Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Homasote?

Asheville, NC

I have a big piece of Homasote. What's your opinion of using it to start a no-till garden bed?

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Since it's mainly paper pulp & glue, it would probably disintegrate rapidly after a few rains & turn to mush. On the website they warn against "saturation", LOL.

Here's a list of ingredients, you may want to spend some time researching them before you do anything:

http://www.homasote.com/whatisit.aspx

And since it's made from recycled post consumer paper products, they probably can't say for sure what kind of inks are in it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Just from a quick look at the ingredient list, I'd be a bit careful--it's got both aluminum sulfate and alumina in it, and too much aluminum can be bad for plants. It's all a matter of quantity of course, having some aluminum around is fine so if it's just a small amount it wouldn't be an issue, but if there's a lot of it that could cause problems. Since they're using the hydrated alumina as a fire retardant it seems like there might be a decent quantity of it in there so I would definitely do some research on that before you consider using it in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.