Starting Aji Dulce?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm trying to start some Aji Dulce seeds I've had for a couple of years. The first time I grew them, they were slow to start, so I'm using the baggie and coffee filter method to sprout the seeds. I have the baggies on a heat mat, at about 80 degrees but so far there's no sign of growth. They have been going for about three weeks. I started some 'Sweet Pickles' seeds at the same time and about 75% of those seeds have sprouted.

How long should the Aji Dulce take to sprout? Should I just give up and order some fresh seed? I have 8-10 weeks before I should need to plant out. Thanks!

David

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

David....I planted 10 Aji Dulce #2 seeds about 2 weeks ago and the first seedling appeared today. I bought the seeds last year and only had about 50% germination. And they some critter got them before they had a chance to do anything.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't remember mine being especially slow, although they took a couple days longer than C. annuum types... pretty sure they were up by 2 weeks in seed trays, on an 80 degree heat mat.

I've got some extra seeds from 2008 that I could share with you both... but I do need to add that these seeds are from peppers that had some heat to them (still mild, not anything close to habanero heat, but not as sweet as I remember them being the first year), so despite my precautions in planting them in a different area of the garden, cross-pollination may have occurred. They still looked "right" and tasted delicious, but they had a little kick. LMK

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks for your generous offer Jill.

I have 5 seedlings going now so I'm good for this year!

Dan

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Jill,

Thanks! I ordered some Aji Dulce from Seed Savers Exchange (starting them tonight) and I have some Numex Red & Orange on the way from Renne's Garden. FarmerDill recommended SSE and Beclu727 recommend Renee's Garden on a different thread. I appreciate the offer, though. Maybe I'll be successful this year and will be able to share seeds next year.

David

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Excellent! Good luck, and enjoy the peppers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.