Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Downy baby quilts

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Help --- I can't find the link and have four other quilters wanting to do this. Can you help????

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I know I already answered you on the other thread, but thought perhaps we could get some activity going on this thread.

It takes so little to make a 36" quilt and they are for such a good cause. And at that size, they are easy to quilt on a regular sewing machine.

And there are also the pillowcases that go to children: http://www.conkerrcancer.org/

If we can each make just 1 of each this year, we could really make a difference.

So how about it ladies.................. anyone with me on this?????

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

how do you want to do this, Jean? We make the whole thing, quilt it and send them together in one lot, or ? That would be a great 'scrap buster' project, I think I could make a couple..

I am.....Do we want to do this as a group? Or individally? I love the Downy site. I just ordered 6 kits for my friends. I'd also like to do the pillowcase. I just went on the site and the drop off site here in NH is at a shop I took you to (the second one). Small world.

Kizmo - Downy sends you the kit which includes fabrics for the top and back and a pattern. You provide the batting and do the quilting and add the binding. So you really don't use your fabric at all....

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, duh.... should have read through it better.... I just ordered a kit, however, they do suggest you can use your own stash and send back an extra one when the kit they provide is finished. I think that's do-able!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm new at quilting, but I'll join in if you all will answer questions when I have them. :-D

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

You will never have an unanswered question with this group, I can guarantee that!! Lots of talented ladies here, and always willing to help out! Welcome to the group!

Kathy (with a K) lol

You got it Cathy - that's what we do best - chat and teach and learn from each other. Just fire away and one of us will be happy to help.

Thanks, I think I'll start with a 9 patch, I've heard they are a good beginner piece. I did a log cabin "quilt in a weekend" about 25 years ago, it only took me several years to finish. I must have ripped that thing apart 4 times.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I ordered one of these kits a while back when it showed up on one of the other threads??? got it a few days ago! It looks like it is going to be great!!! Lots of frogs....and I have a quilt almost complete that I plan on sending back with the one from the kit....

then I will send for another kit....

welcome cathy4

A quilting we will go.

Can't wait to see all the great quilts we create.

It is a beautiful, sunny morning in MD!!! If only it were 30 degrees warmer. i am so ready to do some gardening. Since it is indeed winter, I'll be sewing all morning.

I got a bag of "left overs" from a friend yesterday and so many pieces are perfect for nice bright baby quilts.

Thunder, can you post a pic of the fabrics from the kit. And is it just a simple pattern? After I finish the batch of pillow cases (need to get the serger out) I plan to cut for some baby quilts.

Jean , it is my understanding that they have a variety of patterns....and what is sent is random.....as is the fabrics sent.

And they do ask that you also include a quilt made of your own fabrics, if you can, when you ship back..they also ask you to send back the pattern, and the bag they sent the fabrics in....recycle...quilt "green"

here is a scan of part of the pattern........very easy design..........I scanned it sorta crooked, but you can tell the design well enough(sorry).

will take photo of fabrics in a little bit, supper is about to hit the table.....

Thumbnail by barefootT
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Supper.... and you didn't invite us??????? Jean, what's this world coming to??????? LOL

well it is a new recipe hubby is trying, sounds kinda weird...but I will try almost anything once LOL....specially seeing as I don't have to cook it!!!!........sorta pie...sorta quiche ..?? crust is made with bisquick and beans!!

ham and broccoli, cheese and eggs filling????

trying to finish off the Christmas ham leftovers.....

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Does that mean if we come to your house for supper, we'll have a M A N making our food????? Hey, I'm in....... it can't be that bad...! LOL Congrats on having a hubby that can cook..... mine cooked for me before we got married.... now, he makes coffee on the weekends.... that's about it!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine still cooks!

I am very sorry to report.....it was quite delicious!!!!! and he does all of the cooking !!!
I do very very little..............but he is retired / dis-abled................and home all of the time, I am the one that goes to work.......so He cooks...........

here is photo of the fabric kit.....and directions (for those of you that wish to start one on your own)
15 - 6 1/2" squares
3 - 3 1/2 " strips fabric A
3 - 3 1/2 " strips fabric B
4 strips 1 1/2 " Inner border
4 strips 3 1/2 " Outer border

all strips cut width of fabric.....40 - 44 "

in this kit....A and B are the yellow, and the green splotched ,
frogs is the outer border.....

directions are to sew one strip A, to one strip B..press to dark.....make three sets

cut strip sets into 30 units, 3 1/2 x 6 1/2, sew these units into 15 four patch blocks, that will measure 6 1/2 square.

layout blocks as shown, alternating with 6 1/2 " focus blocks in a checkerboard pattern.
Make sure 4-patch blocks are all set in the same direction to create diagonal lines across the quilt.
five blocks X six rows, starting with a 4-patch in upper left corner.
sew blocks in each row together, pressing first row to left, then alternate directions of pressing in remaining rows.
sew rows together.
add side inner borders first, then add top and bottom inner borders.
add outer borders in same manner.

use only 1/8 - 1/4 low loft batting.
layer, and baste..
Must be Machine quilted, use plenty of quilting as these quilts will require lots of washings, be sure to quilt borders as well. bind as you normally would, although a zig zag stitch over the binding helps to keep I.V.'s from catching / tugging. Binding on front should be no more than 1/4 - 1/2 " wide. you may put together "pillow case style" if you desire. be sure to quilt enough. be extra careful to remove all pins

Kit also has a label for you to fill in, directions say to sign with permanent fabric marker, put label on back side sewing on all four sides..

Wash and dry completed quilt. check again for pins !
return with plastic bag and directions so we can create another kit.

Thumbnail by barefootT

My DH used to cook, then got lazy the past few years!!!! Now he has decided to work the 10AM -7PM shift so doesn't get home in time to cook. And on weekends he just can't be bothered. He's satisfied with chips if I'm not cooking.
He is contemplating "retiring" in Aug and I have told him that if he is home all day, he will be shopping & cooking. He probably won't retire!!!

I plan to cut up some of my juvenile fabrics today. No telling what I'll end up with!!!!

I just ordered some fabrics on line........and if they have all that I want I will be offering some to the first 6 "takers" willing to use the fabric, adding some of your own, to make a baby / child quilt, and send the quilt back to me........you can quilt it yourself, or send me top, back and batting, and I will quilt it..Then I will be donating them to my local sheriffs department, to be used for first response units, in homeless child / abused child calls..................

I had a conversation with a representative of the department, when I inquired about donating........and I was both shocked and appalled, at the numbers of these cases, and the NEED for quilts / blankets ................And I decided every time I make a quilt for my grand daughter, or one of my family.....I will also make a quilt for the sheriffs dept..

my goal is to give them at least one a month
they do not need to be complicated patterns, large block designs are fine.....four patch, nine patch, just big focus blocks...whatever....

I will also be doing a few of these downy quilts, because I know they are in Need
but because they are a larger organization......and do all this advertising .....they will get a large response.... the local little places....like the sheriffs department...need us too

I will start a new thread when I get the fabric, and join me if you will............or please look into doing a quilt or two, for your local police / sheriffs dept.
spread the love/ share your talents
Happy Stitchin'

What does the term "finish pillow case style" mean? The instructions were talking about the edge finish. Tks!

finish pillow case style.................... to do this you layer your quilt pieces ....

lay out your batting ..........lay on top of that your quilt top, with the right side up.
lay on top of that your quilt backing with the wrong side up..... pin as needed to keep all pieces together..... sew around the edges ( I do 1/4'' seam) leaving an opening so you can turn right sides out.....
turn right sides out, press lightly if needed....fold in edges at opening...hand stitch closed. quilt as desired.

I have used this method a few times for small baby quilts, like for bassinets, or a little quilt to throw on floor.....

when quilting I include stitching all around the edge about 1/8 th to 1/4'' inch in from the seam to reinforce the edges..(no binding with this method)

not a great picture, but hope this helps

Thumbnail by barefootT

Okay, that makes lots of sense, thanks!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

If you wanted to finish the edge, you could always insert a cotton eyelet lace, ruffled lace or fabric, or just a plain binding strip inside as you sew it together, then when you turn it right side out, you would have a more decorative edge, rather than just the seam.... like you would do pillows, bibs, etc.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

This is right up my alley, going to order my kit. Making this years T-shirt quilt, plus one for a graduating nephew. Also have a new great grand coming in June, making her 2 quilts so far. One very girly-girly and one pink John Deere...to tickle her mom who was never girly-girly.
The quilts for the injured service personnel sounds good to me too. I have a big bin of red white and blues, left over from making quilts for seven of my grandsons. I spent 10 years buying the fabrics all over the country and over bought just a wee bit. I made 7 quilts with the same pattern and same fabrics but each is different.

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I always have had good intentions to helping by sewing for charity, and never seem to get started. I have a bin of little kid fabrics I've been buying & going to make pillow cases and such. Its just the getting started part. Later this year I'll be an empy nester again and have more time to do these things....there I go again saying later...well, I just ordered two quilt kits from this project. That should help me get started right now...thats a commitment. I also think they are pretty smart offering a kit..it will be so much easier to get started with a kit, to know exactly what they want and how to do it. I also printed out some of the patterns they have. I think many more people will respond to a kit and then make the extras with more confidence. I personally am challenged with choosing matching/contrasting fabrics...I can do 2 and the 3rd fabric choice just makes me crazy, crazy enough to stop me in my tracks and not get started with projects! Its a real roadblock for me.

lilypad............in my opinion .when it comes to kids quilts....the brighter the better.....and they don't care any thing about matching colors, or corners....they are just happy to get them....

look at the kits, and kits offered at quilting shops for ideas.....then just GO FOR IT !!!!

Just scraps of lots of bright colors!!! some go together...some don't

I am a little prejudice.....butttttt I like the way it came out!!!

Thumbnail by barefootT
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

what color backing are you going to use for that one Thunder?

Barefoot, I LOVE that quilt, a child can spend lots of time looking for new patterns and colors. It reminds me of Grandma's button box.

purple !

Thumbnail by barefootT
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Barefoot when you finish piecing the quiltsfor kids one with the frogs that you gave cutting directions to, could you please post a picture? I can't seem to picture it in my mind and I',m such a visual nut.... Thanks, Barb

See...I would be having kittens with all those fabric colors to put together!...I guess I could just cut and sew and not really look until it was done and then I'd like it! ha. Its very fun and bright and purple on the back is going to look great...another hard issuse...the backing ! Is that the disapearing 9 patch pattern?

Oh pooh...I thought quilting would be fun and easy and not so stressful, ha..I think I just need to jump in with both feet and not think too much about it. This is the perfect project to really get my feet wet though. And you are right about helping with local charities in the community.

If anyone else seen the patterns/directions listed on that website, could you explain why it says to cut-out the strips the width of the fabric (45") and then to cut that in-half (20") to sew the strips together? would it not be easier to just sew all the strips together using the entire width of the fabrics to a 45" length? thanks!

thanks Kathy, making that one for one of my boys...most of the pieces are from scraps of other quilts I have made, a few I bought just for him ( like the multi-monkeys)...I asked him to tell me a color and it could not be black or red (his favorites), he said dark purple, so I found the backing, and I have a nifty wild squiggly print with a great purple in it that will be the border.

Barb, I have not started it yet...and won't for awhile...Just got to finish a few other things first!!!....but yes I will post some pics as I work on it...

Lilypad, yes disappearing 9 patch...yes just jump in without thinking....I have found that when I go with my "heart" ( or "gut" if you prefer ) I like the end results!!!
Whenever I buy fabric, one of the first cuts I make is a five inch wide by width of fabric strip. then I cut a 2 1/2" strip., or two.....then whatever I actually purchased the fabric for.....

when I get the "urge" I cut the five" strips into squares, piece the squares together into 9 patches, and eventually I have enough to do a disappearing 9 patch.

I use the 2 1/2" strips for log cabin pieces, sashings, and / or binding pieces...........always have some pieces hanging around ready for something....

That is a pretty neat idea about cutting and putting aside the fabrics. Especially potential border pieces. I can see that if you make a lot of quilts how that is quite useful for the future quilts. Working with left overs is a little more tricky, trying to find some fabric that will work and is going to be enough takes a lot of time, trial and error, and patience.

Well Tish, I always have at least 10 projects in the works. Every time I finish one I start another..or two..or three!!!

I like to do baby quilts, in bright colors,and scrappy, so the pieces always "work"

this is baby quilt made using up some strips, scraps, and those little triangles, left after making half-squares for a pattern.

nothing is sewn in this pic. just layed out so I could decide the placement of strips / colors.

Thumbnail by barefootT

and this one was also made with many of those strips, and pieces...only thing not from scraps, and strips is the green for the frogs ( there will be another big frog on the reverse side )

hmmmmm, I am on vacation next week...this may be a good one to finish!!!

Thumbnail by barefootT
Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Thunder... when you open your thread regarding the sheriff's department, please post a link here.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I ordered my quilt kit and talked a friend into doing one too!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.