Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Rediscovering My Winter Wonderland: beauty of a winter garden

Communities > Forums > Article: Rediscovering My Winter Wonderland
bookmark
Forum: Article: Rediscovering My Winter WonderlandReplies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hillsidegardens
Nottingham, MD

January 26, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7498943

really enjoyed your article and share your observations and thoughts about wintertime in the garden, having just written an article for our Master Garden Newsletter on this same topic. I've come to love the garden in winter and snowfall is like the icing on the cake. The next time you are planning a garden bed, try covering the area with 12 layers of newspaper, soil/compost, and then 3-6 inches of mulch. Wait a few months and plant. Your husband will still have to move some mulch, but it is so much easier than digging. We haven't dug a garden bed since 1991. We axed and shoveled our way through the brick-hard clay soil of Maryland. I think my gardening career might have ended there if I hadn't discovered this new method at a local adult education class.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7501789

hillsidegardens, I just discovered that gardening technique two years ago. . .at Dave's Garden, of course. I've been digging away, adding beds, since we purchased this house 8 years ago, and now I'm kicking myself for all the unnecessary work I made for myself! The two beds I started with the layering method are thriving and much more weed-free than the beds I started by digging out the sod. I'm a believer! BTW, I move all the mulch myself. My husband tolerates my gardens, but certainly doesn't go so far as to help me with them! :) He's gradually coming around to appreciate them, as long as I make it reasonably easy to mow around them.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! I love to hear from readers!

Angie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Rediscovering My Winter Wonderland Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
nice article Dutchlady1 2 Dec 8, 2008 4:41 AM
the hidden beauty around us Bookerc1 1 Dec 8, 2008 11:44 PM
Wonderful memories! NEILMUIR1 1 Nov 27, 2009 6:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America