AuthorContent

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7473692

I'm trying to start some Aji Dulce seeds I've had for a couple of years. The first time I grew them, they were slow to start, so I'm using the baggie and coffee filter method to sprout the seeds. I have the baggies on a heat mat, at about 80 degrees but so far there's no sign of growth. They have been going for about three weeks. I started some 'Sweet Pickles' seeds at the same time and about 75% of those seeds have sprouted.

How long should the Aji Dulce take to sprout? Should I just give up and order some fresh seed? I have 8-10 weeks before I should need to plant out. Thanks!

David
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2010
1:40 AM

Post #7474697

David...I planted 10 Aji Dulce #2 seeds about 2 weeks ago and the first seedling appeared today. I bought the seeds last year and only had about 50% germination. And they some critter got them before they had a chance to do anything.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7505166

I don't remember mine being especially slow, although they took a couple days longer than C. annuum types... pretty sure they were up by 2 weeks in seed trays, on an 80 degree heat mat.

I've got some extra seeds from 2008 that I could share with you both... but I do need to add that these seeds are from peppers that had some heat to them (still mild, not anything close to habanero heat, but not as sweet as I remember them being the first year), so despite my precautions in planting them in a different area of the garden, cross-pollination may have occurred. They still looked "right" and tasted delicious, but they had a little kick. LMK
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #7506059

Thanks for your generous offer Jill.

I have 5 seedlings going now so I'm good for this year!

Dan

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #7506717

Jill,

Thanks! I ordered some Aji Dulce from Seed Savers Exchange (starting them tonight) and I have some Numex Red & Orange on the way from Renne's Garden. FarmerDill recommended SSE and Beclu727 recommend Renee's Garden on a different thread. I appreciate the offer, though. Maybe I'll be successful this year and will be able to share seeds next year.

David
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7506730

Excellent! Good luck, and enjoy the peppers!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America