree temps coming, I moved the Coleus to the library... There has been some leaf loss in the sun room due to a change in location, but more started falling off in the library...allot more! When the temps moved back up in the 30's, I took the Coleus into the kitchen to remove all the dying leaves and noticed these Cabbage Worm-like critters eating away at the veins on the bottom of a few of the leaves... I suppose the warmer room caused eggs to hatch?!?!

Another thing is that I notice that some of the smaller leaves that have died are hanging on the plant by a string...like a spider web. What is causing that?

It says I am in St. Paul, Minnesota... I am now in Leland, Mississippi so I have to edit my profile!

This message was edited Jan 16, 2010 11:21 PM
suunto
Sinks Grove, WV

January 17, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #7469419

If you can, provide an image of the caterpillar(s), as there are several species having an appearance similar to what you describe. Even then, a positive specific identification may not be possible. Regardless of its identity, any pesticide containing the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis (Bti) should effect control. As for the other problem, use a magnifying glass to examine the leaves to see whether there is a very fine webbing along with minute living critters walking about (see http://tinyurl.com/yjeyj2m for an image). If this is what you find, you may have spider mites, although from what I have read on the subject, coleus plants do not seem particularly susceptible to these pests. Application of an insecticidal soap usually will control these.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America