Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Peppers: Starting Aji Dulce?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 5, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7473692

I'm trying to start some Aji Dulce seeds I've had for a couple of years. The first time I grew them, they were slow to start, so I'm using the baggie and coffee filter method to sprout the seeds. I have the baggies on a heat mat, at about 80 degrees but so far there's no sign of growth. They have been going for about three weeks. I started some 'Sweet Pickles' seeds at the same time and about 75% of those seeds have sprouted.

How long should the Aji Dulce take to sprout? Should I just give up and order some fresh seed? I have 8-10 weeks before I should need to plant out. Thanks!

David
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2010
1:40 AM

Post #7474697

David...I planted 10 Aji Dulce #2 seeds about 2 weeks ago and the first seedling appeared today. I bought the seeds last year and only had about 50% germination. And they some critter got them before they had a chance to do anything.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7505166

I don't remember mine being especially slow, although they took a couple days longer than C. annuum types... pretty sure they were up by 2 weeks in seed trays, on an 80 degree heat mat.

I've got some extra seeds from 2008 that I could share with you both... but I do need to add that these seeds are from peppers that had some heat to them (still mild, not anything close to habanero heat, but not as sweet as I remember them being the first year), so despite my precautions in planting them in a different area of the garden, cross-pollination may have occurred. They still looked "right" and tasted delicious, but they had a little kick. LMK
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #7506059

Thanks for your generous offer Jill.

I have 5 seedlings going now so I'm good for this year!

Dan

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #7506717

Jill,

Thanks! I ordered some Aji Dulce from Seed Savers Exchange (starting them tonight) and I have some Numex Red & Orange on the way from Renne's Garden. FarmerDill recommended SSE and Beclu727 recommend Renee's Garden on a different thread. I appreciate the offer, though. Maybe I'll be successful this year and will be able to share seeds next year.

David
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7506730

Excellent! Good luck, and enjoy the peppers!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America