Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Walking in a Flowering Winter Wonderland: Winter gardening

Communities > Forums > Article: Walking in a Flowering Winter Wonderland
bookmark
Forum: Article: Walking in a Flowering Winter WonderlandReplies: 0, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladyfoz
Bellevue, KY
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7482836

Dear Dana,

You will love a fountaining shrub called Beautyberry. Latin Calycarpa japonica, variety "Murasakishikibu" In September it begins with small to inconspicuous lavendar blossoms along every bending stem, to the ground. As flowers fade, berries begin to form. They are a perfect magenta, totally arresting. The variety name is in honor of a Japanese woman, Murasaki Shikibu (last name, first name),novelist, who wrote "The Tale of Genji," in the 17th C. I think. The Japanese love this shrub so much they named it after this lovely, talented woman. I think of her when I look at the plant. OK now it's January. Except for one mockingbird who ate a lot of the berries a week ago, it stands intact until all the hollies, everything, is eaten, then the birds clear those stems! This is one of two shrubs I have which cause remark. The other one, a Vitex, is close to the road and actually stops traffic. Its blooms are gone by cold weather, however.

I like your thoughts very much.

Jo Anne Warren, Bellevue KY

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Walking in a Flowering Winter Wonderland Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Iceflowers only - here in Ontario! binibusybee 3 Jan 3, 2010 4:33 PM
WINTER FLOWERS hdown_y 4 Jan 17, 2011 11:06 AM
Weigela Wine and Roses AngelaRose1966 0 Jun 14, 2010 9:21 AM
Winter Gardens milet 0 Jan 14, 2013 5:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America