No refined carbs (sugar, wheat, flour etc) recipes or hints?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Hi, I had a lap band 14 months ago and have lost 150 lbs, problem is as the time has gone by I've fallen back into bad habits and the weight loss is at a stand still and even going up and down by 5 lbs. This isn't acceptable to me so the DH and I have decided to try the Food Addicts diet. This means no sugars, sweeteners (except saccharine) no flours or processed/refined carbs. This pretty much leaves us with meat, low fat dairy's such as milk, buttermilk, yogurt and cottage cheese, fruits & veggies and condiments that contain no wheat, flours or sugars. Needless to say I'm not thrilled and after the first day already showing signs of a major withdrawal from carbs and sugars.

Has anyone done a similar diet? Ideas on recipes or things we can eat? I've listed below what we are allowed to have portion wise and a brief list of foods.

DAILY PORTIONS

Breakfast
1 fruit
1 protein
1 dairy
1 grain

Lunch/Dinner
1 protein
1 raw vegetable
1 cooked vegetable
1 starch or grain

Before Bed
1 fruit
1 dairy

Daily
1 fat

Daily Options
Spice 1 tablespoon
Condiments 1 ounce
Sweeteners 6 servings
Broth 1 cup
Note: Exclude sweeteners which contain dextrose, maltodextrose or polydextrose. This includes all packets. Saccharine and liquid saccharine can be used with this food plan. Read the warning on the label.
WOMENíS PORTION SIZES
Protein 4 ounces, 2 eggs
Starch 1 cup
Vegetable 1 cup
Fruit 6 ounces
Dairy 1 cup
Cottage Cheese 1/2 cup
Oil 1 tablespoon

MENíS PORTION SIZES
Protein 6 ounces (beef & pork 5 oz.)
3 eggs
Starch 1 cup
Vegetable 1 cup
Fruit 6 ounces
Dairy 1 cup
Cottage Cheese 1/2 cup
Oil 2 tablespoons
Note: Men may need to increase portion sizes to avoid rapid weight loss. Maintain balance between carbohydrate and protein when increasing portions.
Safe Food Choices

Meat, poultry, fish and eggs.
Fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables.
Legumes and beans.
All whole grains except wheat: amaranth, hulless barley, brown rice brown basmati rice, kasha (NOT Kashi), millet, steel cut oats, oat bran, oat groats, quinoa, rye, ryeberries, teff.
Dairy products including low fat milk, plain yogurt, cottage cheese and buttermilk.
Olive and canola oil.
Spices, check label for sugars and starches.
Condiments such as mustard, horseradish, vinegar and salsa.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Congrats on the weighloss!

My advice is to learn to love fruits and veggies. I weaned myself off sugar and carbs and have no regrets.

One thing I like to make is a smoothie. I just toss a banana, some blueberries, strawberries and pineapples in the blender and puree. Loaded in anti-oxidants and vitamins, filling and delicious. Sometimes I add yogurt (low-carb). There's a post in this forum about Smoothie recipes.

I think there's another post in this forum about Clean Eating, which might help you. There are some recipes there too.

Somewhere here I've posted my turmeric chicken stir fry recipe. I love stir fries. They're so easy and you can vary them to suit your mood. They freeze well too.

Green tea is also shown to help with weightloss. And it's just healthy for you, helps your liver detox your body. Green tea comes in many flavors as well. And instead of sugar, use a natural sweetener - Stevia. Truvia is a brand name for it, but it's a little pricier than the non-branded Stevia, which is about $6 for 100 packets at Walmart. At my wmt, it's on the bottom shelf under all the vitamins. But you may find it next to the artificial sweeteners as well. Sams sells 200 packets of stevia for about $10.

My favorite green tea is Stash Chai Green Tea (in the green box. The red box - Spice Chai - is too spicy for me). The fruity flavored ones are also good. Celestial makes some nice ones, like Raspberry and Blueberry, which are yummy. I drink 2 or 3 cups of green tea daily.

Also, exercise is a must for permanent weightloss. Try to incorporate some weight training in your routine to build muscle, which burns calories.

The first week or two of detoxing your body from the sugars and carbs is the toughest. You may not want to quit cold turkey, but rather gradually weane yourself as you substitute healthier foods. Instead of a candy bar or ice cream, reach for an apple or melon. Instead of crackers, grab some nuts. Walnuts are a super food--high in Omega 3's, like fish, as well as protein for muscle building. I made a gradual change and continue to make changes. It's much easier to stick to them this way.

Another thing is, don't completely deny yourself. When you start thinking "I can never have...," you only want it more. Instead, allow yourself a couple of meals a week of anything you like. It will be a reward, a treat. Almost anything in moderation is all right, but we tend to overdo something we really like; that's where the problem comes in. I allow myself three meals a week of whatever I want--lasagna, cake, pizza, etc. The rest of the time, I stick to my "raw food" plan. I eat 5 or 6 meals a day, so three meals out of 35-42 a week is not going to sabotage me. In fact, it keeps me focused on my goal. The interesting thing is, when it's time for my "anything goes" meals, I'm finding my tastes have changed and I reach for healthier foods even then.

Hope this helps.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

while much of that advice is great, I would like to stress that I can't cheat on this...the purpose is to clean sugars and refined carbs our of my system in order to stop the binge eating. I am not allowed nuts, sweeteners (other than saccharine) no nuts and only a very limited amount of oil or fats (1 tablespoon daily) any sugars in my diet other than from fruit or veggies is said to trigger or feed the addiction to food.

RedAcidicSoil, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.lapband.us/diet-restrictions.html

http://nutrition.suite101.com/article.cfm/kick_the_sugar_habit_

http://www.pmri.org/

Ask your heath care providers, including your lapband surgeon's nurse, for a therapist. Your'e a self described addict. A psychologist with revelant training may be helpful.

Your weight loss and all the hard work you did to accomplish that is a beautiful thing. Gather all the tool out there and fight to finish or maintain.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Prunes are my sugar-fix. They are super sweet. You might look at the "raw food diet". Folks on it are super-thrilled with how well they do and how much better they feel.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Prunes would be way to high in sugar, but I do love them. Not willing to go the raw food route. I have family that are leaders and very well known within the raw circles so I know, in depth, pretty much all the pro's and con's. I enjoy food, so not only an addict but a connoisseur as well.

I'm happy with the food plan I have to follow so far, just would like ideas on how to stick with it and be able to have a variety.

Queen, I've been well schooled in the restrictions of lap band, many which don't apply to me since I have little to any restrictions with my band. This diet is pretty much aside from my surgery in as much as it can be. The lap band gave me a head start but other than that....Not really self described, I have been diagnosed as such and don't need therapy as I've had years of it. I understand my challenges and problems but food addiction is not only a psychological problem it's a physical one as well. Another problem is that most sugar "detox" diets allow the use of artificial sweeteners. I can't use them as they are a trigger. Nor does my plan allow to expand the use of fats, even good ones. As a diabetic I have had extensive counseling in nutrition so this isn't as daunting as it could be, but still any advice geared towards my specific plan is always helpful.

Madison, WI

I have started drinking oolong tea which does help to control appetite and
is described by Chinese medicine as one of the tea helping to loose weight.
I do not watch weight so much but am trying to limit my snaking habit and it
does help. I take my cup of tea with 5-6 raisins or a spoon of honey.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Enya I love oolong, one of the wonderful habits started when I married was hot tea. As a southerner I was use to drinking iced tea or hot spiced tea during the winter but never thought about drinking hot tea on a daily basis. My DH is from a culture that it's the norm so I slowly fell into the habit. I'm finding it difficult now since I am no longer allowed sweeteners other than saccharine (which leaves much to be desired). I miss my morning and nightly cup of tea and so far I just can't get use to it unsweetened.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Araness, can you not have Stevia or Agave Nectar (natural sweeteners)? I'm diabetic and must avoid sugar, but my endocrinologist forbid artificial sweeteners and recommended these instead. I drink lots of green tea with Stevia and haven't tried the nectar yet, but it's supposed to be similar to honey, but more healthy.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

no, natural sweeteners are just as bad for me as normal sugar because of how my body interprets them and reacts.

Madison, WI

That's so tough. I am staying away from refined sugar because of the joint pains.
So dried fruit is a no-no for you either? Bummer...
I am in awe of your determination. Keep it up.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

There is sugar in all fruit but is natural sugar. I think you need to contact your Dr. to help you find a nutritionist for you. That should have been provided for you to begin with.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Maybe I'm not being clear, I have had the medical counseling for this, nutritional as well as physical what I was asking for is if anyone had practical ideas or recipes.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

We've given ideas as best we can without having the medical counselling that you have. Apparently what works for us won't work for you. It seems you already know what you need to do.

You might check the other threads about various diets. People have posted recipes there that you could adapt for your special situation. And there's the Cooking and Recipes forums that might help you find some interesting recipes too.

Plano, TX

araness--i am trying to wean myself from sugar too but not quite as drastic as you --i think stir fry of healthy veggies in broth rather than oil and a small ammount of meat has been a nice meal for us--you can use lemon juice to flavor it
cinamon is said to taste sweet and yet no sugar so i sometimes add that to my tea for a sweeter flavor
brown rice with some veggies cooked right in with it is healthy and filling

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

thanks Linda...sounds good I have been trying to use cinnamon in my oatmeal and bran in the morning. Gives it a nice taste. LOL I have a chicken in the oven now that I've slathered with lemon juice and a bit of a Penzey spice (amazing how many premade spices have sugar or starch in them. I will make stock with the bones as the broth/stock I have found without sugar is all the organic free range type and very $$.

Really don't mean to be snippy but I do get frustrated when people suggest things I've already posted I can't have or have done. Maybe I wasn't articulating myself well, if so I apologize.

Since I'd rather have as little of this saccharine as possible I'll try the cinnamon. LOL I can just see me growing a second head or something from it.

Tonight we are having a baked lemon garlic chicken (cooked whole), roasted veggies (2 oz of parsnips, 2 oz red potato, 4 oz of sweet potato and 1 cup of brussel sprouts. I've sprayed them with olive oil pam and seasoned them with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. For my raw veggie I've quartered some small tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions and drizzled them with red wine vinegar and misted with my olive oil spritzer.

Stir fry is a little later in the week, I found wheat free soy sauce so between that, a bit of saccharine and some red pepper flakes I'm pretty sure we won't be able to tell the difference. Thought I'd do half tofu and half chicken or pork so I can ease the DH into the tofu, serve it over brown rice and make some egg drop soup for a starter and use egg beaters and we should have a nice meal.

As I said It's really amazing the things that have sugar in them or starch. Items that you wouldn't think would need them. I've found no ham I can have, so I might have to try and find someone that butchers hogs and purchase and have one processed that I can smoke myself. I'll purchase uncooked turkey wings and legs as well and smoke them so I can use them to season soups and veggies. I did find some uncured sugar free bacon but the shelf life of course is slim so I'm going to cook beans in the crock pot as well as crisp up most of it and then freeze it. Again to use as a finish for salads or in beans. I've found a recipe for ketchup so that will be great, can make as needed since we really don't eat lots of it (what do you put it on when you can't have hamburgers or hotdogs???) Also found some ground brown rice that hasn't been processed into flour to use to thicken up soups, gravy etc...that will be interesting..

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Double check the tofu to make sure that it wasn't made with wheat gluten as the binder. I am glad that you were able to find a soy sauce that wasn't made from wheat. I never could find one to give my Sister.

Plano, TX

you weren't being snippy--and you did articulate just fine
i didn't mention vinegar but i love the taste of vinegar for a seasoning too
the pepper flakes were a good idea and garlic sure adds a lot to foods and is healthy too--i think using lots of veggies with less meat is filling and yet low cal so that is mainly what i am doing

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds good... I was just reading an article about roasting assorted vegetables (garlic, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, onions) in olive oil and salt/pepper. The recipe suggested slow roasting to draw out their natural sugar flavor. Are the natural sugars found in root vegetables a problem?

They also suggested doing the same with Roma tomatoes cut in half lengthwise with the seeds and juice pushed out with thumb. The only difference was the suggestion to roast tomatoes using slower heat and longer than other vegetables. Then serve drizzled with balsamic vinegar. This all sounds really good and I just finished dinner. Unh!

Anyway, I used to be a huge catsup fan and now am hooked on horseradish for most meats. Freshly grated with vinegar is quite good if you don't mind spicy/hot.

Plano, TX

wow those roasted tomatos sound so good! roma tomatos are on sale for 59cents at kroger--i should get a bunch and roast them
is that all you do--grate the horse radish into vinegar?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070964/

here is a thread about roasting veggies.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Pod I do that during the summer to use up my extra tomatoes and then put them in the freezer, they make anything taste better, I can make s'ghetti sauce with just a lill garlic, roasted tomato and a bit of balsamic and spices.

I like horseradish but DH doesn't, So glad you mentioned the tofu, and no it uses something else but I think what it uses breaks down into a corn starch so I might just put that in the DH's and not mine until I can find one that is "clean"

The roasted veggies tonight were great, it's one of our fav ways to eat root veggies and went great with the chicken. I'm going to make a big pot of stock in the morning using the leftover bones and skin, let it sit overnight in the fridge then skim it to remove the fat. I'll have to check the butcher for beef bones to do the same.

I'm making stuffed cabbage rolls Tuesday, not something we eat (matter fact don't think my husband has ever) but thought it would be a nice change of pace and something that would be easy to portion out Since I have to have a very rigid amount of grain, meat and cooked veggie per meal I might have to supplement it with a 1/2 cup of a cooked vegetable that will go with the meal and a side salad. The menu for this week is a bit bland but still not bad.

Monday- 4 oz hamburger steak with 1 cup grilled mushroom & onions, 1 cup of brown rice and a radish and sprout salad..
Tuesday-Turkey & brown rice stuffed cabbage roles with tomato sauce and tossed salad
Wednesday- Turkey chili w/beans and sauteed veggies (I'll add cut up squash and zuke that I've sauteed in cumin and spices to the chili) and tomato/onion/cilantro salad
Thursday- 4 oz Grilled Mexican chicken with, 4 oz brown rice or another grain, grilled mixed veggies (like a fajita mix) and a black bean salad with cilantro
Friday-stir fry with brown rice and, egg drop soup

I've made my own turkey patty sausage to use for breakfast and I keep boiled eggs on hand. I alternate between grits, oatmeal and oat bran, also eat cottage cheese and fruit...I'm allowed either plain yogurt, milk or buttermilk (low fat) but I'm not a huge milk drinker. I've heard that a cookbook I've ordered has a smoothie type drink in it so maybe I can switch that out on some mornings.

Juneybug ~ thanks for the link to the roasting vegies thread. I could live on foods like that.

Linda ~ the Romas are roasted cut side up at 325į for 30 to 45 minutes. I'll be the only one eating them here. DH despises cooked tomatoes.
Now the horseradish I use on most meats, even fish. Peeled, processed and mixed with a white or rice wine vinegar and salt (and pepper) to taste. Don't ruin those tomatoes with it. LOL

Araness ~ do you grow your own herbs? If not, may I suggest it. Fresh seasonings will add so much more flavor to your foods. Homemade salsas should fit your criteria and help adding an interest to your meals. I've always felt when the foods allowed are narrow (by the standards we were used to) spices, herbs and seasonings will make a difference.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I do Pod, my lemon grass didn't make it during our cold snap but my rosemary & parsley are still chugging along. I'll plant dill, sage, chives, thyme and basil in a another month or so.

I truly wish I could get garlic to do well for me but I've never had luck with it.

If your lemon grass was in ground, it may come back from roots. Mine has for a few years now. I don't think our soil has frozen deeply enough to harm the root system yet. Oregano will do well thru winter in ground (or potted) and stay fresh also. I also put fennel in and it is still green although not as strongly scented right now. Lemon balm will come back from roots in ground or in the pot also.

If you try to start some from the store bought garlic, it may not be suited to our southern climate although you could pot it and trim the foliage for seasoning too. I was given an heirloom garlic that does well in the south. It is now putting on new growth. I will gladly send you a start of mine. If you would like, please dmail me with your address.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

no, we purchased garlic from...humm a place here in Texas and followed the directions but all of my stuff is in either pots or Earthboxes as the soil here is horrible.

I'll check the lemon grass but it was supper easy to root from a stalk I purchased at HEB and grew like nuts so no worries on that, but so glad you mentioned it cause I need to pick one up and start in now.

I've got stock on the stove right now...I roasted the beef bones and have to say I really don't enjoy the smell. *looks green* While I love the smell of roasting meat, bones...not so much so.

The chicken should yield about 36 cups and the beef about 20. I'll let them simmer till I go to bed, drain them and stick it in the fridge to skim, easier than having to do it every 20 min or so during cooking.

wonder if you can root thyme from clippings?

Plano, TX

how do you use your lemon grass? i've only had it in tai soups

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I have minced it up and used it on fish

On the lemon grass, using the white inner part near the base of the stalk minced in stir fry also.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

soups, marinades..but yes most are thai dishes

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

My favorite way to eat this is with steamed broccoli and Lundberg Jubilee brown rice mix. I have also used orange juice instead of apple. Hope you like it and it fits your eating plan. Good for you Araness!!

MM: Spicy Orange Ginger and Lemon Chicken Breast
---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Spicy Orange Ginger and Lemon Chicken Breast
Categories: Poultry, Low-fat
Yield: 2 servings

Olive oil spray
2 Boned and skinned chicken
Breast halves 7oz. each
1/8 ts Salt
1/4 ts Chili powder
1/4 ts Cumin powder
1/4 ts Dried thyme
1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
2 ts Potato starch, or arrowroot
1 Strip lemon peel, (1x2-inch)
1 Strip orange peel,
-(1x2-inch)
2 ts Minced ginger, fresh
2 sm Garlic cloves, peel and
-slice
1/4 c Apple juice, or cider
1/2 c Water, more optional

Prep time 5 minutes. Simmer 15 minutes

Mix dry spices together and sprinkle on chicken.

Remove rind pieces from orange and lemon with a
vegetable peeler and rough chop. Heat a saute or
skillet large enough to just hold the meat pieces.
Spray. Sear to lightly brown the chicken pieces, both
sides. Meanwhile combine the sauce ingredients in a
measuring cup. Pour into the hot pan and let the
liquid boil a bit to cook the thickener. Reduce the
heat to low, cover tightly and cook gently for 15
minutes. Serve with the cooking juices. Add water or
more apple juice if the sauce loses too much moisture.

(I use a micro plane for the lemon/orange peel)

Jacques Pepin's recipe revised and tested by bluekat76

Variation : use dark meat; a thigh with attached leg;
remove skin. Sear, add sauce, and simmer until done
about 35 to 40 mins total time: [30% cff] Each
serving: 225 cals, 7.6 g fat.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I became a fan of unsweetened tea due to laziness on my part. My tea was made and I went to get the sugar canister........drat, it was empty and I was just too lazy to get the big tupperware container out of the porch to refill the canister. It's been plain ole tea ever since. LOL

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Araness, I don't have much to add except I use a lot of lemon juice for seasoning. I also picked up some garlic chive plants for my DM - she loves garlic. It is a perennial here. I also picked up some different varieties of thyme including lemon thyme. They are great plants and great herbs. I started using a horseradish mustard instead of ketchup.

How are things going?

Chester Springs, PA

Hi, I'm new here. I avoid sugar as much as possible and have lots of recipes/ tips that might be helpful if you still need any...?

Not sure where to start... are there any kind of specific things you want? I'll just post a few ideas here and I can add more if they're any help.

Stir fry sauces - any combination of olive oil/ garlic olive oil/ sesame oil/ red wine vinegar/ rice vinegar/ soy sauce/ lime juice/ lemon juice/ orange or mandarin juice (all freshly squeezed) and some spices - I like ginger, garlic, star anise, fennel, cinnamon, the chinese 5-spice combo. This started as a recipe I got for a sesame lime dressing and now I just add a few shakes of any combination of those ingredients to the wok as I'm cooking. I just smell it and see what I feel like adding - great combinations, I don't think mine has tasted the same twice! Very flavourful with brown rice or rice noodles, or even just plain veggies. I also like to add fresh pineapple or sometimes oranges or mandarins to the stir fry.

Pasta sauces - I get a great wholewheat fresh pasta from wholefoods, it's a bit more expensive than regular pasta so don't have it all the time but it is the most delicious pasta ever and is just wholewheat flour and eggs on the ingredients list. For a tomato sauce I like to use onion, red onion, maybe some peppers, zucchini, broccoli - any veg really - diced, sauted in a pan with a bit of olive oil and garlic (usually fresh) then add a tin of tomatoes (or fresh) and some tomato paste to thicken. Add chicken or shrimp if you want. I also like to put some fresh basil and oregano leaves in, or dried italian herb mix if I don't have fresh.

Creamy Sauces (can make as creamy as you want, or use yoghurt instead) Chicken & mushrooms & onions & petite pois peas all sauteed in a pan in olive oil, I add dried tarragon until you can smell it. Add some water (maybe 1 cup) and let simmer in the water, it should become a thinnish sauce, add some fresh cream or natural yoghurt, don't let the cream/ yoghurt boil, just heat it. This is nice with pasta, or potatoes and/ or veg.

Chicken Lemon Artichoke - I use frozen artichokes, they are way easier. Cook chicken, onions, artichokes (and any other veg you like) in a pan with olive oil. Add some lemon juice to flavour. Can add cream or cheese to this too or some extra olive oil onto the pasta. Nice with black pepper added.

Savoury rice - this is a great "whatever's left in the fridge" recipe. Veg - onion, red onion, carrots (thinly sliced or grated), broccoli, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peas, garlic... whatever! Cook in the wok in olive oil, add chicken or meat, or even cold ham (I get a sugar free all-natural one at wholefoods, not sure if you have one near you?) or turkey. Boil the brown rice and one cooked add to the mix in the wok, add some soy sauce and any herbs/ spices you want. This freezes great too.

Burgers - ground beef (or I use turkey, don't eat red meat) with a beaten egg. Mould into burger shape and grill. This usually calls for a dried onion soup mix for spices but I think they are full of junk. Add some diced onion/ garlic powder/ whatever flavours you like.

Stuffed peppers or portabella mushrooms - saute diced onions, peppers, zucchini (again whatever you like really) in a pan with olive oil & fresh lemon juice. Half peppers/ cut out some flesh from mushrooms. Stir fresh spinach into cooked mixture, can add rice or crabmeat if you want. Stuff peppers (either whole or halved sideways) with mixture. Sprinkle some cheese on top (I like feta on this) and bake in oven for 20 mins or until ready.

Wholefoods also has a great bread that is basically wholegrain wheat & a couple of other ingredients - no sugar, no junk.

For snacks I really like Larabars, again I get mine at wholefoods but I know Publix has them in Georgia or you can order them online at www.vitacost.com and probably other places. They even have chocolate ones made with raw cacoa powder and raw cocoa - and they actually taste great. They are dairy-free, soy-free, gluten free, sugar free, mostly raw and some count as a portion of fruit. They are made with nuts, so hopefully you can eat nuts. Some have dried fruit in them, so might want to check the ingredients of each flavour. The coconut ones might be best, sugar-wise.

I also like clif kids twisted fruit ropes. I don't know if you'd be able to have these, they are basically fruit juice and fruit puree but if you were REALLY craving something sweet these would be a better option than most things - for me these are my candy!! And they also count as a portion of fruit.

I hope that's all helpful. I've been doing this for the last few years to try and beat an illness and it can be really daunting at first. But now I actually like all this stuff way better than anything else anyway and I think you just feel so much better too.

You're probably finding this already, but once you start reading labels and realise what actually goes into some food you don't even want to eat them!! They are showing the movie "Food Inc." on PBS this week I think, I have just bought the dvd although I've not watched it yet but it's highly recommended. I also recommend Michael Pollan's new book "Food Rules" which is $5 on Amazon. It's a very simple but effective collection of food rules - like "don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognise as food" and "don't eat food that doesn't go rotten" and "shop the perimeter of the grocery store" (it's where the fresh stuff is) and lots more.

Good luck and let me know if these were any help and you want any more.

G

Chester Springs, PA

I forgot to add - I really like the Faje (spelling?) greek yoghurt which comes in a full fat, 2% fat and fat free version. If it tastes odd at first add a little honey (if you can have that) and/ or fresh or frozen berries. This is great as breakfast, or as a dessert!

Also for your raw option on the pasta sauces a good way is to stir in uncooked baby spinach to the sauce after everything is ready. Personally I like spinach better this way anyway!

Chester Springs, PA

Sorry... another p.s.

I've just read back through the thread and I've not really posted proper recipes, I don't really cook with measurements, I just taste and sniff as I go!! I can probably give some approximations if you need them..... maybe!!

And another thought, if you are looking for something to drink without sugar and with a bit of flavour I recommend fruit teas or other herbal teas. I like most of these now, but if you use more than one tea bag and let it sit for a while (I usually drink them with the tea bag still in, except mint) they get a really strong fruity flavour. I like the Twinings brand best for fruit teas, hard to get over here (I'm from Scotland) but I've seen it in some places, and amazon has some.

That's my last post now!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images