Photo by Melody

Article: Move on with Cybister amaryllis: Keukenhof!

Communities > Forums > Article: Move on with Cybister amaryllis
bookmark
Forum: Article: Move on with Cybister amaryllisReplies: 2, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

January 29, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7507763

Dear Sue, a great article again! My mother used to like a poinsettia for Christmas and my father an Amaryllis ( I call them Hippeastrums). It was about the only thing he could grow in the winter apart from Hyacinths, and they do look fantastic.
I took the wife to Keukenhof in Holland, this amazing place was what my wife wanted to see, as she is tulip lover. I was bored after hours of seeing untold tulips, as I have planted enough of the things.
They have a big glass area for shows and displays. When we went, there was a Hippeastrum display on. It really was quite stunning, everywhere you looked there were hundreds of them by each of the top Dutch growers, on separate stands. Colours I had never ever seen, compared to the boxes with them in you buy over here.
They can as you say be saved with a bit of patience, and are well worth the effort.
Regards.
Neil.

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7507785

Royal Colours Amaryllis has a Facebook page and they have some truly jaw dropping photos of some of the new varieties on there. I've recently ordered Orange Rascal, Helios and Viridi Rascal. I've grown these for years, they really got me through the Maine winters!

My Night Star opened it's first flower of this season yesterday :)

I'd love to go to Keukenhof!

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

January 29, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7507800

Dear Sue, although taken with an old digital camera here is one of mine from Keukenhof, and it is not all tulips, believe me.
Regards.
Neil.
p.s have lots of these!

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Move on with Cybister amaryllis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Happy Hippys peteklat 3 Feb 1, 2010 10:02 PM
Cybister Capers Caedi25 8 Aug 30, 2010 7:42 PM
Cybister Julegaut 0 Feb 2, 2010 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America