Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Downy baby quilts

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 213, Views: 1,469
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7485040

Help --- I can't find the link and have four other quilters wanting to do this. Can you help????
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7486420

http://www.quiltsforkids.org/news/4/touch-of-comfort-partnership-with-downy/

I know I already answered you on the other thread, but thought perhaps we could get some activity going on this thread.

It takes so little to make a 36" quilt and they are for such a good cause. And at that size, they are easy to quilt on a regular sewing machine.

And there are also the pillowcases that go to children: http://www.conkerrcancer.org/

If we can each make just 1 of each this year, we could really make a difference.

So how about it ladies... anyone with me on this?????

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
12:10 AM

Post #7486697

how do you want to do this, Jean? We make the whole thing, quilt it and send them together in one lot, or ? That would be a great 'scrap buster' project, I think I could make a couple..

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
12:13 AM

Post #7486704

I am...Do we want to do this as a group? Or individally? I love the Downy site. I just ordered 6 kits for my friends. I'd also like to do the pillowcase. I just went on the site and the drop off site here in NH is at a shop I took you to (the second one). Small world.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
12:15 AM

Post #7486705

Kizmo - Downy sends you the kit which includes fabrics for the top and back and a pattern. You provide the batting and do the quilting and add the binding. So you really don't use your fabric at all...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7486743

Oh, duh... should have read through it better... I just ordered a kit, however, they do suggest you can use your own stash and send back an extra one when the kit they provide is finished. I think that's do-able!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #7486748

I'm new at quilting, but I'll join in if you all will answer questions when I have them. :-D

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7486760

You will never have an unanswered question with this group, I can guarantee that!! Lots of talented ladies here, and always willing to help out! Welcome to the group!

Kathy (with a K) lol

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7486762

You got it Cathy - that's what we do best - chat and teach and learn from each other. Just fire away and one of us will be happy to help.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
12:49 AM

Post #7486792

Thanks, I think I'll start with a 9 patch, I've heard they are a good beginner piece. I did a log cabin "quilt in a weekend" about 25 years ago, it only took me several years to finish. I must have ripped that thing apart 4 times.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
12:51 AM

Post #7486800

I ordered one of these kits a while back when it showed up on one of the other threads??? got it a few days ago! It looks like it is going to be great!!! Lots of frogs...and I have a quilt almost complete that I plan on sending back with the one from the kit...

then I will send for another kit...

welcome cathy4
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7487112

A quilting we will go.

Can't wait to see all the great quilts we create.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7487999

It is a beautiful, sunny morning in MD!!! If only it were 30 degrees warmer. i am so ready to do some gardening. Since it is indeed winter, I'll be sewing all morning.

I got a bag of "left overs" from a friend yesterday and so many pieces are perfect for nice bright baby quilts.

Thunder, can you post a pic of the fabrics from the kit. And is it just a simple pattern? After I finish the batch of pillow cases (need to get the serger out) I plan to cut for some baby quilts.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7489776

Jean , it is my understanding that they have a variety of patterns...and what is sent is random...as is the fabrics sent.

And they do ask that you also include a quilt made of your own fabrics, if you can, when you ship back..they also ask you to send back the pattern, and the bag they sent the fabrics in...recycle...quilt "green"

here is a scan of part of the pattern...very easy design...I scanned it sorta crooked, but you can tell the design well enough(sorry).

will take photo of fabrics in a little bit, supper is about to hit the table...

Thumbnail by barefootT
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
12:10 AM

Post #7489785

Supper... and you didn't invite us??????? Jean, what's this world coming to??????? LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
12:14 AM

Post #7489795

well it is a new recipe hubby is trying, sounds kinda weird...but I will try almost anything once LOL...specially seeing as I don't have to cook it!!!!...sorta pie...sorta quiche ..?? crust is made with bisquick and beans!!

ham and broccoli, cheese and eggs filling????

trying to finish off the Christmas ham leftovers...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
12:18 AM

Post #7489802

Does that mean if we come to your house for supper, we'll have a M A N making our food????? Hey, I'm in... it can't be that bad...! LOL Congrats on having a hubby that can cook... mine cooked for me before we got married... now, he makes coffee on the weekends... that's about it!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2010
12:51 AM

Post #7489874

Mine still cooks!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7490083

I am very sorry to report...it was quite delicious!!!!! and he does all of the cooking !!!
I do very very little...but he is retired / dis-abled...and home all of the time, I am the one that goes to work...so He cooks...

here is photo of the fabric kit...and directions (for those of you that wish to start one on your own)
15 - 6 1/2" squares
3 - 3 1/2 " strips fabric A
3 - 3 1/2 " strips fabric B
4 strips 1 1/2 " Inner border
4 strips 3 1/2 " Outer border

all strips cut width of fabric...40 - 44 "

in this kit...A and B are the yellow, and the green splotched ,
frogs is the outer border...

directions are to sew one strip A, to one strip B..press to dark...make three sets

cut strip sets into 30 units, 3 1/2 x 6 1/2, sew these units into 15 four patch blocks, that will measure 6 1/2 square.

layout blocks as shown, alternating with 6 1/2 " focus blocks in a checkerboard pattern.
Make sure 4-patch blocks are all set in the same direction to create diagonal lines across the quilt.
five blocks X six rows, starting with a 4-patch in upper left corner.
sew blocks in each row together, pressing first row to left, then alternate directions of pressing in remaining rows.
sew rows together.
add side inner borders first, then add top and bottom inner borders.
add outer borders in same manner.

use only 1/8 - 1/4 low loft batting.
layer, and baste..
Must be Machine quilted, use plenty of quilting as these quilts will require lots of washings, be sure to quilt borders as well. bind as you normally would, although a zig zag stitch over the binding helps to keep I.V.'s from catching / tugging. Binding on front should be no more than 1/4 - 1/2 " wide. you may put together "pillow case style" if you desire. be sure to quilt enough. be extra careful to remove all pins

Kit also has a label for you to fill in, directions say to sign with permanent fabric marker, put label on back side sewing on all four sides..

Wash and dry completed quilt. check again for pins !
return with plastic bag and directions so we can create another kit.

Thumbnail by barefootT

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7490995

My DH used to cook, then got lazy the past few years!!!! Now he has decided to work the 10AM -7PM shift so doesn't get home in time to cook. And on weekends he just can't be bothered. He's satisfied with chips if I'm not cooking.
He is contemplating "retiring" in Aug and I have told him that if he is home all day, he will be shopping & cooking. He probably won't retire!!!

I plan to cut up some of my juvenile fabrics today. No telling what I'll end up with!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7491065

I just ordered some fabrics on line...and if they have all that I want I will be offering some to the first 6 "takers" willing to use the fabric, adding some of your own, to make a baby / child quilt, and send the quilt back to me...you can quilt it yourself, or send me top, back and batting, and I will quilt it..Then I will be donating them to my local sheriffs department, to be used for first response units, in homeless child / abused child calls...

I had a conversation with a representative of the department, when I inquired about donating...and I was both shocked and appalled, at the numbers of these cases, and the NEED for quilts / blankets ...And I decided every time I make a quilt for my grand daughter, or one of my family...I will also make a quilt for the sheriffs dept..

my goal is to give them at least one a month
they do not need to be complicated patterns, large block designs are fine...four patch, nine patch, just big focus blocks...whatever...

I will also be doing a few of these downy quilts, because I know they are in Need
but because they are a larger organization...and do all this advertising ...they will get a large response... the local little places...like the sheriffs department...need us too

I will start a new thread when I get the fabric, and join me if you will...or please look into doing a quilt or two, for your local police / sheriffs dept.
spread the love/ share your talents
Happy Stitchin'
thunder
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7491279

What does the term "finish pillow case style" mean? The instructions were talking about the edge finish. Tks!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7491487

finish pillow case style... to do this you layer your quilt pieces ...

lay out your batting ...lay on top of that your quilt top, with the right side up.
lay on top of that your quilt backing with the wrong side up... pin as needed to keep all pieces together... sew around the edges ( I do 1/4'' seam) leaving an opening so you can turn right sides out...
turn right sides out, press lightly if needed...fold in edges at opening...hand stitch closed. quilt as desired.

I have used this method a few times for small baby quilts, like for bassinets, or a little quilt to throw on floor...

when quilting I include stitching all around the edge about 1/8 th to 1/4'' inch in from the seam to reinforce the edges..(no binding with this method)

not a great picture, but hope this helps

Thumbnail by barefootT

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7491958

Okay, that makes lots of sense, thanks!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7492225

If you wanted to finish the edge, you could always insert a cotton eyelet lace, ruffled lace or fabric, or just a plain binding strip inside as you sew it together, then when you turn it right side out, you would have a more decorative edge, rather than just the seam... like you would do pillows, bibs, etc.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

January 25, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7495114

This is right up my alley, going to order my kit. Making this years T-shirt quilt, plus one for a graduating nephew. Also have a new great grand coming in June, making her 2 quilts so far. One very girly-girly and one pink John Deere...to tickle her mom who was never girly-girly.
The quilts for the injured service personnel sounds good to me too. I have a big bin of red white and blues, left over from making quilts for seven of my grandsons. I spent 10 years buying the fabrics all over the country and over bought just a wee bit. I made 7 quilts with the same pattern and same fabrics but each is different.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2010
11:25 PM

Post #7496525

I always have had good intentions to helping by sewing for charity, and never seem to get started. I have a bin of little kid fabrics I've been buying & going to make pillow cases and such. Its just the getting started part. Later this year I'll be an empy nester again and have more time to do these things...there I go again saying later...well, I just ordered two quilt kits from this project. That should help me get started right now...thats a commitment. I also think they are pretty smart offering a kit..it will be so much easier to get started with a kit, to know exactly what they want and how to do it. I also printed out some of the patterns they have. I think many more people will respond to a kit and then make the extras with more confidence. I personally am challenged with choosing matching/contrasting fabrics...I can do 2 and the 3rd fabric choice just makes me crazy, crazy enough to stop me in my tracks and not get started with projects! Its a real roadblock for me.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #7496766

lilypad...in my opinion .when it comes to kids quilts...the brighter the better...and they don't care any thing about matching colors, or corners...they are just happy to get them...

look at the kits, and kits offered at quilting shops for ideas...then just GO FOR IT !!!!

Just scraps of lots of bright colors!!! some go together...some don't

I am a little prejudice...butttttt I like the way it came out!!!

Thumbnail by barefootT

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
1:03 AM

Post #7496793

what color backing are you going to use for that one Thunder?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7496941

Barefoot, I LOVE that quilt, a child can spend lots of time looking for new patterns and colors. It reminds me of Grandma's button box.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2010
2:30 AM

Post #7497046

purple !

Thumbnail by barefootT

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7497222

Gorgeous!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7498339

Barefoot when you finish piecing the quiltsfor kids one with the frogs that you gave cutting directions to, could you please post a picture? I can't seem to picture it in my mind and I',m such a visual nut... Thanks, Barb
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7498841

See...I would be having kittens with all those fabric colors to put together!...I guess I could just cut and sew and not really look until it was done and then I'd like it! ha. Its very fun and bright and purple on the back is going to look great...another hard issuse...the backing ! Is that the disapearing 9 patch pattern?

Oh pooh...I thought quilting would be fun and easy and not so stressful, ha..I think I just need to jump in with both feet and not think too much about it. This is the perfect project to really get my feet wet though. And you are right about helping with local charities in the community.

If anyone else seen the patterns/directions listed on that website, could you explain why it says to cut-out the strips the width of the fabric (45") and then to cut that in-half (20") to sew the strips together? would it not be easier to just sew all the strips together using the entire width of the fabrics to a 45" length? thanks!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
12:34 AM

Post #7500335

thanks Kathy, making that one for one of my boys...most of the pieces are from scraps of other quilts I have made, a few I bought just for him ( like the multi-monkeys)...I asked him to tell me a color and it could not be black or red (his favorites), he said dark purple, so I found the backing, and I have a nifty wild squiggly print with a great purple in it that will be the border.

Barb, I have not started it yet...and won't for awhile...Just got to finish a few other things first!!!...but yes I will post some pics as I work on it...

Lilypad, yes disappearing 9 patch...yes just jump in without thinking...I have found that when I go with my "heart" ( or "gut" if you prefer ) I like the end results!!!
Whenever I buy fabric, one of the first cuts I make is a five inch wide by width of fabric strip. then I cut a 2 1/2" strip., or two...then whatever I actually purchased the fabric for...

when I get the "urge" I cut the five" strips into squares, piece the squares together into 9 patches, and eventually I have enough to do a disappearing 9 patch.

I use the 2 1/2" strips for log cabin pieces, sashings, and / or binding pieces...always have some pieces hanging around ready for something...
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7501144

That is a pretty neat idea about cutting and putting aside the fabrics. Especially potential border pieces. I can see that if you make a lot of quilts how that is quite useful for the future quilts. Working with left overs is a little more tricky, trying to find some fabric that will work and is going to be enough takes a lot of time, trial and error, and patience.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7501383

Well Tish, I always have at least 10 projects in the works. Every time I finish one I start another..or two..or three!!!

I like to do baby quilts, in bright colors,and scrappy, so the pieces always "work"

this is baby quilt made using up some strips, scraps, and those little triangles, left after making half-squares for a pattern.

nothing is sewn in this pic. just layed out so I could decide the placement of strips / colors.

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7501392

and this one was also made with many of those strips, and pieces...only thing not from scraps, and strips is the green for the frogs ( there will be another big frog on the reverse side )

hmmmmm, I am on vacation next week...this may be a good one to finish!!!

Thumbnail by barefootT

shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7502176

Thunder... when you open your thread regarding the sheriff's department, please post a link here.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7502207

I ordered my quilt kit and talked a friend into doing one too!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7502386

I ordered six today too. Not all for me!!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7502841

got my kit today, really cute - dogs and dog bones!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7503029

Hey Barb, when are we going to start working on a "Not Your G-maw's" Log Cabin? My book came today.
And they called today to tell me my knee surgery is being moved up to Mon (it was to be Wed). OY!!!!! Just a simple "cleaning" out - I hope. Will be the 4th. Pre-op apt tomorrow AM.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7503483

Jean keep me posted about your knee. And GOOD LUCK with it.
I have looked through that book so many times it's not funny. There are two or three patterns that I really like. I did get one of her rulers (60* angle one) Now it's a matter of fabric and I can't do that until the middle of Feb. Which ones do you like???

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
1:29 AM

Post #7503665

Qwilter...check this out http://www.quiltersqtrs.com/longarm.asp
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
1:41 AM

Post #7503706

I NEED to find that frog pano!!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #7504053

thought you would like that one!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7505389

love the frog and I finally got the pie pattern and a recipe. I will make it without the coffee, not my beverage.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7505963

Wow, my kit arrived already. I wasn't expecting that the blocks and strips would be cut already, that will make it go a lot faster. Luckily it is a simple 4 patch since I'm a beginner. It feels like the fabric still has sizing in it, that it wasn't pre-shrunk, very stiff, but just beautiful colors with a garden fairy fabric as the main interest. I'll have to make sure my grandaughter doesn't see it!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7511590

Hi y'all, I got the fabric I ordered...so I am willing to send a 1/2 yard piece to any one ... FIRST SIX WHO ASK ...willing to make a baby or youth size quilt, and send back to me...you can do the whole quilt, or just make a top...and I will add a back side, batting and quilt it (if that will get you to help me)

These quilts will then be donated to my local sheriffs office, and they will be used for the "first response" units, on calls involving children,

see also Jan 24th post above

photo is fabric I have, coordinates are available at whittles (while supplies last) http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

thank you...

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7511635

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072721/

thread to let me know if you want fabric to do a quilt for my sheriffs dept...

thank you
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7511695

Thunder - you can send me a piece, PLEASE!!!! I have lots of bright fabrics that will go nicely with it.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #7514180

howdy strangers.

here is my Downy kit up to the first border. the next border is a multi color stripe. its gonna be way cute. at the quilt shop we attend, the owner has volunteered to quilt them on her longarm and supply the batting. i thought that was a nice gesture.

thats my baby sleeping next to it =). i threw it over the sofa beside him especially since we are supposed to wash these before we send them back.

Thumbnail by nanniepb

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #7514211

thunder! you made that pillowcase finish sound easy!! i have to try that on the next one.

i'd like to donate a pillowcase too.

Thumbnail by nanniepb

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7514326

Today I started piecing my little quilt and I have questions:

Should I do a reverse stitch at the start and finish of each block. I've been doing it out of habit.
One edge isn't perfectly even after putting the rows together, should I trim that edge before I put on the first border strip?

Thanks!

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7514623

If you use a short stitch there is no reason to reverse when making the blocks. I do reverse when putting the rows together.
Yes, you will need to even it up before you add borders. But you want to measure throught the middle, then out toward either end before you do. The middle measurement is usually the least distorted. Then you need to square the entire quilt up. If you do need to square, remember to take measurements from the center out to each edge.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7514645

looks great Nannie, those critters are adorable !!!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7514944

barefootT wrote:lilypad...in my opinion .when it comes to kids quilts...the brighter the better...and they don't care any thing about matching colors, or corners...they are just happy to get them...

look at the kits, and kits offered at quilting shops for ideas...then just GO FOR IT !!!!

Just scraps of lots of bright colors!!! some go together...some don't

I am a little prejudice...butttttt I like the way it came out!!!

Thunder, what is the name of the pattern you used for that quilt?
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7514946

oops. before you posted the purple fabric...
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7514956

between us, we ordered 5 of those Downy kids quilts and we all 4 got diff fabric. bright and cheerful seems to be the theme. except mine...but its still sweet.

it was 12 when i got up. we have between 8-10" of snow. my boots arent even that tall.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7515200

Nannie, if you are referring to the multi colored quilt...it is a disappearing 9 patch.

In that one I used some type of green in every center patch...Made a 9 patch with 5'' squares, green in center of each...you then cut your nine patch...once down the middle both horizontally and vertically, turn each of the four pieces..however you wish...for example...turn each piece one turn to the left... different turns make for different designs in finished blocks / quilts ...this was very scrappy so I just turned this way and that...

sew the four pieces back together...disappeared 9 patch !!!!

can be done with different size patches to start out, the bigger..the faster it goes together..
I love to do small stuff, but don't think I'd go any smaller than 4'' with this design...and sometimes it is fun to do big stuff to get it done quicker..!!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7515675

thats what I thought it was ! but it looked bigger than 5" squares to me.

I love doing that one too.

I like one called X's and O's for babies alot.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7519002

Thunder,
I'll take a piece if you still have any left! I'm trying to catch up here at home, since we've been gone..

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7519698

YIPPEE!!!! My baby quilts came today. The fabrics are so cute!!!!It will be fun to do..
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7519718

I'll be basting my layers together tomorrow, so I'm getting close to time to quilt. What length of stitch is used on the machine? Tks!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7519721

oh, which did you get?

ive seen red and black with dogs. ballerinas dancing. my cousin got a dark one for older kids.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7519729

i'm taking another break. my hip gets numb when I stand.

i just got my seeds back from Wintersown.org so I wanted to look up 'phaseolus vulgaris' potomac plant. some kind of bean?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7519740

Nannie, I think that is an old fashioned pole bean.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7519743

a green pole bean, lol. i thought i had something good!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7519749

i got 8 kinds of tomato seeds, italian parsley and then the beans.

((free, for the price of a SASE with two stamps)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
10:13 PM

Post #7519755

That can make a nice pot of soup!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7519765

YUM!!!! What time is dinner???
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
11:32 PM

Post #7520018

Ripping apart 2 edge seams. I tried to do the pillowcase finish, but I'm just not getting a flat quilt, so I'm going to take it apart, lay it out and baste it.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7521808

cathy - are you asking what stitch length to use tor quilting?
If you use free motion, you lower the feed dogs so you control the stitch length by how you move the fabric under the needle.
If you are using a walking foot, I'd suggest 10 - 12 stitches per inch. A longer stitch then you would use for piecing but not so long that it could get caught in somethng & pull loose.

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7521852

Thanks Q, I think I understand. :D
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7522679

I just sent for a kit.

I hope it is as easy as everyone is saying. Need to get a walking foot before I can machine quilt it though.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7522806

Mine is built into my machine (Pfaff) but I still need alot more practice.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7522901

Okay, what is a walking foot? If I'm just going to do straight lines to make x's do I need one?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7522903

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 2:21 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7523099

cathy- the walking foot allows all 3 layers to move together. Otherwise, as you sew, one of the layers will shift. If you sew w/out a walking foot, you should go down 1 row then reverse direction & go up the next row. At least that way, you will shift 1 direction and then the other.

Even using pins, you will get movement with a regular pressure foot.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7523286

Here's one from Clotilde, I have this one and it really does make a difference. I used to use my regular wide foot to do potholders, bibs, etc. and a small baby quilt, but like this much, much better! A very handy tip from the Dave's Ladies when I started here...

http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?criteria=walking foot&x=0&y=0
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
11:01 PM

Post #7523544

Thanks for the info. My machine is a 35 year old Kenmore, I looked at the Sears site and they have them, I'll just have to figure out the right one to buy.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7523749

mine is an old Coronado, bought in 1973 for a christmas present from my ex.. Coronado was sold at the Gambles Hardware stores in the Midwest, simple machine, a few decorative stitches, a 4 step buttonhole, and zigzag.. Has been used and abused since it was purchased, wedding dress, baby clothes, upholstery, etc... still going strong, but likes to hiccup once in awhile when I try to stretch it out between cleanings/oilings (just one more of these blocks, seams, units, etc.. LOL)
My new DIL inherited her aunts sewing machine, even more basic than mine, I couldn't even find a pressure adjustment on it, just tension. And only a straight stitch, can't even remember the name, it was an odd one to me..
Sometimes the old ones are just as good, depending on what you want to do with them (sort of like husbands and dogs...), love mine, will keep it even when/if I get a new fangled one! Mine is below, am still waiting for Gma's Singer treadle machine... :-)

Thumbnail by Kizmo

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

February 3, 2010
12:28 AM

Post #7523825

Oldies are goodies simply because they are built better. When I open my machine all I see is steel. Yes, it requires regular maintainance such as cleaning and oiling. I take it in every couple of years for a D&C by the pro. It has also been used and abused, but has never failed to do whatever I throw at it. from finest European laces to heaviest upholstery. Would I like a new fangled computer machine? Well maybe, but it's highly doubtful I'll ever have one. I simply cannot justify the cost when old reliable keeps tooling along.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7525121

I got my quilt kit last night. I am a REAL dog lover and ironically, it is all puppies and paw prints. Talk about something that is obviously meant to be!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7525129

The generic walking feet work pretty good. You just need to know what kind of shank you have - straight, slant, short, long. I believe Clotilde has a foot that comes with different adaptors to they can be used on differrnt machines.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7525293

Thanks so much. I found a chart on the internet that told me what would match up with my oldie. So I guess I'll put the little quilt aside until it comes.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2010
11:46 PM

Post #7527028

isn't the internet wonderful when you need somthing?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7529108

Sheila my pattern is puppies and paw prints too. I made the top this morning and hope to get the quilting done over the weekend. What a great, easy pattern. Now to find my materials and make another to go with it...

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7529126

I got my kit last Friday, put it together over the weekend, quilted it Tuesday night. Now to make one from my stash to send with it. That will be my project for this snowy weekend.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7529134

My cellphone doesn't take the best pictures, but a close up of the fabric.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7529185

That came out so cute!!! Some special little girl is going to just love it!!!!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
2:29 AM

Post #7530922

pretty.

i think i am going to meander my 4 patches and outline the solid block.

there ain't no wrong way, is there?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7531738

Just remember to have a LOT of quilting in it due to the heavy washings it will get. They also suggest a line of zig-zag around the bindings so that IV lines don't snag. I'll try to get a picture of the one I did up a little later. Off to an appointment this morning.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7531776

I have finished mine! Just need to do the second one to send. I didn't zig zag, but did an overcast stitch with covers the edges of the binding covered. Should do the same thing, but is a little more decorative.
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7535658

I would like to do this how do I go about it judy I sent for mine might need some help with this one Judy

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 2:27 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7535944

Excellent. When you get it, there will be lots of help. I havent got one yet, I need to perfect my quilting and binding.
I just got home, and towards that 'end', I have brought home what was left on the bolt of 16 different debbie mum fabrics. At 1/2 price, I figured they would make great pillowcases and the downy quilts and quilt backs. What made it a must, was there were the whole sets of fabric, so I can just get going and dont have to find matching stuff, except some solids to pop it. I never have such luck. I figure it was just meant to be.

I completly forgot the best news yet. We are getting a joanns superstore.That is so fantastic. We have no quilt shop here, nothing. Just the joanns that is touch and go, altho all the good ladies were working today. Some are actually pretty funny. Im sure im the last to know.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 7:37 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7535953

What a great find...
Wish I could go out somewhere... maybe by Tues we will be shoveled out.
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7536843

How lucky you are all we have in our small town is a walmart and as I have trouble getting around it is my only way of getting anything but at least they still have a fabric dept.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7537120

sissy, our walmart is closing their fabric department, I've been looking for places on-line to buy with no real success. Lots of cottons, but I mostly make clothing for my grandchildren with cottons with a bit of poly so they don't have to be ironed. Any suggestions? My next closest store is about a half hour away.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7537162

go on line http://www.fabrics.com you'll like it. No shipping no tx. ooodles of selections...
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
3:14 AM

Post #7537210

Thank you Helene! I've already found 2 of the fabrics I need to finish her wardrobe. You are the best.

ps: Oh am I in trouble, they take Paypal and I don't have to enter a charge card.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 9:54 PM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7538007

cathy4, check out the sewing links thread...lots of folks here have "listed" their favorite place to shop...

sissy you should check it out too.

I am lucky enough to have a few places I can shop for fabrics, but I do most of my shopping on line...fabric.com, whittles, connecting threads, Z & S, and martha's quilting corner, are the one I frequent the most... and I have found some great things on E-bay...

there are a lot more sites listed in the links thread...you could spend days shopping...!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7538160

Here are the fabrics I got from Whittles with the piece from Thunder...
Think baby quilts!!!!

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7538880

Wow - great fabrics and they all seem to blend together so well. You DO have any eye Jean.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7538892

Here is the Downey quilt I pieced. Just have to quilt and bind...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7538935

i like fatquartershop.com too, but I'm cheap...i watch the 50% off stuff. our closest quilt shops are an hour away. in three different directions...at least 50 miles or more.

Most of our snow got rained away and even though it was supposed to snow, we decided to try to go to our Block of the Month class anyways. that shop has a lot of half off stuff too. i only picked up enough fabric to make pillowcases for my bed...Im tired of using pillow shams. Plus i am determined to finish some UFOs, so i'm trying not to pick up for fabric UNLESS its a new project to work on now.

i dont sew much on sundays. do ya'll?

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7538946

Barb, that is the same one that my friend got. I dropped it off at the quilt shop for her yesterday because our teacher has volunteered to quilt them on her long arm.
I'm going to quilt mine, myself.

hey...thanks for the link to fabric.com =)

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7539131

on Fabric .com check out their daily specials in the right hand top corner, I have gotten fabric as low as $2.00 a yard., however not every day is quilt fabric...
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7539245

never mind

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 8:22 PM
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #7539394

they made a chapter in Knoxville so now our quilts will stay in our area hopefully.

I was supposed to email that lady and find out times, etc., Better do that now.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #7540511

Well I did two baby quilt tops today, and a little bit of this and that...will take photo's in the AM..see ya then...

sweet dreams y'alll
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7541366

helene went to fabrics.com and got some fabric to finish another project i have they have a nice choice and not expensive THANK YOU Judy

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7541812

here are my tops, this one is from the kit

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7541816

this is one I did with same pattern, my fabrics...big thanks to garden glory on this one!!! she highly influenced the color scheme...

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7541819

a closer view

Thumbnail by barefootT

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

February 8, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7541827

Loving those frogs.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7541922

Great job Thunder - those are super!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7541965

beautiful, just beautiful. Did you qilt them with the frog quilting pattern?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7542118

Judy, tosday is a special for quilting fabrics. a bit wild.
i want to say - be sure to check out your coupons, here and there, if you shop with them. Go to you account and click on coupons.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7542977

No I do not have the frog quilting pattern, that was something I saw cruising the net... ( knew jean would like it) and I am no where near good enough to even think of trying a pattern like that.

I do stitch in the ditch quite well, and I am not too bad with echo quilting, I even do a pretty good cross hatch, but I I am still trying to do simple stipples!!

they are not quilted yet, just got the tops done at this point, planned on quilting today ...butttttt DH decided it was nice enough for a motorcycle ride...so off we went

was actually quite nice, dressed for it, and we went out to eat!! have not done that in for ever!! used gift card from kids for Christmas...so even tho I did not get quilting done it was a very good day!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #7543215

motorcycle and good eats/or eating out what can be more important. So for the quilting machines you get the software for this kind of quilting? meaning the frog pattern?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #7544098

NO, that frog pattern would not be "standard" with quilting software. Quilting software is much like embroidery software. You can scan patterns in and make any overall pattern you like. Someday, I'll be able to afford that module.

I believe that frog pattern was a pantogram. That is a long roll (120") that you lay at the back of the machine. You ten stand at the rear of the machine to quilt & follow the pantogram with a laser light. So, you watch the light on the pattern not the design going onto the quilt.

I don't have a frog pano but do have a cat one, and snowflakes, and a couple others.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7544572

Thanks, hope you are feeling better. Cold here, but then we don't have to deal with snow any more. I am sorry you had so much. We had this one time. Had a Apt house in the village and paid mega to have the snow removed with backhoe.
WOW that is soo interesting. I just love all that is to be learned in this needle art industry.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7559018

Could you all give me some hints on batting for these. I want to take my 50% off a regular price item to joanns and get a bolt or however it comes...but a big amount. I have so many tops but this will be my first 'real' quilting experience. My daughter wanted to learn, so we did the disappearing nine patch. I want to quilt by stitch in the ditch, but even at that, I need to learn when to go straight and when to turn and outline certian things. All that and more...cluelesss.

thanks
pam
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7559051

I only use the Warm & Natural or Warm & White.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7559197

That's all I use too. Printed my coupon out too!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7559199

Jean, how many yards are on the bolt when you buy the whole thing? I noticed you had it by the box in your quilt room...
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7559654

How much is warm and natural on the bold? I usually just buy it in the package, but like everyone else, I have that 50% off coupon from Joann's.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7559665

Hobby Lobby has a 40 or 50% off coupon right now, too. Michael's and JoAnn's honor them in-store. I found batting for a very good price at Hancock's Fabrics on-line, half of what it was in their store.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7560088

Warm & Natural, or Warm & White, comes in different sizes, and the different sizes have different yards per bolt . I usually get the one that is 90'' and it is 40 yards. if you sign up for Joannes.com newsletter, they have specials from time to time, and with a code the price is less than half the price in the store...

also if the store is running a special, and they do not have the bolt you want, you can special order it...and still get the sale price...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7560283

What Thunder said...
I usually order it on-line. Orders over $50 usually have free shipping; you can use the store coupon; and it is usually a bit less expensive on-line.

The other trick, if the store doesn't have a full bolt, is to order 1 at the store. The coupon will be applied.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7560397

Thanks for the info. Not sure which way I'll go just yet.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7561846

Question about binding: I will begin quilting my piece today or tomorrow, I have it all sandwiched and basted. There is enough of the backing fabric to do a fold-over binding, or I can make binding. Do you cut on the bias when making binding for these quilts or just do strips? Which way should I finish this quilt? Thanks!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7561888

I just do strips. I only make bias binding when I'm doing curves.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7562113

somewhere on this Forum we had a discussion on bindings, but can't remember where. The hangings and quilt that I've done, I cut the binding strips widthwise at 2 1/4", then folded in half lengthwise, pressed and stitched to the quilt frontside, then trimmed the seam evenly where necessary, folded to the back of the quilt and handstitched. I've not tried to finish by machine as I wasn't sure I could keep it straight and on the seam.
I've also not tried to do bias yet, so the rest of the ladies here can give better instructions and maybe different ways to do your bindings that will work better. Good Luck!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2010
1:22 AM

Post #7562590

When I know I will be sewing the binding down by machine, I stitch it on the back 1st, then fold it around to the front. Then I can keep that line of stitching right at the edge of the binding.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #7562598

I'll try that on my next baby quilt...thanks!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7566735

Question: I'm getting some small puckers on my quilt where stitching crosses. I stitched down the center long ways, then working from that line I stitched from the center to the edge in the opposite direction. All was good at that point. Now I'm stitching long ways again, from the center line out, this is where I'm getting some little puckers. I do have the new foot on my machine as recommended.

Any Suggestions?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
11:08 PM

Post #7567671

You may need to adjust the foot tension or use a longer stitch.
Did you baste the quilt 1st?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7567683

Yes, I did baste. I'll try those suggestions, thanks.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7589654

Quilting on my machine is harder than I thought it would be, I'm not happy with the puckers on the front of the quilt, while the back looks perfect.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7589668

cathy, do you have a walking foot, maybe adjusting your tension will help?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7589705

taters, thanks for the answer. I bought and switched to the walking foot before I started quilting, loosened the tension, made the stitches longer as suggested earlier. I made the pressure on the foot lighter, then tighter, then almost off totally, nothing seems to help. It is happening where I'm crossing previous stitching in the opposite direction.

I've been sewing for 40 years and have never had this problem. I'm really unhappy with how it looks and don't want to put my name on it or send it in. I guess I should stick to clothing.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7589724

Don't know what to say, anyone else have a solution?
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7589830

walking foots come with a little bar that hooks on to the needle apparatus. Check to see if you have it on there or if it slipped off somehow? or, it could be one of those fabrics that even though it's cotton, likes to stretch a little and the feeddogs below are helping that to happen.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2010 2:45 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2010
1:33 AM

Post #7590589

I noticed mine doing the same thing when I crosshatched, but I was actually stitcing diagonally across the face, not vertical/horizontal. I figured the bias had something to do with it. So I stitched a row, then turned and came back the opposite direction. I had a couple places where I couldn't keep it from folding, but it wasn't that noticeable. The first time I tried it, I didn't have the backing smoothed out enough, so had to redo. It was sticking to the batting and not laying flat enough...
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7590629

Thanks Kizmo, I'm going to rip out the stitching where it folded and on either side of it, do a bit of hand stitching to ease it to lay flat and re-sew. I won't be happy if it doesn't look at least decent.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2010
2:19 AM

Post #7590863

you know, after you wash it, and we are supposed to wash them before we mail them, right?...they might look better. it's probably just fine.

i'm almost done with mine. only I have to work 12 hrs tomorrow.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7590905

Yes, supposed to wash it before we mail it back. Mine has this bright red in it, just hope it doesn't bleed out. Will have to put some vinegar in and use cold water.. and cross my fingers (and toes)..
I tried my regular zigzag foot that came with my machine and also the walking foot. Both had the same results, as far as the fabric skooching along in places. I can't adjust my pressure (old machine, probably needs deep cleaned), so I just used my ZZ foot and changed my feeddog height to 'silk' (it has 3 positions - normal, silk, darning). That seemed to help too, sorry I can't be more specific.
I'm new at this finishing a quilt thing, so I don't have alot of experience at it. Just take my time and try to figure out what to do when I have problems... The one I'm doing for Thunderwill probably be SID, or similar.

Phyl - sorry you have to work 12s on a Saturday... been there, done that! Only I did that 7/52/365... sometimes different shifts or splits
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7590953

its just that I didn't find out till 8pm. I want the money...lol. so i'll hush.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
3:15 AM

Post #7590979

You've all made me feel better, thanks. My daughter pulled out 2 baby quilts made by her DH's grandmother. They are just beautiful, but when I looked really close there are places that aren't perfect. I'll just rework the really big places and leave the little ones alone.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #7591010

cathy, we jokingly say that if someone cant see the mistakes that YOU see while driving by going 25 mph, they don't count. lol. which means you're prpbably being more critical on yourself.

the kids will love it, i'm sure.

g'night all. happy saturday

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #7591031

Thanks again everyone, I think it will be ok after it is washed. The baby quilts are all puckery, not super smooth like mine is right now, and since this fabric probably wasn't washed before they cut it, it may shrink some, too. Relief, I can sleep.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7591039

My ex's dad always said 'you wouldn't see it if you were on a gallopin' horse, would ya?', 'Well, then, it will be just fine...' LOL

Besides, I don't think that little baby/child is going to be counting stitches...or puckers...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7591616

Another reason you might get the smooching is that the top isn't "pulled tight" when you baste your pieces together. I used to tape the backing to my kitchen floor, then put the batting in and "tighten it" & tape it to the floor. I'd then put some marks along the sides of the backing to indicate where the top would end. I'd put the top on and start in the middle & slightly pull it as I put the safety pins in. It should fit tot he marked line on the batting.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7591915

Got my Harriet Hargrave book out last night on machine quilting. Its a fantastic book. I understand it much better now that I know more lingo tho. I found the section on thread particularly interesting in reguard ( maybe) to the above, and in general. Sorry to those who this is redundant.

Choose a thread that is not as strong as the fabric in your top.
100% cotton is the choice, the best you can afford.
It is possible, years from now, and many laundryings, to repair a quilt that has a broken thread in the quilting line, but it is impossible to repair the fabric that has been 'cut' by a thread that was stronger than the fabric.

* Do not use cotton wrapped polyester thread, unless using poly in the quilt top. It is to thick for cotton fabrics and can cause puckered seams.

She goes on a bit about nylon thread and says you REALLY have to be careful there, as people use nylon made for heming and all kinds of other things. Basically...go for a .004 size. You should be able to break it easily with your hand. Dont buy on spools...buy the stuff on cones, its for quilting.

have a great weekend all. Rainy here, not what I planned, will have to wait on sun till tomorrow it seems.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2010 10:25 AM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7593830

thanks Pam..thats some great info...

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7615511

I will be mailing my Downy quilt back today along with two from my stash. I really like the four patch quilt pattern they sent, fast and easy.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7655750

All mine now have bindings on. I'll take pics tomorrow.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7655773

I finished mine up last Friday and mailed it out Monday. I requested two more quilt kits, supposed to come UPS tomorrow.

How is anyone mailing theirs out? I used the post office and it was over $7...and I had to buy the envelope cause I had nothing. Is there a little less expensive way to return them?...its for charity, so I'm still going to do it, just was hoping there is a less expensive way. I had requested two quilt kits when I sent the original request and they only sent one, so I'm hoping I'll get two this time, I requested 2 again. Most of my fabrics are not quilt quality...I'm looking into getting some better fabric, but I had a violet convention expense get in my way first, ha.

I'll have to see if my computer is going to download my pics, sometimes it has issues.

tish

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7655872

Jaye, this is the one I just finished from the fabric you sent. Nice and bright! I will get it sewn together tomorrow, and hopefully quilted. This one is going to Thunder. I just mailed 3 off to Downy, so now it is time for Thunder's kids.

Thumbnail by taters55

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7657879

aww that is cheerful. i've been 'spring sowing' so my kitchen ( aka my gardening center today ) has the last of my jugs soaking and ready to put seeds in, but when i get that done, I'm going to work on mine next.

ive been gardening, next its quilting. in my jammies. HA HA i'm having a 'me' day.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7657905

Comfort clothes for a comfort day Nannie!!! We all need one of those. I have my two Downey quilts done - just waiting to get the others from the ladies in my group so I can mail them all back together. They sure were easy and I'm glad I participated.
Have a great weekend all...
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7658039

you too, Barb. and everyone else, lol.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7658157

lilypad - check on the web site & see if there is a drop off point/person near where you live. Then you deliver it directly to them.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7660683

Well...the quilt kits came and guess what, there are 3!, ha. Guess I'll be busy sewing!

Thats an idea I had not even thought of ...to look for a drop off. I'll check into that, thanks! If not here, maybe when I go to md, there is a place up there.

tish
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7660932

in knoxville, we have a drop off because they will stay in the Knoxville area hospitals. Atlanta should have their own group for their hospitals I would think.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7661402

I haven't checked yet, but as i recall the first time I checked that site, there was no hospital in Atlanta. So possible no drop off here either. I guess I should check...no hurry, it will take a while to finish 3.

I know someone who lost their son and she started a Foundation in his name, so I help support that. Its local. She buys fun things that will make kids smile - both those in waiting rooms and children that are sick...there are a lot of long hospital hours.

tish
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7661573

OK, here are the pics I promised.
Remember 90% of the fabrics you see were scraps left from other projects. Most of the prints came from a friend who sees no need to use a scrap. She is the who loves to hand sew the bindings on. Her husband saw the quilts, recognized the fabrics, and asked her when she had made these new ones.

These fabrics were left over from 2 quilts she had made for the spare beds at their DE home.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7661575

The center is a 15" square left from a backing she used for a quilt.
The orange fabric was the only one that wasn't a scrap.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7661578

Here's another with a 15" jungle print center. All the other fabrics are scraps I had. Even the binding is pieced from scraps.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7661581

These are scraps from a baby quilt my friend made.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7661583

After she bought this fabric for backing she decided it was too plain. So, I got to use it!!!

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7661586

After I finished the Pooh quilt, I had a Tigger left. Most of the other fabrics were already sewn together from another project of hers. The same fabrics are in the fish quilt.

Amazing what can be done with scraps.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7661594

And the last pic. This is the backing on 2 of the quilts. I actually bought this fabric on some clearance table years ago. Every time I went to use it, I discovered I didn't have enough. Well, it was enough for 2 quilt backs and the left overs will show up in some tops in the next batch I make.
Anyway, these were all Fun to make & it proves that every left over piece can indeed be used for something.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7661624

Fantastic Jean!!! Are these all for Downey? Or some for Thunder? You sure know how to use up the stash!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7661652

These will all go to Downey.
I finished quilting another this morning. After it is bound, I'll get a pic of it in here.

But my next quilting project is a King, so it will keep me busy for awhile!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7661676

What's the status of your triangles? Maybe I shouldn't ask???? I just looked at your pics from the quilt show and they are spectacular. I'll be that good someday -- ya right!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7661699

The triangles are all put together!!!!! I think it measures 106 X 124 - CA King with plenty to drape over on the sides. I need to get this quilt done for a customer, and then a small baby quilt, and then the triangles will get loaded. I'm using a sheshell panno for the quilting design.

And I have enough triangles left to make some shams.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #7661922

Awesome Jean

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7662631

I agree, so nice!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7662965

It is just amazing how much you all get finished so quickly, and so bright and beautiful!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7663010

Cahy - I did most of that piecing during the week we were snowed in.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7663188

Very beautiful! Gonna be some very happy kids!
And the people working on this project to get the quilts to
the kids are going be happy too!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7664012

Very vibrant. Lucky the kid that gets one. helene
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7664808

I just got an email back form the local collector. Of course the group meets on Thur afternoons and nowhere near where I work. I'm trying to find a way to get them to her early some evening.

Thunder, I sent 2 QOV's out today...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2010
11:31 PM

Post #7666155

good girl Jean...the soldiers,and their loved ones, and I...thank you...more than I can possibly express...

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 13, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7703451

Hello Ladies,

I sent for a kit and it arrived yesterday. I will be asking a lot of questions too as this will be my first quilt.
My first question is about the tags that we put our name on. It says quilt name. Do I name the quilt or??????? The print I received has skateboarders on it.

Thanks,
Cindy

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7703479

Just call it Skateboarders Quilt!!!
Mine had dalmations and I called it puppy quilt...

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 13, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7703518

Thanks Barb,
Boy there are some things that I don't understand
So i for sure will be asking lots of questions, lol

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7704190

Ask away...we will help how ever we can...

Happy Stitchin" :-)
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7704404

I am finally getting mine mailed back. I bet it has been done for a month, but just couldn't seem to get it washed and mailed. BTW, mine had dalmations and fire hydrants on it and I named it "To the Rescue".

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 14, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7704715

Ok my first question...I don't have one of those fancy quilting machines. So when I machine quilt the quilt I can only do straight lines. So mine will be squares, how far apart should I do the squares?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7705043

on the downy quilts, they ask that they be heavily quilted, as they get vigorous washings in those big machines at the hospitals...so I would say every inch to inch and a half...

when you start the quilt stitching, you want to start in the center, and go out towards each side, top and bottom...for at least the first few rows of stitching...to be sure your backing and top is lined up well...

I am going to send you a d mail...

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 14, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #7705045

ok, Thanks

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7799951

Ok Ladies,
I'm getting ready to put the backing on the quilt. It says to Bind quilt as you normally would...meaning??? What does "Pillowcase" mean?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010

Post #7799970

Pillowcase means the quilt does not have a separate binding. You would layer the front and back of the quilt right sides together and then lay the batting on top. These would all be cut the same size. You would then stitch all around the edge through all three (front, back and batting) leaving about a six inch space open. You would then turn the quilt right side out and hand stitch the opening closed. Then you would proceed to quilt all over the blanket so the materials would not shift around during washing.
Binding means taking a separtate strip of fabric and is not added until after the blanket has been quilted.
I think Thunder can explain better than I and may have links to "how to"s that may explain things much clearer.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010

Post #7799971

I think you put the quilt top and backing together facing each other then sew it on 3 sides, turn it right sides out and sew up the open end. I don't know how you get the batting in there though. The one time I tried it that way it turned out awful.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #7800947

Barb said it fine...I will find a binding link...be back

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7800977

this is a pretty good how to

I almost always use cross grain binding, always double fold...and ALWAYS cut my binding strips at 2.5 inches...

http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQuiltingPages/startquiltingfive.html

I use the pillow case method only on very small quilts, like for a bassinette, or for a baby changing pad...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7801002

here is another good one...read them both through a few times before you try one...

I use the "join the loose ends method" but as this is your first..you may find the tucked in method easier...I used that one for a long time... both are very good...

http://quilting.about.com/od/bindingaquilt/ss/mitered_binding.htm

and spray basting is AWESOME !!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8743649

I just finished & donated 6 quilts to the local Downey group.
Here is the link: http://www.mspquiltingangels.org/08062011/

photos 7000 - 7009 are of my quilts.

I can't remember who, but someone from his group gifted me the crazy fish fabric in 7006.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8743726

Fantastic Jean and you are looking lovely as always. Great job on those quilts. And what a wonderful group of ladies . Please tell them one of your buddies says Thank You for all they do...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 8, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8743743

You awesome lady you.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8743870

Incredible!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8743884

Only thre fish one was from a pattern. The flowers are from a panel then I added a border.
The elephants, cats, and other "crazy" one are made from left over blocks from some old projects. Proves there is a use for everything.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8743963

beautiful lady makes beautiful quilts.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8744117

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Helene you made my day!!!!!
There again, you may be looking at JoAnn's pic and not mine!!!!!! She did all those fancy fish & sea shell motifs on her quilt. It was her 1st attempt at something fancy & I think she did an excellent job.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8744644

These are sooooooo cool! This would be a great way for me to use up some of my stash. The problem is, I'll get the tops made and never get to the quilting! I need to just get with it and LEARN, break out of my little bubble.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8744853

Well to cover my "A" l'll just say this: each and every lady is beautiful inside and out and made beautiful quilts for tots.

Here is beautiest in my book JEAN - right or wrong -

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8744990

Yep, that is indeed me. After Iposted it I realized only Barb had ever seen me. I hide from cameras every opportunity I get.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8745266

Why for heaven's sake???? You are as lovely as your quilts!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8745798

hooorah HOORAH for Jean!!!! very nice quilts, your friend did those fish?/!!! very "cool"

I try to hide from cameras too!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America