Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

BUCKET FORCINGS FOR 2010 - Who's in?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, we came from here!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/944548/#new

Its that time again to man our BIG buckets, get the snippers out and force nature to give us springtime EARLY!

Well, I got my bucket. Need to find my snippers......UGH!

Ok, I will at least fill the buckets and garbage cans with water! Until I can find my snips. Grrr! Winter can be such a pain when tools get stored and its time to get things going again!!

Last year, when we tried this venture. I did not put my containers in a dark closet. Which I should have done. It would have made more bloomers. Also for more bloomers I should have smashed the ends of the woody shrubs with a hammer, so ok, this year we want bloomers! Wheres the hammer?

Smash smash smash those ends for the bloomers and to the bucket in a dark closet they go Do not smashn the ends if you want roots and put those in a light area. You will get blooms on the ones you are trying to root, but they will noit be as good as the ones done the other way!

Last year I was forcing for trees! So they stayed in a light place.

So on your marks get set! GO!

Lets see who gets the first forced bloomer or rooter of spring! Tells us what your forcing!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, saps running on the forsythia, apples and probablky every other tree in my wneck of the woods.

I just cut forsythia and apples for forced bloomers. I will get more in a bucket tomorrow.

So, ok, where is everyone?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Need to snip some lilacs....maybe a mountain ash, hmmm what else?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, that was fast! My forced forsythias are bloomin as of three days ago!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im gonna have ta do more!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Jon click on the link at the top of this page.. it will show you more photos from where the link originally started!

And yes, you can do pussywillows too! Just about any blooming shrub or tree can be forced into bloom.

Run dont walk!

Watkinsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I am a new member. Would love to try this--but I need directions!
Thanks

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Pondhouse, go back to the beginning of this thread, click the link at the top of this page and there you will find all the instruction and more!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

all I have inside at the moment are pussywillows....need some forsythia

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ima bout ready to dump my bloomers on the forsythia.. they are fully open and shedding all over my living room! LOL!

Looks like the apple and the lilac willbe popping open soon.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Shurm and neighbor ran over my lilac with the Gator last year putting up new fence.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, hope ya cut it back, they probably dint kill it.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

If they did, I might beable to send you some .. got several kinds.. One comes from the roots easily, the other I will have to take cuttings...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

well, yup, I would say these forced forsythias are done!

The greens in the buket are the lilacs.. I cant say the apple has started yet.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No didn't kill it but it needs so serious pruning.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, their pretty industructable for the most part.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Looks like my lilac is going to come to a forced bloomer!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

another lilac

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

apple blossom coming

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.