-
AuthorContent
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 25, 2010
11:22 PM

Post #7496510

Hi everyone,

I was thinking using this to start seeds outside and wondered if anyone has used it and used it outside to start seeds.

http://www.burpee.com/product/seed+starting/potmaker-+1+potmaker.do

I've never used it and wanted to start seeds this Spring on my North-East exposure covered front porch.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Marilyn

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 26, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7498369

It works well, but you can also use a small juice glass or a 6" long piece of PVC of whatever width you would like the pots to be. I use 2", 1" was too fiddly for me, but whatever you prefer is fine. If you use PVC, slip a test cap over the bottom so that the end is closed off, and you have something to push against when you form the bottom.

To make 2" pots, I cut newspaper into 6" wide strips. You'll want the folded side to be the top side of your finished pot. When you wrap the newspaper around the pot, pull on it slightly so that it wraps tightly and neatly around the form, with about 1.5" of the loose edges (not the folded edges) extending beyond the edge of the form. Fold the loose edges in towards the middle, forming the bottom of the pot. Pull the pot off the form, and I glue the sides just a bit (picking tape out of the soil when the pot decomposes was tiresome), and paper clip them till the glue dries. You can also staple them.

I know the fancy ones sold by seed companies say you don't need to tape or glue, but my mother bought one of these, and I found they did need a drop of glue, staple, or something to hold them together. So...a fifty cent piece of PVC solved all my problems.

This is an awesome project for kids.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 27, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #7501005

Thanks for all the info Celene!

I really appreciate it!

No kids here, it will just be a great project for myself! If kids can do it, then I should be able to do it! :-))

I'll give it a try!

Marilyn

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 27, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7501652

I don't have kids either, I am fortunate that my friend's kids love to make paper pots and wash flowerpots. How excellent is that?

If you have questions about forming them, plmk and I'll take pictures. It takes a couple of pots to get the hang of it, but after that you can knock out enough to fill a couple flats while you're watching a TV show.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 28, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7504215

Nothing like good old free help (with the making and cleaning) Celene! :-))

Amazing! You can make them while watching tv?! (after having the hang of doing them)

I'm not going to try and do them now. I'll wait a couple of months (maybe March).

Marilyn

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 28, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7504803

Once you get the hang of it, very easy to watch TV while you're making them.
norcar
Summerville, SC

February 8, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7542382

What a great idea, especially for shoe string gardeners. Norcar a re-jioned old member
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7556149

Agreed. You don't need to spend $20 on a potmaker. You have an assortment of them in your kitchen. I used a pineapple juice can for the smaller ones and a cornstarch can for the larger ones.

One thing that I did do different was to fold the tops in as well. So say that you expect to fill your pots with growing medium within about a quarter of an inch of the top of the pot --you'd fold the top half-inch of newspaper inward. It helps stabilize the pot, and the growing medium holds it down so that it doesn't flip back up.

Thumbnail by dividedsky
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7556658

Do you use just one layer of newspaper...cut into strips and then it's wrapped around your "mold"? At first I was wondering how many layers of newspapers are used for each one, but in reality it would be how many times are you wrapping the strip around the mold to make a stable pot?
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7556732

Celene, would you say 1-2 strips?

I'd say, go with what feels right. If you use with too many layers, you'll know because it will be hard to fold the bottom under.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 13, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7556734

I use one layer of paper, folded double, then rolled the whole width of two pages. That'll be plenty stable to last for even plants that stay in the pot/flat for 3-4 months.

The last batch of pots I made, I stapled. I think I'm happier with stapling. Instant gratification.
cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7556882

Thank you both! Will be trying this for sure. Celene is your "two page" width using the Dispatch? That will give me an idea of how long you are using. ^_^ We just moved down here from Dublin, OH. Our papers down here are not that big.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 13, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #7556889

Hahaha...exactly!! I need to make more pots soon, does anyone want me to take photos? It's hard to describe, given how simple it is to do.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 13, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7557024

[quote="Celene"]Hahaha...exactly!! I need to make more pots soon, does anyone want me to take photos? It's hard to describe, given how simple it is to do. [/quote]

Please do! I look forward to seeing them!

Marilyn

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 17, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7567080

You can also used aluminum soda or beer cans as a "mold". I usually use one strip of newspaper, cut vertically from the pages. By the time I go around a few times on the mold, it's pretty sturdy. Then I fold the paper under on the bottom (and I have been known to use scotch tape). If it still looks a bit tall, I fold it over at the top, making a little cuff. This also makes it sturdier. Too much paper and it won't degrade very fast.
indianaguy
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7567403

Folks, I'm really new at this seed stuff. I tried seeds several years ago in peat pots - most everything got a fungus or something white-ish on the pots so I tossed everything. Couple years later, I tried those green plastic pots with six or eight on a strip. I had better luck and actually got to plant a few things outside which, much to my surprise, grew. But about 90% of the plants either fell over or didn't take well to my transplanting outside. Yes - I did try to harden them off.

Anyway - I'm trying those Cow Pots this year AND I bought a newspaper pot-maker (before I read this forum). I have seed heating mats, trays and covers. Should I put the paper pots in a tray and cover all over a heat mat? Once I have a true set of leaves, do you just leave the plant in the paper pot or do you move it to a larger pot - like the 4" Cow Pots I bought? I know I've probably spent more than I needed to spend but I was determined to give it one last try this year. We recently had a four seasons room built so I have a place with a lot of light and I also have grow lights to hang over the trays. One more thing, do you water them from the bottom? I would think the paper pot would just get soaked and fall apart. Thanks for any help.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2010
9:47 PM

Post #7567457

The key to seed starting: everything must be sterile. Here's a great article on that: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/277/

"Should I put the paper pots in a tray and cover all over a heat mat?"

Yes.

"Once I have a true set of leaves, do you just leave the plant in the paper pot"

Yes.

"do you water them from the bottom?"

Some people recommend that, no matter what type of container you use. I didn't know that last year and watered from the top. The newspaper held up just fine.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 17, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7567615

The newspaper will get wet no matter if you water from the top or the bottom. It may even sprout some interesting flora as well. Can't very well sterilize paper pots or can you? I tend to use them primarily for stuff that doesn't like to have roots disturbed during transplanting. Depending on your seed, indianaguy, once sprouted you may want to take them off the heat and grow a little cooler. I tend to water seedlings from the bottom unless I get incredibly lazy. Also helps keep the top surface a little drier.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 18, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7567929

I think even if you gas sterilized newspaper, once you put dirt and water in it and expose it to air, it's no longer sterile anyhow, so I quit sterilizing soil. I just use Promix right out of the bag, and it works just fine.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2010
1:17 AM

Post #7568020

That's so awesome that you guys have mastered the seed starting.

Even after sterilizing regular mixes, I failed - many times. I went to coir and even nuked it. That's what worked and I'm sticking to it!

I did notice some discoloration on parts of the newspaper pots. Could've been mold - couldn't tell. But it didn't hurt the seedlings.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 18, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7568097

I would never say I've mastered it, I'm not ready for my "The Germinator" t-shirt, but I've gotten better, with a lot of help from folks here, I might add.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 18, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7569199

Personally, I've tried store-bought seed starting mixes and used with mixed results. The one that works for me every time is from Gardeners Supply. Don't have to worry about sterilizing it. Yep, newspaper pots will get mildew-y. I wonder if spraying them with a peroxide and water mix will keep that to a minimum.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 18, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7569268

I water mine occasionally with the water/peroxide mix, and they still get a little moldy. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, so I don't worry about it.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 18, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7569658

Maybe mildew's a good sign since I'd want the paper pots to break down once they're planted in the ground.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 18, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7570142

They break down better than anything I've tried. I now use staples to hold them together, they disintegrate super-fast, too.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 19, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7570408

Staples disintegrate?
I agree with you on how quickly they break down. I've tried the Jiffy things and peat pots and I can still pull them out of the soil virtually intact a year or two after I've planted them.
indianaguy
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
1:44 AM

Post #7570587

Thank you all for your input. I finished assembling the plastic shelves; built a wooden structure for the top shelf so there was something from which to hang the plant lights; and, got everything in place and ready for the first seeds - this Saturday I'll be sowing the first Petunia seeds - Easywave Hybrid Starfish. In the next several weeks they will be followed by various kinds of Zinnia's, Cosmo's, Gazania;s, Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy, Sweet Peas, a really beautiful Morning Glory -Picotee Blue and I'm going to try some Autumn Major Colchicum (looks a bit complicated starting them warm then putting them into the fridge for 6 weeks (wife doesn't know that yet !) then outside in the Fall. Notice, no veggies - I bought mail-order tomatoes and peppers for the Earth Boxes which I used for the first time last year. Thanks again everyone !

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 19, 2010
2:20 AM

Post #7570657

Indianaguy, if you can get your wife on board, I cold stratify seeds in the frig by mixing them in a snack size ziplock bag with a moistened paper towel, and I tape the ziplock to the vertical inside of the door, in back of items on the bottom shelf. I write the date they should be removed on the bag with sharpie marker. It's not incredibly attractive, but it works and they're out of the way.
indianaguy
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7571355

Great idea, Celene. I think I can get my wife to buy that method. Thanks !

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 19, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7571379

Indiana, if she thinks she'll hate it, I'll take a picture of mine. I've also put all of the baggies together in one gladware container or deli container, that way there's no worry of dirt in the frig.
indianaguy
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2010
10:27 PM

Post #7587744

Ok gardening friends. I planted the wave petunia seeds in 3" cow pots in a tray with a capillary mat under the pots. Made a wick out of a piece of the cap mat and stuck it in a small bowl of water - other end under the cap mat in the tray. Tray was on a seedling warmer pad which I set for 75 degrees. I covered the tray and pots with a clear plastic cover that came with the trays. This all happened last Saturday 2/20. Today I have very tiny green shoots with two very, very tiny leaves in about half of the twelve pots I planted (didn't realize that a packet of wave petunia seeds only contained 12 of the little buggers). Do I wait until I have greenery in all of the cow pots or do I remove the cover now? My, God, folks if these things actually grow... wow !
trc65
Galesburg, IL

February 25, 2010
11:08 PM

Post #7587817

Indianaguy, They will grow just fine, in fact you'll be amazed at how fast they grow after a couple of weeks. Leave the top on for now until all have germinated. I usually leave the top on (propped up on one side) for a couple of weeks after germination. Those tiny little leaves have tiny little roots and need to be kept protected until you get one to two sets of true leaves. If you do vent the top some, be careful not to let the soil surface dry out until all of them have germinated.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 25, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #7587821

As long as you have a little ventilation, you can probably leave the clear cover on for a few more days until the rest of the pots sprout. I usually just set the cover at a bit of an angle to let a little air in.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2010
2:19 AM

Post #7588219

[quote="indianaguy"]My, God, folks if these things actually grow... wow ![/quote]

lol! Fun, isn't it?

NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7604706

I remembered that there was once a video on this website showing how to make those newspaper pots from cans. It was hosted by Dave himself. It doesn't seem to be on the Daves Garden site anymore..but it made its way to YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/davesgardenvideos

Hope the above link works.

Denise
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 4, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7604749

Usually once the seed of sprouted, you can turn off the heat mat as long they're growing in a room-temp space - say 65 to 70 degrees. A lot of seedlings are grown a little cooler after they're sprouted. I'm no help on the peroxide but it does make a lot of sense.
indianaguy
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7604441

Hi folks - another question. The wave petunia seeds I started in cow pots set on a capillary mat, under lights and on a heat mat have sprouted nicely. I've now removed the cover but I wasn't sure when to turn off the heat mat. The seedlings have only one set of leaves and are about a 1/2" or so high so far. I find that I'm filling the bowl I have set beside the cap mat (with a piece of cap mat acting as a wick) once a day. The bowl holds about a pint give or take. Somewhere along the link someone mentioned putting a bit of peroxide (I think) in the water to help with bacteria or fungus or something. If I got it right, how much in that bowl I mentioned? Thank you all !!

kcarneal
Del Mar, CA

March 19, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8436823

I started all my seeds this year in newspaper pots. I used a wooden pot maker because the bottom configuration pushes the folded newspaper up and into a concave shape that neatly holds it all together. Just a spot of non-toxic glue stick holds the top corner of each pot in place. I put the glue above the soil level just in case, but I doubt it would cause problems anyway. On my first try, I overwatered (from the bottom) and lost a lot of my seeds. The next time, I watered just twice (also from the bottom), and nearly everything had germinated by the end of the first week.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 20, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8438079

Re: heat mats - just heard a pod cast yesterday with Mike McGrath (You Bet Your Garden) about seed starting with heat mats. Says to turn off the heat mats as soon as the seeds germinate. Don't wait for true leaves. The heat is supposed to help the seed, not the resulting plant. Says you'll end up cooking the little plant. Grow lights are supposed to be about 1/2" away from the tops of the plants. I promptly unplugged my heat mats. Learn something new every day.
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8449805

The PotMaker will last for years! I use them instead of peat pots cause the roots easily penetrate the newspaper making planting a breeze. Paper pots are good for those vegetables and herbs that don't like root disturbance. A plus is the PotMaker bottom puts a crease while sealing the bottom newspaper fold that holds the pot together without glue, tape or staples. Another plus - you get to bury "bad news"!!!

Thumbnail by Garden_Sass
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 25, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8449848

Buster - You're right about the pot maker. I've had mine for close to 10 years and used soda or beer cans before that. I automatically slate all of those sensitive seeds to be started in paper pots, including morning glories (started indoors to get a head start since they bloom late here). And there's definitely lots of bad news these days to put to better use.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8450316

Here is a link for the peroxide. I've had zero damping off since I started using this for my watering until I get several leaves, and I mist with it, too.

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8473063

So maybe Im not keeping my petunia seed warm enough /?Is a heat mat recomended for starting petunia seed ?? mine just dont seem to be really germinating,a few are .during the day while the lights are on they are 73 degrees but 66 -68 at nite.Darn it all..LOL
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8473223

Hugger, give them time, without heat they take longer. I don't use heat under mine when I start them indoors and get nearly 100% germination from good seed. Our house gets very cool at night.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8475786

The Celebrity Ice petunias I got six to germinate out of 54 cells...They looked liked pretty colors = (,Silver wave 10 out of 18 cells,but the dwarf bedding ,and mixed are doing better now really seeing some growth now,maybe more will germinate..I think Im getting impaitent because of the cool spring cant get out side yet,hoping to this weekend between rain...much warmer for a day or two.what is good seed ??? Acckk I dont care for park seed ,im using burpee this year.i need to find a varity of wave I like an stick to it...LOL things sre really starting take off under my lights,good sign ,cant wait to dig in the dirt!!!!! any advice on impatiens germinating,no sign of them yet !!thanks Tamara
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 6, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8476507

hugger - sorry about the low germination rates on the petunias. I've had the same problem in the past but can't quite figure out what I've done wrong with them. Could it be petunias in general? I've always been a sucker for 'Lemoncello' (sp?) and had low germ rates with it.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 6, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8477137

I grow non-hybrid petunias and get great germination, maybe the hybrids are more difficult?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8477208

The wave petunia seed from Parks has 80-90% germination for me. Last year I bought from a different company and had horrible germination, wish I could find the name. My reds this year only had 50%, I called and they sent another package of seeds. It is too late for this year but I will have more next year.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8478264

Ive got good germination on my Hybrid summer madness double.Im going to start them much earlier next year.im thinking just petunias are picky..

any advice on Impaitens germinating ?
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8478807

[quote="Celene"]I grow non-hybrid petunias and get great germination, maybe the hybrids are more difficult?[/quote]

Same here. Planted some saved No ID petunia seeds I got from a round robin and the flat looks like a Chia Pet.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8480021

yes I believe hybrids are just harder to start.I need to find a reliable wave. 2 yrs in a row my petunias grew straight up in the air,dont want those again ,was weird. I have 5 varities growing ,will see which does best..LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America