AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7498080

This is the second time I've tried starting seed for the Tequila Sage. Last year out of 8 seeds I had two come up, one died shortly after transplanting and the other fell victim to my beagle tearing thru the garden after the cat.
I started another 8 and none have come up now after two weeks. I've got them in well drained mix of seed starter and Peat that I ran thru a sieve. Surface sowed, keeping around 70-75. I have them under lights, and if the house gets too cool add bottom heat.
I found this comment in PlantFiles
"If starting from seed as an annual. Sow seed at 61-64 deg F or after all danger of frost has passed.
Zones 9-10."
So now I'm wondering if I'm keeping them too warm.
I also started Rosebud sage, (salvia involucrata x karwinskii), and only a few of them came up under the same conditions. So maybe have them too warm also?
advice needed and appreciated.
thanks
mj
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

January 26, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7499095

Are the seeds dark brown or black, plump, and is there no evidence of mold?

Last year, my Salvia germination was quite low and slow in January, and that's with bottom heat and temps in the 60s under my grow lights. I also like to sow around a full moon, since that seems to have helped in the past.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7499216

Rich,
The seeds are very dark brown, plump...I don't think it's the seeds I think it's "me" not getting the environment right. I've got a few seeds left I'll try them at lower temps. Wonder if Ga-3 would help these?
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

January 27, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7500291

Did the seeds swell when moistened, and was a gelatinous, translucent outer layer formed? The seeds usually germinate after this has washed off. It serves as a blanket to preserve humidity.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #7501369

Rich,
Yes, they did swell and have the gelatinous outer coating. I'm wondering if I've had them (the tequila) too warm.( 70-75) Other salvia seeds germinated just fine S. coccinea Forest Fire all came up. Bog sages all came up, not all of the salvia involucrata x karwinskii did tho. I've got others I was wanting to start just waiting for these to get bigger and move them. If you've started the tequila from seed what temps did you use?
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7501927

What is ga-3? Do these seeds need cold period to germinate?
thanks,
Elaine
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

January 27, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7502776

GA-3 is gibberellic acid, and is used to break dormancies or revitalize old seed for one final try.

Cold treatment is not necessary for subtropical sages. They did not evolve in an area that required it.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7506269

thanks for the info,,,
andymaycen
Keaau, HI

January 29, 2010
2:33 AM

Post #7507194

I'm a little late to this topic...I have had luck with this Salvia from seed with temps. at around 68-70 at night and in the high 70s to mid 80s during the day...I have had troubles with them damping off, say about 20 percent. Hope this helps...

Andy

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7507930

Hi Andy,
Thanks, so far they haven't ( the tequila) even sprouted..to have to worry about damping off.I sowed them on the 10th of Jan. I've got 4 seeds left, I'm gonna give these a few days longer, but I think if they were going to sprout they would have. I've got them in a 65-75 range. Maybe the seed I got was just a bad batch...I may see if I can find some more, I'd really like to try this one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America