Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Kitchens: Kitchen Remodel

Communities > Forums > Kitchens
bookmark
Forum: KitchensReplies: 24, Views: 410
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7501979

My kitchen has been needing a major overhaul since we moved in here in 1989. Two years ago, after hunting season ended, my husband decided it was TIME to get started. My husband is a carpenter, and like the cobbler whose children have no shoes, or the mechanic whose wife's car barely gets around town, I knew that it would be a long drawn out process. I was determined to NOT nag him about however long it took to get the job done. He works hard all day long and enjoys hunting.

He mainly works on new homes so was much more up to snuff on what's "in" these days than I was. On the other hand, I spend much more time in the kitchen than he does, so pretty much knew what I wanted the final result to be. Every time I'd suggest something, he'd nix the idea and tell me why he didn't like it. There was quite a bit of frustration over this, but in the long run, we compromised and I'm delighted with the way the kitchen is now.

I've unloaded and reloaded the kitchen cabinets time after time over the past 2 years. I'm glad that I don't have to do that any more. Many other home and hunting projects have begun and finished since the kitchen began. So all in all, I'm pleased as punch that it's not taken any longer than it has to get to the point we are at today.

We've done the majority of the work ourselves and saved a ton of money. We had someone he works with come in to do the countertops, back splash and flooring. There have been some errors made that were easily enough corrected. I've taken over 400 photos of each step of the remodel and "documented" them in a slide show. I've put off sharing this project (except with a few folks here at DG) until this point because I wanted to be closer to completion before I started a thread about it. It's still not complete. We still have to have cabinet doors and drawer fronts made. We also need to get a new stainless steel refrigerator. Both of these are going to be a major expense.

Due to the number of photos, I will post a link to the slide show rather that posting the photos here. I hope you will enjoy seeing the transformation of our kitchen and welcome your comments and suggestions.

http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/2147752_2310203#imageID=30535761

Janet
UniQue Treasures

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7502272

What kind of wood do you have the cabinets made of ?
Looking good!
Bernie
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7502298

Thanks Bernie. It's Birch. I'm really pleased with the way it stained.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7502355

I'm hoping that eventually the white trim around the doors will be stained wood. We put that trim up before we trimmed the cabinets just to cover up where we'd taken the old trim off.

I love the extra counter space that is now there. It sure makes it much easier to prepare dinner.

We've always been a "2 fridge" family. Once the new fridge goes in, the second one will be removed and another small pantry will be built there beside the fridge.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 14, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7704773

I have a question, if you don't mind. What did you use for a roll on texture for your ceiling, and where did you get it? Thanks!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7709027

The nap on that roller was waybigo. It's 1 1/2" Merino Lambswool. I think we picked it up at either Lowe's or Home Depot. It could have been Sutherland's ( a local hardware store) but I'll have to ask hubby about that to be sure. He'll remember. He mixes his own mud with a paddle on a drill. Buys it premixed, but then mixes it up really good himself. I'm extremely pleased with the way the ceiling looks.

Having those cans lights was the best move. I was a bit leary of having all that light (65 W @ 12). But it doesn't have to be turned up to "operating" brightness. It's nice to know it's there if I need it though. :-)
Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 26, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7738676

Looks fantastic!

I've been documenting ours as well, my husband calls me the "kitchen remodel paparazzi"! lol
We have worked out a deal, if he is working in there, I must announce "I'm going to take a picture" before had so the flash doesn't make him think a fuse blew, the work lamps "popped", etc. lol!!!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7740711

Thanks Terry. We're really proud of it so far. Still need to get the doors done, but I am really enjoying using it. There hasn't been a thing I have thought later ... I could have done without that.

That's smart of you to make such a deal. I never gave the flash a second thought.
Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 27, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7742226

Just went through all of your pictures! Wow!
I choose not to have tile on the floor, my kitchen is very small and I have fibro, so I needed more cushion on my legs. We opted for a floating floor that mimics travertine tiles - it was easy to install, easy on the legs and waterproof. Not only that, but if I ever decide to change the floor, it will remove easily.
Our counter top is going to be solid granite.
I love your stove! I wish I had the room for that! i have a nice KtichenAid stainless steel stove, but it is only a 30".
All of our accent pieces will be oil rubbed bronze. We don't have central air, so a ceiling fan is a must, but we found a fantastic one that is only a fan and it tilts down and rotates. Two light fixtures with four adjustable lights on each will give us all the light we need, but I also got two single matching fixtures that will go above the sink.

We probably have another month or more before ours is done. You are so luck your hubby knows how to do all this! We're doing it all ourselves (the only exception to that is installing the granite, and finishing the new electric).

I have to figure out the grouting on the chimney stack and backsplash - it is tumble marble and I don't want the little holes and such that give the tile it's character to be filled in by grout. I spoke to a tiler and he said to put pieces of painters tape over all the tile I want to protect - that's alot of work, but I guess it will have to be done! lol
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7742481

You saw how many photos I took of the guys doing the tile. I'm sure they must have thought the same as your husband... "kitchen remodel paparazzi". They were really good about me being in the way with the camera. Most of them didn't speak any English though, so I can only imagine what they said that I didn't understand! HAHAHA Actually, to be fair, I should tell you that I grew up in San Antonio, so did understand about every 5th word! :-) They were really nice folks.

The softer floor makes so much more sense in your case. One great thing about the new tile... for Christmas Mom gave me a Swiffer Vacuum which has a mop pad attached. I can spray and vacuum as I go. That has become my number one kitchen gadget that I absolutely love! I actually enjoy (if you can believe that) "mopping" in the kitchen these days now that I don't have to lug a big bucket or fill up the sink and then stick my hands into that nasty water to let the drain loose.

I wish we'd put in a ceiling fan. Our ceilings are fairly low though and there is an AC vent in there, so the kitchen stays fairly cool.

I do love that stove. We got really lucky that our neighbors were moving and it wouldn't fit in their new house. Larry enjoyed working with Rick and he worked hard on both houses to get that stove into our house. We'd already been out pricing them and knew it would take 2 arms and a leg to get the one I wanted. Knowing how much we were already going to spend on the remodel, I didn't want to beg for a super stove. Thanks to the neighbors, I didn't have to. :-) It's really nice having 2 ovens for different temps. I've been collecting different styles of pans at Goodwills that will fit in the slim oven.

Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 27, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7742755

ok, let me see if i can do thiis right here. before and "so-far" after of mine

Thumbnail by Terrycw

Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 27, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7742771

Ok, that first shot is one of the main things that bothered me about my old kitchen - the stove in the corner made it impossible to use the power burner with a large pot. We had to notch the moulding in order to open the oven door as well. Standing at the stove blocked the entry from the front door as well. The cabinets were old 1950's solid pine, the counter top stained and chipped formica. You can't see the floor, but it was ripped and stained linoleum.
I'll post another before...from a different angle. This one is looking from the stove toward the opposite wall. To the right of this photo (I'll dig around and see if I have one of it) is a wall with an old Seller's cabinet my husband and I restored that houses all my bakeware, spices, teas (the tea posts you see are part of a 143 pot collection of mine - all vintage). I have an old stand alone food pantry in the basement since the few cabinets you see are all I had. The microwave cart was a yard sale purchase 10 years ago and holds plastic ware in the bottom, my rolling pins and the microwave. You can see how I kept my pots, pans and lids! Any big pots were in the basement! lol

Thumbnail by Terrycw

Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 27, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7742782

Ok, found one of the other side...the out cropped wall is the chimney stack.

Thumbnail by Terrycw

Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 27, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7742969

So now I'll post a few of right now. Same angles. We moved the stove across the room to the wall the Seller's cabinet was on, and put a 15 inch base cabinet next to it. It will have the wall cabinet above it by this weekend, along with an over-range microwave/vent and a "shorty" cabinet on top of that. The wall where the stove was is now all counter top and cabinets! yay! We moved the dishwasher to the left side of the sink in order to allow spacing for the lazy susan base corner cab I wanted. We ended that run with another floor cab which we had to do since the floor heating duct is right there. There wasn't any place to move that without causing some other issue so it had to stay - but I had an idea! The old butcher block I got as payment for an estate sale I did just kind of sat in the corner previously, with one of my Kitchen Aid mixers and my food processor on it. I didn't want to get rid of it, so I added casters and it fits right in that spot between the fridge and the end of the "L". The fridge will actually sit back a bit more than these show. So this will be a sort of rolling island for me. The granite will create a rounded edge on that end of the "L" as well.

Thumbnail by Terrycw

Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 27, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7743030

another angle...

Thumbnail by Terrycw

Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 27, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7743033

and the last...

Thumbnail by Terrycw

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7743579

Terry that looks great. I know you will be pleased to have the stove more user friendly. Your cabinets are very pretty. Did you all build them yourselves?
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7743595

The tumbled marble is pretty too. I had the guys cut out pieces of the granite counters to inset as accent pieces. When the light hits them it's so pretty. I know you are going to love the granite. What color are you getting for the counters?
Terrycw
Dunellen, NJ

April 27, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #7744233

Thanks so much. I am such an avid baker and I just love to cook (actually I've been writing a cookbook for more than two years now...), that I really needed it out of that corner!

Build them! Oh no! You give us way too much credit! lol We found a local place near us and their prices couldn't be beat. They are "mid-range" cabinets, which means they're not Craft Maid, but they're not Home Deopt stock either - somewhere in-between! Solid wood, the finish is called "Cinnamon Spice", nice all metal drawer glides with drawer "stop-locks" so they can't be slammed, and quality adjustable hinges. I am very pleased with them.
I saw that on your pictures the way you used the granite in your back splash - I love that!
Our granite is "New Venetian Gold". We're getting from the same place as the cabinets. Again, fantastic price, installed of course, and they include the under mount 14 gauge double stainless steel sink. When I asked the woman at the showroom if I could borrow a sample piece of the granite as I was working on all my decisions on matching things up, she went into the warehouse and brought me out a 4" X 4" piece and said, "here, keep it", so I've been carrying it around with me! lol
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2010
3:20 AM

Post #7744348

"When I asked the woman at the showroom if I could borrow a sample piece of the granite as I was working on all my decisions on matching things up, she went into the warehouse and brought me out a 4" X 4" piece and said, "here, keep it", so I've been carrying it around with me! "

I love this because I did the same thing. Weighted my purse down for 2 years with a sample of both the back splash and the granite! I just Googled New Venetian Gold and the color is beautiful!

jimsonburg
New jersey
United States

September 10, 2010
3:33 AM

Post #8090417

Kitchen Remodeling is a great investment in your home, and will be enjoyed every day. By remodeling your kitchen you can add value to your home, and at the same time save money with energy efficient kitchen appliances, or by replacing your drafty kitchen windows. When it comes to kitchen remodeling, you have many decisions to make.

Jimson Burg,

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 3:38 AM
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #8091165

[quote="jimsonburg"]Kitchen Remodeling is a great investment in your home, and will be enjoyed every day. By remodeling your kitchen you can add value to your home, and at the same time save money with energy efficient kitchen appliances, or by replacing your drafty kitchen windows. When it comes to kitchen remodeling, you have many decisions to make.

Jimson Burg,
[/quote]

Not to mention how much more you enjoy cooking meals in the new environment. :-)
jimsonburg
New jersey
United States

September 14, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #8098111

Kitchen remodeling tries to change mainly the visible part of the kitchen and it gives a new look. Most of the time it is done to save money, sometimes it’s also a nice way of keeps work and disturbance as small as possible.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2010 2:00 AM
MatthewWilliam
Sydney
Australia

June 23, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8650635

Home renovation has endless possibilities. To be a successful home builder, you should be armed with a carefully-planned system prior to starting the renovation. Renovations are those things you can’t place under the ‘easy breezy’ category, for it is one painful undertaking in the pocket and could be well failing without the proper implementation of the system or planning. Maintaining kitchen is the most important task for housewives so we are concluding with some ideas.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9022961

@ Terrycw ~ Congrats on the new kitchen re-do. When I saw the pics of the kitchen before you started replacing the cabinets, I actually liked the look of your kitchen cabinets & hardware. To me, that's the way a "country kitchen" should look like; I have the same black hardware, but not the kitchen cabinets. I've got a mobile home and am updating the look of my kitchen with new paint and the black hardware. I've got 3/4 of the kitchen painted, but have a few other areas still to do. The 2 big things that will have to wait until I get another job are the countertops and floor replacements. I'm still undecided on the kind of countertop material, but I do know that I want wooden floors in my kitchen. I think they refer to the style of kitchen I have as a "Galley" kitchen, which means that it's accessible from both the hallway & living room area. I've got a few decorative things up working toward my 'country kitchen' look I want. Slowly, I'm getting there.

Jennie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 199 Sep 4, 2014 7:05 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America