Photo by Melody

Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting: jiffy pots

Communities > Forums > Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed startingReplies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drmarcia
Sonoma, CA

January 23, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #7489515

Just picked up a Jiffy greenhouse system with pellets, tray and plastic lid. Anyone used those for starting vegetable seeds? Seemed convenient though I am sure it can be done cheaper with your own containers.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #7493561

I use jiffy pots for all of my seeds, including veggies. They work great for me - hardly ever lose seedlings and have great germination rates. The only drawback I see to using the pellets for vegetables is that their roots grow so fast, that once they sprout repotting needs to happen quickly. Good luck!
drmarcia
Sonoma, CA

January 27, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7501039

Thanks alot for the feedback. I did that transplanting to a larger pot would happen quickly. Do you only put in seeds that tend to germinate at the same rate?
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7502700

Not necessarily the same germination rates, although veggies mostly seem to germinate really quickly. I have different levels of lights on different shelves so if one set of seeds germinates faster than another, I can separate them out and keep the lights at the correct level for each kind.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Thrifty Gardener: Cheap tricks for seed starting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent! jlp222 8 Apr 13, 2008 2:53 PM
Great! dmdula 1 Apr 12, 2008 12:48 AM
question! robcorreia 4 Apr 14, 2008 7:37 PM
I Love Thrifty Gardening Ideas MistyPetals 2 Apr 15, 2008 3:52 AM
good points jimneyj 0 Apr 14, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America