Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: January Weather - New Year - Same Old & Weather Surprises

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 208, Views: 1,242
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7470965

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067977/

picture from a few years ago - it's hail

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2010
11:14 PM

Post #7470990

Thanks for the new thread, Kelli. Great bonsai.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #7471031

Under Dense Fog Advisory til Noon tomorrow...again. Fog will freeze overnight and make roads slick. Visiblilty will be near zero at times.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #7471256

Celia: your photo from the past sure gives the impression that 3 happy kids got bikes as gifts that year? Which one were you?
Kelli: Those are some great bonsai! That last one is especially unique! Was that hail in your area?

My son and grandson and I went to see the movie Avatar this afternoon. Absolutely amazing--I've never seen a movie like it--not even the Star Wars movie can top the special effects in this movie! I didn't like some of the language in the movie, which is why I rarely go to a movie these days, but those special effects were something else. I can understand why it has already broken all box office records!!

After a rainy evening and night, today turned out to be another lovely day. The sun came out this morning and the temp got up to near 60F. It was great! I did take time to get out and take some pictures of the green things that are poking up through the leaves. In spite of all the cold weather we have had lately, things are happening beneath the ground! :o)) This is David--a white phlox which was given to me by another DGer.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #7471386

My brothers family, L to R: Geoff, Justin, Crying Tim, Carolyn, and Erin. Tim did get a bike and he knew it. It was just outside the shot. Tim had a habit of crying when his picture was taken. No on knows why and he has since given up the habit.

This was him in Jan. '08. Scott, Not Crying Tim and Carolyn.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2010 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7471633

Glad to see Tim quit crying..lol!

Kelli that's SOME Hail!
Looks a lot like the storm that tore up our Hosta last Spring.

Adina looks like the doughnuts Mom used to make...Yum!

Well we ended up having drizzling rain all day... we might have hit 43.
But considering just a few days ago we weren't breaking 23...

We've seen all but the biggest Koi, but it's very good at hiding so we're not worried.

Can't believe that Phlox is so big already WOW!

Well the East side of the room is sanded, primed and painted (well first coat anyway)
If the rain has really moved out I'll start the trim tomorrow while Robyn puts on the second coat.
Then we get to move everything to that side and finish the West side of the ceiling...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #7471910

Marilyn, that is the house across the street.

We've got 0.39 inch of rain so far.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7472360

Good Mornin'! Well, It's finally stopped raining. It poured night before last, rainied until noon yesterday, then it picked back up around 6:00pm. All the creeks & rivers are 'raging'. And we still have a little snow left!
Cloudy: 46F
Feels like: 46F
Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 76%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 13 mph NW
Sunrise: 7:35 AM
Sunset: 5:32 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Ric, Your room is lookin' Great! :D Glad that your fish have been found. ;) Glad they servived the 'freeze'. Gotta check on ours 1st thing this mornin'...
Kelli! Now that's some Hail! :-O Very 'thick' looking. Thanks for the new thread. :) The bonsai show must have been great. I always think they are so neat! :D I hope you don't get all of that predicted rain! 20" is way too much!
Mau, Yep, I'm glad that he isn't crying any more, too! ;D And You've got Phlox!! Oh Wow! I think it was you that asked (a thread or 2 ago) about our heat pump...We like it really well...works great all year long. The highest our heating/cooling was last months at $170, but our house is only about 1500 sq. ft.
Adina! Save some for me! They look ... Yummmmmmmmy! :DI love the old buildings/museum! Very interesting.
Celia, Yes you are so good already w/your camera! Keep 'em coming! ;)
Dyson is all of your snow gone?

I found out the other day that my boss is into gardening! LOL! She has a degree in Biology w/ a concentration in Botany! She helped run a well respected green house in Floyd Co., Va. for some time. She also knits (wool), including socks, but the neatest thing is that she cards & spins the wool. She said that she needs to separate her lily's this year! Yippee!!! Guess what I get?! :D

Well, better get a move on...
Have a great day! Everybody!
Joey

Another on from last year...

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7472473

Good morning!

It's mostly cloudy, rain showers on and off, 36F/ 2C (feels like 29F/ - 2C ), wind from S at 9 mph / 14 km/h. Humidity 87%. Sunrise 10:48, Sunset 4:29

I'm really exhausted after the birthday party yesterday ... just want to crawl back into bed. It was really nice though, Hildur Eva was happy and that's what counts :-) I'm having her class party on Wednesday and then I'll be done!

Too tired to comment - so I'll just wave Hi! to everybody.

Kelli - those bonsai trees are really cool!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7472481

Here's a view of the rest of the cakes ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7472714

Rannveig,

Hildur Eva is a beautiful little girl, and looking at those cakes made me hungry. I am sitting at my computer with my morning coffee, but haven't eaten anything yet.

It is 46 F. here this morning, but should get to near 70 to day and 70's the rest of the week. That's good, because I have a ton of work to do on my new koi pond. Man! It's not even February yet, and I am looking for Spring.

Don
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7472757

Beautiful Shots Rann!
I love that table/sideboard... and Selma is certainly getting tall!

Foggy here and just under freezing.
We should hit the upper 40's and sunny...
Mid 50's projected by the weekend!

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7472823

Hi Everyone!

Rann, Hildur Eva is a very pretty girl! Watch out for those boys! LOL

Those cakes do look yummy.

Celia when I was growing up we had yellow shag carpet, mom said it was really gold but it always looked yellow to me.

Cool bonsai Kelli! I remember that hail storm, we had just moved back here!

Well here's the weather report, my mom should be in surgery as we speak, so that's where my mind is right now.

39.6 F
Haze
Windchill: 38 F
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 36 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.02 in (Rising)
Visibility: 0.2 miles
Elevation: 583 ft

Today
Mostly sunny. Areas of dense fog in the morning. Highs in the mid 60s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. South winds 5 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7473006

Ric: so glad the Koi seem to be doing well. You and Robyn are making progress on the sewing room!
Joey: that's a good photo of the "frozen" tree. Lucky you to like your job and the people you work with and you have a boss who is going to share daylilies with you!!! Has she knitted any wool socks for you? LOL
Rann: tell Hildur Eva, please, that I like her pink sweater top. Wow, all those goodies on the table looked delicious. What kind of cake was that in the center with all the white icing on it (or maybe it was whipped cream?)?
Adina: I forgot to say that the donuts made me lick my lips! Yummy! Wish I had a private jet--I would jet around the U.S. and pick up my DG friends and we would all fly over for a taste of your home-baked desserts! LOL
Crissy: prayers have been going up for your mom.

Another nice day on tap here. Supposed to be into the low 60's all week but with a chance of rain later in the week. It will certainly feel like spring for a few days.

Autumn Joy Sedum is poking up through the leaves.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7473045

Thanks, Joey. My wish is to make merry piles of cash with the camera. LOL $170 for heat? Wow! Our highest has been $80.

Rann, waving baaaaaaack! ^_^

We had gold shag carpet in our formal living room when I was a kid. No shoes were allowed in there. And woe to the dog who snuck in there! LOL

It snowed last night!

35.0 F with 38 for the high.
Overcast
Windchill: 35 F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 32 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 9.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 800 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Here's the ugly border we've been living with for 5 years.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7473052

We crossed, Mau. I have nothing coming up but seedlings in the kitchen. I'm jealous! LOL

This stuff doesn't go with any of OUR stuff.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7473491

Celia: I agree--that border doesn't go with any of the stuff you have. If memory serves me from the photos I have seen of your house, you have oriental furnishings? It looks as if you have tried to take that border down without too much success--LOL. One word of advice--don't rent a wallpaper steamer--they don't work, so save your money.(and how do I know that? LOL) Just spray lots of water on the border and use a good scraper.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 18, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7473497

25*F Cloudy
Sunrise: 9:51
Sunset: 4:23
We flew home last Thursday-good flight; terrible icy/snowy road home w/many in the ditch. But, it's great being home.
Thanks for the new thread, kelli. My oldest daughter/family flew down to Disneyland on Friday and will drive on down to the San Diego zoo later this week. She says it's pouring rain, but still managing to have a good time. Makes a nice mid-winter break from Alaska weather.
hello all~
This overhanging curl has been in place since mid-December; it's been slowly slipping off the metal roof. We broke it off a few days ago after we got home.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 18, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7473502

hi mau~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7473583

Early, and anyone else, this is where I started ''Barn Faces.''

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/farmlife/all/

It's 32, foggy in town, cloudy and chilly. Dense fog advisory till noon. Well, noon has come and gone. It's still here.

Thanks for the answers Kelly.

Ric, wow! Nice room! Really really nice room with paint!

Marsue, thanks, and I do have a lot of books. I got my medical records out and it hasn't gone up. It's gone down!

Chrissyr, it's too bad a job offer doesn't open up for your degree. I think I'd start looking. At least you have a job while you search.

Adina, I love doughnuts!!! Oohhhh, they look so good!

Celia, it says some lucky kids got new bikes! I remember when gold carpet was ''in.'' What a bunch of cuties! The story of Crying Tim cracked me up!

Kelly, neat bonsai. It's amazing that some are very old trees. Wow, that's a lot of hail!

Joey, lucky you to have a great boss like that!

Rann, I love her dress and her cake! Well, no wonder you're so tired. Everything looks so delicious! You put a lot of hard work into everything. I hope you get a long nap!

Howdy Don!

Chrissyr, hope your Mom comes out of surgery OK.

Celia, I'm sure the border was pretty at some point in time ;o)

Kiska, same story here except our curl wasn't so thick. That one is downright scary!!

Kitty Fight!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7473705

That is certainly the most hail I have ever seen. We don't get it here all that often.

Sally, when I was in high school, I had hair as long as yours. My mom didn't like long hair so she made me get it cut before my senior picture. A few years ago I started letting it grow as long as it can, but it doesn't get as long anymore. It's probably 5 inches above my waist. My hair is fine and without body and there isn't a whole lot I can do with it except let it grow.

Kiska, the snow tunnel is pretty funny.

Celia, my parents had lime green shag carpet in most of the house, and red in the basement, and yellow in my room, and blue and red in my sister's room. Yellow was not my color of choice, but apparently I had no say in the matter.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:11 PM PST on January 18, 2010
55 F
Rain Mist
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 21 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 32 mph

We got around 3/4" of rain overnight and another 0.4" since this morning. The power was off for about two hours. I made a fire in the fireplace for the first time in a couple years. One of our windows is leaking badly. DH tried to caulk outside, but apparently that's hard to do when it is raining. It looks like now he's going to try to cover the area of the wall with pond liner. It is dark like twilight and pouring at the moment.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7473750

Kiska, we could have a contest on when the snow will finally fall off. The winner gets to be right!

I'm sure the lady who lived here before liked the border. She had a different one in the bathroom (roses) and the bedroom (tulips). Both were around the middle of the room not the ceiling. MUCH easier to remove! LOL

I had no problem in the dining area but the hall is giving me difficulties. Well...fits, actually. The water isn't doing the job and I have a chemical on it now that doesn't seem to be helping, either. Grrr...I even got a scoring tool. Grrr, again!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7473776

I'm sure the border was fine back in the day, but now it looks soooo '80s. There was a border in one of our bedrooms (child's sports theme) and DH couldn't get it off, so he covered it with a border of a different design.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7473794

It appears as if they put mud up and then put the border on while it (the mud) was still wet. I may just paint over it.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7474150

Thanks everyone for you kind comments :-)

Mau - that pink sweater top is actually a dress I knitted for her this fall :-) Thanks!

The white cake is meringue with berries and whipped cream in the middle ... it's a standard in most cake parties over here in various forms. Equally loved by kids and adults ;-) lol Fresh berries are outrageously expensive now so I've started using mixed frozen berries instead of fresh strawberries ... I made it in the shape of a flower this time ... I've often colored the meringue pink and shaped it in a heart as well ... I made a very basic meringue, just eggwhites and sugar. Often chocolate chips, coconut and/ or Corn Flakes are mixed in. Sometimes part of the sugar is replaced with brown sugar ( brown meringue with whipped cream, bananas and chocolate chips was my absolute favorite cake when I was a kid ... ) Hildur Eva specifically requested that the carrot cake muffins would be decorated with carrots ... so I made little carrots from royal icing on Saturday night ... never tried that before ... turned out OK, at least she was happy with the results! lol

Celia - yeah, I see your point on the border ;-) lol Really like that wall clock :-) Getting rid of those wall paper borders can be such a pain ... good luck!

Thanks Sally :-) I actually didn't go back to sleep, just been really tired all day ... i did have two cups of tea to try to wake me up ... I normally don't drink caffein but I might have to start if I ever get a job ;-) lol

Kiska - that overhang is just amazing to me! :-o

I remember carpets ... vaguely ... hardly see them anymore here ... everyone has hardwood floors now.

One more of the frozen waterfall from a week ago ...

rann

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #7474519

Foggy. Dense fog advisory extended til tomorrow. Probably won't go anywhere. They are saying we might see some sun tomorrow afternoon. Yeah right. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #7474642

Wow, Jackie, that is some overhang! I've never seen anything like it. waving back to you~~~~~~~~
Sally: I'm surprised your cholesterol went up with you eating oatmeal every day. Guess those commercials were wrong, huh? At least the kittes have a nice boxing ring to fight in. I went over and posted on your barn thread. I'm looking forward to seeing other photos of barn faces. :o))
Celia: I think that painting the border might be your best bet, after you sand it lightly first.
Kelli: your childhood home sounds a lot like the house that Pau and I bought when we first got married in 1984. It was only 12 years old at the time but it was outdated even then--had a different color of shag carpet in every bedroom--yuck! We gradually remodeled the whole house (3200 sq. ft.) but it took a while because we did it ourselves except for the actual carpet-laying. The whole house had paneling, too, which we painted.
Rann: do you have a knitting machine or did you knit Hildur Eva's dress the "old fashioned way"? It is lovely!!
Pepper: hope you do get some sun tomorrow!

according to the Weather Channel it is currently 56F--can you believe it?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 19, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7474739

[quote]according to the Weather Channel it is currently 56F--can you believe it?[/quote]

Well, actually, yes, I can. When it rains a lot here, it warms up back east.

We got 1.9 inches of rain over the past two days. DH could not get the window to stop leaking while it was raining, but after it stopped, he put some kind of gunk on the outside of the house. Hopefully that will work. We'll know soon. 100% chance of rain tomorrow. I told DH not to bother resetting the clocks in the kitchen. The power will probably go off again before the week is out. Nothing here is very well equipped for rain.

Here are someones' weather pictures. I think this is the L.A. River.
http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewsingleimage.html?mode=singleimage&handle=supergub&number=8&thumbstart=1&gallery=CURRWEATHER
Downhill from a burn area, apparently
http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewsingleimage.html?mode=singleimage&handle=Fotoguy77&number=321&album_id=116&thumbstart=0&gallery=VIPPICT#slideanchor

Updated: 4:51 PM PST on January 18, 2010
56 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind: Calm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2010
2:27 AM

Post #7474829

That second photo is actually in Tujunga and about 2 miles from my BIL's place.
Didn't burn there but all the hills above it were fried.
I figured the mud would be flowing.
Hope no one was in the LA River channel!

Kelli after this is over I'd pull the windows and reseal them correctly.
It's a cheap, fairly easy fix and well worth the time.

Rann that dress is Beautiful! Nice Work!

Kiska you should have just walled up the back side of that glacier and used it as a walk-in freezer!

Celia they may well not have primed the wall before putting up the border.
They make a wheeled tool for piercing wall paper.
Then spray it w/ a very warm water/vinegar mix, let stand for 30 minutes and start scraping.
We stripped three walls last Spring that way.

We got a lot of the trim done today.
We had to rip all the lumber and then cut, mount, sand and prime...
The two windows were put in last year... well at the time we figured them on 3/8" drywall..
we used 1/2" .. so we had to shim all the window jambs but it came out well.

We should have it done and painted tomorrow.
Then we will move everything east... and finish the west side of the ceiling.
Have to run a bunch of wiring to the box before we can close it up.

I'll have some pictures tomorrow.

All the fish are OK... we were able to get a head count today.
I don't think we broke 40... foggy here this morning too.

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7475531

Good Morning! It's sure is dark outside, but I can hear Rich Creek ragin'! Everything is up & running high. Most of the snow is gone. I still have a little bit of the 'glacier' left on the deck.
Clear: 36F
Feels like: 36F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 7 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:33 AM
Sunset: 5:32 PM

Kelli, Those are some nasty looking pics of the flooding/mud. The mud looks like very thick chocolate pudding! Take care if you venture out that way... btw, How are your fish doin?
Ric, Can't wait to see the room finished, but at the pace you're going it shouldn't be a very long wait! ;) Looking Good! :D Glad all the fishies are OK...ours are, too. The heaters are still in the pond, but not on (just in case).
Rann, What a Gorgeous dress! Knitted, you say? Great! :D I see that Selma has that cute little bunny hidden in her jacket! So sweet! :D
Celia, I have no suggestions for your dilemma, but Rics idea sound pretty good! Your heating is only $70! :-O And they are wanting to raise ours!
Mau, ever since I got my 'puter' back I can't access FB. So I gave up...
Crissy, It takes time, but I finally got a job that's right up my alley (w/my degree). I wanted to work for the 'feds', but would have had to move... I don't think I would have been as happy there as I am where I am. Heck! I could have had a job in the Antarctic off the coast of Australia! LOL! But I'm too old for that stuff! ;) Good Luck! Hope the sugery went well...
Sally!!! LOL! I'll have to go take some barn pics! :D I'd bet E_B, Ric & Bernie could get some good ones!

Well must get ready for work...
Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

(one last reminder, because it will probably be All gone by this evening)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7475679

[quote="Kelli"]
/quote]

This is my first time to try the new "quote" feature--not sure just how to do it but anyway, Kelli, I suppose the next time I want my temperature to warm up, I need to pray that you will get rain! LOL
That LA river is nasty looking--wouldn't want to be swimming in that! The poor fireman ended up a victim himself, didn't he. I guess having a mudslide aimed at you is just as bad as having an avalanche headed your way
Ric: who needs Google when we have you--you are just a veritable goldmine of information. Did you memorize an encyclopedia or something? LOL and I don't say that in a sarcastic way, either.
Joey: sorry about the glitch in your computer: re FB--hope you get it ironed out soon.

Heading for a high in the 60's--cloudy with a chance of rain.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010 7:29 AM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 19, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7476104

We are getting these nice winterery scenes almost everyday.
30's in afternoon, down to 10 overnight. Very heavy fog. Then the hoar frost.

Busy here.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 19, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7476109

Another.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7476116

Mau move your first close bracket to immediately after Kelli and loose the = sign.
Put and open bracket [ before the / at the end.

[quote] "Kelli"
[/quote]

Like this but w/ brackets.
(quote) "Kelli"
(/quote)

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010 11:05 AM
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7476334

Cloudy
31 F

Bernie...Beautiful winter scenes up there. We have been having a thaw here for almost a week now.

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7476366

It has rained off and on for most of the night and is raining lightly now.

Thanks for the tip, Ric. If I had a spray bottle that worked I would try that now. I don't understand why it came off so easily in the dining area and is being stubborn in the hall.

35.9 F with 40 for the high.
Light Rain
Windchill: 36 F
Humidity: 85%
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 29.80 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2300 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 19, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7476513

[quote]btw, How are your fish doin?[/quote]

Pretty good. There haven't been any predatory problems lately. (Knock on wood.) The boo-boo has pretty much healed up on the one fish. Working in Antarctica? Sounds interesting and exotic, but yeah, that's for unattached 20-somethings. Jobs don't usually turn out to be as glamourous as first thought anyways. There is a reason why it's called "work", you know. ;-)

[quote] That LA river is nasty looking--wouldn't want to be swimming in that! [/quote]

It's a typical western "river" - ankle deep 95% of the time and a raging torrent the other 5%. People do drown in it every year. Sometimes it is homeless people living in the willows and sometimes it is people messing around and getting too close and once in while there is even someone who thinks it would be fun for innertubing. When I first moved out here, there was talk of making the L.A. River bed into a part-time freeway, but that idea died of its own stupidity, thank goodness.

[quote]I don't understand why it came off so easily in the dining area and is being stubborn in the hall.[/quote]

It's just that sheer cussedness that turns up in every project. You weren't expecting everything to go easily, did you? ;-)

I think for our first hiking trip after the rain stops, we'll go to a place with a pond and see if it has filled up.

The power was off through the night for an unknown amount of time. (Yes, DH did reset the time on the microwave yesterday even though I told him not to bother.)

It is very dark out. I guess I better get this sent out before the next power outage.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on January 19, 2010
53 F
Overcast
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: 14 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 20 mph

Doesn't this sound exciting?
A powerful frontal system will sweep through southwestern California
today and this evening... bringing heavy rain and scattered
thunderstorms. Even after the front moves through the region this
evening... very moist and unstable air will linger... maintaining a
threat of thunderstorms through at least midnight and possibly
through the night.

Some of the thunderstorms may produce small hail... wind gusts over
50 mph and torrential downpours. Atmospheric conditions will be
favorable for isolated weak tornadoes which could either form over
land or move ashore after forming as waterspouts.

pictures from the Arboretum on Saturday

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 19, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7476517

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 19, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7476520

Aloes are one of my favorite plant genera.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7476686

[quote="Kelli"]Atmospheric conditions will be favorable for isolated weak tornadoes which could either form over land or move ashore after forming as waterspouts. [/quote]

Eek! That's a little too exciting! We have a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, too, but I don't think they're going to be as exciting as yours...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:27pm CST (4 min ago)
Temperature 73 F 23 C
Dew Point 62 F 17 C
Humidity 68%
Pressure 29.88 in 1012 mb
Wind Speed 15 MPH
G 18 13 kts
G 16
Wind Dir S 190
Ceiling 2700 ft 823 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 77 F 25 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 60.1F / 15.6C

Rest of today Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of sprinkles in the morning. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy. Areas of dense fog. Areas of drizzle. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7476790

Thanks for the tip on the quote feature, Ric. I have used the quote feature before but that was before they changed it.
Celia: I heard on HGTV today that you can also use liquid fabric softener in water to spray on wallpaper to loosen it. If the vinegar and water doesn't work you might try the fabric softener.
Bernie: there are certainly no signs of spring up your way!! BRRRR!
Kelli: sounds like you might be in for some nasty weather. Hope it doesn't get too bad out there. Are those plants in your photos really in the aloe family? Wow--they are huge and the blooms look like the blooms on my torch lilies. I think I might need to move my torch lilies if I can expect them to get that big!!!
Marylyn: 73 would feel really good about now. :o))

It is currently 56F on my back porch and overcast. It was misting lightly earlier but seems to have stopped for now.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7476873

Yay! Kelli is getting Weather!

Love those Aloes... we spent a long time looking at that group... Amazing!

41 and that's about all we've had all day and tomorrow the same.
Mid 50's for the weekend!!

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7476929

My mom made it through surgery and her dr said that she needed that done very badly. He took out lots of scar tissue, cut the Pudendal and Rectal nerve on the right side, and did some other miscellaneous repairs, she didn't know what they were as of last night, but she was so groggy she didn't know what she was saying. She did say the initial pain was gone, but the burning urgent needing to pee feeling was still there, which is odd because it's the Pudendal nerve that gives that signal, plus she doesn't have a bladder but a bladder made out of intestine, so that doesn't make sense. I'll know more tonight, but YAY! Maybe she can start living again!

Oh Celia, you have your work cut out for you, I'd just paint over it LOL When was your house built? You have the same ceilings I did in my house in CA, that house was built in 1953.

Glad you had a good flight home Kiska!! Oh my look at that snow!

I'm not going to change jobs, my bosses here love me and are doing exactly what they say they're going to do with me. I don't know if I could get that anywhere else. Dave told me to stay, they want to advance me but the economy is in the way, just got to wait it out, it'll pass and things will be good again eventually.

Here's what me and Dave did yesterday:

Thumbnail by crissyr

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7477956

Glad everything worked out Chrissy!
I'm thinking she's experiencing something like the Phantom Pain that amputees feel.
Nice job on the pull off!!

We got all the trim sanded and painted w/ primer.
Robyn has changed her mind on the color so tomorrow we'll head out and pick up some paint.
Originally we were going to paint the whole room Linen White in a satin finish and in fact did paint the Bay that color.
Then the paint got used on the remodel up north.
We brought home the about 2 1/2 gallons of that mellow yellow color from there...
And the color on the Bay Trim won't work w/ the new color... with me so far...lol!
So we will get some Linen White enamel for the trim...
Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the curtain rods back up and the sliding doors hung.
We'll use temporary curtains for now.
Robyn will make the curtains after we get the room done.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7478050

Fog finally lifted some today. Temps in high 30s and cloudy. Now bracing for rain.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 20, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7478618

Crissy, sending hugs for your mom and praying she gets well soon.

It's been snowing for 2 days and it's going to snow until today at noon...grrrr! I prayed the snowflakes will be as small as they were , so the snow won't be too thick this morning when I went to work. So far the road was good to drive on...moreover, the temps will drop off to 24F...ugh! But this morning it was VERY BAD!!!!!!! I got stuck several times, but finally I got out to the main road...ugh!
I shovelled yesterday morning when I left for work, then Ionut shovelled again during the day and I shovelled again in the afternoon...then it was almost all covered again! This morning shovelling continued and I took the shovel with me, which was a good idea!LOL
I took some pics when I went out to feed the dogs yesterday afternoon when it was almost dark. I hope you'll enjoy it!
Hugs,
Adina

This message was edited Jan 20, 2010 6:08 AM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 20, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7478632

Trica with funny eyes!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 20, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7478642

Doggies, eating.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 20, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7478643

Buck showing his booboos.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7478664

Good Morning! Well the snow is gone, except for the big piles! But Adina seems to have picked up the snow! Wow! That's some great looking snow! :D To tell the truth, I'm ready for more! But I guess we'll just have some more rain for now...
Cloudy: 46F
Feels like: 46F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 76%
Wind: 6 mph SSW
Sunrise: 7:34 AM
Sunset: 5:34 PM
Today, Rain. High 46F. Light winds.

Kelli, The Aloe is Gorgeous! And Mau is right!...it Does look like a 'Red Hot Poker' bloom! Yep, the job was farming Salmon & I knew that it would be tough and for certain a '20-something's' job. 16 hour days, 6 days a week. LOL! Makes me tired thinking about it! ;) How much rain have you gotten?
Ric! Really shaping up there! I can't wait to see the entire room! :D I forgot to get my camera out of the car to take pics of our fish, but they are swimming around slowly in the bottom.
Kiska, is your 'ice shelf' gone? That was some Huge 'hangover'! :)
Bernie, You still have some hefty snow! I'm guessing that it won't leave until about April/May?
Crissy, Glad the surgery went well...hope recovery goes smoothly.
Celia, Good luck on the trim. I have no clue as what to do about it, but it's a shame that one section didn't come off as easily as the other one...
E_B, I quess all of the snow you've had is quite a mess as it melts off...or is it? That's a lot of snow & will probably take a long time to melt. But you'll get more before this winter is said & done. It's a 'snow-belt' thing.
Mau, "they' have tried to help me get it back...copy & paste stuff...but the things I was to copy & paste wouldn't copy & paste! How dippy is that? I tried it several times & just gave up.
Adina, How did Buck get his 'boo boos'?

Well...time to get ready...lots of cleaning to do. Our company that came in Tuesday is still there (from Cleveland), but the Big company is coming on the 28th. My guess is that it will never get cleaned enough to suit me! :D

Have a great day!
Joey

(one of my all time favorites!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7478870

Christine: so glad your mom made it through the surgery okay and that things are looking up for her. As Ric says. she may be experiencing phantom pain and hopefully it will go away.
Ric: things are looking good around your place!! Looking forward to pictures of the completed project.
Pepper: is it raining there?
Adina: love the snow pics! Poor Buck--what happened?
Joey: don't worry about the cleaning--with all those people there, you will just have to do it all over again after they leave!! LOL What a darling picture of JW! :o))

Currently 57 and raining--there go my plans to pull some weeds today! :o((
# Today: A few showers this morning with isolated thunderstorms developing
during the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High 66F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
# Tonight: Thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Low 54F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Sedum poking its head up through the leaves

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 20, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7479093

10*F
Dark-
Sunrise in a few hours at 9:47
Sunset: 4:28 with a gain of 4m49sec today. It's really adding up and was light at 5pm yesterday.
M2Keep~love the pic of JW, too. So much snow you've had already.
Adina~wow-to have been stuck so often, and all the shovelling, what a time you've had, too.
Kelli~unbelievable~our DD/family are at Disneyland and have the place to themselves:)) Terrible rain but the gkids don't seem to care as they play/ride.
ric~the room is looking great. You've got a lot done while I've been gone:)
The snow/ice on our roof remains in place till the next above freezing day; then it will begin the slow slide. I do use the garage as a freezer for a few months.
Chrissy~glad to hear the surgery went well-hopefully she be fine from here on.
marsue~the new green looks great; temps look good, too.
CG~love those snowy scenes. Winter at it's best.
We are having a friend spend the days with us while her daughter is out of state for a week. We took a drive to the Reindeer farm, as seen through the window.

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 20, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7479266

Kiska, I got home OK, the road is fine now. Thanks for caring! So many raindeers!
Mau, Buck has an ecseme and I am treating him with blue methylene which seems to be the only one that works.
Joey great picture, so funny!.
I'm beat so I'm going to take a nap. See you later!
Adina

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7479310

Adina, you have way more snow than we do. It rained and washed a lot of ours away. There are still places with it but ours was gone. What happened to Buck?

Kelli, I love the pics of the blooms! Lots of red there.

Kiska, your friends look like their having a good time. When I was a kid, there was a shopping center near us that brought reindeer in every Christmas. Very soft creatures.

Joey, I LOVE THAT PIC!!! LOL Thanks for the baby fix!

34.0 F with 43 for the high. A powdering of snow on everything that is now melting. A bigger storm coming tomorrow.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 34 F
Humidity: 91%
Pressure: 29.64 in (Steady)
Visibility: 4.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7479472

Kiska did they invite you to "Play in any Reindeer Games" ?

Drizzle coming down... we're at 34...the freezing stuff is about 60 miles north.

Looks like there's an evac going on in the area hit by the mud slides in Tujunga.
Something like 900 homes affected...

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7479715

I've been trying to post here all day long and keep getting interrupted, but I'm at work so that's to be expected.

Thank you Ric, I'm still sore from doing that. Figure I will be the rest of the week, no pain no gain, right? Your room there looks nice!

Adina your dogs are so cute!

Kiska I would have been petrified driving on those roads.

Kinda scary to be at this temp in January. Looks like we're going to be having storms all night. I was woken up by a thunderstorm at midnight that lasted two hours! I was chewing the storm out but it wasn't listening to me!

66.2 F
Overcast
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 65 F
Wind: 1.2 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 1.2 mph
Pressure: 29.54 in (Falling)
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds:
Mostly Cloudy 1800 ft
Overcast 2600 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 410 ft

Remainder of the Afternoon
Partly sunny. A chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. Highs around 70. South winds 10 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation 30 percent. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

Tonight
Showers with thunderstorms likely in the evening... then showers likely and thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms may be severe. Lows in the lower 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening...increasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. The chance of precipitation 80 percent. Average rainfall 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7479757

32 and raining. We started with freezing rain, then it sleeted. Weather liars said sleet first this morn and freezing rain this afternoon. Hmmm, I guess it doesn't matter what order since we got both. Right? The wind switched. It's from the east again. Of course we got mail. I went out to get it and the wind is just howling. It's not cold tho.

We ran to Best Buy yesterday in the fog (it wasn't too thick) to look at computers. We kind of know what we want now. I've been researching everything. Try doing that on dial-up. I barely got pages to load in. But it won't be long now!

Kelly, my Mom didn't like long hair either and didn't let me grow it till I was starting high school. It couldn't grow fast enough ! Enjoy what you have!!

Rann, you have so many talents!

Mau, I looked at my 2007 cholesterol report. It was higher back then. So, yes, it has gone down, but my Dr. didn't see it that way :o) Oohhh, I'll have a look at the barn thread next!

Joey, our snow has really melted too, but it still covers the ground. We need snow cover to protect the plants. I hope that's your car he cleaned.

Bernie, just beautful! We had hoarfrost too, but not as thick.

Early, I hope you found your barn faces. I linked to a Barn Face page above.

Kelly, very exciting if you aren't on the destructive side of it! And then, calm beautiful flowers :o)

Chrissyr, your Mom sounds like she went thru the wringer, but came out ok. I'm glad. I'm real glad you are secure in your job!

Ric, the room is going to be so nice! Robin is so talented!

Adina, so sorry you had such trouble getting to work. I love the snow picture! What happened to Buck? Got my answer for Buck.

Joey, ROTFL!!! My favorite too!

Kiska, where are all your moose? What do they do with the reindeer?

So now we're all getting rain? Crazy!

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7479805

I forgot to post what my mom said last night:

She doesn't feel any pain like she did, but the needing to pee feeling is definitely there, which is weird because she was diagnosed with Interstitial Stetitus but it went away when her bladder was removed and it's been gone for 20 years, now suddenly it's back. I told her she might need to go to a urologist and find out what the problem is. Anyway, I'm sure she can get some sort of medicine for that or something to help with that.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 20, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7480077

Hello everyone, I haven't been on this forum for a while. We have had some awesome weather and have been busy with getting ready to organizing, cleaning and setting everything up for seed starting.

It has been really warm the past few weeks and a lot of the snow melted. It is forecasted to snow again this weekend though. Our temps are going to be around average, highs near freezing and lows about -10C or +14F

My neighbors went to Vancouver Island to escape winter for the month of Dec and it rained the entire time. So last Thursday they went to Palm Springs for 2 weeks and the 2 weeks in Phoenix. I can't believe their sun seeking escape got messed up again. It looks like quite a bit of rainy days.

The days are getting noticeably longer. Sunrise: 8:28 AM & Sunset 5:06PM , 8 hours, 37 minutes of daylight.

Here's a confused oriental poppy. It is going to get a surprise when winter truly returns.

Thumbnail by joannabanana

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 20, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7480306

Crissy, I hope your mom gets to feeling normal again real soon.

Joey, that photo is a riot!

Bummer about the folks vacations getting rained out. Disneyland does have some indoor rides, but a lot are outdoors. At least the kids are having fun and they don't have to wait in lines. I don't know what there is to do in Palm Springs when it rains. I'm thinking not much. At least Phoenix has some museums and if they like basketball, they can go see a Phoenix Suns game.

We got 3/4" of rain yesterday and 1.2" since last night. By the time I'm done with this message, the total for the week should be at 4". They're still calling for heavy rain tomorrow and probably some rain on Friday.

Updated: 2:42 PM PST on January 20, 2010
48 F
Heavy Rain Mist
Windchill: 44 F
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SE

Sounds like the UPS guy is out there. This is not a good day to be a UPS guy.

some more Arboretum

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 20, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #7480319

The plants in the foreground are called sticks-on-fire. It is a euphorbia. I have the form that doesn't turn orange (bummer). That is called pencil plant.

(It was the UPS guy with my Easter craft kit. There is joy in Kelli Land.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7480560

Shoot ... I posted a long post earlier tonight and it didn't show up ...

Hildur Eva's birthday party for the girls in her class was today and was a smashing success. This was her first class birthday party so she was really excited! She decided to have a costume party so there was a houseful of princesses, plus a cheerleader, a clown and two wore pyjamas. Everything went smoothly and everyone was happy so mission accomplished :-)

It was wet and windy today, now cloudy and slightly calmer. 43F / 6C feels like 35F / 2C, wind from ESE at 15 mph / 26 km/h. We heard thunder earlier tonight ... couldn't believe it! My ex even saw a flash of lightning (he was here helping out with Hildur Eva's birthday party) ... pretty amazing. I can only remember hearing thunder once or twice before here, both instances were during the summer. Pretty bizarre.

Kelli - great photos! Loved the yucca photos as well!

Crissy - hope your mom makes a good recovery.

Celia - how's the battle with the border going?

Adina - that is a lot of snow! And some happy dogs :-)

Bernie - Beautiful! The frosted trees are so pretty! We never get hoarfrost that thick - wish we did once in a while, it looks so beautiful.

Sally - thanks :-)

Hi to everyone else!

Have a good night

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7480601

I thought I'd share this with you guys, stumbled upon it on youtube when I was looking for another song ... beautiful song/beautiful pictures, makes me feel truly blessed to have been born here (a good reminder with everything that's going on right now) ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7181bP_fedg&feature=related there is a version with english subtitles ... which is a really horrid translation, but you get the general idea, same video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6kWrBJT4J0&feature=related

Thumbnail by rannveig

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2010
1:01 AM

Post #7480602

Around 37* now. Was still foggy this morning but by afternoon it had lifted and it was just partly cloudy. Rained hard last night but I find it hard to believe since all the mud is still on my truck. When it rains it's supposed to clean my truck for me, not leave the mud. LOL

Whiskers and Curly getting ready to play.

Thumbnail by pepper23

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7480611

Well, I had mom on the phone and she told me that she's in just as much pain, if not more, than she was to begin with. She was released today and stuck in a hotel room for the night and she's just complaining about everything. Ug. I think it's the Interstitial Stetitus but she swears she never had it. That's why she had all the symptoms, was diagnosed with it, and in an Interstitial Stetitus group for 18+ years. Negative city!!

Look at those girls! How cute! Boy what I wouldn't give to be that age again!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7480612

LOL I'm gonna get you!
Not if I get you first!!

Cute Pep!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2010
2:09 AM

Post #7480761

LOL Rann!
Those pictures bring back many memories.
I'm 4 and 6 years older than my Sisters... saw the same scenes many times.
Tell the Ladies they all look Marvelous!

Pep looks like they are getting bored w/ Winter and each other...

Joanna glad to see you are back.
I think we had your cold weather for the last few weeks.

Bernie those are beautiful!

Plants are a bit confuse here too but that's becoming normal.
We've had Sedums poking up since Dec.

Well the next 4 days are scheduled to be 50 or above.
That might even wake up the fish!
The trim is all painted and tomorrow I'll start hanging the sliding doors.
Robyn's going to be putting in the Tile Baseboard...

Ric

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7481308

17F...The high temps have hovered around freezing the past 2 days so the melting has slowed quite a bit. We're looking at highs near 40F with some sunshine through the weekend. Still plenty of snow on the ground here--it'll take a lot more warm weather before it's gone though.

Rann...Looks like girls had a great time. I bet it was NOISEY! I was listening to NPR earlier today while driving into work and they did a segment on the situation in Iceland. Their reports are usually more in depth then the standard fare found on tv news etc. You can listen to it and others they have done recently here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122777063

Ric...Looks like you're making good progress. I saw some of your Christmas light photos on another forum and they really looked nice.

Kelli...I like all the red in the photos...don't go slip-sliding-away out there!

joey...Now that is funny! Who's wearing that ittsy bittsy teenie weenie red polka-dot bikini?

Billy...I'll have to see what I can dig up.

Photo: Summer storm over Lake Pymatuning

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010 2:45 AM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7481417

Mornin'! We have the fog too! Very bad coming home from work yesterday! And it's supposed to get really bad by in the morning...
Fog: 34F
Feels like: 27F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 34
Visibility: 2 miles
Wind: 9 mph ESE
Sunrise: 7:34 AM
Sunset: 5:35 PM
Yesterday this was a watch, but now is a warning...THE PRECIPITATION WILL FALL AS FREEZING RAIN TODAY... AND THEN TRANSITION TO A MIX OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET OVERNIGHT... AND THEN END DURING THE DAY FRIDAY WITH A LITTLE BIT OF LIGHT SNOW ADDED TO THE MIX.

Kelli, I have been watching your weather...please take care. Oooo...more great pics of the heat loving plants! Gorgeous! LOL! Glad all is well in 'Kelli-land'! :D
Ric, Is your BIL ok? I have been assuming that he is kinda in the middle of all those slides.
Kiska, Looks like your are keeping your company well entertained! :D I figure you're getting out to see what all you have missed! :) I know you're glad to be back home. btw, I have to read his number book to him all the time. ;)
E_B, Love that shot! It looks as if you've hand painted it! LOL! JW is a real 'poser'! ;) The last time his mom took his pic he had to run & brush his teeth 1st! Got any new pics of your 'little man'?
Rann, Looks as if you all had fun! :D I feel sure it was really noisy! But how did you get them all to sit still for the pic? :D So Cute!
Joanna, I'm jealous! I haven't even started 'thinking' about starting seeds! Well, I have thought about the veggie garden some, I have my pea & pepper seeds already.
Sally, Our snow cover is gone. :( And w/ the ice coming...(sigh)
Celia, you're welcome (for the 'fix')...I love that pic of Isis!

Oooo, getting late & I must get ready for work! bbl
Joey

(flooding last fall)

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7481662

Good morning!

Another wet and windy day here today ... here are the numbers courtesy of the weather channel, they seem to be pretty accurate most of the time:
Light rain. 41F / 5C, feels like 31F/ - 1C wind from at 24 mph / 39 km/h gusting to 38 mph / 61 km/h. Humidity 81%. Sunrise 10:40, sunset 4:39

Joey - thanks! Aaaah the magic of television ;-) They were watching a movie (Enchanted). Surprisingly it wasn't that loud - a very well behaved group of girls :-)

pepper - cute photo of the kitties :-)

Crissy - so sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well, sounds awful.

EB - beautiful! Thanks for the link ... a pretty accurate (and fair) coverage for a change. We're hearing more voices from abroad backing up our side, which is a good thing I guess. The bullies stand firm none-the-less. Experts say they don't want to settle the matter in court because they'd loose ... so better to use brute force to force us into an incredibly unfair settlement. Admirable isn't it? We're hoping to re-negotiate ... I don't think there's a chance the former settlement will be accepted in the referandum ... that settlement would mean that every person in this country would have to take on 1,5 million kronas (about $ 12000) extra in debt, so for our little family of three that would be $ 36000. That's pretty steep.

I'm out of photos ...

Have a good day!

Rann

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7481855

A quiet group of little ladies?
That would have been novel!
I remember when my DS's had sleep overs I would go out back and sleep in a tent...lol!

Supposed to be rainy here for the next few days. But above normal temps!

My BIL's place is in the 'flats'... I have a video I need to upload showing the drive from his place up into the Mountains.
The affected areas are basically on the hillsides directly under the burn areas on the mountain .

Ric

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7481986

Yesterday, it was so nice day and Rusty and Juju were playing alot on dry ground and I was clean out of my attach garage and garden shed to metal barn shed...

As last Monday, Ju's 2nd shot came up and it well behave but she got ear mite... Next 3rd shot in 3 weeks and have her spray fix... I just thinking about get her tail cut off but I know as Rusty hate it that he biting his tail tip about 2 inches off so I has his tail cut off and wear protect collar on for a week (bandage his tail don't want get infection or pull off the bandage)...

Poor Ju sit now on deck stair and see background is like pond! Raining this early morning when Ju woke me up at 3 am! Want go for potty so Ju look at and don't want go out for cold wet ground! Rusty goes out then back inside!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7481997

The border seems to be winning the battle.

More snow and rain coming.

34.6 F with 43 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 31 F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 29.49 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 1500 ft
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 21, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7482037

It was foggy last night & this morning. A little bit of frost this morning.

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 21, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7482056

Here's a pic of some rosehips

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7482132

My, my, the "peeps" have been chatty the last couple of days! LOL I thought I had posted here last night but I must have forgotten to hit the send button. Got in too big a hurry, no doubt.
Crissy: sorry about the latest with your mom--maybe once she gets home, the pain syndrome will settle down and she can get back to living once again.
Joanna: good to have you back with us. What do you consider "warm"? LOL Guess it is a relative term. I'm sorry your neighbors have been unsuccessful in their search for a better climate for the winter. Things have been really mixed-up everywhere, it seems.
Kelli: those "sticks on fire" are certainly appropriately named--very pretty, too. Glad things were happy in "kelli-land" :o)) Are you close to the area of the mud slides? It sure looks nasty out there from what they are showing us on TV!
Rann: that photo of Hildur Eva's party brings back memories for me, too. When my granddaughter turned 7, I had a "tea party" birthday for her at one of our local shops that specialized in parties for children. The little girls got all dressed up with feather boas, high heel shoes, make-up, fingernail polish, etc. Then they had a "parade" up and down the sidewalk in front of the store. They had a wonderful time and they all looked so cute. Hildur Eva's group certainly appeared to be enjoying themselves, too. I enjoyed the music and the video about Iceland. I agree with you--even though I don't speak Icelandic, just reading the English sub-titles, it appeared that the translation was not really a good one.
Pepper: what a cute photo of the kitties! :o))
EB: fantastic photo of the storm over the lake? Did you photoshop it?
Hi to Ric and also to Joey--waving from here ~~~~~~~~~
I "crossed" with rusty, Celia and Joanna--Hi to you all, too. :o)
Celia: sorry about the border. Did you try the fabric softener and water?
Joanna: I did have some big rose hips on my don Juan climbing rose but the rain made them soggy--they aren't pretty any more :o((
Rusty: hope all goes well with JuJu's vet visit, especially when you have her spayed.

It rained off and on all night. The ground is saturated again. No rain since I got up this morning about 5 a.m. Sun is shining now but it is fairly windy. High forecast to be 62F. Winds WSW at 10 to 20 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low near 40F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010 11:27 AM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7482437

I hope she loses some of that pain, but she always goes through this with every surgery, the second and third days are always the worse and being a negative thinking person where the glass is always half empty and it's not a rose bush but a thorn bush it's difficult for me to tell what she's feeling.

Partly sunny day today with temps in the mid 60's!! Woo Hoo
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 21, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7483241

Rusty, I don't know anything about ear mites, but it sounds horrible.

Celia, border or not, maybe you need to move out of that house. It is haunted by a ghost cat.

Marilyn, the mudslides are not near me. That is on the other side of the Valley, like 20 miles away.

Updated: 2:28 PM PST on January 21, 2010
52 F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 5 mph from the SW

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7483977

GO HERE NOW to end the Rumors!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7483956

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7484086

35* and feels like 29. High was 38*. Cloudy and miserable feeling. We want some sun!!! lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
2:58 AM

Post #7484265

Celia and Rusty VERY Funny pictures!
Joanna Beautiful!

43 still!
The 'Brook' on the new Pond opened up and started running today.
Haven't seen water coming out of it since New Year's Day.
Rained all day and it appears all day tomorrow too.
BUT the 'Liars' are saying 60 and some Sun Saturday!!

Pop in and say Hi! to the new Owners if you get a chance.

Well the Sliding Door Track is up... and works perfectly.
I still have to beef it up and trim it out.
Curtain Rack has been re-installed.
Looks like another trip to IKEA is in the future.
We're taking the track over the outside Library Door.
More privacy.

Here's the room as of a few hours ago.
Neither the doors or the curtains are the final deal..

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
3:02 AM

Post #7484275

And another view.
We'll be cementing in the baseboard tile tomorrow.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7484840

Good Morning! We had a lot of ice yesterday at work, but none here. I'm gonna try to get to work this morning, but if I can't make it safely, I'll just turn around & come home. So I'll need to leave a little earlier, just in case.
Cloudy: 34F
Feels like: 34F
Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 34
Visibility: 5 miles
Precip in last hr: 0.01 in
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:31 AM
Sunset: 5:35 PM

Ric! I Love It! :D
Kelli! LOL! A haunting Cat! :D
Rusty, you can take care of the ear mites with out taking JuJu to the vet. Just use Q-tips dipped in hydrogen peroxide & clean those little ears. Beats paying a vet to do it.
Joanna! Now that's some hefty frost! :-O
Mau, ~~~~waving~~~~
Crissy, Hope she feels better really soon.
Celia, Sorry about the trim...maybe you could ask at Lowe's or something...My luck, if I tried to paint over it, it would peal right off!

Well, I need to get a move on...
Have a Great Day!
Joey
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7485192

Hi Everyone!

48.6 F
Overcast
Windchill: 49 F
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 35 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.19 in (Rising)
Clouds:
Overcast 1800 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Today
Cloudy in the morning...becoming partly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the lower 60s. Northeast winds 5 mph in the morning...becoming southeast in the afternoon.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. We may get severe weather tomorrow afternoon. Joy!

Thanks for the info Ric!

I'll see ya'll later, I'm going to get some coffee and attempt to wake up.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7485364

43 here and just starting to see the clouds breaking up.
Looks like 50 for a high!

Sorry to hear about the ice storm Joey!
BE SAFE!

Chrissy you're Welcome.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7485488

Now, I know why I couldn't sleep this morning. A possibility of no Dave? Glad that has been cleared up. Whew!

38.6 F with 40 for the high. 70% chance of snow/rain.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 33 F
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 26 F
Wind: 7.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 18.0 mph
Pressure: 29.24 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

This morning.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7485549

I see a bunch of huge Christmas trees! LOL Nice pic of the sky.

You know when you're trying to get something done, and it's a group effort, and there's one person who doesn't respond to your emails? It makes it kinda difficult.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 22, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7485965

Hi guys! Sorry I missed you yesterday, I felt sick and stayed in bed, but I'm better today. Thanks for your concern. It's very cold today and it's getting worse in the next days. Today it's been 22F, but going down to 6F tonight...brrrr!
I'm glad I'll stay home this week-end and rest.
The wind started to blow, like it wasn't cold enough...arrrgghhh! I better go and stay under the blanket and make a hot tea . I took some pics outside with the snow.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 22, 2010

Post #7485970

Icicles.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 22, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7485971

I don't know Dave at all, but I'm glad they're keeping him. He's the one who made this website what it is.

We got an inch of rain yesterday. The sun was out when I got up but it has clouded up and started raining again.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on January 22, 2010
46 F
Light Rain
Windchill: 42 F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 7 mph from the SSE

a couple more Arboretum

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 22, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7485977

Keep warm, Adina. Get well soon.

Thumbnail by Kelli

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7486203

Adina glad you're feeling better! Lots of illnesses going around, and I don't want it!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 22, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7486558

This is unsettling. A bunch of termites came out of the wall that has the window that leaks. :-(
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
12:02 AM

Post #7486667

Oh no, Kelli!! :-(
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 23, 2010
1:02 AM

Post #7486835

11*F @ 4pm.
Highs 10 to 15 above.
Clear blue sky with freezing fog/hoarfrost over all. Very pretty.
Sunrise:9:43 AM AKST
Sunset: 4:34 PM AKST
Tired of being late to the party but can't quite seem to get it together since getting back home last week. Love seeing all you've done and keeping up, even if a bit late.
The snow/ice load on the roof as of this afternoon/ this one's for you, bp:)

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 23, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7486843

Glad to be home/cold and snow and fresh air can't be beat.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2010
1:50 AM

Post #7487007

Cold and snow can't be beat? Umm...well...o.k... To each his/her own. ;-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
1:54 AM

Post #7487022

Ric: thanks for that link. I posted it on two threads over on Mid-South. It should help put an end to some of the speculation a about DG.
Joey: sorry about the ice--if I had to pick between snow or ice, I would take snow any time!
Kelli: sorry about the termites!! I sure hope you have a termite contract!
Adina: glad you are feeling better--a cup of hot tea always helps.
Kiska: I agree about the fresh air, but you can have the cold and the snow! LOL

It started getting colder this afternoon--it was already 46F on my back porch a little while ago.
# Tonight: Considerable cloudiness. Low around 45F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tomorrow: Cloudy in the morning, then thunderstorms developing later in the day. High 59F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

My grandson was in the Quiz Bowl today which featured students in the GT classes in all the fourth grades in Cabot. (Cabot has 6 elementary schools). His team didn't win but just being in the Quiz Bowl is an honor. All the students received a medal for participating. Each student in the top two teams received a trophy.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
2:14 AM

Post #7487098

Congrats to your GS Mau!

Kelli I was afraid that would happen.
Wet wood in a dry climate... hope it isn't too bad.
We had to rebuild a bunch of Robyn's Parent's walls...
and the center wall of our house had them at some point. WAY before us...
I just got to repair all the damage.

Kiska glad you are getting back into the AK mind set.
Brrrrrrrrrrr!

Adina hope you are feeling better!

We had a bit of Sun and a nice 50 day!
Hey in the Midwest in January that's like a balmy Spring day!
I sat and watched the fish SLOWLY swimming around this afternoon.
I even saw the ones in the Stock Tank Pond swimming around under the ice.

Robyn got most of the Christmas Decorations out of the front beds.
Then we worked out the cuts for the baseboard tile.
It's all cut and a big % is installed.
We have to wait to see what trim we will use on the doors before we can install the rest.
Guess she'll be grouting tomorrow.
I pulled the Door Track down, installed the header and reinstalled the track permanently.
Then ripped the facia board and mounted it.
Tomorrow I'll be painting and finish marrying that last original to new construction corner.

We have a bit of a surprise coming for you for the sliding doors...
Something I had been thinking of doing outdoors... seems we can do it here..

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #7487260

42* and feels like 35*. Been cold all day due to the dampness in the air. We aren't supposed to see the sun again for another week. Grrrrr...

Thumbnail by pepper23

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
3:52 AM

Post #7487361

The sun has been down here, Pepper! It's been a very very nice couple of days here. We've had the windows open, and we had a picnic lunch at a park today. It's been a very very very busy week and I'm so glad it's almost done!! We have company over the weekend, but now that the house is (finally) clean (yayy!), they aren't any stress. :-) Tomorrow we have an lunch event for a group we are part of, and then the rest of the weekend is hopefully going to involve lots of napping. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:08pm CST (39 min ago)
Temperature 64 F 18 C
Dew Point 60 F 16 C
Humidity 88%
Pressure 29.68 in 1005 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH 11 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling 2100 ft 640 m
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 66.9F / 19.4C

Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening, then mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Areas of fog after midnight. Warmer. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Saturday Mostly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Areas of fog early in the morning. A 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
Saturday night Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7487453

We are at 33.8 after a high of 38 today. Very windy tonight & raining off & on.

Installed an upper corner cabinet & a drawer unit in a ladies kitchen today. We have been working at her house for 2 years. We do a cabinet or two at a time as she can afford them.
Now she has more ideas. We will never run out of work there.

All ready to cheer on MN Gophers basketball tomorrow & Vikings on Sunday!

Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #7488012

Ric: Good--I love surprises! As long as it is a good surprise! LOL
Pepper: I feel your pain about no sunshine!
Marylyn: If you keep talking about sunshine and open windows you just might have more company than you bargained for! LOL
Bernie: it's nice to have job security! Is this Super Bowl week-end? (you can tell I'm a dyed-in-the-wool sports fan, huh?)

It was 44 on my back porch at 5:30 this morning. No rain yet but they have upped our chances to 90%. :o((

# Today: Cloudy early, then thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High near 60F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
# Tonight: Thunderstorms early, mainly cloudy overnight with a few showers. A few storms may be severe. Low 48F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Come on spring! I need to see this again!

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7488031

2 weeks until super bowl. This weekend is play offs to see who goes to super bowl.

Wind is still howling.
34 & light rain.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7488058

Come on down!! :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7488114

Thanks! Now all I need is a private jet! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7488200

Well Mau if all you need is a Private Jet then just wire me the money.
Lunkin Field near us has plenty and we can stop by and pick you up...

I 'hope' the surprise is a good one... LOL!

43 here and cloudy.
Going for the mid 50's and near 60 tomorrow.
But we'll pay for it w/ rain.
Then like most here a drop back down to near or slightly below normal temps.

Bernie the Vikings are now my 'Root For' team.
I do hope the Jets make it also.
But just to see former Brown's WR Braylon Edwards (AKA here as Edwards 'Scissorhands' )
drop passes...lol!

Sorry don't watch college or pro BB...
when they put in the two step rule and allowed contact and palming I lost interest.
Loved it when it was a finesse game!
My Granmother ran a boarding house across from the University of Dayton Fieldhouse and I was at about every Flyers game. Parked cars in her driveway to get the money for the tickets.
Later I contracted w/ a group of Priests .
Saved them a parking spot...sat w/ them in the reserved section... lol!

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7488379

Kiska it is difficult getting back into a routine when you've been gone for that long. It will happen though. That is pretty and look at your roof! I agree with Mau, I'll take the snow over ice any day, but coming from a place where we never get either, uummm I'll still take the snow over ice LOL!

Kelli you better call someone if you don't have anyone to rid those termites. Not Good.

Mau congrats to your GS! What a cutie!

I don't watch BB but I love FB! I hope the Jets and Saints go to Superbowl, that way it will be easier for the Saints to win the Superbowl LOL!!! See, this puts me in a pickle because I like the Vikings and Saints about the same, so I guess I'll go for the most local team, but I so want to root for Farve.

Mau already posted the weather so I'm not going to repeat it LOL

Since Dave got laid off I've had to start up my health insurance with the State, Oh My it drops my paychecks from $770 biweekly down to $590 biweekly, they're taking $187.00 out of my paychecks just for me and Dave, and they don't include Dental insurance, if you want Dental coverage you have to go get it on your own! I am so fit to be tied about this, I think I was bringing home more before I got that $2.50 raise! I don't know what to do, Dave says there's nothing I can do, we know the State doesn't cover crap when it comes to benefits, but I plan on being there until I'm 60 something, and my boss is doing what he says he's going to do (which is extremely hard to find) so I should just calm down and ride the waves with everyone else. I just want to sit and cry.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7488428

Look what I found on Accuweather:

Severe Storm Threat for Little Rock, Surrounding Areas:
Severe storms will ignite later today from southern Missouri to northeastern Texas as a powerful storm rolls across the south-central Plains. The storms will spread farther south and east toward the central Gulf states overnight.

Little Rock and Shreveport, La., will both be in the path of storms by the late afternoon and evening hours today.

Threats with the storms will be damaging winds in excess of 60 mph, hail and even a few isolated tornadoes. Minor structural damage to homes and businesses will be possible on top of the potential for scattered power outages. Downed trees and branches could also be strewn across some neighborhoods.

Heavy downpours from the storms could not only slow traffic, but could also lead to localized flash flooding.

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/popup/iws0_430.jpg

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7488495

Ric, I think that basketball lost it when they went to the 3 point shot. How dumb, somebody bombing from 50 ft. In the old days if a guy pulled a stunt like that he would have been the bench warmer the rest of the game.
Most teams don't even know how to get in near the basket. Just pass it around for 30 seconds then some guy shots from way out. Dumb, dumb!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7488547

The sun is shining brightly - after two days of cold, wet rain, it is a blessing though it is still feeling cold at 38.

Care to all.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7488622

Chrissy Quit looking at Accuweather! LOL!

Yep Bernie that's another peeve.
Why learn to ball handle... just chuck it!

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7488822

37 , windy, cloudy and I'm waiting for that 1'' of rain we're to get later. We have the pump, hose and our rain coats ready. With the ground frozen, the garage will flood.

I'll catch up later. The computer is acting up.

Good news is, we ordered the new computers yesterday and they'll be here in February. None too soon for me!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2010

Post #7488967

Well, we got beat by 3 pointers. Not to bad, only lose by 1 point to a team with all the best players in the country. None of our players are ranked as good as their poorest one.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7489018

35.9 F with 36 for the high. We had a dusting of snow last night that is now melting.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 36 F
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 25 F
Wind: 1.0 mph
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph
Pressure: 29.85 in (Steady)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1600 ft
Scattered Clouds 2200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Wasatch Range.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7489075

Celia, that's such a beautiful view!
Crissy, so sorry you are having sucha hard time with money, I hope Dave gets a job soon.
Mau, thanks for posting those beautiful roses! Congratulations for your grandson!
Sally, great news about the computers!
Ric, the room looks great!
Kelli, wonderful pictures and great blooms!
Kiska, that curtain of snow is amazing!
Pepper, what a cutie!

Thanks for caring, guys! I'm feeling better , my throat isn't sore anymore, but the nose still bothers me...ugh!
Today we had the plumber coming over to make some repairs, nothing too urgent, but we had to have them done. Still has more to do because it took too much to repair the faucet which wasn't too well fixed in the wall.
It snowed again today, but not too much, still I was worried the road might get covered again.
I took some pics the other day when it was sunny.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7489080

My little pinetree covered with snow...and Trica sleeping on the snow. He enjoys so much staying out! Lucky he has a thick fur!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7489082

He is so funny !LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7489084

Our street.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7489086

Cold sunset.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7489093

Icicles on the thuja.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7489099

49* and feels like 46*. Occasional drops of rain but nothing worthwhile. I still have at least 5 layers of mud on my truck and now have some on hood and windshield. LOL.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2010
1:11 AM

Post #7489908

Ric: I should have said: "Now all I need is the money to buy a private jet!" LOL but there is always the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweeptstakes--I've been waiting on a call from them for years!! LOLOL
Crissy: sorry about the finances--it is an adjustment when the $$$$ you are accustomed to having every month are suddenly cut way back! That happened to us when Buddy retired and then again to me when he died. I am an expert on pinching pennies but I am not destitute by any means. I am fortunate in that I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food on my table and a decent vehicle! It's just that the "extras" aren't part of my life anymore.
Celia: lovely photo of the Wasatch. You've been quiet--is everything okay?
Dyson: you had sunshine!! Hooray!
Bernie; hope the Vikings win tomorrow!
Adina: lovely photos--Trica has his own fur coat--LOL
BP: hooray--new computers on the way!!

We just had a thunderstorm but it was short-lived. It has already passed over. It was overcast and slightly windy today but no rain until the thunderstorm blew in.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2010
1:38 AM

Post #7489976

Rats Mau!
Now I have to call and cancel the jet! ;-)

Pep Great Shot!
Celia and Adina I'd almost forgot what Winter looks like.
Thanks, I think, for the reminder...lol!

Well it was a pretty nice day here today.
Right at 50 and fairly calm.
Tomorrow we're looking at 62 ... then Winter returns...
Trust me from the way my sinuses have felt all day I didn't need a forecast.
We got most of the Holiday Decorations down ... boxing for storage will be another day.
I also got the last of the East Wall trim in and primed.
Tomorrow we'll bring in the sliding doors and get to work on them.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7489978

Adina, glad you're better. Such lovely views you have.

Mau, just trying to keep busy. I try to limit myself on the computer these days. Sitting in here makes things hurt all over if I do it too long.

Pepper, Darrell has a hard time hiding the laces from Monty who eats them! LOL

Oquirrh Range.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #7490021

Adina cool pics!
That's a nice picture Celia, love the snow covered mountains in the background.
What a cutie kitty pep! Then again, almost all animals are cute with their fuzzyness and all.

We went to Hot Springs today to the horse races, Dave read his little article and decided to bet $2.00 on one to win, well he came in 8th or something, then we stayed for a few more races as I like being outside to look at the horses and jockeys, I wanted to bet on one and he said no, it's a good thing because I would have lost that too! It started to sprinkle but the storm was still way west so we decided to stop at Chili's and eat Drunch at 3:30 (lunch/dinner) It started to rain really good as we were paying for it so we hurried up and hurried home and just beat the storm by about 10 minutes! It wasn't bad at all, but it built up and it's nasty on the East side of the state now.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7490181

We've got the termite guys coming to look on Tuesday.

Sunny and warmish (low 60s?, high 50s?) today. It got down to 33F last night.

We went hiking today. The parking lot was closed. You can see why.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2010 7:15 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7490185

Most of the trails were little creeks.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7490214

The pond is 1/2 to 3/4 full. The ducks are mallards, buffleheads, widgeons, and a pintail.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7490353

Your article is excellent, as usual, Kelli! :-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #7490364

Thank you :-)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7491195

Kelli I'm glad the pesticide people are coming out. I hope they're not too far into your home and just in that window so it's easier and less expensive to treat. Nice pics also, after it dries up a little out there I'm going to go out and get some pics myself, it's been awhile.

It's bright and sunny with nice blue skies:

50.7 F
Clear
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 3.1 mph from the West
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph
Pressure: 29.09 in (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 614 ft
Today
Partly sunny. A slight chance of showers during the day. Highs in the upper 50s. West winds 5 to 10 mph in the morning... becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. The chance of precipitation 20 percent. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. West winds 5 to 10 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7491224

Kelli: I didn't notice that you had an article--I will go and read it when I finish posting here. Nice photos of your hike!

It may be bright and sunny where Crissy lives but it is just partly sunny here in my neighborhood. The sun does try to break out but the clouds keep covering it. :o(( However, the birds think it is spring. They are twittering loud and clear. LOL
Currently about 53F on my back porch.
# Today: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. High around 60F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Some clouds this evening will give way to mainly clear skies overnight. Low 36F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7491827

The sun is out full force here!! WHOO HOO!!!!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7492093

BOOOO!!!!! LOL!

Temps dropping yet Pep?
We have your rain...

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7492164

40* and feels like 34*. Bout the same as yesterday. Winds around 11 mph. Still supposed to snow tonight though. LOL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 24, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7492262

We had sun too today, but it was freezing outside, only 5F this morning!
Kelli, lovely article! termites...how scary! I hope they kill them all!
Ric, I almost forgot how winter looks like too, but now I'll remember this one!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 24, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7492269

Another picture.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7492272

I only went outside to feed the fish and put some stuff into the compost bin, but it felt warmer than this.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on January 24, 2010
59 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 37 F

Some more pictures from yesterday. The fence was too high to see over. All of the time I have lived out here I have never heard of a name for this mountain range. We call it The Mountains Behind Fillmore.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #7492277

Adina, the second tree looks like it is screaming, "Save me! Save me!"

ceanothus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #7492280

Manzanita is starting to set fruit already. Manzanita is Spanish for little apples and that is what they look like, but they are no relation.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 24, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7492470

10*F
1pm w/blue sky and bright sunshine.
Adina~winter pics are very nice. Snow/frost certainly lends a new look to everything.
Kelli~glad the storms have passed; love your hiking photos. No name mt. has a great name:))
marsue~keeping fingers crossed for Sweepstakes win:))
chrissyr~hope you can get out for photos; sure makes for a great day when I do. (like today).
ric~won't be long and the room will be done. We didn't do Christmas decorations as we weren't here; I don't miss the putting away.
The Knik Glacier flows along the base of the Chugach Mountains about 25 miles from Palmer. This was taken in Palmer@airport.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2010
11:19 PM

Post #7492615

Celia, Kelli and Kiska all have snowy mountain photos. Adina has bushes covered in snow. BRRRRRRRR --and if I ever show you snow-covered mountain peaks like those, you will know that I am not in Arkansas!! LOLOL

Pretty pics of the snow-covered plants, Adina.

the sun did come out here for a while and I was able to get out and do some work in the flowerbeds. I noticed that there are already green leaves coming out on the Hot Lips Salvia. My black and blue salvia is greening up, too--LOL It was good to be outside in the garden again. However, the clouds returned and the wind started blowing so my outdoor time came to an end. It is getting colder here, too.
It is currently 46F on my back porch. It was 56 when I was outside earlier.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2010
11:34 PM

Post #7492669

Kelli, excellent article today.

When we lived there, we knew of Santa Paula Peak behind Filmore but I don't know the name of the mts., either.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7493535

Sorry Bernie!
I was rooting away for the Vikings!

GREAT shot Kiska!

Kelli are you going to make Jelly?

Well Folks We CLOSED on the House we remodeled up in Dayton!
Paperwork is being aired to CA and our check should be in the mail by Midweek!

Here's a shot of the track and housing we constructed for the Sliding Doors.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 25, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7493554

I blame the coaching staff. All they had to do was let the clock run down, kick a field goal & go home, but oh, we must run one more play. (In regulation.)

Now we can settle into a nice work mode.
We are going to build cabinets for a brand new house. Kitchen, Laundry room, 2 bathrooms & a large surround on both sides of the fireplace, complete with wine rack, cooler & glass storage. It's a townhouse on Mille Lacs Lake. One of the biggest tourist lakes in Minnesota.

Still 30 here with light snow.
Big wind forecast for tomorrow.

Bernie, now rooting for the Colts. (Saints are to dirty of players.) Maybe fines for those late hits on Farve.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7493565

I agree 100% Bernie.

Nice little contract there!
Hopefully it leads to many more at the Lake.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #7493771

Congratulations, Ric and Robyn! That'll surely come in handy at this time. Great work.

Good for you, Bernie!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7493982

40 F with rain falling this morning. We had plenty of hard steady rain Sunday so the snow cover continues to melt. No problems with flooding or high water in the area though. Monday will be the last day of the thaw with high temps forecast below freezing over the next 10 days.

Bernie...My son is a big Vikings fan (I'm not sure how that happened here in Steeler's country) and I was rooting for them too. I feel bad for Farve. If he would have run that last play the Vikings could have kicked the winning field goal. It's really quite remarkable they were in position to win the game at the end of regulation in spite of all the fumbles. I couldn't believe the refs didn't flag that guy who came in from the blind side and went for Farve's knees. It sure looked like a blatant attempt to injure him. The pass interference call on the Saints winning drive was weak too.

Ric...Congrats on the house closing! Looks like the remodeling is progressing nicely!

adinamiti...Looks like a winter wonderland there! We have not had any new snow here for a couple of weeks which is really unusual for January.

Kelli...Looks like you are into your "green mode" again. You should have a great year for wildflowers with all of the rain that has fallen there.

Photo: Early Jan. My big hog kettle is barely visible under the snow.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 25, 2010 1:24 AM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7494165

Good morning!

Very windy and raining this morning ... storm last night, not quite as windy this morning. 50F / 10C feels like 42F / 6C. Wind from S at 29 mph / 47 km/h gusting to 40 mph / 64 km/h. Light rain. I woke up around 3 am to howling winds and rain pounding on my window ... Sunrise will be at 10:29, sunset at 4:52.

I've been lurking, but never found the time to post. I've enjoyed all the posts and photos :-)

Kelli - nice photos from your hike .. everything's so nice and green after the rain :-) Sorry about the termites .. Yikes! Hope they'll be able to take care of it without problems.

Adina - great photos ... looks really cold though!

Friday was the start of orri (pron. Thorri - one of the old norse months ... and the only one we still observe ..) That means time for the spoiled food festivals (orrablt) ... I'm not a fan and don't eat the stuff although I appreciate how it kept people alive here in harsher times and it's an important part of our heritage. Here's some info for those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorramatur

I found this when googling Thorramatur - you might find this interesting ... a few tidbits of info on our customs as seen through the visitor's eye (among other things the thorra food) : http://images.google.is/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1/3865890-Thorramatur_The_old_Icelandic_food-Reykjavik.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Iceland/Reykjavik_Region/Reykjavik-247851/Local_Customs-Reykjavik-BR-1.html&usg=__4AYzGWoDIL4RJU6l-sbLkNGGn50=&h=130&w=182&sz=7&hl=is&start=35&um=1&tbnid=ntteaLFWvrjOXM:&tbnh=72&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%25C3%259Eorramatur%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Dis%26rlz%3D1C1CHMR_enIS325IS325%26sa%3DN%26start%3D21%26um%3D1
Not all of the information there is true though ...
the rock piles (called vara/vrur) are totally unrelated to trolls and elves, they were built to mark mountain passages for travelers before roads were built ... people still build them just to mark that they were in the area, although it's been discouraged in recent years,
most people here drink water from the faucet because it's the best water you can get ...
and alcohol wasn't banned here until 1989, just beer.

Hope you have a good day!

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010

Post #7494236

Good Morning! We had about 2.5" of rain yesterday along with hefty winds...Flooding everywhere. Supposed to have snow by Friday.
Mostly Cloudy: 54F
Feels like: 54F
Barometer: 29.4 in
Dewpoint: 52
Humidity: 94%
Wind: 14 mph WSW
Sunset: 5:40 PM
* FLOOD WARNING FOR URBAN AREAS AND SMALL STREAMS (Rich Creek is 'roaring')

Kelli, What marvelous Green! ;) Your article was Great! just like your pictures! :D Yuck, on the termites. I hope you can get rid of them fast & easy. Hope there's not too much damage.
Rann...~~~~waving~~~~
Mau, too bad about the plane! ;) After all this rain we've had I'm ready for the spring!
Adina! You have the snow now! Very pretty, but I hope you don't have any more trouble getting to work.
Ric, The ice wasn't so bad, or not as bad as the weather folks let on. We didn't have any ice here in our little valley, but everybody around sure did. And unless things change by Fri. we should be hammered w/the white stuff again! ;D Everything is looking Great! at you house! :D Yeah!!!!! on closing on the house! :D I would think it's a relief to get it sold, especially in todays market.
E_B, You still have a lot of snow! Wow! "Hog kettle"? LOL! I've never heard them called that before! ;)
Celia, Kiska, Kelli...love seeing those snow-capped mountains! :D Thanks! :D
Bernie, Congratulations on the new, Huge job! You're becoming Famous! :D

Need to go take care of this sinus head ache...HOT SHOWER!

Have a Great Day! Everyone!
Joey

(looking forward to this)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7494358

Ric: Hooray for closing on the house--$$$ are good--LOL Can hardly wait to see the completed sewing room--still waiting on the surprise!
Bernie: sorry your team didn't win--:o(( but congrats on that new cabinet job--sounds like you will be busy for a while.
Kelli: nice article on "green"! So-- you won't be making any manzanita pie, huh?
Celia and EB: nice photos!
Joey: I am not a huge fan of ivy but seeing anything green this time of year perks up my spirits.
Kiska: thanks!--Just as soon as I get my Publisher's Clearinghouse check, I will be jetting around the country to visit all my DG friends! LOL
Rann: waving from here~~~~~~~I'm going to check out those links now but somehow spoiled food doesn't sound too appetizing. LOL wow, 50F--you are having a regular heatwave!

# Today: A mix of clouds and sun with gusty winds. High 51F. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low 32F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7494823

5*F
Dark w/clear sky filled with stars.
Highs to 20>25
Sunrise:9:36
Sunset:4:42
Gain of 5minutes 9seconds daylight today.
Kelli~great article and photos.
ric~so glad the house sold; the doors/room are great.
CG~you're so busy; what a nice place the owners will have when you've finished.
kwanjin~gorgeous sky.
marsue~about 20 years ago a friend of ours was actually making travel plans based on winning PClearinghouse. Not winning was a terrible disappointment for her.
m2keep~what a storm and more snow in the near future; quite a winter.
rann~wild and stormy for you, too. I'll check the link.
EB~the deep snow is so pretty.
Alpenglow on the Talkeetna Mountains behind Palmer. 4:38pm

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7494878

Sunny and Cool here at 37
We're into a roller coaster temp wise.
40 today... 31 tomorrow... then back up...

Thanks on both Houses.
We seriously needed to move that house.
Split 5 ways it's not a lot of money but hey...lol!

Dave started a new Forum last night.
And he's teaching classes...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/yeasty/all/

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 25, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7495039

We are in a white out condition. 22.
Wind 35 to 40 MPH, gusts to 50+
Good day to stay home & warm.
These are the days when it's nice to be self employed & shop is just outside of the house.

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7495197

Rann, that was fascinationg to read! Thank you so much! It's a new lesson every time I log on here. LOL

Ric, anything about $0 is a bonus, right?

Bernie, you are, indeed, lucky! LOL

Kiska, you seem very glad to be home. Great pic!

Joey, that's scary!

30.4 F with
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 30 F
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 15 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 30.22 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 1000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Flickers.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7495504

It now 34* and wind chill 23* wind howling and chance flurries...

It so chilly when I goes outside with my dogs and Ju couldn't stand it so cold then wanting go back inside! lol...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7495657

Rann: very interesting info on those links you posted, although you won't find anything on the menu in my house with the word "liver" in it (liversausage).
When I was young, my mother rarely ever cooked liver but the rule at our house was that you had to eat at least 3 bites of everything on your plate. Whenever
I had to eat liver, I would gag at every bite.--Nastiest stuff I ever put in my mouth!! I swore to myself that when I grew up I swore to myself that I would never cook liver and my children would never have to eat liver--and I didn't and they didn't--and we still don't! LOL My mother was a kind and loving woman but she did have a few quirky little rules that didn't sit too well with us kids.
By the way, Rann, do you speak Danish, too? I noticed on one of those posts on the website that most Icelanders speak Danish and English as well as Icelandic.
Kiska: nice alpenglow photo. My MIL, back in the early 90's was convinced she had the winning number for the PCH sweepstakes. Actually, what happened was that they sent her 10 numbers and said that one of them could be the winning number. She was convinced that it said she definitely had the winning number. She sat through the whole superbowl TV program that year thinking they were going to announce her as the winner. Talk about misleading the elderly!! :o((
Bernie: a whiteout! Wow!
Ric: I'm going to check out that link you posted now.
Rusty: I don't blame JuJu for not wanting to go outside. I don't like to go out when it is cold and windy, either!

Speaking of wind, it is windy here today, too. The sun is shining and it is 44F on my back porch but feels colder because of the wind.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2010 1:40 PM

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 25, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7495912

Hi guys! Sorry I can't comment. It's been freezing this morning, only 5F and my car wouldn't turn on, so I had to call the car repair service. They sent a truck to take us there and they had to change the battery and the spark plugs. It's working now and i hope tomorrow it will start...it's going to be 4F!!!!!!
Adina
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7495960

I hope your car starts, too, Adina! 4F... brrrr!!!!

Sorry about the Vikings, Bernie. I was rooting for them, too. They've been my brother's favorite team for eons.

It's still pretty here. We have another cold front coming through on Thursday and we'll have to cover the garden again for a couple of nights before it warms up again.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CST (38 min ago)
Temperature 64 F 18 C
Dew Point 36 F 2 C
Humidity 35%
Pressure 30.01 in 1016.2 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir SSW 200
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 35.1F / 1.7C

Rest of today Mostly sunny in the late morning and early afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 60s. North winds around 5 mph in the morning becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Tonight Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 25, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7496077

-12C, which is +9F and snowing
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7496256

Kelli great article!

Great info Rann, I agree with Mau, every time I come here I learn something.

YYAAAAYYYYY Ric!

My mom loves liver, she used to fix it for just herself because me nor my dad like it and she would completely stink up the house.
It is windy today and the building keeps swaying a little, the doors are creaking. At least I know the building would sway and not break off in the middle if an earthquake ever hit.

I didn't get out to take pictures, I went to Wally World, got my car washed, and did some other errand, I don't remember what I did lol, and by the time I got back home it was overcast, windy, and cold, plus football was going to come on. The Superbowl is going to be awesome, both teams play rough. It's not the Saint's fault my favorite quarterback is old, Joe Montana went through the same thing and retired at 40.

Well I better get off here and start doing some work, 50 minutes and it's homeward bound!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2010
10:36 PM

Post #7496340

Crissy, Mau and Celia - glad you enjoyed the links :-)

Mau - I don't like liver either and unfortunately it was quite frequently on the menu when I was a kid (and I too had to eat it). However, the liversausage doesn't really taste like liver, and it's one of the few items on that menu that I can actually eat (as long as it's not the sour kind - I don't eat any of that stuff ... ) The girls also like the liversausage ... the bloodsausage on the other hand is never on the menu here. My mom sometimes fried it and sprinkled a bit of sugar over it and it's really not bad like that, especially if it's made with raisins ;-) lol The sheep's heads (svi) taste very good, but after my 7 years in the US I was no longer able to eat them ...LOVED them as a kid (the tounge was my favorite). Now the dried fish and the smoked lamb is the only things I really like ... and the rye and flat breads ... the flatbread with smoked lamb is a must try ;-)

about the Danish ... well it's a bit of an exageration that most people here speak both English and Danish. Younger people speak english, people over age 60 not neccessarily (they'd be more likely to speak danish). I think most people if asked would say they didn't speak Danish ... we learn it in school, most can probably read simple texts ... could get by with basic phrases maybe, but no we don't really speak danish. When scandinavians get together they usually speak english ;-) When I was in school, Danish was the first foreign language, started in 5th grade .. english started later not sure when. Which was unfortunate for me since I move to the US in 6th grade ... so I didn't speak a word of english. Now they start english in 4th grade and danish in 7th ... so english has become the principal foreign language here ;-)

Crissy - I forgot to say earlier ... so sorry about the financial situation. I can definately relate. Also feel like crying most days. It won't last forever. At least you have a loving husband - you'll get through this together :-)

Bernie - sorry about the Vikings not making it. Your storm was a lot worse than ours ;-)

The icelandic handball team is competing in the European Handball Championship. They still haven't lost a game ... three draws and we beat Denmark on Saturday which was SWEET!!! lol There's no country we enjoy beating more than Denmark ;-) lol

Last night's storm blew out one of the panes in the greenhouse ... first time this winter.

Selma has a really bad sore throat. She's on penicillin since last night and we're waiting very anxiously for it to start working ... she's so miserable, poor baby.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 26, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #7496700

A real bummer here was the St. Paul winter carnival. It was over the weekend. 40 & rain don't work for ice sculptures. Pond hockey tournament was canceled due to 3 of water on the ice. Teams cam from all over the country & Canada & had to go home without playing.
Now today temperature is down to 11 & blizzard.
Roads in 8 counties around us are closed. You can be fined $1000.00 if you try to travel.
Wind should let up by morning.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #7496863

28* and feels like 14*. The wind has been blowing pretty hard all day too.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2010
3:31 AM

Post #7497233

Major bummer, Bernie. How disappointing for everyone. :-(

I don't think the termites will be a big deal, it's just the expense.

High of around 60F today and completely cloudy. I started pruning the rose bushes. That is supposed to be done by the middle of February. 100% chance of rain tomorrow.

picture from Saturday

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #7497238

As for the manzanita berries, they aren't mine to take. I think they're edible but I'm not sure. They're mostly seed anyways. The size is a little smaller than marbles. The bushes - I love them.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2010 7:33 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #7497385

Well Bernie, Joann and Pepper it has hit here too.
Not bad but tomorrow morning should be a bear of a commute.
We have about a 1/2" of snow/ice pellets on the deck.
Just got in from the HT and it's drizzling/sleeting now...
32 and 15 MPH winds so a 23 WC.

Kelli I had some of that jelly down in Sunland at a produce market.
Not real impressed w/ the flavor, but I guess if they were the only berries you could get...

Sorry to hear about that cancellation Bernie. What a shame!

I'll have to say I love Liver... and Pt.

We got everything moved off the west side of the room and mudded the drywall.
I hate having to work in sections!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7497568

I'm not that big on jelly of any kind.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7497906

Mornin'! We have a dusting of snow. It was coming down good about 7:00pm, but after 1/2 hour it let up & didn't amount to much.
We had a major catastrophy at work (to me anyway). Some time over the week end we had a power outage. When the juice came back on it tripped one of the breakers. We lost some of our oldest & largest fish. :( Not to mention it was rather stinky! What a mess to clean up. I'll miss that old Skat (brackish water & about 10 years old). I practically had him eating out of my hand.
Cloudy: 34F
Feels like: 27F
Barometer: 29.7 in
Dewpoint: 19
Humidity: 55%
Wind: 8 mph W
Sunset: 5:41 PM

I hate to run, but I'm out of time. I don't know what the roads are like.

Have a good day all!
Joey

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7497909

the shovel nose is no more. :(

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7498289

That's terrible Joey!

We lost a couple of tanks when we were in Dayton.
-17 winds and we went out.
The back door blew open and the air blew right on the tanks.
2 14" African Knifefish and 5 breeding pairs of Angelfish...

Ric

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7498527

Oh Joey I'm so sorry about the fish! That's horrible. :(

We had a lot of wind here yesterday, had the building creaking and doors moving.

We're doing another sleet/ice/snow dance here, supposed to do this Thursday night into Friday morning, but now they're saying it could start happening mid day Thursday.

Rann that's interesting about your English and Dutch history, here they obviously teach English from the time you learn to talk, but in school the offer Spanish, French, and German. I took Spanish since CA has a lot of Spanish speaking people, wouldn't you know the first year I had it the Spanish teacher was from Cuba (odd for CA) and couldn't speak hardly a lick of English so everyone had to just wing it. The second year I took it (it was required 2 years of foreign language to graduate high school) I got a real Spanish teacher, oh we all did horrible! I passed with a D-. Whew!!

Currently At 9:21AM

Sunny
40F
RealFeel
34F
Winds: WNW
at 10mph
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 21 F
Pressure: 30.19 in
Visibility: 10 Miles

Today
Sunny
High: 54F
RealFeel: 51F
Sunrise: 7:12 AM

Tonight
Mostly Cloudy
Low: 29F
RealFeel: 30F
Sunset: 5:33 PM

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7498707

Calmer today, had some rain this morning but now it's partly cloudy, 44F/5C feels like 33F/1C. Wind from SW at 14 mph / 23 km/h.

Crissy - well it's the same with icelandic here as english there ;-) lol Ofcourse my Danish (not Dutch!) studies were cut short when I moved to the US so I only learned it for a year and a half in high school. I don't know if any of you have heard Danish spoken, but it's about as impossible for us to master the pronounciacion as French ... we often joke that in order to be able to speak Danish you have to have a mouthful of potatoes and a few shots of liquor in your stomach ;-) Kids today learn english even before they start studying it in school because all videogames here are in english ;-)

Joey - Oh no! So sorry about the fish :-(

Ric - congrats on closing on the house! :-) I know that will come in handy now! So happy all your hard work payed off :-)

Have a good day!

Photo: view of my town, January 2007

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7499033

here's a weather update ... suddenly very windy and raining again ... (sigh)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7499149

Far behind again.

33.4 F and it's trying to snow.
Light Snow
Windchill: 33 F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
Clouds: Few 1700 ft
Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
Overcast 6500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Monty says, Spring needs to hurry up and get here.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 26, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7499537

Monty, I agree!LOL
Ric, congratulations for closing the house! Liver and pate, my favorites too!
Bernie, what a boomer!
Joey, how sad about your fish!
Rann, great view of your town. How is Selma? I hope she gets well soon.
Kelli, I love those bushes too!
Joanna, it's been colder here than in Canada, -13F which is -25C!!!!!!!!LOL

Another bad day here...I woke up this morning worried if the car would start, but I found out the water pipe has frozen and we had no water except the one we have for making coffee...ugh!
The car started, thank God, and we went to work, hoping the pipe will melt until we get back home...NOT!!! It was too cold outside 14F/-10C, even if it was sunny. I called the plumber and followed some of his instructions to see where the pipe might be frozen and it's not good...he has to come tonight to see what he can do because we're expecting another frozen night here. But he just called to say he won't be able to come today...arrgghhh! You wouldn't believe what I'm using for washing the dishes and for the toilets : pure snow, melted on the stove! I feel so miserable...what a life!
I have several buckets filled with snow and waiting for it to melt. I already melted some to give to the dogs and to wash my hands...I even used snow for washing my hands...arrrrggghhhh and brrrrrrrr!LOL
These are Buck and Rita prepairing to "welcome" the postman!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 26, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7499542

Gavrila barking at the postman whom you can see in the back, coming on his bike with the lights on.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 26, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7499545

Our movie star, Trica was with me like always.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 26, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7499550

I couldn't miss this sunset.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 26, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7499551

A closer look.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7499735

Beautiful sunset Adina! No water sounds really inconvenient! At least you had snow! Selma's still pretty miserable, thanks for asking ... I think the antibiotics are taking too long to start working, hope it's not a case of resistant germs ... taking her to the doctor again tomorrow if she hasn't started improving by then. I gave her ibuprofen so she's in less pain at least ...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7499910

Joey and Ric, I'm sorry to hear about the fish. People might wonder how a person can get attached to a fish, but you can.

Rann, I hope Selma gets to feeling better. Sore throats are about the worst thing. Why is it that Danish is such a popular language to teach in school there? My high school had French, German, and Spanish. I never in a million years thought I would have ended up in California, so I took French. There was no foreign language requirement in PA, but I took four years.

Adina, I hope you get that fixed soon. I know that if I got up and found that I couldn't take a shower and wash my hair, I'd be like an old bear. American kids would find that to be a great adventure, though, like pioneers on the prairie.

The termite guy came today. We have subterranian termites. The guys will come back tomorrow or Thursday and spray something into the ground around the perimeter of the house.

It sounds like the bad luck is working it's way through the "peeps". Marilynn and Marylyn, you might want to act for a while like you don't know the rest of us.

It hasn't started to rain yet, really, just a few drops about a half hour ago.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 26, 2010
56 F
Overcast
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 43 F

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 4:39 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7500011

I'm so sorry about the fish, too, Joey!!

Yayyy!!! for the house sale, Ric!! :-)

I'm sorry about your frozen pipes, Adina. Ugh.

I'm sorry about the festival being canceled, too, Bernie! How disappointing for all of those people!!

We recently watched Babette's Feast (I know.. it's old. We're slow! LOL), and were amazed at how many of the Danish words sounded just like English. I'm sure the rest of it would be very hard to learn, though! LOL

[quote="Kelli"]My high school had French, German, and Spanish. I never in a million years thought I would have ended up in California, so I took French.[/quote]

My high school only had French and Spanish. I took French when I was a freshman because the seniors in the French club got to go to Montreal! (I lived in northern Ohio then... Montreal was a lot closer than Mexico!) The Spanish club just had a taco party... Big deal. LOL We ended up moving about 2 months into 9th grade, but I stuck with French even though my new school didn't take any cool field trips. Now that I live in Texas instead of Ohio, Spanish would come in a lot more handy than French! French has been useful, though... There are often French phrases scattered about in British books and tv shows.

[quote="Kelli"]The termite guy came today. We have subterranian termites. The guys will come back tomorrow or Thursday and spray something into the ground around the perimeter of the house.

It sounds like the bad luck is working it's way through the "peeps". Marilynn and Marylyn, you might want so act for a while like you don't know the rest of us. [/quote]

I hope they can take care of the termites quickly, Kelli! Hopefully my head cold is all the bad luck we are going to have for a while. It will be nice to be able to breathe again soon... (sniff) ^_^

Our weekend company left this morning. He was a really nice guy... he was here to help a mutual friend move to Virginia. The girls are going to miss him - he laughed at all of their jokes. LOLOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CST (53 min ago)
Temperature 67 F 19 C
Dew Point 34 F 1 C
Humidity 29%
Pressure 30.20 in 1022.8 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH 11 kts
Wind Dir SE 140
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 39.9F / 4.4C

Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2010
11:43 PM

Post #7500162

Kelli - both Danish and English are mandatory here, you can't pick (or not pick) either one. Danish isn't popular at all, it's taught because Denmark ruled here for centuries until we gained independence in 1944 ... I guess learning a nordic language is thought to be useful since those are the countries "closest" to us culturally and Danish is the logical choice given that connection. Although it could also be argued that we should rather learn Norwegian since the first settlers here came from Norway so in that sence we're more related to them (Norwegian would be a lot easier to speak) ... when you get into our version of High school/college (age 16-20) you can pick the third foreign language ... German, French and Spanish are the main choices. It's Adina that's managing without water, I don't think frozen waterpipes will ever be a problem here. Are subterranian termites worse than the other kind?

Marylyn - Danes use A LOT of english words ... they're not very concerned about keeping their language free of english ... so those english sounding words were probably english ;-) lol Many languages use the english words for new technology, for instance telephone is the same or similar in most european languages ... we have people that come up with new icelandic words for those things so telephone in Icelandic is "smi" ... television is "sjnvarp" ... video is "myndband" (although "vde" is also used) ... CD is "geisladiskur" ... computer is tlva etc. But there are words that find their way in despite those efforts ... the internet was named "veraldarvefur" in icelandic but everyone says "internet". It's slightly worrying that most young icelandic musicians choose to sing in english ...There are only about 320.000 people that speak our language so if we don't guard it well, it will become extinct ;-)

Have a good night!
Rann
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
2:19 AM

Post #7500652

Cold and windy. The sun did shine all day though!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #7500846

I took one year of French and 3 of German in school,
speak a very little Greek from Family and actually more Yiddish from my neighbors...lol!
I'm not great in Spanish but can make myself understood... but that's Castilian Spanish.
I did OK down in FL with the Cubans... in CA not so good...lol!

Adina the one house we had froze pipes all the time.
We let the water run in the furthest tap at a slow trickle at night.
Hope you get thawed out fast!

Cold but we did have some sun today.
We should hit 40 tomorrow and full sun!

The big news here is the Ohio River will hit almost Flood Stage Saturday.
All that snow and rain east of us is now draining down the River.
Flood Stage in Cincinnati is 52.2' we are supposed to hit 51.5.
This means the roads due south of us along the river will flood out.
I'll pop down and get some shots.
It's pretty neat to see ducks swimming in the soccer fields.
One year we actually had a flood and a brutal Arctic blast.
The was 12" of ice on the fields w/ fish frozen into it!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7500919

Erinnern Sie sich Ihre Deutsch, Ric? I'm learning.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
4:22 AM

Post #7500959

Ja! Ich erinnere mich ein wenig meiner deutschen.

Man that was tough and doesn't feel right...
I hardly ever speak it these days and am sehr rusty! lol!
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7500970

Mein Bruder hilft mir zu erfahren.

I had to look "learn" up. A small cheat. It was either that or the sentence would have looked like...

Mein Bruder hilft mir zu...learn. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7501056

zu erlernen?
fahren is drive/go
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7501255

Good morning or should I say guten morgen! lol

My German is worse than my Danish so I'll leave you two to it Ric and Celia ;-) Did study it for 3 years in US high school and another 1 or 2 years after I got back ... it's all mostly forgotten. Did study Spanish for a year in middle school and even gave French a try for a few weeks ... the teacher thought I was a French whiz and started giving me all this extra credit work so I quit. lol I also know a bit of Swedish ... and that's the extent of my language skills ;-) lol Although the nordic languages are very similar, Swedish has quite a few words that are different from Danish and Norwegian. Here's one joke to illustrate that: ... a Swede was visiting Denmark and asked his Danish friend to show him the "roligste" place in Copenhagen. The Dane was a bit bewildered but then took him to the cemetary ... which bewildered the Swede even more. "Rolig" means quiet or serene in Danish (and Norwegian and it's the same root in icelandic too (rlegur)), it means fun in Swedish ... the Swede asked to see the most fun place, the Dane took him to the most quiet place he could think of.

Cool this morning and dry ... mostly cloudy, 37 / 3C feels like 31F / -1C, wind from NW at 9 mph / 14 km/h.

Another rerun - sunset Jan. 2007

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010

Post #7501340

Mornin' All! Well, I don't know German, but you all seem to know what your saying! LOL!
Thanks for all your concern. My boss is already talking about getting another Skat...:D We had 2 Puffers in the same tank as the Skat & they lived, so we have to get another one so they will have company. :)
Looks like we're gonna get somemore bad weather come Fri.
Cloudy: 30F
Feels like: 19F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 21
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 13 mph W
Sunrise: 7:30 AM
Sunset: 5:42 PM

Rann, What a Gorgeous sunrise! Love it!
I'm glad you all know different languages! Me? I took French (2 years) & the other option was Spanish.
Adina! I hope you get your pipes unthawed today. But it is fortunate for you that you had snow, otherwise you couldn't have washed anything!
Ric, will be waiting to see some of the flood pics. :) I got a few here (ok - 3), but the New River is up & crazy. And the Greenbrier is, too.
Kelli, I really was attached. Ornamental fish are pets...not like the trout that I'm used to. A lot of ours have been given names, especially the Koi. Truth be known, I talk to them just like I talk to Jack. I'm glad that your are doing well. I know they've loved all this rain you've had. :D

Have a good day!
Joey

(Ragin' Rich Creek)

Thumbnail by music2keep

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 27, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7501682

Brr! cold this morning -20C, which is -4F. Stepped outside and a big chunk of snow fell off the roof onto my head when I closed the door. Sorta a cartoonish experience.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7501901

We're at 28 here w/ a WC of 18...Brrrrr!

Joey your weather and runoff are directly responsible for the Flood to come down here.
So we will be sending you a bill...LOL!
Seriously the rain/snow water around here affects people down near Louisville as far as the Ohio River goes.
It's the mountain snow/rain runoff in PA and WV that have the biggest affect here.
That's why they can plan so far ahead in the Forecast.
For us it will be no big deal... in fact for most of Cincy it's merely an inconvenience.
There will have to be a few new routes taken to and from work.
Traffic will get busy around here as we are on one of those routes.
Now if the water gets REAL high... then it gets hairy.
Three MAJOR surface hwys close...
Homes are not affected to any great extent.
There are those living in the OR Flood Zone that have lived there for generations.
They get flooded out, about it and rebuild.

Ric

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7502056

Gonna have a big Arctic Blast blowing down here tonight to tomorrow...

It will be 50* in afternoon then at bedtime will be down to 23* with chance of sleet...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7502256

I asked Ric if he remembered his German and he said he remembered some. Then, I told him my brother was helping me.

Oh, stay warm, Rusty.

Ric, I have to check with my DB on that. I, very much, wish I had someone in the house to speak with. Es ist schwierig.

32.5 F with 36 for the high. 40% chance of snow.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 32 F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 29 F
Pressure: 30.13 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
Clouds: Few 1000 ft
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Monty, the Pilates Cat!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7502460

I have a lot of German ancestry, but it is distant ancestry. I don't know any German and neither does anyone in my family. The coolest name in my family was von Steinmetz, but it was anglicized to Staymates, which is o.k. in that it is uncommon. You can call me the Baroness von Steinmetz, if you want. ;-) Just kidding!

Rann, I liked the Swede/Dane story. For me a quiet place would be a fun place, but not always.

Joey, it looks like Rich Creek is awfully close to that garage. I talk to my fish, too. I use a baby talk tone of voice. Pretty goofy, I know.

Monty is a riot, as usual.

I don't think we got a measurable amount of rain yesterday, unless DH zero-ed the readout this morning. It's o.k. that we didn't get any rain. The ground is plenty soaked as it is.

Since we had a weak system move through yesterday, we have strong winds today.
I'd say that it feels colder than this, but some people just can't get the hang of wearing a coat when they go outside. ;-)

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on January 27, 2010
59 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 13 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 21 mph

This is supposed to be "Appleblossom", but it doesn't look like the picture on the box. Oh, well. C'est la vie.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7503037

I knew I should have checked in here yesterday--now I am waaaaaay behind. I'll just say that I agree with all of you--whatever iut is! LOL except for speaking German--don't understand a word of it but my DGD is taking German this year--who on earth knows why! It would have been far more practical for her to take Spanish since Spanish is fast becoming the 2nd language in the U.S. I, myself, had two years of Spanish in high school--back in the olden days--and I can still read it quite well and most of the time I can make out enough of what I read to know what it is saying. I can speak a little Spanish but certainly not enough to keep up with the Spanish-speaking folk who have come here from other countries. "Como esta usted?" "Muy bien, gracias, y usted?" "No muy bien." These were the first Spanish sentences I learned.
Kelli: I'm honored to know a Baroness! LOL So far, I have avoided the bad luck syndrome going around.
I hope everyone who hasn't been feeling well is feeling better soon, including Selma!
Joey: bummer about the fish!
Pretty sunset, Adina. Sorry about the frozen pipes. Hope they are thawed out by now. It is a good idea to leave one of your taps open a little bit so when the pipes do thaw, they won't burst. Is your house insulated? I would think so with the kind of winter weather that you have over there.

It seems that quite a few of you are already getting the colder weather that is forecast for us tomorrow and Friday. Northern AR is under a winter storm warning but central AR is just under a winter storm watch. Sure hope it doesn't make it all the way down here.

# Today: Partly cloudy. High 58F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Cloudy skies. Low 41F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #7503655

Cloudy this morning then the sun came out for the rest of the day. Decent temps and no wind. Accuweather won't load for me tonight so this is all you get. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #7504149

We've just gotten about a 1/2" of snow in the last few hours.
Don't know exactly when.
Wasn't there when I let the cat out... was 2 hours later when I let her in... lol!

River Stage is 46.0' now supposed to crest at 50.9'

Kelli I agree that it doesn't look like the box but it is a pretty one!

33 and it looks like we won't break freezing again till after the weekend.

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7504556

Mornin' All! Well, company (PetSmart) is coming today...I'll need to wear my best sweat shirt! LOL! :D
Cloudy: 36F
Feels like: 28F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 21
Humidity: 55%
Wind: 9 mph SW
Sunrise: 7:29 AM
Sunset: 5:43 PM
We had a wind advisory... STRONG WEST WINDS BEHIND A COLD FRONT TODAY... .A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS THIS MORNING. WEST WINDS BEHIND THE FRONT ARE EXPECTED TO GUST TO NEAR 50 MPH IN THE HIGH ELEVATIONS OF THE ALLEGHANY HIGHLANDS OF VIRGINIA.

Ric, LOL! You may have to wait a long time for payment! ;) How's the flooding? And how much snow do you have now? We're supposed to get about 6" out of what you are sending. ;)
Kelli, I have seen the creek get up under that building & move it! and it was up to the front door of the house! It was very close to the bldg. this time. Gorgeous Appleblossom!
Celia! LOL! at Monty! :D Pilates! :D
Adina, have you gotten your pipes fixed? Sure hope so!

Everyone I didn't mention...~~~waving~~~
Well, I need to get w/it...get gas!

Have a good day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7504786

Hi, guys! No good news about the pipes, they are still frozen...the plumber hasn't come yet and I don't know what to do because they are buried under ground and cement. Our house is insulated, but the pipes are coming out from the house a few inches above the ground and then they are going under the ground. We insulated them , but it seems it wasn't enough for this very low temps.
The weather is getting warmer, about 10F at night and 21F during the day, it's sunny, but still the temps are low and the pipes can't thaw.
Thanks everyone for the good advice and caring, it means so much to have such good friends!
Celia, thanks for the laugh, that picture of Monty and your comment is hysterical!ROTFLOL
I'm going back to melting more snow for the toilets. We bought a few gallons of water from the store for drinking and cooking, washing the dishes. I hope this winter ends up soon...ugh!
Adina

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7504846

Oh, dear, Adina!!! I hope this ends well and soon for you.

27.2 F with 34 fro the high
Partly Cloudy .
Windchill: 27 F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 24 F
Pressure: 30.24 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Four year olds don't care if it snowed at the beach.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7505053

buenos das! cmo estn?

That's about it unless I cheat LOL!!!

Adina that sucks about those pipes! That probably won't happen here either, I hope not anyway!

Ric I hope you're not flooding, I'm trying to catch up but have a guilty conscious because I need to start working here instead of playing LOL!!

47.1 F
Overcast
Windchill: 47 F
Humidity: 19%
Dew Point: 7 F
Wind: 2.2 mph
Wind Gust: 2.2 mph
Pressure: 29.57 in (Rising)
Clouds:
Overcast 3700 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Winter Storm Warning in effect from 6 PM this evening to 6 PM CST Friday...

Today
A chance of rain in the morning...then rain likely in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 40s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation 30 percent in the morning... increasing to 70 percent in the afternoon. Average rainfall 1/10 to 1/4 inch.

Tonight
Breezy...rain. Light freezing rain after midnight. Ice accumulations of up to one tenth of an inch. Lows in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening...becoming east 15 to 20 mph after midnight. The chance of precipitation 80 percent.

I'll catch ya'll later!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7505080

at 4 am the stage was 46.5 feet.
flood stage is 52 feet.
the river will continue rising to near 50.9 feet saturday morning then
begin falling.
at stages near 51 feet, water spills onto parts of kellogg avenue
from east of delta avenue upstream to near coney island.

I left out the other parts.
We are directly above Coney Island.
I won't affect us as far as damage we are WAY high.
But as the river rises the tributaries that feed into it start to back up.
That's where we get road closings around here.
Almost every valley has a creek... sometimes they back up for miles and spill out onto the roads.

We were over the River yesterday and it was no big deal YET.
By tomorrow it should be Picture Time.

Adina I hope that resolves quickly and you don't get any burst pipes.

Joey good luck today!
Just a skiff of snow here.

Ric

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010 10:39 AM
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7505110

Pretty pink sunrise... means a very nice day. should get to -1C, which is +30F
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7505232

Adina: so sorry about the pipes --hope that plumber gets there soon! I know it is really frustrating to have to deal with those frozen pipes.
Ric: I'm glad you are not in danger of flooding.
Celia: I would think Monty is far too relaxed to be doing pilates!! LOL
Joey: I hope you have that good sweatshirt on--LOL!!

Like a lot of you, we are due to have another blast of winter this afternoon. Northern Arkansas will get the brunt of it but we may have some ice and snow, too. :o((
# Today: Cloudy this morning with showers during the afternoon. High 44F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
# Tonight: A mix of rain and freezing rain...changing to all freezing rain overnight. Low around 30F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7505460

How about a new thread? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072392/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America