Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Peppers: Buying Aji Dulce/Numex Suave Seeds?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 12, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7481834

I haven't been able to get myseveral year old seed to sprout, and I'd like to buy new seed for Aji Dulce and Numex Orange Suave. When I first planted a couple of years ago, I lost the plants due to spider mites. I figured out how to manage the mites last year on other peppers, but apparently the seed I have is not viable.

The only online vendor I've been able to find other than Reimer Seeds (horrible reports on Garden Watchdog) is the occasional EBay seller. I did find a few seed vendors in the UK with seeds in stock, but they don't ship to the US.

Can anyone recommend a seed vendor that has the mild habeneros? Thanks!

David
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7482712

Aji Dulce http://www.localharvest.org/spice-pepper-seeds-aji-dulce-organic-C3868?r=fr http://stores.lazyoxfarm.com/-strse-112/sweet-mild-hot-pepper/Detail.bok http://www.caribbeanseeds.com/ajidulceseeds.htm http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/prods/46601.html

Numex Suave. The Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University has all the Numex cultivars. http://aces.nmsu.edu/chilepepperinstitute/documents/2010catalog.pdf

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #7483900

I finally found a couple of places selling Aji Dulce online, including one of the one's suggested by Farmerdill, but no one with the Numex Suave. The Numex Chili Pepper Institute has it, of course, but they have a minimum order and don't take online orders. I guess I'll do without it for now. One type of mild habenero should be enough, either that or risk ordering from Reimer's anyway.

p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7491169

Did you check with Beth at Peppermania? even though she doesn't have it listed on the website, she might have some or she may know where you can find them. She's wonderful to work with.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2010
1:45 AM

Post #7493126

Renee's Garden Seed has the suave. Check her pepper section. She calls them Mild Habanero "suave"

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #7493334

Thanks for the tip on Renee's. I ordered the Suave mix and a couple other things that I still wanted to meet the minimum order. Now I'll be able to compare the Aji dulce and the Numex suave. If they do well, I should have seed to spare next year.

David

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7494658

I had suave seed from Flip but ran out last year. Got seed from Renee's. They did well. Both colors are in one pack, but the red ones have pink coloring on the seeds. They are good tasting and make a real nice vinegar. Kinda flowery in my opinion. I haven't grown the Aji dulce, but now I will put them on my list to try next year.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #7496166

I will be a couple of weeks late starting them for my area, but with the heat mat I should still be able to sprout them quickly enough. Thanks for the suggestions!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7512921

I have 40-50 extra seeds of the Aji Dulce from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Though it doesn't say, from the picture shown I would guess the cultivar is Aji Dulce #2. The original packet was .5 grams, and must have had a hundred seeds. I'm starting a bunch using a coffee filter, but can't possibly use all of them. I'll send 20 or so seeds to the first couple of people that send me a PM with a mailing address.

David R
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2010
2:57 AM

Post #7537172

David, please tell me how you managed the mites on your pepper plants.

Patti

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7537436

Patti,

I achieved some control with a spray program using Neem oil. It took about three sprayings, over time, but that finally seemed to knock the mites back.

David
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #7537581

I had them last year and they were a pain. I will get some Neem oil. Thanks!

Patti
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7538305

David-with our strange weather I don't think you will have any problems planting your peppers out late. They love the heat anyway.
It just doesn't seem possible that in 5-6 weeks we will be over the freezing weather, but I'm defiantly ready. We plant out here around Easter. I'm ready for some warm, sunny weather.
Lisa

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America