Photo by Melody

Welcome Mat: Wish I could say new from FL., alas I'm new from 14*. Brrrr!

Communities > Forums > Welcome Mat
bookmark
Forum: Welcome MatReplies: 23, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7509195

Hi All!!!!
I removed some personal info from my 1st post.
I have been gardening since I was 10 years old. I am a voracious reader and gobble up anything I can find on gardening practices in particular.
My gardens do very well for me and I am at the point of thinking I can now grow roses. That's one of my new projects.
I live on 10 acres with a small private lake. Two acres are gently landscaped, by that I mean there are lots of plants and flowers, but not an over abundance of hardscaping.
I manage about 2,000 sq, ft of vegetable garden and many flower garden areas.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 7:21 PM

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by kcs_mom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7509539

Welcome, Michele! Wow, that sounds like heaven on earth to me!
I was born in New Orleans, and have lived in several other places, but now am in the northernmost tip of Kentucky, se we're not too far apart. I live with my parents on a wooded hillside, and we have 25 acres.
Have fun here at DG, and if you need help with anything, don't be afraid to ask--this is the friendliest bunch of folks!

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7509544

Welcome Michele,
I hope you will feel very at home here. I'm Stephanie. There is a whole 'nother world here at DG. Don't be afraid to ask ANY question here. You will be greeted with very generous and knowledgeable answers to anything you need to know. This a very loving, kind, and generous community here.You will make some wonderful friends, guaranteed. Check out your local area forum also for info on when your local RU (round-up) is. This is an event that you will love. Many DG members in your local area will attend also. You all get together eat, trade plants, and have fun. I love the RUs. Anyways I won't ramble on anymore. Just wanted to say Hi,nice to meet ya, and welcome. Hope to see ya round the forums.

Steph

BTW-saw your "note" on your home pg. LOL won't we all. Don't be too hit or miss though you may miss some plant/seed trading.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2010 2:31 PM
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7509619

Thanks for the welcome !

KyWoods - sounds like we have similar set-ups!! Bet you have some awesome views!

Catzgalore - I told you how many kitties we have, come forth with your total! Would love to be involved with the local RU, have to go looking for that info!!

Chelle

Thumbnail by kcs_mom

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7509805

Eight kitties here...not counting the two that have been missing :( They all live outside, and some are feral.

--Renee
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #7509921

hello and welcome from upstate new york. your description of our property sounds wonderful. enjoy all DG has to offer.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2010
10:41 PM

Post #7509949

Chelle,

LOL Are you ready for this?

10 kittys, 2 dogs, 2 cockatiels, 1 red bellied frog, 2 30gal + aquariums , 2 hermit crab tanks and 2 young boys ages 9 & 10 :)
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7509993

HERBIE43- DH is from New York, grew up vacationing at Lake George. He used to reside in Queens. I will probably drown you guys with pics of this place, hope to see lots of yours too! Thanks for the welcome.

catzgalore - all that and still have a few seconds left over to plant something? When do you garden, after everyone's asleep ? :-)

When Kendon was real little that was the only time I was able to weed, notice the pile behind the buggy?

Thumbnail by kcs_mom

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7510213

Chelle,

Sometimes I feel like there's no time. LOL
Really though, I'm a single mom and I have learned that gardening makes for wonderful happy family time together. My boys are old enough now to really appreciate it too. I have also found it to be a wonderful tool for teaching them responsibility and how to follow through with a job till the end.They then get a beautiful visual of the end reward for their hard work. They have something to show for their labor and they can be proud of it. This part comes in handy when it's time to clean their rooms or their hermit crab cages:) This also applies to school work. Their grades are their reward if they do good. If they don't do their best in school and they don't get the best grades they can then they get to do the not so fun part of gardening. They get to pull the weeds.
My oldest 10 even has some plants (succulents) of his own in his room. (grin)
My youngest 9 loves the labor of it all. He gets to dig holes in the beds and not get in trouble for it. ;) He also has a very gentle hand for handling the plants.
We get a lot of cabin fever when the weather gets cold. We have a PS2 and a Wii but I make sure they are extremely limited as to how often and how long they are allowed to play them.
I also work ~50 hrs a week. I get one afternoon a week off and do some gardening then. I take full advantage of my sundays off unless it happens to be my week on 24 hr call :). I love gardening it's good for the body,mind and soul.
Most of my DG time is in the evenings when the boys are taking their showers and after they're in bed.
I've been on here a lot lately because at the moment I have pneumonia and have missed some hours of work due to overextending myself :(
That's a handsome young man you have there too :)

Steph

This message was edited Jan 29, 2010 6:29 PM

This message was edited Jan 29, 2010 6:45 PM
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #7510298

Awwwww! Funny, just as I enlarged the pic, a Jeep commercial came on tv! I didn't know they made strollers, too...
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7510662

Steph,

I feel for you with the pneumonia. We have been struggling with what I assume is just a really bad-nasty cold bug, can't imagine how much worse pneumonia must be! Kendon is over it, I'm still trying to lose a lung, and DH is just getting around to being socked down by it. Seems like the old days when K was a baby, nobody is getting any sleep!! Hope to hear that you are feeling better soon!

KyWoods, :-)

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #7510753

Thanks Chelle. Dr. started me on inhaler and steroids today. Hopefully it'll all be over with soon.My youngest Zach was so worried about me. He's so sweet. Josh (oldest) is the strong one. He's been trying to help me out so much. Zach just wants to cuddle me :)
I sure hope y'all feel better soon. It's always worse when the kids are sick too. They always need reassuring that they will be ok :) 4 yrs old is such a great age. They try so hard to be BIG. Such an impressionable young man ;)

Keep in touch. If you need anything just hollar.
Steph
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #7510789

KC let me take a nap the other evening when I was feeling poorly. When I woke, I saw a can of my favorite soda sitting on the table beside me, when asked where it came from he replied, just taking care of you mommy! So sweet they can be!

Do need now that you mention it. Where the heck can I find out about getting the nightly newsletter? Saw it once, can't find it now! Going to bed, yap at ya later! Chelle

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 8:51 AM

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2010
3:15 AM

Post #7510834

Ohh, how sweet he is to take care of mommy :) Such a gentleman already. Good job mom.

Newsletter :
Your tabs at the top of page. Click on the My Tools tab. Go to Preferences. Menu on right side, click on newsletter. Follow prompt. Then your done.

Hope you get some sleep.
Steph
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7511430

That's what I missed! I tried My Tools, didn't go to Preferences! Thank you so much, off to do that now.

Chelle
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7511642

Morning all and you too Chelle, Made it here to see your pics. One sweet looking little guy you have there. So glad you have found some of the things you were looking for. Told you we had a great bunch of people on here :)))))))))))))
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7511680

Thanks for all your help flowerfantasy! Still haven't located the newcomers thread that I think you were trying to get me to. So I guess I'll just jump in wherever!

Chelle

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 8:56 AM
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7511735

Garden Design: Charley's Gothic and Ungothic and Friendship Garden,
I copied and pasted this for you Chelle but don't know if it will be a link or not but at least you will have the name of the thread you can go to and talk to some of the others too. You will find quite a few on this one and it is self explanatory. I'll try to send you a few of the other threads this way too but like I said I don't know if they will link or not but you will have the names of the threads to look for.

Here is another place for you to look at too if you want.

Plant Trading Discussion Forum

This message was edited Jan 30, 2010 10:01 AM
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7512235

Thanks fower. It did not come up as a link but I did find it. Will take a look soonest. :-) I think I tagged it. Chelle
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
12:34 AM

Post #7513589

chelle - my first apartment after i gotr married was in queens near jfk airport.
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
2:20 AM

Post #7513932

HERBIE 43 - I have only been to Queens once to visit his relatives and attend a wedding. I have to say that I'm too much of a rural girl to have really enjoyed it. We stayed at a really nice hotel on Long Island. It had some nice landscaping and a really nice restaurant. Our room was too close to the lobby & bar however,noisy, very noisy! Had a sleep deprived couple of days, was glad to go home.:-) Chelle
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7514585

my wife and i always consered ourselvs as city people but when i moved to my house in east fishkill new york we knew we belonged here.
whenever we have to go back into long island we dread it. LOL

kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7515021

HERBIE43 - I am with ya there!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7515336

hope you getto visit soe ofthe other forums like the recipe forum where we trade recipes and show pictures of our recipes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Welcome Mat Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Introduction pearl 12 Jun 14, 2007 3:08 PM
Louisiana crawdad360 26 May 21, 2009 4:35 PM
Hi Everyone.... From the Chesapeake Bay Area Chesapeake 11 Jun 15, 2008 4:12 PM
Greetings from NE Kansas! azurebloom 11 Sep 29, 2008 1:04 AM
Hello from the Caribbean knotimpaired 14 Sep 3, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America