Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Media request re glass "frogs"

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 7, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Go2Guy4Help
Melbourne, FL

January 19, 2010
10:41 PM

Post #7477128

In the way of introduction, I write a general-interest newspaper column for Florida Today, a Gannett newspaper serving the area around Kennedy Space Center.
I recently ran in the column a photo of two matching heavy glass objects submitted by a reader, who asked what they were.
Another reader responded that s/he thought the objects were "frogs" used in flower arranging.
Inasmuch as "frogs" have been widely discussed on this Web site, I asked Dave's Garden to make arrangements for me to show the glass objects and ask for comments. Mostly what I'm interested in is knowing whether they indeed are "frogs" or not.
In order to do that, all I need now is to figure out how to post the image.
Bear with me, would you?
Cheers!
Doug Lang
Help! Columnist
Florida Today (www.floridatoday.com)
Melbourne, Fla.

Thumbnail by Go2Guy4Help
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2010
11:20 PM

Post #7480333

They look like they could be frogs , kind of odd looking as most frogs have metal spikes with either a glass or metal base. Maybe the flower stem is supposed be jammed in that little hole? the one looks like it has mesh or netting on it...how big are the holes in the net? Maybe someone else will come along...and help...

Blossom?

Candee?

Terri?

Heeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooo anyone there?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7487533

Hard to tell from that particular photo - do you have any others from a different angle or perspective? Or closer up? On first impression, I am inclined to say that they are not frogs.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7488380

I am with soil, they do not look like a floral frog
# 1 very unusual to find square ones
#2 they do not appear deep/ tall enough
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7488808

I agree :)
Go2Guy4Help
Melbourne, FL

January 23, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7489221

Thank you all for trying to help.
I wish I had a better close-up photo to share with you, but this is the best available view of the glass "thingees" that measure a shade over one-and-a-half inches square.
When asked to elaborate on her description, my correspondent said the matching pieces were roughly 3/4-inches high and one side was "waffle texture." She described the flip side this way: "The side with the circle is like someone pushed a 1960s metal chair leg with no cap into the molten glass, leaving a roundish 5-8ths-inch domed impression."
Again, many thanks. I appreciate it..
Cheers!
Doug
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7489247

I have seen glass frogs. Usually they are round with holes in them to place the flowers. The glass ones are collectable.I wish I had one to show.

When I started my "Frogs in a Basket" thread I was praying to see some posted.. but alas and sigh!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7489258

Looking at your photos, they do not look like frogs to me.

The ones I have seen would have had holes that would fit flowers like tulips and daffs. The if I recall collect would have been maybe a half inch deep and would have had enough holes in them for a fieldbunch.

Whatever those are and whatever their purpose, they are unsual that is for sure. The one that looks like toast..hmmm I was trying to picture lily in the valley in it...the holes appear that size, but still the depth is not looking to accurate.

If I recall correctly the holes do go all the way through the glass too. The plants need a way to still get water so if they are not all the way through, the flower would have issues.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America