Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Hibiscus after the Freeze

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #7484806

Howdy. I've been in a new place now for about seven months and there's this really nice hibiscus that's at least several years old. At the base its diameter is about two inches. It stands about eight feet tall. The poor thing looks absolutely wretched right now. We had a weird week of below freezing (some nights down to 22-25f) and I'm wondering what I should do with it...pull off the leaves, go ahead and prune off the tips that look zapped, wait a few more weeks before doing anything...I know we get that hard freeze every ten years or so even in the deep south, but this isn't a plant I bought or planted, but I do want to do right by it.

Suggestions please.
Thanks.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7485286

It's generally best to not prune frost damaged things until spring--first of all you can't tell which parts are really dead until it puts out some new growth, and also whatever's there now (even if it's dead) can help protect what's left if you get some more cold weather. Speaking from experience, frost-damaged hibiscus can be a bit slow to get going in the spring with the new growth so make sure you don't give up on it too quickly. If it's that large, chances are it's been there for quite a few years and has experienced this type of cold before so it really should come back.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7485323

Leave it alone. That is the best advice I ever got when it comes to shrubs after a freeze. I am just a bit Northwest of you in Ascension parish. It is best to do nothing at this time, but wait until our nighttime temps are consistently warmer and the hibiscus has a chance to start sprouting out again. I made the mistake of pruning back everything after a freeze . What you have may be an Althea (hibiscus syriacus) They are very hardy and will re-leaf when it warms up again. The last link is a seasonal info list of tiny urls.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_garden/master_gardener/parish_lmg_programs/greater_new_orleans/hot_topics/cold+protection+tips.htm

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_garden/home_gardening/landscaping/cold+protection+in+the+landscape.htm

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/communications/news/get_it_growing/seasonal_archives/winter/
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #7487823

Thanks guys.

I read from a Florida extention that it won't even start to put out new growth until the night time lows get above 50f. It just looks terrible, but I'll wait a month or so before doing anything I guess.

Howl and Crane...yer both in similar zones...either of you have ginger that was zapped recently? I cut all that stuff down, counting on the rhizomes to have survived the freeze. I have two type of that...shell, and butterfly (ginger).

again, thanks for the advice.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 23, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7487838

I live in zone 7-A/B and has both the gingers , the butterfly is left outside and comes back however all my shells are in pots and are in the sun room. Shell are not as hardy as the butterfly.I agree with ecrane to leave it alone and then prune in spring as soon as you see growth. Good luck!! Belle

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7488028

Hey Dude. I have a few different gingers here. All but the 4 new ones I got late summer are planted in the ground. I just mulch well and whack them back if they zapped by the cold. They come back reliably every year thus far (9 years at this house).

One of the hardest things to do is to leave "dead-looking" stuff in the yard...but, because our winter weather is so variable, you can do a clean up cuz the weather is warm, and then get slammed with a freeze a couple weeks later. With a lot of plants, cutting them back triggers them to start growing again...that is usually when our temps drop unexpectedly below 32 degrees. I killed a few things in the past with my impatience to clean the garden...grin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America