We will have a tech upgrade today between 1pm and 2pm EST.

Chicken catalogs

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I would like to buy some baby chicks, turkeys and geese, Where can I get some prices and find someone to deliver to Arizona??

Thanks in advance.

Lodi, United States

Meyers just sent me their catalogue...it is free and they ship.

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/catalog.asp

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

OH and what does this mean??

It will include straight run chicks.

Richmond, TX

There is a hatchery directory in the Sticky at the top of the forum.

Lodi, United States

It depends on the context.

It might mean they will include roos chicks to keep the other chicks warm.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Here is the link where it is used
http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_list_103.htm

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

and they will send a min of 15 turkeys I dont need that many.. UGGGG

Richmond, TX

Yep! That's how I got a present of 20 chicks for Christmas - and they are still in my living room in their brooders.

Lodi, United States

Meyers has a special small order program for chicks--but it does cost a lot.

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/page_221.htm

I did it and it worked very well. You have to request no roos for warmth--most hatcheries routinely use them...they have a lot of extra roos....but Meyers will add a small heat pad instead.

I think MyPetChicken and a few other hatcheries do something similar.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Why do you keep chickens in the house in Texas ?
Ours have been outside in the coop since they were a day old. Highest temperature here since then was in the 40's. Low was -29. Yes that's below zero.

Straight run chicks are not sexed. So you get both pullets & cockerels. I don't know about putting roosters in to keep them warm. The boxes they are mailed in hold either 25 or 100 chicks. The 100 box is divided into 4 spaces. So if you buy 50, two spaces would have chicks, others are empty.
I definately don't think they would give roosters away. Where we buy chicks roosters are still about a $1 apiece. Pullets were $1.80 each.
We get ours from Hoover Hatchery in Iowa. They don't hatch most breeds during the winter, just afew of the laying types.
Bernie

Lodi, United States

Oh, they definitely give rooster chicks away, Bernie...which is good if you are ordering layers and want to eat the roos...but most people don't want them.

If you order roos, they are almost always cheaper than pullets. If they are meat lines, both are desirable. But they always have extra roos from the laying lines. So they use them to keep the other chicks in smaller orders warm. They even warn you they will.

Poor little roos.

Ferndale, WA

She is exactly right Bernie, they give away Roos big time. Some of the hatcheries will give ten roo's free with a fifteen pullet order in order to keep the pullets warm in cold weather shipping. It's a fact, often they have way to many roos and just want to get rid of them. Hay.

Richmond, TX

I hope they mark them for identification.

Lodi, United States

I don't think they always do, porkpal. At least some of the hatcheries say you have to request that roosters are marked.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

my pet chicken sells in smaller quanities.. they are not as expensive as the others when you small order..
I have ordered from them two years and was very happy with my order.

straight run is all sexes.. and no they are not marked.. in fact when you order different breeds they are not marked either.. lol you have to figure out whos who.

The extra free roos.. Hay is right as always.. the hatcheries are overloaded with roos, they sell a LOT of pullets and I believe the last report I read roos were 65% of chicks born.. wither they give them away for warmth and allow you to dispose of them in whatever way you see fot, or they have to dispose of them. It looks better to say "FREE".. it feels better too when you see all those cute little chicks.. until they grow up and start crowing.. and you suddenly realize.. what am I gonna do with all these roos?

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Ok dumb question here, are the Roos you talk about older then the babies? I guess I dont understand for warmth, or is it you order 15 chicks they give you 15 chicks and a few extra they know are roos for warmth?

Lodi, United States

The latter. Apparently 25 chicks are able to generate enough warmth in shipping to survive...so if you don't want that many, some hatcheries will sell you fewer, say 15, and then make up the difference with 10 free chicks that they know are roos.

They always end up killling large numbers of excess roo chicks anyway--so this is a good solution for everyone....except the poor tender-hearted customer who can't send them to freezer camp has to re-home a dozen unwanted roos.

Richmond, TX

You may be better off just ordering more pullets. At least someone is likely to want those that you don't. Try the feed store. They may trade with you.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We got three roosters with our pullets, but it was probably because they were sexed wrong. I put them on Craigs list to give them away. No takers, so will end up as cat food.

Lodi, United States

Try freecycle, Bernie....there is always someone looking for free stuff there.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

so this is a good solution for everyone...except the poor tender-hearted customer who can't send them to freezer camp has to re-home a dozen unwanted roos.

Yep that would be me...
I am trying to figure out how to buy 2 turkeys, without buying 15. LOL I would be the tender hearted and have all them running around until they are old and grey

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We usually buy straight-run and end up with about half-and-half. The cockerels go in the freezer when they're big enough. I tried buying only pullet Cuckoo Marans from Murray MacMurray, but they only came straight-run. Since we'd lost most of our previous year's chicks to aggressive older hens, I wanted some extra pullets, so I also ordered a smaller order of Cherry Eggers from Cackle Hatchery. The fewest I could buy was fifteen.

Whichever place you're thinking of ordering from, check out Garden Watchdog first. That's always a help. Still, I saw lots of negative comments about Murray MacMurray and we've always had a really good experience with them.

Lodi, United States

Murray McMurray had a bad run a couple years ago when some of the chicks that they were sending out had AE and they didn't own up to it. A lot of people felt seriously burned. MM kept blaming the customer for the chick deaths, until enough people had sent their dead chicks to universities (at their own expense) for necropsies and received definitive diagnoses. By then their other chicks had been infected.

So, anyway, up to that point MM had a very good reputation. And the disease itself wasn't their fault (it is egg transmitted and the chicks don't show symptoms for a couple weeks). I think it came from some breeder they had contracted for those particular eggs. They just did not take responsibility when they should have.

I think since then they had been as good as any of the big hatcheries.

I had problems with goslings and coccidiosis from Murray McMurray a few years ago, and they refused to take any responsibility for it. Granted the goslings were a few weeks old by the time they started showing symptoms, but we had raised goslings, and lots of chickens, for years without problems. We pulled most of the goslings through with Amprolium, but it was touch and go for awhile there. MM've been fine since then.

Richmond, TX

The only hatchery that I have ordered from is Ideal Poultry. I have never had any problems, so far.

Lodi, United States

I've used Meyers and Ideal and both were very good.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Where the heck is Lodi ?

Lodi, United States

Well there is one in Great Britain, Italy (the original, I believe), New Jersey, Ohio, New York, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Texas...but the one I inhabit is in California--the one of 70's music fame.

There was also a "Battle of Lodi": "The Battle of Lodi was fought on May 10, 1796 between French forces under General Napoleon Bonaparte and an Austrian rear guard led by Karl Sebottendorf at Lodi, Italy."

I am not sure of the outcome.

Bridgewater, ME

I just got a new cackle catalog has anyone ordered from there?

That's where my Cherry Eggers came from. They were fine to deal with.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.