Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Cats versus House Plants: cat vs. amaryllis

Communities > Forums > Article: Cats versus House Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cats versus House PlantsReplies: 9, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 27, 2010
12:13 AM

Post #7500264

The cat won! You wait a whole year for Chico to bloom. Only open for 2 days. My cat was so excited that she gave it a kiss...the kiss of death. Pot fell, stalk broke, plant ok tho. Bloom now a cut flower. Cat outdoors for awhile.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7500292

LOL I'm sorry for your plant though.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

January 27, 2010
2:02 AM

Post #7500594

LOL!!

I'm still battling on...
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7500936

Amaryllis are listed as poisonous to dogs and cats, you are lucky the the only casualty was the pot.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/?plant_toxicity=toxic-to-cats
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/plant-list-dogs.html?print=t

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

My cat likes to nibble and shred the leaves, so nothing toxic is within reach.

My amaryllis overwinters in a closet. It goes outside in the warm weather. (Bella is an indoor cat)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7501227

Whew! Glad mine are outdoor kitties (with a heated, insulated house like ours, only without the houseplants).
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7501256

Your cats have their own house? Is it as fancy as the Hemingway cat house in the Keys? They live better than I do. My late cat, Max, was a big ginger tabby with extra toes like Hemingway's cats. My friends think I spoil my cat by knitting her wool pillow covers for the pillow in her little basket bed.

My cat has been occupied with a lurex threaded bath puff that was in a Christmas gift basket. She pulled it out of the basket and has been playing with it ever since. I checked it over for choking hazards and let her play with it. I am a loofah girl anyway.

It would be heartbreaking to unintentionally poison a pet with houseplants. So many common ones, including some culinary herbs, are on the toxic plant lists. Bella has her own plants - oats (cat grass), catmint, catnip. She tried to get to my tarragon, but it is out of reach. (It took me years to find real French tarragon, no one but me touches it.) I have been reading up on other safe plants for her. I also changed to a food for indoor cats with extra greens, in case her plant cravings were a nutritional deficiency.

Luckily, she is not interested in the dirt. She is content with the litter box.

She is excellent at catching bugs. I haven't needed to use the fly swatter with her around. She got one mouse that snuck in while we were moving in a new table. I was curious who would get the mouse first, the cat or the dog, and made sure nothing got broken in the process. My dog, Tiffany, aka the Great White Hunter, still has more kills to her credit. She got three voles today while I was clearing away leaves.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7502418

I had to bring in my spider plant this summer, as the baby spiders hanging down were just too much for the kitties to resist. Had to rescue some from the ground and plant them, and the poor, bedraggled mother plant now hangs safely indoors.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7504094

Bella would like a spider plant, not going to happen.

She was trying to get my Jasmine. She can't jump 12 ' in the air and finally quit trying. The poor plant has a difficult enough time inside for the winter.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7505282

Ghopper--- oooh, sorry about your beautiful flower, disappointing I know...
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 30, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7511874

Although 1 bloom broke off the other 4 blooms survived nicely on the stalk. They do seem to make lovely cut flowers and the company I just had was impressed by the bloom. So it wasn't a total loss.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cats versus House Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fun article Dutchlady1 6 Feb 5, 2008 5:11 PM
Great Job Lee Anne! plantladylin 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:35 PM
Your friend Slant..aka Rugcat rugcat 1 Jan 27, 2008 1:59 AM
cats and house plants hihosilver63 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:33 PM
Cats and plants baileyweb 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America