Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives: Price?

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive AlternativesReplies: 8, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7508314

Critter, about what price are the heat mats and thermostat controllers anyway? And is it cheaper to order one thru mail, or to get one at the local nursery? Thanks for the info~
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7508740

You'll find both 20x20" mats (sized to fit 2 flats) and controllers priced at around $50... I've seen them about the same locally but have also seen them priced even higher. Parks often has good deals on them if you purchase mat + controller or multiple mats.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7508806

Thanks for the information~
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #7510501

I've seen the heat mats on ebay as well...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2010
2:28 AM

Post #7510687

Yep, and I'm sure you can get them for less than $45-50... that's the non-sale price I found just now at Park's. :-)
Aschnapp
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

February 1, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7518490

I bought a heat mat, plug tray with plugs, and watering tray and dome all in one kit for around $35.00 at Lowe's - its perfect and hold about 72 seedlings.
Critter, you haven't mentioned too much about humidity (unless I missed it) but this dome provides enough humidity and with the heat, it is a perfect environment for the seed and seedlings.
I also wanted to add that when I worked in a greenhouse we always had the fans going - a breeze stimulates root production so the plant becomes more stable - kind of a precautionary thing they do on their own! You don't want them wind blown, but just a gentle movement.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7518600

You're right about humidity & fans being helpful. I'm not saying I didn't miss any good tips, as I'm sure I did, but you'll find more details like that in other articles in this series. The "Seed Starting 101: Sowing Seeds" article gets into humidity and domes. Fans were discussed in the Damping Off article, but I didn't get into root/stem strengthening. It was hard keeping the articles under 1000 words -- that's the limit Dave first suggested, and I've been pretty much following it since I figure it's a good "over coffee" length... much longer than that and I know people's eyes would glaze over, LOL.

But the fact that I can't include every possible detail is another reason I love the interactive nature of publishing here... people add all manner of helpful comments, questions, and tips in the threads following the articles! Thanks!
CandiceKay
Centerville, SD
(Zone 4b)

February 4, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7528465

Awesome article and discussion. Thanks. May just have to try starting some seeds this year.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7529155

I hope you do... it's such fun! And remember, you don't need a lot of fancy equipment... even a heat source is optional for most seeds... just figure on longer germination times for things like peppers -- sow them sooner and sow a few extra seeds. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very interesting doccat5 18 Oct 10, 2009 5:50 PM
Multiple heat mats woofie 7 Mar 6, 2009 9:10 PM
Cycad Palm Franki_2008 3 Feb 3, 2008 6:25 AM
Keep reading, you just never know! Tink2U 1 Apr 21, 2008 10:40 PM
heat pads DIRTYGIRL71 2 Oct 24, 2009 12:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America