Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives: Great article

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive AlternativesReplies: 3, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7506891

And thanks DG for featuring this article again. It is good to review this time of year. I have been using heat mats for years and they do make a difference.
Just remember don't plug them into the timer your lights are on. The heat mat should be left on all the time until the seedling are ready to be removed form heat mats permanently. I would think the heat and cold going on and off would not be good for the seedlings.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7507422

You're absolutely right. I use a timer for my lights but not for my seedling heat mats... that's where a (heavy duty) power strip for your seed starting setup can come in handy!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7508192

critterologist wrote:You're absolutely right. I use a timer for my lights but not for my seedling heat mats... that's where a (heavy duty) power strip for your seed starting setup can come in handy!

Or a husband with an electrical back round. LOL

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7508752

Right on both counts! Just don't take shortcuts with safety when it comes to electricity... That's why I get so adamant when people post about using household heating pads or electric blankets etc. for seedlings... Just because you got lucky for years using that sort of thing doesn't mean you (or somebody else) won't end up with a house fire.

I know you & I (and our DH's) are on the same page here! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very interesting doccat5 18 Oct 10, 2009 5:50 PM
Multiple heat mats woofie 7 Mar 6, 2009 9:10 PM
Cycad Palm Franki_2008 3 Feb 3, 2008 6:25 AM
Keep reading, you just never know! Tink2U 1 Apr 21, 2008 10:40 PM
heat pads DIRTYGIRL71 2 Oct 24, 2009 12:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America