Ideas for flavoring yogurt

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

I've been making my own 'crock pot yogurt' for several months now and thought I'd pass on some flavoring ideas that have worked well for me.

My favorite is to add 1 package of Land O'Lakes Mocha flavored hot cocoa to 1 qt. of plain yogurt. The Chocolate Raspberry & Hazelnut flavors work well too.

Another thing I've been making is flavored sugars:

1 t. extract or flavor per 1 C white sugar
(I like to add food coloring too)

(Since yogurt is always a bit tart, lemon and orange flavors are particularly well suited!)

Then it's a simple matter to use flavored sugar, instead of plain sugar, in the recipe.

(If you're using plain store-bought yogurt, 1 teaspoon of any extract, per quart of yogurt, works well.)

You can always use the flavored sugars in other recipes too. If you're like me, and just love maple flavor--it's really simple to make maple flavored sugar cookies, etc.!

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I like to put my yogurt in the blender with some fruit, ice cream if I have it, a little milk or juice, you could add cinnamon or flavor extracts too.
I drink it through a straw like a shake.

You could also add chocolate syrup, nuts coconut, choc chips, crushed cookies, or pretzels or candy bars or whatever else on top of your yogurt. My kids would eat it when they were little if I put colored sprinkles on top or sliced bananas.

Vanilla yogurt is good on warm pie, brownies or mixed with whip cream or pudding and spread on cake.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I make little yogurt cups to take in my lunch for work using a teaspoonfull of jam or apple butter or whatever sweet fruity thing I have on hand. The little plastic 1/2 cup size containers are perfect for this and wash in the dishwasher with the lids clothes pinned to the rack (otherwise they fly around and die on the heating coils). A whole week of servings costs me about as much as two of those store bought yogurt sundaes.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi fellow yogurt maker! I have been doing my own for several years. I make a quart at a time using double-strength dry nonfat milk added to the saved culture from the previous batch. Sort of like sourdough starter (Anybody got any of that to share?).
My favorite add-ins are maple syrup and lime-flavored honey. My daughter brought me some of the latter as a souvenir of a Florida trip. I find I can approximate its taste with a couple of drops of lime essential oil added to regular honey. You could probable use other oils such as lemon or lime as well, but I have not tried to do that.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

With plain yogurt - either homemade or storebought - instead of flavoring the whole batch, I like to add splenda for sweetness, some dried fruit - usually cranberries, chopped walnuts, and a sprinkling of grape nuts cereal. The grape nuts and walnuts add a really interesting crunch.
Jo-Ann

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't want to impose my opinions on anyone else, but you really need to read up about splenda especially if you have been having headaches.
A tiny bit of honey or raw sugar doesn't have that many calories and is better for you.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Dutchlady1 I am with you! Even though I am diabetic (well-controlled since diagnosis in 2002) I do not like artificial sweeteners; I just feel uneasy about them. The only noncaloric one I ever use is a bit of stevia.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Dutchlady1, I guess it all depends on which danger I want. I have Crohn's disease along with the associated compromised immune system. Several GI doctors over the years have warned me against using honey due to the risk of botulism.

I have a difficult time finding a true raw sugar. The majority of what is commonly marketed as raw sugar is either processed just like white sugar, but stops short of removing all of the molasses or is actually white sugar that has had molasses added back into it.

Unless one uses rapadura, most marketed raw sugar is little better than white sugar. Luckily, with the greater influence of Latin America, rapadura is becoming more & more common. It's usually that dark brown, very hard cone shaped item sometimes found in the sugar section, but usually international foods section. I do use rapadura for cooking, but it's grainy texture does not suit me in yogurt.

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

Artificial sweeteners don't cross my lips, nor my family's! :) If I sweeten my homemade yogurt, I use stevia and that's it. I like to add some berries and nuts to it.

For those that eat honey...drain your yogurt until it's very thick (through cheesecloth or several sheets of paper towel). It will become quite thick like cream cheese. It's called lebnah (yogurt cheese). Take a few tablespoons, sprinkle with cinnamon, walnuts or pecans and drizzle with honey. Yummo.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Please note what I said:

"I don't want to impose my opinions on anyone else"

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm pretty sure people used to be able to give their opinion and let the hearer decide whether to take it to heart or let it go (hence the saying "if the shoe fits, wear it"). I, for one, think it is ridiculous, the lengths we go to in order to be sure we don't possibly offend everyone. It's impossible anyways!
Just when you think everything is fine, you run into some oddball (like me) who is offended by political correctness!!! ; )

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i use agave nectar for sweetening. my body cannot tolerate any kind of artificial sweetener and after all the latest new findings regarding them, apparently my brain can't either! LOL

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

mmmmm, agave nectar mmmm

Hey! Pretty much everybody here is a gardener, so where do we get stevia seeds/plants?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i just got a johnny's catalog yesterday. they sell stevia seeds. i think a lot of seed catalogs have it now.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I bought stevia plants [seedlings] in the spring several years ago, but did not take the plants in for winter. I have never grown them from seed. Would like to know how easy it would be to do so.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

if you read all the feedback listed here, it should answer most of your questions: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/316/

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link. Looks like quite a mixed bag of experiences!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that's gardening for you! lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images