Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Petrified Forest National Park: Frozen Forever in Sparkling Stone.: Petrified Forest close to home....

Communities > Forums > Article: The Petrified Forest National Park: Frozen Forever in Sparkling Stone.
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Petrified Forest National Park: Frozen Forever in Sparkling Stone.Replies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7495595

We live only 78 miles from the Petrified Forest. It is a strange and lovely place. So I was pleased to see an article on this subject.

Up here in the Coconino National Forest, we have our own strange rocks, though not the colors of the petrified ones. We live on formations of Coconino Sandstone (so I've been told) and whenever we dig up or turn over large rocks, we are sure to find a treasure for our garden. There are rocks right here in Happy Jack with a lot of Calcite Crystals in them.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7495711

Those are some seriously cool rocks! I love all the different shapes and formations that sandstone acquires...

"Strange and lovely" does seem to describe the Petrified Forest. :-)
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

February 13, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7556710

Hey, Critter, we just moved to Snowflake, AZ - we are south of Holbrook. How cool to see your article on the petrified forest. Can't wait to get my house organized, and have some free time for exporing the area. My parents lived at Kayenta more than 50 years ago and I remember hearing talk of the petrified forest. It will be wondeful to show my grandchildren around this area.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7557317

Oh, that's just such an amazing part of the country! I know you'll have fun exploring -- and even more fun when your grandkids can join in!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Petrified Forest National Park: Frozen Forever in Sparkling Stone. Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
wood irisMA 12 Jan 23, 2010 1:39 AM
petrified wood marti001 7 Jan 23, 2010 1:38 AM
Loved my Trip MitchF 1 Jan 23, 2010 1:36 AM
Petrified Forest national Park mcash70 1 Jan 23, 2010 1:34 AM
A rare subject Noturf 1 Jan 25, 2010 4:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America