Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: starting angel wing (cane) begonias from seed

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 1, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jajviolet
Corpus Christi, TX

January 21, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #7482931

Does anyone have advice on how to grow angel wing begonias from seed? I received pelleted seeds from Pine Tree Garden and have started them in the new fangled "All Roots Seed Propagator" which I purchased from Gardens Alive. The seed which is very tiny is dropped into a whole in the "grow plug". Should they germinate in light or dark, because though the hole is deep for the little seed, it still gets some light?
boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7495655

I always had success with angel wings from seed. What I do is surface sow on top a super fine germination mix, firm but do not cover, place in a clear poly bag about 10" from grolux bulbs, and the heat mat is set to 80 degrees. I run the lights about 16 hours a day on a timer.

I do all of early annual seeds this way and some I cover and some I dont depending how much light is needed for germination.

The shorter time annuals like impatients and marigold I start in the greenhouse in early March.

Angel Wing Begonias, New Guinea Impatients, and Datura I start indoors to better control the requirements.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America