We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1069950/

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7505500

Good afternoon! Gan daginn! Guten tag! Bon jour! Buenos diaz! God dag! Did I forget anything?? lol

Thanks for the new thread Kelli :-)

hmmmm I posted this morning but it's nowhere to be seen, not sure what happened there. I have total mental block and can't for the life of me remember what I wrote this morning ... arrrgh ... waving hi to everyone! lol

It rained this morning, but it's been dry this afternoon and fairly calm. high around 40F / 5C.

Selma is feeling better, the antibiotics seem to be finally kicking in.

Iceland has made it to the quarter finals on the European Handball Championship in Austria by beating Norway today 35-34!! :-) I missed the game, which is probably good. Judging from the final scores it must have been a nailbiter. As you can imagine the nation's getting handball fever ;-) lol

Adina - so sorry you're still without water. I can hardly imagine how uncomfortable that is :-s Hoping for a thaw soon and certainly hope the pipes won't burst.

Celia - Monty's pilates is just too funny! lol Who's the cutie on the beach?

Another rerun from Jan 2007

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7505506

Thanks for the new thread, Kelli. :-)

I'm so sorry your pipes are still frozen, Adina!! We'll be praying for a warm front to come through, and that the pipes don't burst.

Ric, my parents live just south of the Muskingum River, and they work in Marietta, where the Muskingum meets the Ohio. They live way up on a ridge, so their house never floods, but they often have to find different roads to take to get to town when the water is up. They have a good friend who lives on the bank of the Muskingum in Beverly, Ohio, and although her house is up a fairly steep bank, the water has reached it several times. I'm pretty sure I would have moved after the first time!

My "little head cold" has turned into a miserable sinus infection. Ugh... I think it's starting to break up on its own... otherwise I'll do the the doc-in-the-box in our Walgreens tomorrow and get an antibiotic to hurry it along.

We have another chilly front coming through tomorrow. Earlier in the week, they were predicting lows in the 20s for Saturday night, but now they are just saying the "lower 30s."

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:15am CST (16 min ago)
Temperature 64 F 18 C
Dew Point 57 F 14 C
Humidity 77%
Pressure 30.09 in 1019 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 21 11 kts
G 18
Wind Dir ESE 120
Ceiling 10000 ft 3048 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 59.0F / 15.0C

Today Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight Cloudy. A slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening, then showers and thunderstorms likely after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent in the evening increasing to 60 percent after midnight.
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7505572

Hey Marylyn, I'm your neighbor to the east, in Baytown. Yes, I was happy to see the forecast temps bumped up a notch. I am definitely ready for consistently warmer weather. Of course, after about the second cold spell, I'm ready for Spring. I'm just anxious to get stuff in the ground. Hope your sinus problem gets better soon.

Don
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7505598

Hi, Don!! Welcome to the weather forum. :-) I'm ready for spring, too!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7505605

Rann, you forgot "Buna dimineata!"LOL
Kelli, don't tell me it snowed in California!!!!!!LOL
Marylyn, take care of that sinus infection and get well soon. How are the bunnies?

Thanks everyone for your caring words ! The plumber just called, it's on his way to our house. Keep your fingers crossed so he can get the pipes thawed.
Adina

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7505640

Howdy do! I wish I could speak another language. Sounds like you guys are having fun!

I'm behind, but I skimmed thru all the posts. Too many to comment on, but I commented in my head!

12 and it's going to get colder each day.

Most of our computer stuff has come thru UPS and Fed Ex. All we need are the modem, router, computers and monitors. I hope to be up to speed by Feb. 11th, after tweaking the settings and learning to navigate.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7505648

Ah, I didn't know that one ... always learning something new! Buna dimineata!

Sure hope the plumber can get your water running again Adina!

Marylyn - hope your sinus infection clears up soon.

Don - Hi and welcome to the forum.

I heard a blackbird (blackthrush) singing this morning! Seems pretty optimistic to me, but I sure enjoyed listening to him :-) Definately ready for spring although it's a looooong way off here.

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7505654

Sally - we crossed. Hi! I know you'll be happy when you'll get the new computer set up :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7505677

Hi Rann, Selma is the third person I've heard of on Dave's to have a really sore throat. My sympathies. It's hard on kids. I'd rather have one and spare them. I hope your days are going well.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7505756

Rann, the cutie on the beach is my grand niece, Rainey.

From last year.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7505868

Kal mesimri and A gute nakht

28 (Wind Chill 18)
Taking a quick break while the paint dries.

I had to pull the Greek Good Afternoon/Evening off the internet as I don't have my keyboard set up.

Never learned to read Yiddish so didn't know the Anglicized spelling.

In case it ever comes up...
Mayn shveb-shif iz ful mit veners. (My hovercraft is full of eels.)

Ric

dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7505885

Hello all, and thanks for the welcome. I am a 63 year old codger, but have been away from gardening for far too long. As a youngster, we had a garden that covered close to two acres. I vividly remember walking through the garden with a salt shaker. I hit the radishes, carrots, tomatoes, a few beans or peas, then maybe a cantaloupe or small melon. Ah, the memories.

As I was working outside yesterday, I heard several Mourning Doves. I love to hear them. Another thing that brings back childhood memories.

Adina, I sympathize with you and your frozen pipes. One of the most miserable times in my life, was crawling under our house in 20 degree weather, with a blowtorch, thawing out pipes. We had been out of town, and when we returned, everything was frozen; even the water in the dog's water dish in the kitchen.

Don
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7506198

Quoting:Kelli, don't tell me it snowed in California!!!!!!LOL

The picture was taken in California, in the Sierras (Sequioa National Park). It snows a lot there. I'm sure Crissy can tell you more about it than I can.

Quoting:Iceland has made it to the quarter finals on the European Handball Championship

Yay! Iceland has something to be happy about!

Quoting:My hovercraft is full of eels

What can you say to that?

Marylyn, I hope you get to feeling better soon. A sinus infection is only slightly less worse than a sore throat.

Someone asked the other day if subterranean termites are worse than other kinds. I don't know. They probably don't eat your house any faster than any other but it appears that they have to be treated in a more extensive way. The guy was here for about 4 hours, but he's done now. I'm glad it doesn't smell. The living room smells bad enough from the epoxy DH used to seal up the wall/window where it leaks. I don't know why it smells so much when it is outside, but that's how it is. DH can't smell it at all, he says.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PST on January 28, 2010
67 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 15 mph from the North

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7506290

Buenos tardes, everyone! ("good afternoon" as opposed to buenos dias which means "good day") Now enough with the foreign languages because that is all I know of Spanish! LOL

Welcome, Don, to the weather thread! We hope you will stay around--sometimes we have folks to pop in for a while and then we don't hear from them anymore--don't know if they just "lose" us when we switch from one thread to another or if they just find it hard to keep up with our craziness here--LOL. Since I am among the oldest here on this thread, if not THE oldest (68), some of the "young folks" around here call me "Mau" (for "ma"--the spelling is a story in itself) so if you see them referring to "Mau", you will know they are talking to me. I love it!
Ah, fresh veggies straight from the garden--how lucky you were!!
Rann: so glad Selma is feeling better.
Marylyn: so sorry about your sinus infection--get better soon! 64F would be very welcome here right now. It is currently 34 on my back porch and supposed to drop to 29 tonight with ice and snow. :o((
Gee, Ric, what are you going to do with all those eels? Forget the eels, what are you going to do with that hovercraft? LOL
Celia: what a cutie pie Rainey is! Love the lobster hat!!
Sally: 12F--brrrr and it's getting colder? double brrrrrr!
Kelli: lovely starting photo! Thanks for the new thread!

It was in the mid-40's when I got up this morning. It is now 34 on my back porch but feels colder because the wind is blowing slightly. We may get up to 2 inches of snow which is a lot down here but the bad part is the freezing rain that is supposed to start before the snow comes in.
We'll see if the weather folk are right about all this. Stay tuned. . .

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7506344

Just a quick note : we have the water!!! The plumber managed to heat the pipe and the ice melted. He used a hair dryer. I took pictures to show you.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7506346

Another one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #7506350

And the pipe with water running...although it seems ice, it's not just a bad picture!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #7506354

Yayyy!!! :-)
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
10:43 PM

Post #7506375

Thanks for the welcome "Mau". I plan to hang around for a long time now that I've found DG. What a neat place! The problem is there are so many great forums to be a part of. I can see where it would be easy to be overwhelmed, trying to keep up with so many threads. I have already started the weeding process. I found DG because I was enlarging my fish pond from bathtub size to about an 8" x 10" x 2 1/2' deep pond, and I needed some advice on some things. Got it too.

I have always loved weather watching. I have several real time apps on my computer such as a cool radar with feed from the NWS. Since we are in hurricane alley, I pay very close attention during the warmer months. The eye if Hurricane Ike passed directly over us. Talk about eerie...

Adina, sure happy to hear they got your water going again, obviously with no pipe damage.

Don
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7506849

Welcome Don!!! Great to meet you!

YAY Adina!! I am so glad you got water!!! Awesome!

Go Iceland Go!! Woo Hoo you can probably hear the cheers all the way from here!

And yes, it DOES snow in California. The San Joaquin Valley where I'm from, the last time it snowed there was in 1976, I was 4. It is no where near the ocean but the bottom of the valley floor where Modesto is, is at 85 ft above sea level. It snows just west of Modesto on the Altamont Mountain just enough to see it from the valley, that mountain is 1200 ft above sea level. Ya'll here of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, right? That mountain range goes way above 10,000 ft above sea level, which is also above the tree line (trees quit growing at 10,000ft because they can't get the oxygen they need up that high.) I-80 gets socked in all the time in the winter from just east of Sacramento all the way to Reno, US 50 gets socked in just east of Sacramento all the way to Carson City Nevada, and there are state highways 4 and 88, both of those always get socked in too. It also snows just North of Redding CA where Mt. Shasta and Lake Shasta is, those are huge mountains too.
Now, down toward Kelli where the Grapevine Mountain is that separates the San Joaquin Valley from the San Fernando Valley gets snow also. Bear Mountain is the southern part of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range that is very tall and gets lots of snow, that's just east of Los Angeles.
So there's your lowdown on California snow!

We haven't gotten any ice yet, they say that we're supposed to get it after midnight and tomorrow morning. I'm not planning on going to work, but we'll see.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2010
1:29 AM

Post #7506962

It's sleeting!! Good, it's starting tonight!
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
1:46 AM

Post #7507021

Nice to meet you too, Crissy. Stay warm.

Don
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
1:50 AM

Post #7507031

Hooray, Adina has water again!! It looks like you might have some stucco repair to do, though.
Well, Don, it is good to know that you plan to stay around. You are correct in saying that you could get overcome by all the forums/threads available. You just have to decide which ones appeal to you the most and stick with those. I mainly stay here on this weather thread and also on the Mid-South Forum. I have made many good friends here on DG. Ric has a fish pond and so does Kelli and you will have to ask Joey to tell you all about her wonderful job. :o))

Chrissy, thanks for the info about the mountains and snow in CA. My aunt used to vacation at Mt. Shasta almost every summer. She loved it there. It looks like you won't be going to work in the morning according to what the weather folk are saying. The temp. hasn't fallen any on my back porch since I reported earlier. It is still 34F and no precipitation so far, but the weather folk are saying it will start here around midnight or so.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
1:53 AM

Post #7507041

Full Moon Clear and 18...

Welcome Don!
We just got done doing a pond deal much like yours this Summer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157621934933281/

I started laughing when I saw the Hovercraft phrase as where I worked we made steering gear boxes for the military's...
Never know when that phrase might come in handy! lol!

Adina that's GREAT News!
Hope there were no problems w/ the pipes.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7507088

22* and feels like 12*. NE wind at 9 mph. Most of the snow will be just south of us. We will be on the very edge of the storm.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
2:16 AM

Post #7507138

Chrissy, how is it that it is sleeting at your place and not here? Of course, you are a little west of me but I thought this was coming from the Northwest, not the Southwest?
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #7507251

henryr10 wrote:

Welcome Don!
We just got done doing a pond deal much like yours this Summer.

Ric

Cloudy and 60 degrees. (How do you get that little "degrees" sign?)

Thanks Ric, You pond looks terrific. I hope I can get mine looking half that good. What I need is some larger boulders for my waterfall. I used several large flagstone pieces sitting on concrete blocks for the water surface. Then smaller rocks along the sides to channel the water. I don't have a waterfall box like yours either. That would be nice to have. Also, I am just now starting to get some plants. Here's a pocture of what it looks like right now. Remember, I started this little project about two weeks ago and have had several days of cold and rain.

Edited to say, my old preformed liner is in the back ground. I cut it down, thinking I could make a base for my waterfall, but it just didn't look or sound right.

Don

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by dgal

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7507603

"My hovercraft is full of eels." I'm still laughing over that one! LOL

Welcome, Don!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7507995

Mornin' All! :D Well, we're due to get the snowy weather late this afternoon. Ric, our drive way is still running w/water...it's on it's way to you! :D
Partly Cloudy: 27F
Feels like: 19F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 10
Humidity: 50%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 6 mph NNE
Sunrise: 7:29 AM
Sunset: 5:44 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
the warning is...SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY... they're calling for 8" now, & according to the weather guys we won't get any of the ice. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Welcome to the weather forum Don! Since you like ponds & weather, this is the place to be! :D btw Nice pond!
Mau, LOL! I didn't even wear a sweat shirt! :D It's so hot & humid in there I tend to get too hot. We were informed that we had the place Tooo clean! LOL!
Kelli, I guess we all have you to thank for this wet weather we're getting! Thanks! :D I love the snow, but I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the ice. Glad that you have gotten the termites under control!
Adina! YAY! I'm so glad that you got the frozen pipes taken care of...a hair dryer! Now who would have thought!
Rann, Glad that Selma is getting better. I'm like Sally...I'd rather me be sick that the 'youngens'. I could handle that much better.
Sally, You make sure you let us know when you get all you 'puter' stuff hooked up! I know that you're excited to finally get a new one! :D
Sharon, How is your weather? I know you're lurking! :D ~~~waving~~~
Kiska? Got anymore of those gorgeous alpenglow pics? Love them!

Stay Safe, everybody! And have a great day!
Joey

(hopefully by tomorrow I'll have some more snow pics!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7508193

Don: your pond is looking good. Do keep us updated on any further additions to your project.
Joey: "too clean"---some people are never satisfied, huh? LOL
Waving to the rest of you~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I am quite sure that Crissy is sleeping in this morning. Our freezing rain/sleet/snow event was delayed by several hours--must have stalled over Oklahoma. However, we have already reached our high for the day--when I took Friday (note to Don--that's my dog's name) outside at 5:30 a.m. it was 29F on my back porch and the precipitation was a mixture of rain/freezing rain. However, it is now 26F on my back porch and we are having a combination of sleet and freezing rain. This will continue throughout the day,with things getting worse as the day progresses. We are forecast to get from 2"-4" of snow in central Arkansas with the northern counties of the state possibly getting from 8" to 12" of snow. All the schools from the central AR area northward are closed--not that it is that bad now but in anticipation of the worsening weather conditions throughout the day. There are already several accidents reported on the freeway coming in to Little Rock from the Conway area (35 miles to the NW). People around here just don't know how to drive on ice-covered highways and roads!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7508265

Good morning!

Cooled down here as well ... Currently it's fair, 30F/ -1C, light breeze from SE at 3 mph/ 5 km/h. Beautiful day. Can't remember when was the last time we saw the sun shining.

Crissy and Kelli - thanks for the well wishes. We desperately needed something to be happy about! Since they got silver at the Olympics people are hoping for gold this time ... that would be nice. But regardless of their placing they've done an excellent job :-) Interesting about the snow in California ... reminds me of a Fawlty Towers episode when the american coulple stayed at the hotel. The woman was telling Mrs. Fawlty how wonderful the climate in California was - "you can swim in the morning and then drive up into the mountains and ski in the afternoon." "must be rather tiring" was Mr. Fawlty's reaction. lol I love that show. here's a clip if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9oNAkpc7Y&feature=related ... the weather discussion is about 2 min. into the clip ... the american's in the dining room start 30 sec. into the clip ... the screwdriver bit is pretty funny too ... It's a brilliant show ...

Don - very nice looking pond! :-)

Ric - lol eel in a howercraft ... lol

Adina - yay! you got water!!! So glad there wasn't any damage to the pipes.

Kelli - hope that's the end of the termite problem.

Joey - glad the visitors were happy and everything went well.

Have a good day!

Rann

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7508300

I just went out and took a photo of my front sidewalk--and they say this will continue all day. I can only imagine what it will be like by the afternoon. It is sleeting pretty heavily right now in my area.

Rann: I love those British comedies--they are hilarious!

This message was edited Jan 29, 2010 8:09 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7508365

I just finished going outside and filling up the bird feeders. It is now snowing heavily although the flakes are small. The entire yard is almost covered with snow
now--and within the last 30 minutes. If this keeps up, well...we will see!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7508473

Good morning! I'm up early today. My brother and I are going to have breakfast and run some errands. He broke his glasses and needs to get them replaced. He paid off his car yesterday and wants to celebrate! Woo hoo!

Don, love the pond. Someday...

Mau, stay warm! Are your plants going to be okay? How does Friday like the snow?

Ran, I LOVE Fawlty Towers! LOL John Cleese is hilarious. Thanks for the link.

23.2 F with 38 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 23 F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 18 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.27 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 100 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Frosty again today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7508524

Gonna have like 100 % of snow here... 24*...

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7508564

Thanks Don!
Your pond looks GREAT especially w/ only two weeks work!
The rocks are easy to come by up here...
can't dig 2' in most places w/out hitting clay and limestone. lol!
Add all the areas where they have blasted for hwy's and ramps.

Here's where we bought the falls filter/box and our liner.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/pond_waterfalls.asp

Here's the unit we purchased.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=BEC-7168810

I'm not recommending them as I have no idea how good their shipping record is...
They are local for me and we just stopped by and picked up our stuff.
I will say that their warehouse, though just weeks from a move to a larger location, was clean and well organized. I worked in shipping for 23 years and that does say a lot about a company.
(BTW to get the symbol
hold down ALT and type 248, numerical keyboard to the right, and release)

The temps are very cold here at 16 WC 5.
We might hit 23.
The snow is all south of us.
I can see it on the radar about 60 miles below us.

Here's the Warning we're under.
-------------------------------------------------------
the flood advisory continues forthe ohio river at cincinnatiuntil sunday morning.
at 5 am the stage was 47.8 feet. flood stage is 52 feet.
the river will continue rising to near 48.4 feet after midnight tonight then begin falling.
at stages near 48.0 feet, flooding occurs east of the city near
california, with some flooding near coney island and riverbend music
theater.
------------------------------------------------------------
I'll head out later to see what's happening.
The severe cold is locking up the smaller tributaries east of us and holding back some of the stuff we were supposed to get in this push.
If Joey and my Friends in WV get their 8" of snow then either a quick thaw or heavy rains we'll see another flood soon.

Here's part of the painting project we're doing out in the Sewing Room.
The Sliding Door deal worked out better than we had hoped.
It will be tomorrow before we can complete it... it has to cure...
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7508642

ALT - 248. Got it and thanks Ric.

We had a squall line come through at around 5:00 this morning; lightening and thunder and fairly heavy rain. Bo (my Australian Shepherd a.k.a. Frisbee Dog) jumped up into bed with me, shaking and panting. Such a wuss.

It was 60 (Cool, it works!) when I got up around 7:00, and at 9:30, it is 55 and dropping. The squall line has passed, but looks like some light rain coming. No pond work today.

Speaking of ponds, thanks again for all of the compliments. My previous pond was about bathtub size. Here is a photo from Last summer.

Don

Thumbnail by dgal

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7508703

LOL!
They all start out that way... then just keep getting bigger.
Do you have Koi?

Don you might want to consider making a Skippy Filter.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/4314048986/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157623182754861/

There are plans all over the internet.
Here's the best one I think.

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

As for Monty Python all I have to say is Ni!
Ric

This message was edited Jan 29, 2010 10:46 AM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7508770

Good Morning! Yes, we are not working today due to inclement weather.

You've gotten snow already Mau?? I want snow too!! LOL

It was coming from due west headed due east. That's why I got it before you Mau. It was sleeting almost all night here.

Here are a few pics I took this morning:

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7508937

I can't get anymore to post, so it will have to wait. Anyway, here's the weather report:

Currently At 10:36AM
Flurries
31F
RealFeel
22F
Winds: E
at 9mph
Light Snow
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 28 F
Pressure: 30.09 in
Visibility: 7 Miles
Tonight
Snow
Low: 20F
RealFeel: 10F
Sunset: 5:38 PM
Today
Ice
High: 34F
RealFeel: 26F
Sunrise: 7:12 AM

This retarded thing says we're getting light snow, I hate to say it but you can't hear light snow land on your roof!

Winter Storm Warning in effect until midnight CST tonight...

Today
Sleet...light freezing rain and rain. Snow accumulations up to 1 inch. Ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. Highs in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Tonight
Cloudy. A chance of sleet in the evening. A chance of snow. Lows in the lower 20s. North winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening...decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. The chance of precipitation 50 percent.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7509161

We're getting the same weather as Don, just a bit earlier. :-) I'll be interested in watching your pond's development, too, Don. We have talked about putting a little pond in our front yard. It probably won't happen this year, though.

We like Fawlty Towers, too, Rann. :-)

Have fun with your brother, Celia!

I love the door frame corners, Ric!! They look terrific!

Well, our little chilly front doesn't look like much of anything compared to what all of you are getting. It's down to 50 now, and still dropping. (I always do Alt +0176 to make the degree sign... I didn't know Alt +248 would do the same thing. LOL)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CST (8 min ago)
Temperature 50 F 10 C
Dew Point 46 F 8 C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.7 mb
Wind Speed 15 MPH 13 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling 6500 ft 1981 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 48.9F / 9.4C
6 hour max temperature ending 11:53am CST : 60.1F / 15.6C
3 hour precipitation ending 11:53am CST : 0.22"
Rest of today Cloudy. A chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning, then a slight chance of rain in the afternoon. Breezy. Highs in the mid 50s to lower 60s. Temperature falling into the mid 40s in the afternoon. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent in the morning decreasing to 20 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Mostly cloudy. Much colder. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph.

patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7509233

Hyv piv. In the last week temperatures here have fluctuated between -8 and -20 celsius. Today was -20; but didn't feel as cold as yesterday because the wind had dropped. Forecast to rise to a balmy -7 on Sunday. Finns are happy, saying 'a real Finnish winter. Haven't had one of those for several years.'

Marsue, you're just a strippling. Wait till you're my age.

Pat
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7509245

Ric - My cousin also has a tractor. We spent about a week this summer at his place up in Centerville, digging out his 1/2 acre pond. When I told him about enlarging my pond, he said he could bring his tractor over and we would soon have the entire back yard dug up.

While working on his pond, we took a break and drove our tractors up the steep part of a hill. We were sitting there on our tractors, talking when I said, "Darrell, do you think we will ever grow up?"

He said, "I hope not."

I am 63 and he is 61.

Marylyn - Aw come on, jump in with the rest of us and get started on your pond. Heck, I'll even bring my tractor over and tear up your yard too.

Don

Picture after the rain this morning.

Thumbnail by dgal

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 29, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7509272

Crissy thanks for explaining about snowing in CA, I thought this wasn't possible!
Ric, is that paint ? I love the pattern!
Don, welcome and thanks for the good words! I love your pond! Seems you fit here so well!
Mau, sleety ? Yuck! I hate sleet , but now I sure would like some after all this freeze!LOL How is Friday?
Rusty, good to hear from you! Miss your doggie pics!
Rann, congratulations for Iceland! Is it men or women? We are good at women handball. How is Selma doing?
Celia, congratulations for your brother! How is your DD doing with her pregnancy?
Joey, any new pics with JW?
Kelli, I hope you got rid of those termites!

A bit warmer here, but still freezing.It snowed last night with small flakes. The air pressure has dropped and got me a bad headache...ugh! I'm leaving the faucet on dripping a bit...just in case. Thanks again everyone for your support and advice, you are great.
Adina

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7509361

Adina it's actually a corner we bought that has the pattern carved into it.
We have some antique bullseyes but they are too big for this application.

Well no flood shots.
It's already going down... too cold!

South of us is a mess.
They just said if you are heading that way don't.
Memphis, Louisville, Nashville, Lexington the Hwy's are terrible... and we're still hours away from rush hour.

NOTHING here but cold.
We're at 17F or -7C

This is just the first (fill in the cracks) coat.
It's all cleaned up now.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7509689

Man, it's sleeting like crazy here! It had stopped for a while but started in again a little bit ago. I have talked to 3 people who live up close to the AR-MO border and they all have a lot of snow--8-10" at least and it is still coming down in their areas.
People are driving on the road in front of my house just like it is a summer day--crazy!! So far, none of them have ended up in the ditches!

Adina, Friday is doing fine but his little feet get cold when I have to take him outside to do his 'business'. Needless to say, we don't stay outside very long.

Is there any way you can make the degree sign with the keyboard on a laptop? Ever since I started using this laptop, I have not been able to make the degree sign because, as you know, there is no number pad on the side. :o(( and you can't do it with the numbers on the top of the keyboard.

patgeorge: What? You mean there is someone else on this thread who is "older than dirt"!??!!! LOL Of course, se_eds is older than I am but she hasn't posted on here in quite a while. Has anybody heard from her lately?

Well, here is a first--for me, anyway: Anyone ever heard of
"Unknown precipitation"? LOL Take a look at this--straight from TWC-

Current conditions as of 2:55 PM CST
Unknown Precipitation

Feels Like: 26 F (I beg to differ--it is 22F on my back porch right now!)
Barometer: 30.04 in and falling rapidly
Humidity: 85 %
Visibility: 3 mi
Dewpoint: 23 F
Wind: ENE 8 mph
Sunrise: 7:09 AM (not that anybody around here actually saw the sun)
Sunset: 5:34 PM

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7509702

Ric, you copy from me! lol... I has this wood border corners in my kitchen!

Still snowing here worst more inches!

Here's pic of squirrels been eating sunflower seeds bird feeders!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7509711

Rusty want go outside to chase the squirrels out

As Rusty said, " I gonna chase squirrels again, Mom!" I am not gonna let him chase it again and come back inside again is big messy of paws print in kitchen's floor...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7509728

Kitchen's wood corner border with trim...It was 3-1/2 yrs ago that I put this wood corner border with trim that put the french double door in my kitchen...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #7509961

Rusty, that looks great! So funny about Rusty. LOL JuJu is getting big!

Crystal is doing okay with her pregnancy. Life-wise, not so great. She has to move from where she is living with friends and move in with her boyfriends relatives for the time being. I told her she just needs to come home. Heh heh heh Their own room, built-in babysitter, more job opportunities for them both...What could be better? (sigh) She won't do it.

It may be a good thing because my brother I spent time with is having difficulties with our other brother he is staying with now. He asked if it was possible if HE could move in with us until he could find his own place. That may take a few months. We'll see...

The ponds look great. If we had one, it would soon grow larger, too! LOL

It's very smoggy out today. It's pretty warm but the air quality is nasty!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7510241

Adina - it's the men's handball team ... we're playing France tomorrow, if we win that game we'll play for silver/gold. Otherwise we'll play for bronze. As you can imagine the nation will be glued to their TV's tomorrow! France is the team that beat us in the final on the olympics so ... I'm guessing it'll be a nerve wracking game. Not sure I'll be able to watch! lol

Mau - I hate sleet too ... snow's much better.

Celia - sorry Crystal's having problems. I can see how you'd like her to be close to you ...

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
1:51 AM

Post #7510587

Mau does your keyboard have NumLock?
If so in that mode there are Numbers on certain keys which act like the Numeric Pad.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
2:03 AM

Post #7510617

LOL Rusty!
Yep that's the ones.
We even did another treatment somewhat like yours.
Rusty would love it here! We have loads of squirrels. Wu could care less. She wants Possums!

Looks like that feed bowl is well guarded Celia!

We are outside the snow band.
Looks like Lexington, 60 miles south, will get 3-7".
Haven't heard from my friend defoe, a bit east of there, yet.

Stay safe down there!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7510857

Very nice, Ric!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7510872

I'll pass that on to Robyn.
She does this painting... I just kibitz ...

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7511360

Snowed in & Dark
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7511621

34 and overcast. Still loving the ALT 248. I'm going to have to try other number combinations to see what else it will do. I'm easily entertained. Supposed to clear off later, so will probably get close to freezing tonight. UGH!

Don
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7511676

Don: congrats for not growing up! That's the way to stay young! LOL
Ric: are you sure you live in Ohio!--that talk about California and Coney Island makes me wonder!! LOL Nice corner trim in the sewing room. We had trim like that in our previous house all throughout the house. My laptop keypad does not have a NumLock on it. :o((
Rusty: LOL at Rusty chasing the squirrels. Friday wants to chase all the birds he sees through the window--and the squirrels, too. I keep telling him to forget it! That's some nice trim around your doors.
Celia: glad Crystal's pregnancy is progressing nicely--sorry about the other problems. It's only natural for mothers to want to protect their children and "fix" everything but it is also only natural for the kids to say, "Please, mother, I'd rather do it myself!" :>d
Dyson: well, it isn't dark here right now but we are "snowed in", so to speak. We have a layer of ice which is covered by a layer of light snow. The streets froze again overnight so everything is very slick. The entire northern half of the state is affected by this with some counties getting as much as 12-14 inches of snow. In my area we probably have 2 inches of ice and snow on the ground which isn't much but it is enough in our area to shut things down. Our high today will be lucky to reach 32F. My outdoor thermometer has been 'frozen' at 20F since last night--it hasn't moved from that point. It may be broken for all I know.
# Today: A few snow showers scattered about the area this morning, otherwise a good deal of clouds. Cold. High 34F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 30%.
# Tonight: A few passing clouds. Low 17F. Winds light and variable.

I got one picture of this male cardinal feeding on the seed which I sprinkled on my front porch. My batteries went "kaput" after I took this photo. It was taken through my window as well as the screen on the outside of the window.

Thumbnail by marsue

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7511712

Well, Everything is okay here and snow just about 6 inches as Rusty and Ju goes outside and Ju playing in snow again and zoom to inside!

It now 18.3*...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7511780

Here you go Don
http://rmhh.co.uk/ascii.html

If you are using Windows there's a built in Character Key also.
Clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Character Map.

Mau, Coney Island is actually in California, OH
Our main route if we are heading to KY runs right through it.
The Gate picture of Coney Island is what we see as we turn to head to I-275.
http://www.californiaohio.org/files/CaliforniaOhioHistory-optimized.pdf
You can CCP from the Character Key.

Cold here again today. High of about 25
No snow from the storm hit here.
Haven't heard from Bonnie yet in Eastern KY to see what they got.
We should see normal temps by Tuesday.

Off to work on the Room.
Thanks for the comments.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7511817

There have been some developments on the new buy out at Dave's.

Dave has outlined his duties in the IB organization.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072712/

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7511870

Light - & still snowing.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7512251

Ric, the door looks great! Congratulations for Robyn!
Don, thanks for the tip, I'll try Alt248.
Mau, poor Friday, he must be missing his walks! Cute cardinal!
Rusty, thanks for the pics! Ju and Rusty seem inseparable!
Celia, good to hear Crystal is doing well. I hope she finds a safe home soon. Maybe you can make her come to your place, like you said...keeping fingers crossed!
Rann, I just heard Iceland lost the game, but 4th place is honorable anyway. Our team didn't even qualified .

Sunny , but still freezing today. The weather liars said it would be 33F/1C today, but it were only 26F/-3C.
Sunset and Trica from last night.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7512267

Full moon last night...so funny, it was just over that power pole.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7512276

Closer look.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7512281

This was taken later, sorry it's blurry...I forgot to change the camera to the night option.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7512457

30.7 F with 38 for the high.
Haze
Windchill: 31 F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 24 F
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.14 in (Falling)
Visibility: 3.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 18000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7512598

Still light & still snowing.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7512639

Hi Everyone!!

Spent some time reading Ric's link.

Here are some pictures from last night and this morning:

http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100129#

Dang! We need to go to the store but it's only:

32.7 F
Overcast
Windchill: 33 F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Steady)
Clouds:
Overcast 1300 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft

This Afternoon
Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy in the evening...becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows around 18. Northwest winds 5 mph.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7512668

Adina - yeah we lost ... but to the reigning World and Olympic Champions so there's no shame in that ;-) We still have a shot at the bronze tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed! ;-) The girls were really excited about the game and kept rooting for "our boys" although they were behind most of the game. I felt for them (the team) , they were soooooo disappointed after the game ... the girls were fine ;-) lol

It was a beautiful day today, sunny, fairly calm and about 30F. Probably should have gone outside to enjoy it, but didn't ... I've been feeling pretty bummed out these past two weeks... trying hard to stay optimistic and positive but it's really difficult with the outlook being so grim ...

Hi to everyone!

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7512691

Rann, just know that all your friends are with you. Our hearts cry when your's is crying.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7512753

Thank you Celia :-) You guys are pulling me thorugh this you know ...don't know what I'd do if it weren't for you ...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7512763

Rann, I think Celia articulated the sentiments of all of us here on the weather thread. When I joined DG almost 3 years ago (in May), I never dreamed that I would "meet" so many caring people. Although I have been fortunate enough to meet several of my DG friends in person, still, I will probably never meet most of you in person but I still consider you to be my friends. Its comforting to know that I can always log on to DG and find friends to chat with or just to "vent" to if I am having a bad day.

The tow truck guys have done a booming business today in front of my house. There have been several vehicles that slid off the road into the ditch and the towing guys pulled out at least of three of them. However, traffic seems to be moving along okay now, cars going up and down the road with no problems. The ice must be melting off in spite of the fact that it is only 28F on my back porch.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #7513464

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Jan 30, 5:53 pm CST

Fair

23 F
(-5 C)
Humidity: 72 %
Wind Speed: N 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.20" (1023.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 15 F (-9 C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Snow melt on roads...
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7513566

9 F and Partly Cloudy this evening. We added around 4" of snow earlier this week--the first new snow since we had all that snow dumped on us in early January. It's been cold though, with lows in the single digits every night.
The big storm that's blowing across the middle of the country passed to the south of us.

Chrissy...I enjoyed the picture show.

Ric...I read the DG update thread. It will be interesting to see what happens here now.

Don...The pond is looking good. Looks like the round rocks have some nice color and patterns. I brought a bunch of really nice ones home one time from the north shore of lake Superior after vacationing there.

marsue...We have a lot of stupid drivers around here too. With all of the snow we get here you would think they would know better. They interviewed a cop in the local paper. He was sitting at an intersection and saw a SUV coming at a high rate of speed and knew it would never get stopped. He pulled out of the way just in time or the SUV would have t-boned him. When he pulled it over the women who was driving said, "I just don't understand it. I was in four wheel drive!"

Joey...Sorry to hear about the fish incident.

If any of the southerners on the weather forum have the inclination to move north into a bit more challenging environment I found a local house for sale. Check out the photos. Your own personal greenhouse and plenty of space for gardening!

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10030/1030355-455.stm?cmpid=newspanel1

Photo: Winter sunrise along French creek. (Photoshopped version)

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7513683

Hey, it's a village! We could all move in there. LOL Now we just need to come up with the $24. Maybe we could have a bake sale?
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
1:40 AM

Post #7513804

Crissy - you live in a beautiful area ... nice photos.

EB - wow that is some house! Not sure it could ever feel like a home though, just a "tad" too big ;-) lol

Just watched The Notebook and had a good cry ...ah to know love like that. Someday maybe ...

off to bed, way past my bedtime ... again

Rann

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7513853

Full moon just poped above the clouds. Very bright.
Still in cold mode here.
Low tonight below zero.
Got a good start on the big kitchen. Otherwise not much going on here. Just boring winter.
Good thing we are busy, nothing to watch on TV, so evenings are long.
Even playing on Daves doesn't take long.

Oh, I know, it's called cabin fever!
Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7513984

30 something, no breeze and full moon. I'm hunkered under a blanket since I'm cold. lol.

We reached high 30s today and since it was so nice I decided to wash my truck and get the 10 layers of mud off it. lol. Took almost 10 bucks worth to get it off and I didn't get nearly what I normally get. My fingers and toes were starting to get cold so I gave up. Went by work and a coworker saw me get out of my truck and told me that until today he thought my truck was older cause it was always covered in mud. lol.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7514246

That IS some place e_b!
But for that money I'd buy an Island... a WARM Island... lol!
Course w/ that size place you'd probably never go outside anyway!

We didn't break 25 but did have some Sun.
Back to normal after tomorrow.
Near 40 and mid 20's nights...

Here's the Pond refreezing... you can see one of the Carp.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7514260

Here's the Brook

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7514292

Rick and Rann...I just figured if enough DGers pooled our money we could ALL move in there! With all of those extra houses and 1,500 acres we should be able to fit just about everyone!

early_bloomer
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7514323

Dibs on the Basement!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7514578

Dark - again, stopped snowing.

Only need a small amount of space. Maybe a corner of the attic?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7514657

I want one of the big bedrooms with a fireplace and a view out the window---I also checked to see if the guy was married--thought he might be in the market for a wife--LOL--but, drat! all the good ones are taken! ROFLOL

EB: it's comforting, in a way, to know that all the stupid drivers don't live in the south! Nice photoshopped photo--I've never done that--will have to give it a try!

Ric: I'm sure your fish are wishing for warmer weather, too.

Crissy: nice photos of the ice down your way. Did you get that birdhouse when we went to Terrye's RU in Oct. 2008?

Currently in the mid-20's--all the ice on the road froze over again during the night. However, we are supposed to make it into the 40's today with plenty of sunshine--HOORAY-- so everything will melt and I can go visit some friends in Bryant this afternoon. (One of the "bedroom" communities just south of Little Rock, our capitol city.) My friends live about 50 miles south of me. I will be spending the night down there, most likely.

# Today: Plenty of sunshine. High 41F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy early with increasing clouds overnight. Low 23F. Winds light and variable
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7514692

It got light - not snowing - we do not need any more. Do not know if I can dig out enough to make work tomorrow.

Gotta make Sue (DW) & Dixie (DW's dog) some breakfast, may as well cook some eggs for myself at the same time. Not going anywheres.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7514726

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Jan 31, 6:53 am CST

Freezing Fog

15 F
(-9 C)
Humidity: 91 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 30.26" (1026.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 13 F (-11 C)
Visibility: 0.25 m

Yesterday, I shovel and slide shovel on my driveway and deck so it easy to shovel like slide forward not dig sometime... I has snow blower in my garden shed and never use for 2-1/2 yrs sitting there so I gonna do check oil and gas to start it... Hopefully!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7514773

Good Morning! Well, we got about 8" of new snow. Just think Ric! You get some more of our run-off! :D Altho, I know it won't be as much as last time.
Temp: 12F
Feels like: 3F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 7
Humidity: 79%
Wind: 6 mph W
Sunrise: 7:27 AM
Sunset: 5:46 PM
(a weather statement)MANY ROADS STILL SNOW COVERED AND SLICK THIS MORNING... TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE REGION IN THE SINGLE DIGITS AND TEENS WILL KEEP SNOW FIRMLY IN PLACE ALONG ROADS THIS MORNING. TEMPERATURES TODAY WILL STAY BELOW FREEZING IN MOST LOCATIONS DESPITE THE SUNSHINE. TRAVEL IS DISCOURAGED.

E_B, Thanks. Love the photoshop pic! Quite a different take on the original (which is one of my faves). Love It! And I agree that we should all try to buy that 1,500 acre place! I'm like Dyson...just a small corner. But I don't want anything to do w/ the main house! Too much space! Too much cleaning! LOL! :D
Rann, Sorry that your team lost, but w/the best team being the only team that beat them...what an ego boost! :D Hope you feel better really soon!
Dyson, How much snow did you all get? We're going to try & get out today & play w/ JW. :D
Marylyn, We could definitely make a village out of it, huh? :D More than enough room! :D
Pepper, Glad that you got your truck washed! Funny about the co-worker! :)
Mau, Have a safe & fun trip! Does Friday ride well in the car? Jack seems to hyperventilate! (poor poochie...can't go far)
Ric, The basement of that house looks like the perfect 'man-cave'! :D But I'd bet that you'd go out to check the ponds! ;) Me? I would have 2rivers! :D And what is 'kibitz'?
Adina, Love the pic of Trica in the sunset. Great! :D
Crissy, Nice ice pics. Luckily, it doesn't seem too heavy.
Celia? What is Isis doing? LOL! Is that a pose or is she sleeping? Love the dove pic.
Rusty, I think I would definitely dig out the snow blower! :)

Have agreat day, everybody...hope I didn't miss anyone.
Should have some really good pics this evening! ;)
This is our little road looking up toward the hous from the creek.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7514804

Rann I just saw Halldr Helgason of Iceland tear up the Snowboard Big Air in the Winter X Games last night.
Two perfect 10's and he's Rookie of the year also.
Not a big fan of X Games but I did get sucked in last night...lol!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7514857

Okay, Ric and Joey! I want to know something! How is it that Ric can get "run-off" from Joey's neck of the woods? I looked at the maps and I can't figure it out unless one of Joey's rivers runs to the west? !!!!

Bernie: so sorry about your cabin fever! I've got it, too, and I have only been inside my house foe 3 days. I can only imagine what it is like for you up in the "frozen north"!!!

Enjoy your breakfast, Dyson! Friday and I had scrambled eggs, bacon and toast and I had coffee, as well. :o))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~waving to the rest of you!

It was really foggy this morning but it was more like frozen fog. However, the sun is up there behind one of those clouds and it is slowly beginning to burn off the fog!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7514968

Close as I can figure 9 in of the white stuff. Bright now -very - and cold with 20 on the porch. I know that 20 does not seem cold too many here & I have myself been in much colder in years and places past, But I long for summer. Care to all.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7514980

21, sunny and calm. A very nice day with no wind yet.

I'm so far behind again. I did skim the posts and caught your answers to me.

Welcome Don!

I just finished 2005 and am starting 2006. My house and yard, years ago :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7514983

We crossed Dyson, nice to see you!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7515024

Iceland is currently playing Poland for the Bronze ... 6 minutes left and Iceland is only 2 goals ahead ... the suspense is killing us! Ok 3 goals ahead! Yay! lol

Ric - that's great! I didn't see the news last night so I hadn't heard anything about it.

shoot ... only 1 goal now ... this is killing me. We want that bronze!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7515050

Mau the Ohio River does run West.
It in PA where the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers met and runs to the Mississippi River at Cairo in southern Illinois.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7515062

We won!!!!!!!! Yahoo! They were determined to bring that bronze home ... they just proved that the Olympic silver was no fluke. They're just a fantastic team :-) Should have been a silver ... unlucky to play France in the semi-final ... Final numbers 26:29 for Iceland :-) At one point we were 8 goals ahead, but Poland got back in the game in the second half and really made them work hard for that medal.

Now for the weather ... lol

Cloudly, light breeze form SE at 5 mph and 34F, feels like 30F.

Still recovering from the suspense ... sheesh lol

Have a good day! :-)

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7515105

Mau, I live on the New River & it flows north from NC. When it meets the Gauley River, just south of Charleston, they become the Kanawha & the Kanawha flows into the Ohio River near Huntington.

Yay! Rann! :D

(Jack running)

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7515203

Rann, Yaaay!

Howdy Jack! Lookin good!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7515256

Okay, Ric and Joey--I am "unconfused" now---LOL but I still think it strange that rivers run north and west--they are supposed to run east and south!!! LOL Gee, what if the Mississippi River ran north???!!! LOL

Congrats to Iceland on the win!!

BP: what did you mean when you said you just finished 2005 and are starting 2006--are you that far behind in everything? LOL

Oh, Happy Day--the sun is shining and everything is melting off---hooray! I can get out of here and go see my friends ---and yes, Friday is going with me. He has had a bath and smells good again--LOL

This message was edited Jan 31, 2010 10:36 AM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7515307

Mau LOL. Oh, I hope not! I'm just behind on drawing my house and yard to scale each year.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7515364

Mau there's a mountain range between you and me...
Almost all the rivers in Ohio run basically S/W except up by Lake Erie
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7515471

The Monongehela and Youghiogheny Rivers (SW PA) run north most of their lengths. The Yough runs into the Mon and the Mon runs into the Ohio. PA rivers run in all directions.

E_B. that house in Clarion County looks neat. Actually, it's the 1500 acres that sound neat. Even if I was given that place, we wouldn't be able to afford the property tax on it. When I was a kid and hadn't experienced much yet, living in Clarion, Forest, or Warren County would have been my ultimate dream.

Rann, I saw the guy from Iceland win gold in Snowboard Big Air last night. I was rooting for him. In this event, they go off of a ski slope and do stunts in the air (hence the Big Air), then they have to land neatly. I think the X Games are entertaining.

I'm way behind here. I've been sick - just that sinus/ear infection thing that I get. (Remember? Achilles heel = Kelli's sinuses) The worst part is that it makes me tired. At least we have lots and lots of games on t.v. today. Marilyn, I used to be like you and didn't really give a flying fig about sports, so beware. It could happen to you. ;-)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 31, 2010
49 F
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 48 F
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 42 F

In that sequoia picture in the first message, did any of you notice the people at the base of the biggest tree? Look at them and you'll see that even the "little" trees near it are pretty substantial. The big tree is the General Sherman Tree, the largest living thing on earth. The "little" trees are fir trees. The General Sherman Tree keeps growing and adds to its girth every year (welcome to my world, GS Tree) the equivalent volume of wood as could build a three-bedroom house.

This is just an old picture that I had in the "archives". This is Kinzua Bridge, in PA. When it was built, there was something superlative about it, like the highest railroad bridge in the world or something. It was in a park and you could walk across it. It wasn't used by trains anymore except for tourist excursions. It was blown down by a tornado a few years ago.

Thumbnail by Kelli

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7515487

WOW Yea I think we need to have a bake sale so we can buy that mansion and all live together!

Check out this hotel you can stay at whenever you visit Boston!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60745-d647006-r52700387-Liberty_Hotel-Boston_Massachusetts.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Glad everyone liked the pics!

Rann I just want to re-iterate that when Celia said what she did about all of us, that is the absolute truth, you know we are all here for you!

Celia that's difficult with your brother wanting to move in... of course I've never been in that situation so I'm not much help, but I would have leave that room open for Crystal and baby.

ROFLOL Mau, I have always said I need to marry a dr, rich and never home! DARN you almost found me a very rich one!
Yes, that is the birdhouse! Me and Diana put it on the ground and I got busy with work and forgot about it for about a week and it got attacked by wood ants, I should have treated it with something, but now it has birds in it so I'm not doing anything to it. I just hope a snake doesn't crawl up the tree and get them this Spring.

I love watching the X Games but always forget about them. We got to watching some Johnny Knoxville thing last night, it's called Sonic something or something Sonic, I think.

Yay Rann!!! Awesome to get that Bronze!

I'm downloading some pictures I took just a few minutes ago, it's warming up and the sun is out and it was shining through the ice in the trees across the street, what a gorgeous picture out my living room window! I don't think the pictures did it justice, and now the sun is gone, but hopefully it will come back out so I can take some more distant pics and see if that works. It's going to take awhile to upload them...sssoooooooooooo:

33.6 F
Overcast
Windchill: 34 F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 30 F
Pressure: 30.30 in (Steady)
Visibility: 6.0 miles
Clouds:
Overcast 1100 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft

This Afternoon
Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 40s. East winds 5 mph.

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 20s. East winds 5 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7515510

Here you go!

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7515516

3 coats of Magnetic Paint under 3 coats of Chalkboard Paint.

The frame is not stained wood. It faux stained... paint over primer over a ripped 2 x 4

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7515524

Thanks everyone :-) France just won the gold, so now they're European Champions as well. The only game we lost in this tournament was against the champs! :-) Not bad at all!

I like winter sports too ... it's been all about the handball here the past two weeks, I normally don't follow it, but when we're winning a medal in an international competition everyone's watching! lol That gold medal must be on the news tonight ... I'll keep an eye on that. The x-games aren't on TV here and I don't have satellite :-( Starting to look forward to the winter olympics :-)

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7515534

Ric - we crosse ... that's really neat! :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7515543

Okay,Crissy--remember you are already married! I'm the one that's single
so that means I get dibs on the rich guy! LOL
Kelli: I do like ice skating and I also like to watch winter sports like snowboarding, believe it or not. I just don't particularly like football (except for my DGS little league football games)and especially not ice hockey. I don't like watching guys get their teeth knocked out, among other things.

gotta get ready to go visit my friends. I'll check in with y'all tomorrow. Everyone have a nice afternoon or evening or morning, depending on where in the world you are. :o))

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7515549

Ric, Where you got the Chalkboard Paint at? I couldn't find one only I saw is spray I don't use spray only paint is easy...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7515554

Ric and Rann: we crossed. Love the sliding doors, Ric. Love the message board, too. How neat!
Rann: congrats to Iceland, even if they did lose to France! Nice going!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7515569

The Chalkboard Paint is from HD.
It's Rust-oleum and is tintable to 12 different colors.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=168

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7515590

Kelli, have you tried a neti pot? I just got one a while back and like it. Sinus is my ''thing'' too. What a shame the bridge is gone. At least you got a picture of it. Boy, is it a long walk, and very high up!!

Ric, I learn something new from you all the time. I never heard of either paint, but I like what you did with them!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7515685

Yea, Rann!!! I knew they could do it!

EB, Isis was sleeping. LOL She does that all the time.

34.7 F with 38 for the high. We had some snow this morning but it's mostly gone now.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 35 F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 32 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1500 ft
Scattered Clouds 3200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Isis loves the sun.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7515738

Cold - but I can once again move the car if needed.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7515779

Ok, here are the ice pics of the trees across the street, the pics don't do it justice but you get the idea, especially if you look at the top of the trees and imagine how pretty it is with all that glistening throughout.

http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100131#

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7516347

It still slowly to melt today and road was clear to go but at shopping parking lot oh my it a little icy...

Rabbit's footprint in snow:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7516355

Bird's track everywhere by feeder...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7516627

Boy, what a chatty bunch for a Sunday.
I have to throw in, The Red River on the Minnesota - North Dakota border runs north into Canada through Winnipeg. It likes to flood in the spring because of thawing in Minnesota & still froze solid in Canada.

Didn't warm much today. Maybe later this week. July is coming!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #7516653

And it's only 47 days unitl the 1st day of Spring! Yea!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2010
12:12 AM

Post #7516715

Tuesday is groundhog day & ours can't get through the snow to check his shadow.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
12:14 AM

Post #7516722

July!!?? I'm not that patient. I'm waiting for April!

21 F this evening-low of -4F last night. We had quite a bit of sunshine today! Highs in the 20's forecast for the next 10 days.

Up here in NW Pa. Conneaut Creek, the stream that runs through the edge of my little town runs northwest and eventually empties into Lake Erie over in Conneaut Oh. Just to the northeast of me however, is a larger stream, French Creek, which starts north of me in southwestern NY and runs south, then southeast,before emptying into the Allegheny River which runs south to Pittsburgh where it empties into the Ohio River and heads west to visit Ric! George Washington led troops up French Creek during the French and Indian war.

crissy...Nice photos. Ice is nice! If you don't get too much.

Ric...I was aware of chalkboard paint but didn't know about the magnetic paint. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Kelli...That area is beautiful. My son is at Clarion University and loves it there. One of the best places to be in the east if you're into outdoor activities.
Yeah it was a shame the tornado hit the bridge. The state was in the middle of refurbishing it when the storm hit. Here is some info from the web.

History
When built in 1882, Kinzua Viaduct was the highest railroad bridge in the world. It was constructed as an alternative to laying an additional eight miles of track over rough terrain along the line leading to McKean Countys coal, timber and oil lands.

Built of iron, the original viaduct was 301 feet high, 2,053 feet long, and weighed 3,105,000 pounds.

By 1900, it became necessary to rebuild the entire structure with steel to accommodate heavier trains. That May, about 100 to 150 men working ten-hour days completed the job in 105 days. The new steel viaduct had the same measurements, but now weighed 6,715,000 pounds.

Freight traffic discontinued in June of 1959. In 1963, Governor William Scranton signed a law that created Kinzua Bridge State Park. The park officially opened in 1970. In 1977, Kinzua Viaduct received national recognition when it was placed on the National Register of Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks.

Beginning in 1987, excursion trains traveled from Kane, PA through Allegheny National Forest, stopping on Kinzua Viaduct before returning to its point of origin.

Although the bridge received periodic inspections, it was not until a February 2002 DCNR inspection that engineers decided that the structure needed a full-scale inspection. In June, DCNR barred excursion trains from the bridge.

As the inspection continued, engineers found that sections of steel were rusted through. In August, the bridge was closed to all traffic, including pedestrians.

Engineers determined that high winds could create lateral pressure on the bridge. The wind hitting the bridge could shift the center of gravity, increasing the weight on one side. Such an event could send the whole bridge crashing to the bottom of Kinuza Gorge.

Beginning in February, 2003, W. M. Brode Co. of Newcomerstown, Ohio, a national leader in railroad bridge construction and repair, began working to restore Kinzua Viaduct.

On Monday, July 21, 2003, at approximately 3:15 p.m., an F1 tornado (wind speed 73 112 mph) struck the side of Kinzua Viaduct. Eleven towers from the center of the bridge were torn from their concrete bases and thrown to the valley floor. Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

Repairs continue in an effort to stabilize the remaining nine towers. DCNR is now in conducting feasibility studies to determine what to do with Kinzua Bridge.

Visitors may photograph and view the bridge from the observation deck adjacent to the bridge. Two spotting scopes are on the observation deck for a close-up look at tornado damage and bridge repairs.

Photos here: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/kinzuabridge/kinzuaphotogallery.aspx

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 31, 2010 7:20 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7517305

Someone mentioned the taxes on "The Mansion".
I looked it up... in fact I found the listing...
Taxes really aren't too bad $58,000/Year...
But the article just touched on the stuff here...
It's AMAZING!
http://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSName=howardhannaPittsburgh&PRM_MLSNumber=OL103569

That is an INCREDIBLE Bridge Kelli!

Chrissy I love shooting ice pictures.
It's like a Fairyland!

We were right under freezing today.
No wind and SUNNY!
Wu slept on the Futon Swing in the Sun all day...

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #7517365

Above freezing today and sunny with very little breeze. I was almost ready to wear a t shirt and flip flops outside!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #7517453

I had that feeling too Pep.
Walked up to the store and the Sun was awesome!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7517621

Ric... A $58,000 yearly real estate tax is a nice chunk of change but is only .232 percent of the $25,000,000 property value. That actually seems insanely low. When compared as a percentage of property value I'm paying a much higher tax rate here and I bet you are too. That would make the tax on a $100,000 home only $232.
That real estate listing is amazing though. Did you click on the link at the bottom of the page and check out the photos on the next page?

The thing that had me shaking my head about the Kinzua Bridge was the fact that it only took 105 days to build it. It takes PennDot that long or longer to replace a bridge over a tiny stream (basically a culvert) around here.

pepper...I can see the headlines now: Woman Wearing Flip-Flops Found Frozen In Puddle. Authorities suspect she was on her way to a Jimmy Buffet concert.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 12:22 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7517629

And THAT has made me laugh the loudest today! Thanks, EB!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7517675

http://www.cincinnatiparrotheadclub.com/

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7517683

Hey! There's one by me! Thanks!!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7517852

Dark, Not snowing, 29

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 1, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7517930

Hi, guys! The snow is melting a lot here, it was above freezing yesterday and sunny.
I even made a snowman!
Ric, love the sliding doors and the drawing! Will it be a different one everyday?
Mau, have a great time on your visit!
Crissy, wow, so much ice! Great pictures , love your windows!
Kelli, sorry for the sinuses, get well soon!
E_B, wonderful shot !
Rann, congratulations for the bronze medal! Thinking of you and sending hugs.
Joey, I forgot about Jack...more pics , please!

Today it's sleeting...grrrr, bad walking out there! I hope the roads are safe for driving when I leave the office.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7517933

Mornin' Well I'll need to do some reading on those taxes! :D I may need some one to float me a loan! LOL! And Yes! A Jimmy Buffett concert! ;) Interesting read about the bridge! Thanks!
Well the snow didn't get cleared from my driveway like the last time...Garrett's been busy clearing up the farm & makin' money clearing up a lot of other folks driveways. He sure is a 'go-getter'. :)
Clear: 25F
Feels like: 19F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 16
Humidity: 68%
Wind: 5 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:26 AM
Sunset: 5:47 PM
A Special Weather Statement..BLACK ICE (enough said).

Hate to run, but I'm thinking I'll need to leave a little earlier than ususal.
Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

(eye candy)

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7518280

Joey, he's getting huge!LOL Thanks.

28.2 F with 41 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 28 F
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 23 F
Pressure: 30.10 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4800 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7518283

Sharon, are you there?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7518346

Buffett is kind of a phenom around here.
Just a few years back he would do a 3 day gig down at Riverbend.
Usually a Thurs-Sat bill.
As we live just minutes from there we saw Parrotheads everywhere we looked.

A Friend of ours worked Star catering down there and he was the only one she met who intimidated her.
Not because he was rude or a diva but just because... lol!
He sensed she was nervous and on the second night brought HER coffee out on the smoking deck.
They got on great after that.

Adina I love the Snowman!

Joey I agree he's a weed!

I posted those 'Mansion' links on the ORVG.
We have decided to buy it and have our Spring RU there.
Financing is still being discussed...lol!

Ric

Looks like we've turned the corner weather-wise.
Sun most of the week... near 40 today... mid 40's thru the week.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7518385

Good Morning!!!

LOL!! That's hilarious EB!

That window is in the bedroom where my computer is at that gets so darn cold, Dave blames the window, I blame the builders of the house not putting any insulation in that whole side of the house LOL!!

What a cool snowman!!

Well, I'm going to get to work, we have a staff meeting in a few minutes.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7518400

Shoveling snow is the pitts - just got the drive to the point that I am confident that reaching the street & open pavement is assured.

Whoa - my computer just rebooted by itself and I did not lose the post. Great something else to investigate before it dies altogether.

Someone please start doing the "warm weather" dance & if there are any minutes left on your dance card afterward the "behaving computer" dance could not hurt.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7518441

Sunny again the morning and already up to 20F after a low of 8F overnight.

Ric...Well, I guess I'll have to come to your Round-up.

adinimiti...Your snowman looks very content.

I bought a new cd by Peter Mulvey recently. It's called Letters From a Flying Machine because interspersed among the songs are spoken work segments--letters he wrote to his nieces and nephews while flying from gig to gig. One of them called-- Vlade the Astrophysicist --just blew me away and I found a link to it. I posted the link below. It's #5 on the little player on the lower left.

http://www.lotosnile.com/mulveyecard/mulveypop.html

I also pulled this from the web...

― Vlad the Astrophysicist‖ follows; the last and most staggering of the letters. ―It's a true story,‖
Mulvey says. ―I met Vlad at my yearly gig at the National Youth Science Camp. The gig
happens in a cave underneath West Virginia, and the Science Camp is an incredible story in
itself, but the letter came from Vlad, who is a real-deal astrophysicist from the Czech Republic.
We were sitting behind a motel drinking beer, looking up at the stars, and I figured hey - he's
an astrophysicist, he might actually be able to tell me whether there's intelligent life out there.
So I asked him, and he answered in plain English, and his answer floored me it was the single
most startling thing anyone has ever told me. So it had to go into one of the letters."
Mulvey follows Vlads revelation with ―On a Wing and Prayer,‖ a song in which the singer, in
the face of overwhelming awe, responsibility, and mortality, replies with a song of love and joy.
(from http://www.petermulvey.com/wp-content/uploads/PMulveyPressKitLetters1.pdf )

Photo...Taken at a remote lake in Canada on a wilderness canoe trip. It seemed to fit the theme of this post.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7518448

I used the wrong version of that image. here's a smaller one you can actually see.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7518514

Excellent e_b!
Thanks!
Here's Vlad

http://www.archive.org/details/pmulvey2009-09-25.early.1644.ats

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 1, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7518564

Great pics, E_B! Have to go on that website and see what about Vlad. We have this name in Romania too.
Celia, I think Monty says "Enough with pictures"!LOL
Sharon , how are you?

It's snowing again, more like sleet, but I'm afraid it might freeze over night...ugh! Still 25F today.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7519096

Of course we are getting snow again. It has warmed up a bit. 15 at 10 AM.
I drove my MIL to a Dr. appointment in Fairmont. About 60 miles round trip. 2 lane road & hard to see when meeting a semi truck. Otherwise no problem.

Got a lot done yesterday on the big cabinet job. MN Gophers were stinking up the place, so quit watching them. Checked in on the Pro Bowl. A joke! Commentator called it the semi-pro bowl. So many of the stars weren't there.

So we worked in the shop & listened polka music. One radio station has a number of old time music programs on Sunday afternoon.

Now it's back to shop.
Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7519251

My, my you guys were chatty yesterday! I had a nice visit with my friends yesterday afternoon and last night. I stayed overnight with them and drove backhome this morning.
Thanks, all of you for the very interesting info about rivers running north and west. I guess I have led a sheltered life LOL
Wow, that is (was some railroad bridge) too bad the tornado hit it. I hope they can decide what to do about it.

Joey: awwww, JW is quite the snow bunny! :o))
Bernie: glad you and the MIL made it to and from her appointment without any mishap.
Dyson: doing the warm dance here! When warm weather arrives, I will do the computer dance for you! LOL
Adina: great snowman--love the "hat" LOL (Does Cici ever wear that hat?)
Ric: let us know if the ORVG group buys the mansion--you might suddenly get a lot more members on the ORVG forum! LOL
EB: great photo---if you look to the right you can make out what could be the head of a wolf or the whole figure could be a knight on horseback.
as regards Vlad's explanation of why no communication from beings on other planets---a great explanation: "PSST!",
but I found another one:
"All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and its flower falls away, but the word of the Lord endures forever." I Peter 1:24 & 25. :o))

Sunny but still somewhat cold (to me) Currently 40F on my back porch. Patches of snow/ice still around but the roads are clear.
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7519303

Bottom line; rivers run downhill, lol
Don
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7519394

Most of them anyway...
I've been to the Ripley Museum...lol!
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7519427

You're right, Ric. I remember driving along side the Merced River, toward Yosemite years ago and I could have sworn it was running uphill. It was quite an optical illusion.

Don
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7519622

"rivers run downhill" LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #7519802

We have the Minnesota river near us. It basically runs SE, but at Mankato it turns & runs NE until it merges with the Mississippi in Minneapolis. Blue earth & Maple rivers both run north from Iowa to the Minnesota.
Here, way back when, we had Lake Agassiz that covered most of the state. As the glaciers melted the water had to go somewhere & since the state is mostly flat, water went in many directions.
http://www.cloudnet.com/~edrbsass/agassiz.htm

Sure am glad it dropped off this beautiful rich soil we have here.
Bernie
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7520365

Don I must have taken that trip at least 100 times, where are you from?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
1:27 AM

Post #7520384

Doesn't the Nile River in Eygpt run North? lol

E_B: Love the headline and I could actually see it happening to me. LOL. Weird stuff like that happens to me all the time. LOL

We reached middle 30s today for a high. When I was doing carry out for customers I went outside without my coat and they all thought I was crazy. Told them that compared to the below zero temps we were experiencing awhile back it feels pretty good out right now. They still thought I was nuts. LOL

Also had some spitting snow for a couple hours. Just enough to leave a few wet spots on the roads.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7520602

We started repairing some cabinets and had the saws going outside.
Nice in the Sun.
I think we hit 38.
Wu again spent the day snoozing out there on the Futon.

Thumbnail by henryr10

dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7521010

crissyr wrote:Don I must have taken that trip at least 100 times, where are you from?

Actually, I'm from Texas. That was probably forty years ago when I was in the Army, stationed at Ft. Ord. We hitch hiked all over that part of California; Yosemite, San Francisco, Big Sur, Carmel. What a blast! I haven't been back since, but have always told my wife that I would like to take her there.

I still marvel at the height of those waterfalls and giant Redwoods. You have to understand; where I came from in South Texas, the land is flat and the tallest tree is a Mesquite bush. I hardly knew what a waterfall was.

Edited to say, since this IS a weather forum, the temp here is 46 and cloudy. Had some light rain today. Tomorrow is supposed to be a little warmer and no rain, but the following two days are 60% chance of T'storms.

Don

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 10:19 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7521549

Mornin'! :D We had colder temps yesterday mornin' than I thought. I got out, finally made it down the driveway (nearly froze trying to get the ice off my windsheild), went by the bank & found out why! The temp at the bank said 7! I had to take a double-take! When I got to work I had to check all of the area temps & every body had strange & really different temps. Wierd!
Mostly Cloudy: 28F
Feels like: 28F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 19
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:25 AM
Sunset: 5:49 PM

Adina, we're supposed to get sleet & freezing rain today, too. Yuck! Maybe it will change to rain! ;) Love the snowman! He has personality! :D
E_B, Love what you're doing w/ the pics! How neat! :D
Dyson, Doing the Dance! ;)
Ric, He's growing in leaps & heaps! ;)
Thanks for the links! I need to sit down, take time to read them! I did a little, but need to read all! ;)
Mau, You're the Best! ;)

Here's mister 'sweet face'! lol! :D

Have a good day!

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7521550

Adina, If I could just get Jack to stand still! I could get more pics! ;) When we go outside he gets so excited, because he knows it's play time.

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7521811

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073353/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America