Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Beguiling Bergenia: Thank you! Mine not blooming

Communities > Forums > Article: Beguiling Bergenia
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beguiling BergeniaReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spnwhl
Moorpark, CA

January 25, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7495159

Thank you for the interesting article. I have 2 planted in north facing planter border which receives afternoon sun in zone 9 with coastal influence (not real hot). Neither has yet to bloom. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7495300

Hmmm...as a grower in zone 5 I cannot comment too much on zone 9. I would expect that you do not get cool enough winters to stimulate bud development. bergenia are native to cold climates with snowy winters...often plants that come from cold regions might produce leaves in warmer places but not flowers. Mind you, this is just an educated guess as to your problem. Might to worth checking with local nurseries to see what their take is on this problem.

Cheers,
Todd
spnwhl
Moorpark, CA

February 1, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7518708

Thank you Todd. That makes sense. I'll check with the nursery. spnwhl
Mearez
Royal Oak, MI

May 4, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9110254

I've had my Bergenia in the ground for 5 years in the same place. The foliage is great.but it hasn't bloomed in the last few years. I'm in zone 5, Michigan. I just bought the Pink Dragonfly and it looks great.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beguiling Bergenia Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Elephants Ears! NEILMUIR1 4 Jan 23, 2010 4:11 PM
Like 'em!! Petalpants 0 Jan 23, 2010 2:58 PM
Bergenia roseloversandy 2 May 27, 2013 8:53 AM
Suffering bergenia ARWadoo 3 Jan 29, 2010 7:55 AM
Thanks for the article about Bergenia abbeyrooney 1 Jan 25, 2010 2:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America