Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Photos: Scared of his own shadow

Communities > Forums > Photos
bookmark
Forum: PhotosReplies: 9, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2001
5:24 AM

Post #14534

Ya think? Isn't this a GORGEOUS spider? He was big, too - his body was about 1.25" long, I'm thinking. There's another post with him on a thistle head, and that shows his size a little better.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2001
6:02 AM

Post #135725

Georgeous is not the first word that came to mind! Interesting, big, great photo with that shadow but not georgeus! LOL
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2001
7:05 AM

Post #135733

Well, ya just had to see him live in person, LOL! He was irridescent like tinfoil with colored glaze over it. I can't even begin to describe it. Really cool, and I almost missed seeing him! Hard to believe you can miss something that HUGE, but you can! Unless it's crawling up your pantleg or something *ewww shudder*. Okay, I grossed myself out there. ;-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2001
4:37 PM

Post #135915

GW, This spider looks like what my friend calls a 'garden spider'... and she says to count yourself lucky if they choose to live in your garden!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2001
4:45 AM

Post #136277

That reminds me - I wanted to post a picture of it in the Identification forum. When I showed it to my mom today, she exclaimed she remembers loving those spiders as a little girl. She remembers how pretty their webs are. :-)
Sis

September 29, 2001
7:04 PM

Post #136524

Yes, that's one of my favorites,hard worker in the gardens'
Great pic' Sis'
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2001
7:18 PM

Post #136530

I've got one of those on my young dogwood tree. I was wondering when I was going to see them. I haven't seen any all year, until a month ago.
Jane
Straide, Mayo
Ireland
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2001
9:51 PM

Post #136600

Zany

I have to agree. 8 legged friends give me the heebeegeebees especially when a male house spider, Tegenaria, runs across the floor while I'm up late.

Mark
currently visiting Jane,
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2001
4:59 AM

Post #136741

Gardenwife, if you get this excited about this spider you'd LOVE these HUGE grasshoppers we have out here. They look like something out of a Spielberg movie. I have just completed my first year in Arizona, and these things STRIP the leaves off most "coddled" plants out here. I'm used to the "back east" variety. These die off after monsoon season is over...thank you, Lord! Jo
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2001
5:26 AM

Post #136746

Okay, let me rephrase this...I think the spider's gorgeous, but I would NOT like to look down and see it running across my pants leg! LOL! Those crickets you're talking about, Roadrunner, are they those huge ones -- I saw them in a book, but I can't remember their name. What are they called again?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America