Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Beguiling Bergenia: Bergenia

Communities > Forums > Article: Beguiling Bergenia
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beguiling BergeniaReplies: 2, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roseloversandy
Coquitlam, BC
Canada

January 25, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7494144

I have a Bergenia I was given as a gift, didn't know what it was...
A friend on Vancouver Island cautioned me to keep this plant contained as out here on the West Coast it will spread like wildfire and take over the garden. So my plant sits in a big pot, blooms like a blushing bride every spring and I rarely do more than water it and give it an occasional scoop of well rotted manure and the odd dusting of bone meal.It's been there for 7 years and gives me a happy burst of optimism that spring has indeed arrived and the garden will be good ...worth having, even if it has to live in a container.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7495345

I am surprised that the plant would be invasive in the garden...it certainly will multiply quickly if happy but is easily controlled.
MNgrow
Wayzata, MN

May 27, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9535679

One Bergenia in a ordinary dark garden-store 1/2 gallon pot is great in my garden though, just for the elevation behind another plant. It has rooted into the ground through the five or so holes in the bottom. This is Minnesota so I gave it a large cone head of Styrofoam for the winter. The soil here is very heavy and otherwise bergenia languish in it. It is flourishing! I wonder if it will bloom.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beguiling Bergenia Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Elephants Ears! NEILMUIR1 4 Jan 23, 2010 4:11 PM
Like 'em!! Petalpants 0 Jan 23, 2010 2:58 PM
Suffering bergenia ARWadoo 3 Jan 29, 2010 7:55 AM
Thanks for the article about Bergenia abbeyrooney 1 Jan 25, 2010 2:12 PM
Informative tcfromky 1 Jan 25, 2010 5:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America