Photo by Melody

Mosaics and Stained Glass: What is everyone working on?

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 61, Views: 778
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 25, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7496059

This is the mid section for the windows, there will be 10 of them throughout the house. They will be 5 feet tall and 11 inches wide. I ordered enough Zinc for all 10 of them but it was back ordered since November so, It is not here yet. They will be made with the copper foil and zinc around the frame, then put over the glass in the long windows (they don't open) so I'll probably secure them with small screws, not sure yet.

This is the mid section panel, it is hard to see the colors. The top and bottom sections are petals.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

January 26, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7497187

That is going to be amazing!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 26, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7499206

Thank you, I'm so slow, maybe this summer things will be done... I got a tracking number for the Zinc yesterday, so there is HOPE!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 24, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7584711

I'm embarassed to say I've a window panel about 90% finished going on 2 years sitting on a table waiting for me to get creative..not sure why but the piece just ins't calling me!

That's quite the undertaking Gourd, look forward to seeing you progress!
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 4, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7603959

Here is my little project I started to day a double pot to plant succulents in.
elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 6, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7609068

Talk about a lot of work..love the colors...
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 7, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7611766

That is a really nice pot combo, the succulents will look great in them.

Betty, thank you, you will not believe this, but, I've started teaching a beginner's stained glass... I can't believe it myself.. I think we are having so much fun that I get so excited and want to teach the ladies everything I can think of all at one time. (before I forget)..lol Also, I don't know if this particular center will continue with classes again after this one, but, if not, we still have mosaic there. But, if it had not been for you encouraging us in your spoon thread, I would not have gotten the bug. Also, before this semester is over, I will teach everyone to recycle silverware..lol, THANK YOU!!!! And, I'll mention your name, I just said a friend from Canada taught me. See what you did?

Hey there fish_knees, thank you and I hope all is well with you all.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 7, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7612091

I just finished the pot I can now see I have to start to make smaller peices of tile ------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

crystallclear10
Tipton, IA

April 3, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7676825

Gourd,

Zinc I don't think there is any shortage of it to be waiting since November for it. I would check into that more or find a different company to buy it from.

The project you're working on looks like FUN!

I'm working on this week 2 signs 24 x 24 each, 1 mermaid window 40 x 39, 3 abstracts 24 x 40 each, 1 floral 18 x 18 and 2 custom beveled windows 44 x 60. Can't wait to get one of them done. But between clients in and out of the studio and holds up for kiln working, airbrushing, sand blasting etc. work to be completed it takes a lot of time. I hope to be done with all of them in the next week since we have 12 other client's on the schedule to begin their work.

Sammut GREAT work love the colors.

Bettypauze LOL I did that once and then scraped the project and reused the glass in another window that inspired me. I found unless I'm inspired it just doesn't get done so why start it... lol Good luck send us picture when you done.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7820885

Gourd you make me tired :)
have you gotten your windown finished?

sammut nice pots ..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #7823301

Absolutely gorgeous...you've given me a thought, wonder if I could do same, unfoil and use the glass in one that inspires me..you are so on target, if it's not something you love it will stay unfinished...

I did though pour a mold for a bench and used up a lot of leftover glass...lordy, even using panes meant for other projects..lol..once you cut it, it's leftovers right?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

heartofglass
Fletcher, NC

June 5, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7861306

I was inspired by this site to try my hand at covering a bowling ball. I glued about a zillion glass globs on a bowling ball, grouted it, then stuck in on top of my bottle tree. This whole thing is in front of my stained glass studio.

Thumbnail by heartofglass

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 8, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7869663

Just too adorable, love it...

I'm so bad, was looking at your gorgeous garden and saw the metal frames, thought wouldn't it be nice to go purchase a flower pot saucer to fit the size of the metal plant holder, large enough for it to sit inside and on it's rim BUT ONLY after you do same technique as you did with the bowling ball...can't you see a lovely blue glass birdbath?
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

June 8, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7870125

Bettypauze - are you talking about those tomato plant stands in heartofglass's garden? Trying to picture what you are saying.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 8, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7870194

Yes I am..you know the dish that sits underneath big flower pots, clay dish...if you sat it on the top of a tomato stand it would be another piece of art...

not sure this site has photo, but it would give instructions

http://www.ehow.com/how_2076921_make-bird-bath-from-clay.html
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7998203

Hello to all of you. Gourd, I'm so glad to finally find you. Lady, you have been missed. You know you were my inspiration on all the TtT items I made. Now I have something I really need your help with. This is a picture of one end of my sun room and I want to put stain glass on the top windows. The sun is on those windows every afternoon, and I think they would be beautiful. The next picture will be the stain glass I want to use. I would only want to use the color in the larger design. Have started removing the glass, but have no clue how to follow thru with my idea.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7998207

The stain glass for my sun room windows.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 26, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7999146

Oh my goodness, that is some gorgeous glass there.

Okay, first of all, you need to measure your windows and make some paper templates just to make sure that you have enough glass for each one, and re-measure, then decide what type of frame you will use.

I am assuming that you are going to place the new panels over the existing ones, which is the way I would do it without going into major construction and tearing up anything. You can just place your new window panels over the glass.

Once you have your frames made, then you can remeasure the frame against the window. Then trace the inside of the frame space on paper and draw your pattern. If you are using the same pattern there, you can just trace the pieces of glass as they are, then you can draw some shapes for the areas that do not have glass. These areas will be filled in with whatever color you choose, clear or clear colored, just so that the two windows match, stick with the same color for both.

After that, then you can foil them and solder them. If you choose a wooden frame, then you can use the same silicone glue/sealant we used for mosaic on the birdbaths. If you choose to use Zinc, then you have to order some and also use some grout to keep the zinc from moving.

Did you want to use Lead or copper foil? It will not be hard to do this, I wish you lived closer to me, we could work on it together. I don't know if I could teach the lead method on line. And you already know how to foil and solder, so it would be easier. I am foiling mine. If they are needing reinforcement, let me know and I'll try to show you how to do that, I think they need reinforcement every 18 inches if they are larger than that. It is not hard to do that.

YOU GO GIRL..

A.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 26, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7999152

Faye, are those beveled glass, you may need to go with lead came if they are, that is stronger, and beveled glass is much thicker and heavier than the regular sheets of glass. they sell the lead came by the roll and it is soft and pliable. Then you can use a wooden frame or a Zinc frame to hold it together.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #8000120

Wow! thank you Gourd, I sure wish you lived close to me. I'm afraid I do not have enough experience to tackle such a major job. I would be afraid I would make a mess of the existing windows and I sure do not want to do that. Thank you so much for all the info. I knew you could do it!
Love you lady!
Faye
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #8000513

Faye we all wish we lived in Gourds Back Yard :)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #8000547

LOL...How right you are denimangle, I've wished that every time I've seen her work.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #8002497

I love living out in the woods away from the city. Untill it comes to classes not being offered any closer then a 5 to 6 hour round trip drive
trying to self teach your self can be a pain :)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #8005057

Self teach! Are you kidding, LOL I have made some of the biggest messes trying to teach me to do something that Gourd has done.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8007604

Well it doesn't work out a lot of the time...lol
but if you really want to do something and have no other way you just do it ,
I taught my self to make quilts and have sold 100s to the public
doing the samething with glass im still in the baby stage but have sold a few things
but for some reason Mosaics are not reaching out to me and I really want to start on something :(
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 1, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #8012312

Faye, you can also use glue and glue the glass onto some glass and instead of solder, use grout... you need to use some high ladders, and I don't know if that is a good idea, a fall could do a lot of harm to us if we lose our balance. You may still be able to do this if you have them make you some duplicate windows and you work on them on a table, then have someone professionally install them for you. Glass on Glass, that would look nice too.

Thank you guys for the compliments.. you will never know what I have been up to.

I got 8 box turtles, real ones... and I've been making pens for them, they are really neat characters. I love them. They are rescues, I did get three for my birthday, the rest were turtles that needed homes and I want MORE.. remember those helmet turtles I was making, well, this is one of my babies.. after having over 45 fake turtles over the years, I finally got some real ones.

This is Big Al, his name is Alamo. He follows me around and he is smelling the cord to the camera. They really entertain me and they are just funny little guys too.

Thumbnail by Gourd

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #8013403

Gourd, your turtle rescue is awesome. I'm so proud of you. LOL and as you might already know, I would like to do that too. how did you ever learn that you could rescue turtles, and from where?

Thank you for all the suggestions for my windows, but I'm going to try and forget the idea. Sounds like it would cost a small fortune to have someone do it, and I'm not experienced enough. Wish you were here.
Faye
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 2, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #8013432

Faye,

Here are a couple of sites with Turtle Adoption in your State, give them a call, also call your local pet shelters.

http://reptile.rescueme.org/NorthCarolina

http://www.kingsnake.com/adoption.html

The ones I've got are Box Turtles (terrapene) land turtles. You may be able to get some water turtles too, I don't have an aquarium and don't want to clean one.. so I got some outside turtles, they still need maintenance but they are so neat, they come to you and recognize you from far, they know what time you feed them too.

Good luck.

The glass you have there will make a great table top with grout... use the cement board on the top so that you can use it outside. (backer board) they have some really thin board that you can replace or place on top of the table to make it waterproof.

A.
sylguy
Austin, TX

August 2, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #8014580

sammut, Iove your concept and your color blocking. I'm a cactus nut and look forward to seeing it planted...I like to do little plant asssembledges.
Wish this little bowl was done with mosaic!

Thumbnail by sylguy

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #8016039

Thank you Gourd. I think I have to settle on doing this table top with the glass. I have had a glass top cut, (never would if I had priced it before it was done, $102.) I had thought I would put the stain glass on top of this glass and then grout. What is cement board? Where do I get it?

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #8016042

Table is looking better after one cession of sanding. Still will sand again before priming and painting.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 3, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #8016386

Hi Slyguy here is the succulent pot old pic. taken as it was potted up back in March .---elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 3, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #8016403

Iam working on my first butterfly trying at 2 colours grouting also first time - have grouted the butterfly black when the back ground is finished will grout with white .---------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 3, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8016562

sammut, That butterfly is going to look great. Looks like you have a few projects going there. I'm in the middle of a couple and they are at a standstill right now.

I got a neat tip at a workshop two months ago. They used a sandbox, or a box with sand, and put the ceramic tile in the box then used a hammer to break it, none of the pieces flew anywhere. I don't recommend it without safety glasses. but you can wrap a around it and then stick it into the sand for support, then hit it with a hammer. Pretty cool how they did it and taught us to use the nippers correctly.. (correctly for me)..lol I'm so used to cutting glass that I don't know how to use the tile nippers.

Faye, the hardy backer board is sold at Lowes and is 1/4 inch thick about 3ftx5ft and is made out of concrete. You can cut that in half and have two half circles or buy two boards if the circle is larger. This should be placed on top of your wood so that the wood won't warp on you and not to be used alone. Cost is approximately 8 or 9 dollars each. I didn't ask if they would cut it out for me, but, then again, you could make it a square table on the circular frame you have there, use a square piece of wood or lots of pieces of wood, just glue the backerboard to that. Then start your mosaic. I also can take a photo of the glue that the used for the fountains they were making, I bought some and want to make an outdoor table as well.

you can still use that beautiful glass just place it in a way that will look good, you can make a large circle or even two semi circles... on a square table... you have lots of options.

Good luck.

A.
sylguy
Austin, TX

August 3, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #8016707

sammut, the planted 2 tier piece looks great, I'm envious...I love the deep red and burnt orange in your butterfly. It wouldn't have occured to me to use 2 colors of grout, but I can see how the dark enriches the deeper colors and the white will blent with the sky blue. Well done!
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 3, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #8016904

Gourd- Iam aways playing with lots of ideas at once Just had new idea working out how to hang a mirror from the rafters first have to cut and put a extra beam up when doing things just have to look up to see how it will look from a distance . This will save time no more standing things up and walking away to see how things are going .
I like the idea of the sand box try thate tomorrow.
Iam useless with nippers I use a small hammer and chip the edgers till tile fits .

Sylguy- Thanks I dont use a lot of bright colours thate way every thing blends together better in my small yard.--------elaine
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 3, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #8017152

Mirror above work bench completed I think it might need to hang on a angle .----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #8017737

Pretty butterfly sammut5. hope my project will turn out looking that good.
Gourd, thank you so much for all you do to help me. Thank you for the backer board info. and yes, I would like to see the glue used.
AYF, Faye
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 4, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #8018669

Fay Iam sure your table will be beautiful .
This is a few things I have been doing they will be used as wall decorations to go in a out side room .-------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #8019218

WOW! what talent, and pretty too.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 5, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8019838

Now that's creative, sure wish you'd all send a nudge my way so I can get the window panel done that's been sitting there for 2 years...

Have to go to my Uncle (same age as I) as my mom said he did all his outdoor patio and staircase with mosaiic..need to bring my camera..

Love your work...
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 5, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #8021145

Thanks for the kind comments, we are in mid winter here I work next to a heater thate is the reason I am doing so many projects .
Iam sending a big push over to you waiting to see the finished window panel .------elaine.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8021282

summut, you have been one busy lady I love what your doing
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 6, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #8021916

Thanks I'm on a roll at the moment.
-- To day I adjusted and tilted the mirror and light fitting but have to remember to turn the work looking up I see every thing upsidedown .-----------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 7, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #8024956

Gosh there is so much talent on DG, I love your mosaics..

The name of the glue is this and it is sold at Lowes:

PL
Polyurethane
Premium Wood Glue

I'll take a photo of it later today.

The great thing about this glue is that it is WATERPROOF and WEATHERPROOF

can be used on WOOD, FOAM, CONCRETE, STONE, MARBLE, METAL and MORE..

this is what they used in outside murals in Mexico City.. so this should hold up for our birdbaths, etc.. I am in love.. with this glue.

It doesn't say animal safe, but since it is under the item and then grouted, it shouldn't bother the birds, I don't know. I want to make my turtles a small birdbath for them use on the ground... and embed it into the ground somehow so I can just hose it off every day.

A.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 7, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #8025081

Faye,

Here is the photo of the glue: This should work on plexiglass too.. I noticed that they had a very clear one, this one is the color of honey, they said the same thing on the labels, so I got this one. Make sure you wear a mask over your nose and mouth (or bandana) because I'm sure it has invisible fumes that are quite harmful.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 7, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8025089

Here is the back label, I don't know how much you can read on it. But, if you work with the glues outdoors, you probably have enough ventilation and don't need a mask.

Thumbnail by Gourd

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8025176

Started my first Glass on Glass useing Recycled tempered glass & Scrap Art glass
the rose will be red

Thumbnail by denimangle

sylguy
Austin, TX

August 7, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #8025802

denim, that's going to be great, post as you go please.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8026449

Thanks sylguy
I worked on it some last night

Thumbnail by denimangle

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 8, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8026460

Oh that is looking great, Cheryl, you are doing a good job on that. Keep us posted.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #8026476

I have a Great Teacher :)
sylguy
Austin, TX

August 8, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8026626

denim, you go girl! I love the shading.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #8027135

Thank You
moving right along
Break time need to run back to the shop and dig out some green
Im thinking about black grout around the rose but not sure about the tempered glass any ideas ?

Thumbnail by denimangle

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 9, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #8028580

oooh, I love it!!!!!! good going on the shading. The black grout will look great, I think it would look great all over it too, it may make it look dark, but, I've seen some vases at Hobby Lobby with the clear glass and black grout and they look really good, especially with the red.

I don't know what to say, except you are doing a great job, makes me want to get started on something here.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8028821

Ok Ill go with the black ..I have seen the vases at HL also. working on the green will post a picture before grouting
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #8029121

Gourd how long should it dry before I grout ?

Thumbnail by denimangle

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 9, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #8029172

You want the glue to disappear so you can see through the clear class to let the light through, so you need to wait till the glues dries clear, it could take a week or more depending on how much glue you used on each piece, then, if doesn't matter to you if you can see some of the glue through the glass, and sometimes you can't really tell there is glue there if the clear pieces are small enough, then you usually wait 24 hours/overnight before you grout like the time on other mosaic pieces..

Pick it up against the light tomorrow after the glass has set and see if you like it the way it is..
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #8029287

great I used clear silicone, tried to use the least amount I could .
I can already see through the clear glass :) i think ill wait till thur just to make sure.

other mosiacs this is the first ...LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 9, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #8029288

what a treasure you`ll have..not sure that we have that brand of glue here, will have to check it out!
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8295720

Compleatly off the subject but I am so curious. Gourd, how big is Big Al and how do you take care of him??
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 6, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8296509

Big Al is only 6 to 7 inches long maybe 8. He is a real character and I miss them greatly, we built pens for them and they live outdoors, right now they are hibernating. We are up to 10 box turtles and 1 aquatic yellow eared slider that lives indoors inside a 55 gallon tank.. He (Johnny) is also a attention hog..loves for us to pay attention to him.

The land turtles are in pens and I'll post my flicker account where my photos are and you can see their pens. Made out of 6x6x8 lumber really thick and strong, lined on the bottom with wire mesh so they cannot dig themselves out. They live out there and I feed them veggies/fruit/cat food and they need fresh water daily and a place to soak in. After a while they recognize you and know what time you feed them so they come out. Let me know if the link works or not, I'll send it to you in a dmail. Also my other projects are posted there, I have several projects that I need to take photos of and upload them up in flickr.

Here are the photos: /photos/40386602@N02/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 263 Feb 18, 2014 11:30 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America