Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants: African Violets

Communities > Forums > Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Codered1
New Paltz, NY

January 25, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #7493113

Thank you for the marvelous suggestion for using the inverted plastic container over the violets... that are standing on the pebbles. It is a perfect idea for me. It will also keep my Persian Cats hair from falling on the fuzzy leaves.

My e-mail address is shaynacats@yahoo.com NOT Codered1
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7495123

Hi, Shayna - Codered! Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you like the idea of using storage bins as mini-greenhouses and cat-proof containers for plants on pebbles. It hadn't occurred to me what a pain it might be to try to get cat hairs out of African Violet fuzzy leaves. That indeed must be a tedious task, so I hope the inverted container will work for you. Just make sure that too much humidity doesn't build up inside the container and possibly cause fungi or leaf rot from too much moisture inside the cover. You may want to put some spaces (small styrofoam blocks would work) at intervals around the base of the inverted container so that there is some air flow and less chance for too much humidity.

BTW - you may want to go back and edit out your actual email address. There are always Internet fiends lurking everywhere, unfortunately, that may want to "harvest" email addresses to sell to commercial spam lists. Just a thought, we can never be too cautious with any personal info.

Best wishes for Saintpaulias without Persian hairs!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Non-Draining Decorative Containers: Watery Tombs for Seasonal Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
WOW! doccat5 10 Jan 2, 2008 1:15 PM
Great! MitchF 3 Jan 1, 2008 9:11 PM
Hydrogen peroxide a solution? tabasco 7 Jan 30, 2012 2:12 PM
Thanks CLScott 1 Jan 27, 2012 2:18 PM
New gizmo works! bariolio 1 Feb 2, 2012 1:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America