Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Scallions from sets or seeds: Good Article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Scallions from sets or seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Scallions from sets or seedsReplies: 7, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7488148

Everytime I think of onions in a garden area, I remember part of that little song, "I'm a little petunia in an onion patch, an onion patch, an onion patch!..." Ha! Thanks for the info on growing onions; haven't before, but maybe I'll give it a shot...Thanks for sharing with us =)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 23, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7489008

Petal pants
Little green onions is the Best thing coming out of the garden in the spring and so very easy. You should try them!
I get my onion sets from the grocery stores in the spring.
They have red, yellow, and white bulbs - Krogers use to sell them loose while Save a Lot sells them in mesh bags. I always get all three colors but I do not know why since we like the white ones the best.

Last year my hubby retired and of course retired hubbys start going to the store because they just have to have the wheels rolling under them at all times! Well he did have to travel on his job a lot, so I guess it is hard on him.

He called me from the grocery store on his cell phone and told me they had their sets in. I told him to get me a couple of bags of each color. (his first true effort toward the garden, bless his heart). The bags from previous years were always small! Well not last year they were huge and I found myself having to plant 6 huge bags of onions while my hubby - well I am not sure what happened to him - but he was somewhere else.

Not being one to waste anything, I gave them to my neighbors, I chopped them up and froze a freezer full of them for both my aging parents and me, I canned them in my tomatoes and peppers, I dried them (outside - whew!) in my dehyderators - all three of my dehydrators were going day and night!

So you see - you should try them - they are easy. I even am growing them in a clay base soil in my home town were I grew up. I will not bother you with my story of growing them in the sandy soil of the bay area of Michigan!!!
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7490135

Liquid, Thanks for the good information, and encouragement! I just may try growing some onions; I didn't know you could buy them at the grocery store; I'll have to look; hopefully I'll try to remember to actually LOOK, at the right time too; I usually have good intentions to plant certain things at a specified time...then, I remember that I didn't do it...about a month late! I laughed so hard about your onion story---I can just see you trying to save all those onions; my, it sure sounds like you had tons! Ha~ Hey, it's better to have too many than Not enough, right?! ...Your husband is retired now? I hear all kinds of stories about this period in time! Mine will probably quit work in 5-6 yrs., or so he hopes; he's ready now, as he's sick & tired of working, and he's turning 59 in Feb. And he likes to 'push' the grocery cart when he goes with me; I let him, sometimes, as long as he doesn't 'add' a bunch of snacks & stuff which I don't see till the checkout, Ha!! He likes gardening also, and we both like fishing & outdoor stuff; anyway, I always wonder how it REALLY Is when they retire and are at home ALL the time... =)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 24, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7490543

I thought it would be great!
BUT HE GETS ON MY NERVES!
He is a go getter and so am I, --- let me correct that last statement so WAS I.
Now he waits on me hand and foot. He cleans my kitchen, washes my car, does the nagging on our son,does the shopping, gets my coffee for me in the morning. He may have been slow on the onions this spring, but that is about it. This fall he sat out there in the garden waiting for when the sweet potatoes were ready to be dug up. THAT IS MY JOB. I feel like I have no nich in the world. IS that not just the strangest thing?
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7491211

Liquid, just saw your comment, & I Will get back to you on this matter, ...only I have to go get dressed for church right now or I'll be late! Hey, I'll pray for you, as I'm feeling your tenseness and uneasiness across the miles! Ha~ ...later--- Petal~ Connie =)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 24, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7491417

Don't worry about it! I was mostly kidding. We have been separated so much in our marriage because of work that you would not think it is right! I mean - months at a time - He even had to rent apartments for seven years to be next to his workplace.

Plus he has a health problem (brought on by one to many tetantus shot from work starting when he was 35) so all kidding aside. God has granted for a while this very perious time, and I am so grateful.

I guess I should not kid.

Church is good, it is something that I have gotten out of since the last five years the only time I saw my husband was on weekends. I did go on Sunday evenings and Wed --which I enjoyed but so far this year we still have not got back in the habit. Something we plan on though.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7493576

Liquid--- Hi! =) ONIONS & Husbands & Church...such great topics, don't you think? ---
"Onions can be tastey hot,
And some are pretty sweet,
But one thing I know for sure,
Ain't one I wouldn't eat!"
(This really isn't true, because I don't Like onions so hot that they either make you cry or sweat!)
Husbands... well, it's ok to say he gets on your nerves or drives you crazy sometimes; that doesn't mean you don't Love him...I know what you mean in a way. When my husband takes a week off work, and the kids are at school, sometimes we go do things around town, sometimes we do stuff here, but after awhile, it's like...ok., I need some space,... some time Alone, just for a little while... 'Do you Really wanna go with me to Walmart to get detergent and shampoo?...Oh, ok...Are you sure you want to go to the grocery store with me...to push the cart?!...Oh, alright...but I'm Only getting what's on the List!...(Ha!) ...Does the TV Have to be on All the time?...but it's about snakes, and you don't even Like snakes! (snicker) ...You want to do what? Help me water the plants outside?! Alright!! And you're cooking dinner tonight? Great! (yeah, husbands can be a pain, but mostly they are our gain!) ...I think, Liquid, you will get your niche back like you had it before; after awhile, he'll get tired of doing all that extra stuff ( Your stuff!) Hey, take a break while you have a chance! Ha!! (My husband has heart problems, etc.) I will pray for your husband's health, because we have an awesome God who Always listens to our every need! We belong to a medium-size church, and most people there are so friendly and caring. If you have several churches near you, why don't you go to one of them next Sunday morning? If you don't like one, then try another church! Some churches are 'dead'; even if people are nice, it may not feel 'alive'; that's because the Holy Spirit isn't there! Ours is very much alive, and our little parking lot is full, whereas the church across the street is not crowded at all, even if the people are nice. I know sometimes it's hard to get Back into church if you haven't been in awhile, but most churches Love to have visitors, and you may find a place you really love to go, and you can actually find Peace there, that you cannot find anywhere else in this crazy world! ---not counting new friends you will make! Wish you lived nearby, and I'd take you with us to Our church! Well, talk to ya later--- Take Care! =) Petal ~Connie
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 25, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7495076

I think I would like living next to you. You sound like a lot of fun!
I do have a church that we picked out and went a lot. My son was baptized there, I have a picture of him in his white choir robe standing in the water with the preacher shaking his hand. He was 17! Don't you think that was the bestess of age!

Like the preacher and the people too. Just out of the habit. Dread going back feel like a traitor, quitter, and lazy and don't have anything to wear --- I can keep going????

Onions, I hill them up. That is I push the bulbs in the tilled soil, and then every now and then when I weed, I just take a hoe and mound dirt up on them. Only way in clay soil. Try the white ones, because they are sweet. I find the yellow and the reds are hot!!!! The bulbs are found in the produce section if you notice in the spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Scallions from sets or seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Timely! Hineni 20 Mar 17, 2009 9:08 PM
And . . . Potagere 26 Jan 26, 2010 3:05 PM
Composted scallions began growing annie_appleseed 1 Mar 17, 2009 2:22 PM
Already Grow Scallions asim_nawaz 1 Mar 19, 2009 2:21 PM
How do I know when to pick? AllysonB 1 Mar 29, 2009 12:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America