ARWadoo
Srinagar
India

January 25, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7494193

Helo
We call bergenia "The stone breakers" and " Pakoda plants"

Bergenia is a permanent feature in my lawn. Tucked on an elevated bed these plants put this long elevation into fire in early spring by its profuse flowering. This year however it looks bad, due to continuous dry spell and low temperatures of up to -4 deg C the plants are suffering. The suffering is due to the beaks of the birds. I was astonished to see all the growing tips of these plants eaten away. The plants are bleeding. At night temperatures of -4 and day maximum of + 2-3, I am irrigating the plants with sprinkler to give some moisture to these bleeding plants .
ARWadoo
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7495338

I have never seen birds eating the buds here. Cold should not bother Bergenia...in Calgary, Alberta I have seen plants exposed to -30 C with no ill effects and the climate there is quite dry as well.
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

January 28, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7505406

Maybe the hardiness, or seeming lack of it is an issue of provenance. How often does it get that cold in Srinagar?
ARWadoo
Srinagar
India

January 29, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7507868

I feel it is not cold but dry spell and lack of greens arround for the sparrws mainly.The birds have grazed everything green sweetwillium,brassicas including the poor bergenias.Thank heavens rain and snow has greeted us since morning ,conditions will improve now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beguiling Bergenia Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Elephants Ears! NEILMUIR1 4 Jan 23, 2010 4:11 PM
Like 'em!! Petalpants 0 Jan 23, 2010 2:58 PM
Bergenia roseloversandy 2 May 27, 2013 8:53 AM
Thanks for the article about Bergenia abbeyrooney 1 Jan 25, 2010 2:12 PM
Informative tcfromky 1 Jan 25, 2010 5:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America