Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Colorado & India. "ineedacupoftea" meets "dinu"

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 74, Views: 925
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7507723

This thread documents two things:
1. A few pictures and notes of botanical interest to this Colorado Gardener.
2. Thoughts and shots of the acquaintance of very distant, yet close, DGers.

Hello all;

Some of you may know me, some of us may have met in passing in Denver at TrishaG's house; and some of us have yet to meet.
I haunt the forum occasionally, but especially leading up to our biannual meetings.

I wanted to share with you the beautiful power of gardens, like 'Dave's Garden,' and moreover the internal common value of nurturing green things, to faciliate connexions. I recently returned from a trip through Southern India. An extraordinarily diverse place, it was a month of just about everything and anything that could happen. It may be easier to find worlds NOT to describe Soutern India, like "boring."

The gem of the trip was meeting a fellow Dave's Garden Member, Dinu. He and I had had a very brief correspondence regarding an orchid ID a year or so ago by e-mail. Upon realising I would be in Mysore, I was elated to have the chance to meet a fellow DGer, which I have done many times, but not on the exact other side of the Northen Hemisphere.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2010 12:21 AM

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7507734

I remembered the lighthearted mood of the posts by Dinu I had read on DG over the years, and just had to meet this fellow.

Dinakar is a native Mysorean, so he was able to share with me all sorts of fine details to enrich my understanding of the place tenfold. It was also incredibly nice to chat plants (you know, that plant nut thing we gardeners do) with a like soul.

The above picture is his workplace. thoughtfully designed and surrounded by some lovely formal gardens.

Dinu and Kenton (myself). Photos courtesy of him. (We stand side-by-side with the aid of computer effects...)

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7507739

Beware a thread full of photos. I've invited Dinu to comment and share as well.

Just an aside: India is good at food. It may be the finest thing the country has to offer. It's that good, and all the time. Who wouldn't be at home where teastalls are all over every street, busstand, and train platform? Anyhow...

Mysore Palace clad in its ephemeral light display.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7507744

I was going to be all thoughtful and careful and organised, but let's throw that out the window.
Here are some pictures.

A formal public garden that really speaks Indian garden style, in Bombay. Which has been renamed Mumbai.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7507753

A quick water shot of the Harbour in Bombay. Note the big hotel peeking into the left periphery. This is the Taj Majal Hotel that was bombed by terrorists last year. (rather, November 2008). I ate in a cafe where, as a token of resilience, they proudly left the bullet holes in the concrete walls. Indians are a peacful lot, and I fancy that hate is an imported commodity.

Oh yes, and the gate of India dominating the view.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7507760

A quick evening-passing shot of a slum to remind us we are in India before all sorts of flower pictures...

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7507762

Another example of a public garden. (Elephanta Island)

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7507765

Vegetables are grown in the scarce and valueable ground between the train rails and retaining walls. Near Bombay.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7507770

Castor Beans are all over India in the way that Kocia is all over the Intermountain Western US.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7507777

A familiar plant we see at Denver Botanic: These Lion's Tail (Leonurus spp) are among the goats and other plants that inhabit the old Government Fine Art School's Ruins in Aurangabad, Maharashtra.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7507788

Who isn't a sucker for a Thunbergia grandiflora eating a wall in Anjuna, Goa?

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7507794

As a result of overgrazing in many places, dominant plants are often thorny or poisonous. Fun thing, I don't know what it is. The amusing Sensitive Plant, Mimosa pudica, is a very common weed in some places I visited.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7507798

A double-fun tree growing in Goa whose flowers do something pretty amazing when maturing.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7507799

A big aroid (fruit) whose seeds I kick myself to this day for having mindlessly discarded.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7507801

I rented a bike.
But I was still outdone.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7507807

After that bike somehow managed to find itself in a canal and didn't work as well as it did before (which at best was near-fatal), I rented another and biked out into the country to stumble into the Parsekar Organic Farm, supplier of Organic Spices and Fruit. Coconuts, Bananas, Betelnuts, Chickoo, Papaya, Nutmeg, Clove, Love Apple, Pineapple, Ginger, Turmeric, Tomatoes, tulsi, and black pepper in quantity.

Here stands Mr. Parsekar next to a mound of fine termites working as on-site compost experts.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #7507808

Nutmeg right off the tree.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7507810

Palm trees grown in pots woven of palm leaves.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7507814

Nurseries are universal.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7507815

Flower Show in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. The state of Tamil Nadu likes to grow cutflowers and is good at it- supplying India and SE Asia.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7507819

Nilgiri Hills. Tea Plantation Country. Beautiful people of the villiage Salas

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7507822

A day hike in the hills. I'll be back.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7507826

The hills are often foggy.

For fun, notice the non-native Scotch Broom (which we Xeriscape folk like) at the bottom of a proper dweller of the area: the largest species of Rhodie in the world: R. arboreum, which also grows in Nepal (where it is rightfully the state flower)
This is specifically Rhododendron arboreum Sm. subsp. nilagiricum (Zenker) Tagg

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7507831

After the high of being in the mountains, I had a couple days in Dinu's hometown before I flew out of Bangalore (Bengaluru).

A great Norfolk island Pine on a University Campus.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7507832

I was extremely fortunate that the day was a holiday, so Dinu had the day off and we could scoot around town. He showed me some fine places.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7507833

Now, ladies and gents. Welcome to the other "DG": Dinu's Garden.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7507835

He is currently collecting Hibiscus, and has some very fine selections.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7507838

This is where I hope he'll post some pictures of his own later. Realise it is the dry season in the savannah of Karnataka, and spring is thier best flower season, too. I get a kick out of resting and dormant gardens more than most. But for contrast, perhaps Dinu will post a few shots of his garden in its peak season.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7507839

He's rigged up some ingenious water collection.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7507840

Some orchid and Pond action. I loved his blue sacred lotus.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7507842

There was a campaign on DG some time back to send him a camera with good macro capacity.

So here he is with his trusty machine!
This is one of my favourite shots.

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7507843

I love to see a gardener's favourite garden implements.

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7507844

What a fun trip and how wonderful that DG brought gardeners from all the way across the world together. Thank you for sharing.
ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7507847

(Hey friend, guess what plant I found at the Bengalore airport?)

I'm still guessing until I take a moment to ID it. A Morning Glory relative. So lovely...

ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

January 29, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7507849

Namaskaram.

dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7508774

Nice Kenton. Glad you made and enjoyed your trip. Thanks for posting all the pictures.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7508984

It is good to see your face Kenton. And Dinu you too! It is so interesting to see India up close. Thanks Kenton.
greenjay
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7509327

the pictures are all extraordinary, but I really like the last one.

Glad you made it back in one piece!
picante
Helena, MT
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7509483

OH my! Those are wonderful pics, Kenton. So fabulously exotic!
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7509715

Thanks for posting, Kenton - nice pics & it looks like you had a great trip!
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7510405

How fun it is to experience a bit of India through your narrative and pictures! And as said above, lovely to 'see' both you and Dinu. That rhododendron is amazing. I love seeing the flora and fauna of other locations. Thank you so much for sharing!

I have a question that is a bit OT. Kenton, I thought you worked at DBG, but your username says you live in Grand Junction? I just wondered if I have mixed things up somehow.

Brenda
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

January 30, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7512610

Oh, Kenton, how nice that you got to meet Dinu! He is one of my favorite people on D.G. I'm going to go over this thread and enjoy it slowly.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7512726

WOW. I'm so happy to have happened onto this thread. I love to get a sense on the ground of the plants and people of India. Please post more pictures if you have them.

I had no idea there was a rhododendron that grew in India - what a learning experience for me!
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7515828

Thank you for all the pictures Kenton!
mulchmania
Ennis, MT
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7516260

Just found this, gorgeous! Glad to see you here again Kenton.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #7516896

Kenton, thanks for the tour great to see pictures of you both and the gardens.

Donna
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7518766

bsavage, Kenton worked for WCBG (Western Colorado), which is in Grand Junction.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7518910

Oh, thank you DwiD!
ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

February 3, 2010
10:13 PM

Post #7526763

Thanks for looking, all. I neglected to mail Dinu the internet address of this thread; fool me!
Roybird, Dinu is well worth being a favourite person among those in the world at large, he is mine at present.

I very much look forward to seeing everyone at the meeting. Good to read you, Donna.

A couple Tamil gentlemen, who proved to be pleasant and very educated, at temple on the day they were to travel south for pilgrimage.

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #7527720

ineedacupoftea, and so do I, made my cupa, but forgot to drink it, think it is very cold by now.

Wanted to tell you the little gingko, is growing nicely, well not right now, it is winter. Leaves were pretty last fall. It is at the west end of my windbreak row. Thanks again.

Donna
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7527888

Wow, what an adventure, Kenton. Love the Leonotis, I have seed pods saved from a few years ago and will try to grow them again this year. Glad you could hang out with Dinu too.
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7528080

What a wonderful tour of your trip to India and meeting Dinu! Thanks Kenton!

Harper
pejiduta8
Denver, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7533438

Oh, I miss India. I have been twice, mostly around eastern and southern Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Thanks for sharing your photos and blurbs about your trip.
ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

February 8, 2010
3:20 AM

Post #7540307

Good choices, eh, pejiduta? Kerala was perhasp the most relaxing and laid-back state, with the friendliest folk. Tamil Nadu gets my goat, though.

My pleasure, all.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #7540348

Hi Kenton,
Thanks for hooking me up here to this thread. Am leaving for office in a few minutes. Oh my, another new week begins! Will return to this thread.

Dinu
pejiduta8
Denver, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7540898

I am already thinking about our next India trip. We want to spend time in Orissa.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7541606

In the evening after we returned from the Palace, Kenton and I were discussing various things aided by pictures from my PC.

It was fantastic to have him the other day. I was elated when I got an e-mail and then when he landed here he called me over phone and then I went to pick him up from the hotel - quite near to home, then showed the palatial building of my workplace, showed some heritage buildings along the route to my home. I was amazed that his keen eye was noticing plants and flowers as he pillioned on my scooter. At times I would stop and let him have a closer look! A real gardener.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7541621

I took him to Kukkarahalli Lake which is also close by - most places are close by in Mysore and I'm lucky my home is in the heart of this fast developing city and just a mile from Mysore Palace and a little more to my work place. That we come home for lunch every day is no wonder!

Here Kenton collected some grass seeds from near the lake. "Waaw"! he used to exclaim when he saw something interesting and then he would go near and examine/explore followed by another "waaw" or a short "wow".

At the lake - the famous walkway where famous personalities have walked over in the distant past admiring the beauty.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7541635

After admiring this hibiscus, he helped himself with its photo. I had asked all my flowers (only a few this dry season) to be ready for posing as a special guest from DG would arrive. It was garden first and then we entered indoors.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7541640

Admiring the Holmskioldia shrub. I could not get its name from the tip of the tongue when he did that. "Wow" he said again.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7541691

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/Dinu/943/

My DG blog is here. Some pictures as the garden developed in the 'new half' of our plot. Have not updated it as I had wished to. May be it is time I did that. This serves me as a reminder.

Kenton,
This is the spiritual/divine hill I mentioned to you about Ooty. This was taken by a member from our group (I had not toured). They had organized a spiritual program in its vicinity. The Masters say those hills that have pointed edges belong to divinity and have great spiritual energies around them. This is the Hill of Sage Agastya (in Hindu scriptures).

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7541703

A collage of before and after shots of my garden.

Thumbnail by Dinu

lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7542282

Dinu, thanks for joining in on this thread! I enjoy your pics over on the photos forum too. So awesome that you and Kenton got to meet.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 9, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #7543768

Yea lisabees it was such a pleasure!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7552820

Thanks for letting me know about this thread, Dinu. Kenton, I truly envy you getting to meet Dinakar! He's one of my first friends here at DG and someone I admire. I know how happy he was to finally get to meet a DG member, an occurance we take for granted in the US.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 14, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7557979

Kenton must be busy with his new job which he must have secured last week.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7558867

Hi Dinu and Kenton, great that you got to meet eachother. And for the rest of us to share your pictures. I have been out of town for a few days and so taking a little time to catch up. Again thanks for the pictures, your new garden walkway looks fabulous.

Donna
ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

February 16, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7564735

Ah, who doesn't love before and after shots? They make it easy to ... "nostalgiate." (A word coined by our Dinu)
I should like to visit the hill of Sage Agastya next time.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7569436

What brought you to India, work or pleasure trip?
ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

February 20, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #7572924

Exploration. Next time it'll be more work.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7586598

Just returned from my trip to Chandigarh. Our team could not fare well and win enough to be in the semi-final, but on a personal front my performance was okay. Others need to perform too to take us to victory. But it was not.

It will not be a tour that our team likes to 'nostalgiate'.

Have taken many photos in that city as well as on railway platforms. Will post them slowly, so be in touch!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9263486

http://dinusyarden.blogspot.in/2012/09/rare-visit-of-gardener-from-usa.html
Finally, I was able to put up in my new blog, the visit of this amazing gardener.

Dinu
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9263514

Well hellooooo Dinu . Good surprise to see this come up from my 'old' watch threads. Love your blog and really like the second photo of you standing near the Lake.

Hopefully I will find time later today to return and read some more of your blog.

Busy busy week here preparing lots of veggies from the garden to be frozen and then enjoyed this Winter.

Be Well my friend,
Shirley

This is titled Tennessee Treasures

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2012
11:20 PM

Post #9264169

Great work of art, Shirley. Did I link you to my daughter's blog on f/b?
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9264661

Yes you did. Tnx

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America