Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: Potential Offer in Ellsworth Me - Hives needed

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 8, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hastur
Houston, TX

January 20, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7479918

Hello all. Hello all. *waves* I need to throw an idea out, and see if it's looney tunes or not, and hopefully, this is the right forum for it. It involves bees and beekeeping so I think this is a good place...

My father lives in Ellsworth Me. He has a small acreage with lots of stuff that blooms at various times of the year: Blackberries, wild strawberries, apples, plums, chokecherries, etc. The plot is about 6 acres, and is near forest and gardens and such.

Unfortunately, like many other places in the lands, the fruit is somewhat less than perfectly bountiful. He suspects that this is at least partially because there are no bees to be found anywhere on the land. (Yes that phrase before was the understatement of the century.). We were talking about it the other day and he commented that he would love to have a beehive out in the middle of the field or somewhere appropriate, to help fertilize everything. Of course, he's 90 years old so he would not be able to do a lot to care for it, but if someone wanted a place to keep some bees, then he would be happy to offer some space.

Now, I don't even know if this is something that should be offered, but every time I've thrown off the wall ideas out here on DG, someone either jumped in happily, or they explained why it was silly so that I understood the issues. So, therefore, I am asking again: Is this something that would be possible - the lending of land so that someone who wants to keep some bees could keep them in an area where they would be sure to get food?

If it helps at all, our land has been pretty organic for halfway into forever. Dad is getting more and more into the concept of living with the land and would do whatever he could to protect the hives - although I'm not sure how that would work.

Anyway, if this isn't too crazy, let me know, and I'll PM you or something so that I can get you in touch with my father. Or not. If it's crazed, please let me know why so I can learn.

Either way, thank you for letting me ask, and for any help you may offer.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7479977

You might want to post that in the Northeast Gardening forum, too. Maybe someone there either beekeeps, or knows a beekeeper... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_ne/all/
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

January 22, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7484791

That is a good idea it is done all the time by hobby beekeepers all the time. There are two thing you can do.
You can Contact the National Honey Board or the MSBA

The National Honey Board website http://www.honey.com
MSBA http://www.mainebeekeepers.org/index.shtml
Hastur
Houston, TX

January 22, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7485083

Thank you both. I am so very much out of my depth with this, so your help is triply appreciated!
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 26, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7497792

It is a wonderful Idea. We started with just one hive three years ago. Now I have three thriving hives and absolutly bountiful gardens. Bees are so easy to keep on a small scale and the honey we have gotten is unsurpassed! Go for it!
yourcousindoug
New Cumberland, PA

January 27, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7500816

Hastur,

It's been a while since I hopped on Davesgarden, but since then, I had gotten into Beekeeping. I would imagine that Beekeepers would be delighted that someone is asking about placement of bees. I live in the Harrisburg, PA area and run a small operation where I am always expanding. Don't be surprised that a beek would want to place a minimum of 5 hives if just to pay for the gas/upkeep/transportation to get there. Also, the beek would need to be able to drive to the location of the placement of the hives for beekeeping management functions.

I have posted a link to this thread onto a different forum (Beesource.com). Hopefully, you will get some bites from some Maine Beekeepers.

P.S. Another possibility to locate Maine Beekeepers is to place an ad on Craigslist.com.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 10:21 PM
Hastur
Houston, TX

January 28, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7504866

Well, I want to thank everyone that responded! I put in a query with the Maine Beekeepers Association and received information about someone that might want to do it, very shortly afterwards. Now to overcome my shyness and call them to let them know what I am asking.

From the sound of things, I wish I did not live in the city now. I would love to share land for hives if I had the land to share!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7528627

Hastur,
I have a small yard, but a large garden (does that make sense?) and I loan out a spot for a local beekeeper. The arrangement is great for me - pollination for my fruit trees, veg garden and blueberries - and great for the bees - they get the pollen and nectar. This one particular hive yielded some 40lbs. of honey and has grown so large it will most likely have to be split in the spring before the bees decide to swarm. You can do bees in a small lot as long as your town allows it and you have the patience.
The beekeeper himself does not have any land of his own to put the beehives on, so he has called local farmers and put an inquiry on craigslist to look for interested parties...
Does this help at all?
Deb
Hastur
Houston, TX

February 4, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7528669

Actually, yes it does. It's also giving me some ideas. Looks like it's time to get into research mode!

My neighborhood is great in that there are a LOT of fruit trees in the area, so if it's legal and all, this might be a great way to help out.

Thank you!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America