Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You: Pot Leeks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You
bookmark
Forum: Article: Leeks: Good and Good For YouReplies: 2, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

January 28, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7505794

Dear all, leeks have been grown in the UK for a long time, and competition ones are highly prized, to say the least.
My granddad used to grow what is called pot leeks up north, as they are highly favoured in the north of England. The normal leeks were grown in his garden, however the pot leeks were grown in large pots, single plants in each one! The soil had to be the exact mixture, as designated ny my great granddad, and contained untold manure and natural ingredients. They were then fed and watered constanly to make them grow, very big indeed.
As you know when you plant a leek seedling, you must never, ever put any soil around it. You simply make a hole and place the seedling in, then water it in. Do not touch it as it sorts itself out quite happily.
Also leeks are one of the only vegetables than can grow to enormous sizes and it does not affect the taste, which is remarkable.
Although often used as a side vegetable, it is fantastic in a suet and gravy pudding, or a lot of people use it with a cheese sauce on ham or pork.
The restaurants use it to shred and fry it, which is somewhat not right to me!
It is also easy to grow if you have enough water, and keep away the dreaded bugs.
Never throw the green tops away as they make fantastic stock, when they are added with other vegetables!
Regards.
Neil.

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7505842

Thanks, Neil!
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7518228

Hmm, didn't know you weren't suppose to cover up the seedlings. A friend brought me a fist full of seedlings late last summer. I used a pencil to make the hole and closed up the soil around each seedling. I'm enjoying my beautiful and tasty leek now! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yummy!!! threegardeners 21 Feb 1, 2010 11:02 PM
Dutchlady & leeks Helioman 0 Jan 14, 2008 3:32 PM
Growing and eating ejanelli 1 Jan 15, 2008 8:55 PM
Leeks bleek 0 Jan 28, 2010 12:06 AM
Thanks! Petalpants 1 Jan 28, 2010 5:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America