Photo by Melody

Article: The Petrified Forest National Park: Frozen Forever in Sparkling Stone.: wood

Communities > Forums > Article: The Petrified Forest National Park: Frozen Forever in Sparkling Stone.
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Petrified Forest National Park: Frozen Forever in Sparkling Stone.Replies: 12, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 22, 2010
12:45 AM

Post #7483733

Amazing critter. Thank you for the tour.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
12:49 AM

Post #7483753

I'm glad you liked it! I had fun going through all those sun-drenched photos -- just the thing to counter winter skies!

Thanks for posting.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 22, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7483921

The next time we're out there (I dont' know when that will be), we'll have to check out some of those shops. We went past them but didn't stop and by the time we were done in the park, we were too tired and hungry to care.

I did find a pottery shard near that bridge log thing. I left it there. Even if it was legal to take such things, I don't think it would want to be stuck in a dresser drawer in tame Canoga Park.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
2:30 AM

Post #7484174

Cool photo, Kelli! That's a structure we missed. Be sure to swing by Jim Grey's and pick up your "free pound" of petrified rock -- if for no other reason than because it's really fun to climb around on that big pile of pieces to pick from!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7484856

neat stuff!!.. I would enjoy that trip!.. thanks for sharing!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #7484871

Didn't it used to be Petrified Forest and Painted Desert? It has been nearly 20 years since I've been there. Thanks for the memories.
Potagere

January 22, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7485073

I don't know if it is still permitted, but about 35 years ago I went hiking and camping in the Petrified Forest with 2 friends and my 5-year-old son over Spring Break. Way out where no one probably ever goes, we found several pieces of pottery. All had been dropped and broken, and lay in puzzle-piece array on the ground. We also discovered pieces of equipment that had probably been left behind by some old prospector. No GPS in those days, but we had a pretty good idea where we were on the map, so we showed one of the Rangers and explained our finds. I wonder if they were ever followed up. Upon leaving the park, we each were given a small piece of petrified wood. No idea where mine is now, but the images of camping out, of days and nights, sunsets and sunrises in the midst of that magnificent fallen forest are still with me.

Thanks for the article, Critter!
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7485085

During our years in Arizona we used to send sets of petrified wood to children of relatives and friends. None ever became geologists, but they did say they liked the rocks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7485291

The Painted Desert National Park is right next to the Petrified Forest National Park, like a pair of conjoined twins. :-)

I'm pretty sure you can hike and camp in any national park. That would be an amazing experience! Even the short loop trail hikes that we took were special there.

Before we left, we'd been talking to one of our nieces about petrified wood, and she was fascinated... her birthday was coming up, so we picked up a nice little polished cross-cut section for her that had pretty colors and also really showed off the "grain" of the wood. She loved it. She probably won't become a geologist, but maybe a paleontologist... or maybe an astronaut... LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 22, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7485834

When I was a kid, my dad got a load of river rocks to put around the house. They were probably of local origin (SW PA). Once in a very great while, I would find one with a shell fossil. There was one odd-shaped piece that my dad said was petrified wood. To me, that was just about the height of exotic - not as good as a dinosaur bone, but up there.

I forget the exact number, but they said at the park that people are still taking a lot of rock every year, to the tune of tons, I think.

This is the Painted Desert section. It was a cloudy day in November, so it isn't very bright, but you get the idea.

Thumbnail by Kelli

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7485841

Yes, and they don't just take pebbles, either... people "rustle" huge boulders out of there! Shameful. Profitable, too, I have no doubt. Makes you understand why game preserve wardens are now armed with guns and the authority to use them in some countries.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7485904

It was a vague memory from when I was there so long ago. I thought they were the same but now know they are conjoined parks. It was just a prelude to the daddy of them all - Grand Canyon NP.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7486972

Great shot! We spent several days there, mostly hiking the rim trail. I've got an article title in mind... "Life on the Edge"... LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Petrified Forest National Park: Frozen Forever in Sparkling Stone. Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
petrified wood marti001 7 Jan 23, 2010 1:38 AM
Loved my Trip MitchF 1 Jan 23, 2010 1:36 AM
Petrified Forest national Park mcash70 1 Jan 23, 2010 1:34 AM
A rare subject Noturf 1 Jan 25, 2010 4:00 PM
Best time of the year to visit? WayneandSandy 1 Jan 25, 2010 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America