Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Know of perennial climbing vines NOT toxic to dogs?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 14, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blackthumb71
Franklin, PA

January 19, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7475787

I was looking for any perennial climbing vines or plants to put around my dog fence. I've looked up clematis, ivy and a few others and they are poisonus. Last year I had annuals (Nasturtiums, moonflowers, etc.) but it's a large fence and that was a pain, and to go through it every year, I have neither the time or the patience. I'd appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7476071

Here is a link from the ASPCA. The second half of the list is everything that is NOT toxic to dogs. It seems Smilax, Episcia, Ciccus and Trachelospermum (confederate jasmine) are the vining plants.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/plant-list-dogs.html?print=t
blackthumb71
Franklin, PA

January 20, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7479834

Thanks, Moonhowl! I have been racking my brain, going nuts! I'll check on the Similax and confederate jasmine. Episca is only hardy to zone 10, and I'm in 5. Guess I should have said that too.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7480163

I figured as much, but thought you would like the whole list rather than just a few suggestions...grin. Here Confederate jasmine is very hardy and evergreen. It is used mainly as a ground cover, although it will climb. The nice thing is I have watched landscapers use an edger to whack it back from the edge and shear it down in height...sturdy stuff, grin.

Jean/Moon
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7482591

Thanks for the link to the list. I am glad that my dog stays out of the garden and is not interested in houseplants. I still make sure the indoor plants are out of reach and plants in her favorite outdoor spots are nontoxic. The only plant she has shown an interest to is soybean seedlings. I was warned that eating soybeans could cause excess gas. They use soy as a dog food ingredient, but the seed pods could be a problem (according to one book I checked)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
11:08 PM

Post #7483257

You are very welcome. Animals love soy beans...same it has such an "unpleasant" side effect...grin
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7483544

My dog, Tiffany, is a Westie. She has a sensitive tummy-she doesn't tolerate corn, pork, certain grains. I don't want her to get into something that makes her sick.

I have another packet of soybeans to try this spring. I will keep the seedlings out of reach. She gobbled up a pack of seeds sprouting last spring. Before that, she was completely disinterested in seedlings and plants. I don't mind sharing the harvest, in small doses. I would rather not have to call poison control, rush to the vet or shampoo the rug. (The bf stuck poison control stickers on the kitchen phone and inside the cabinets. Never thought I would be calling the number asking about soybeans. They said to watch for excessive swelling of the abdomen. Some dogs are sensitive to a chemical in soybean and pea pods. Tiff didn't mind having her tummy rubbed all afternoon.)

blackthumb71
Franklin, PA

January 25, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7494837

I checked on a Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia), I think it also goes by Woodbine or American Ivy. It looks like it isn't poisonous to any animals. The birds like the berries it develops. From what I've read, it's hardy through zone 3. It seems like a good thing, anyone know anything else about it?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7494858

It can be a bit invasive, so you will need to keep an eye on it, but it might be better behaved where the winters are colder.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7497681

Have you considered climbing roses? They would deter the neighbors dogs and cats as well.

I was surprised to read that morning glories and clematis were toxic to dogs. I am not going to dig mine out, especially since Tiffany rarely goes into the garden and hasn't bothered any plants except for the aforementioned soybeans, but I will be extra vigilante.
blackthumb71
Franklin, PA

February 3, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7525545

Thanks for the suggestions! Roses, though nice, have a scent that makes me ill (don't ask, childhood thing). My other half thinks I'm nuts. I don't like roses and don't like jewelry. I did look up the Maypop, or passionflower. It seems also to be a good thing, but I just am too afraid to take any chances with my babies! I wish I knew more. The ASPCA site really helped though, I appreciate it.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7527775

There are roses with out scent (I try to avoid those, love the scent), but best try something else if you don't like them. Why put up with the thorns and bother if they make you ill. I would love to be surrounded by roses.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7529577

GardenQuilts, check out the rose Zephrine Drouhin. She is an old Bourbon Climbing Rose and is THORNLESS...smells kinda like raspberries and is a pink with lavender undertones.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7546378

Zephrine Drouhin sounds fab, I read an article by critter on that rose. Thornless would be a plus. I have one old rose, Souvenier de la Malmaison that has a wonderful scent. I would like to try more old ones.
Rocketgardener
Soddy Daisy, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7548123

I think Carolina Jasmine and honeysuckle are non toxic.

I have Jasmine along our deck which the dogs leave alone now that they are established. When I first planted them our Jack Russel kept digging them up (she does that to all freshly trurned dirt) but she never got sick.

Our neighbor planted honeysuckle along thier chain link fence. As fearful as his wife is about the outdoors I doubt he would have planted anything that was even slightly toxic to kids or dogs.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America