Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ooneek
Asheville, NC

January 22, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7486061

I have a big piece of Homasote. What's your opinion of using it to start a no-till garden bed?
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7522203

Since it's mainly paper pulp & glue, it would probably disintegrate rapidly after a few rains & turn to mush. On the website they warn against "saturation", LOL.

Here's a list of ingredients, you may want to spend some time researching them before you do anything:

http://www.homasote.com/whatisit.aspx

And since it's made from recycled post consumer paper products, they probably can't say for sure what kind of inks are in it.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7522261

Just from a quick look at the ingredient list, I'd be a bit careful--it's got both aluminum sulfate and alumina in it, and too much aluminum can be bad for plants. It's all a matter of quantity of course, having some aluminum around is fine so if it's just a small amount it wouldn't be an issue, but if there's a lot of it that could cause problems. Since they're using the hydrated alumina as a fire retardant it seems like there might be a decent quantity of it in there so I would definitely do some research on that before you consider using it in the garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America