Post #7510261

It looks like a hoya to me.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 30, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7510993

Too difficult to say. many aroids have juvenile leaves like that but the adult leaves are vastly different. If it's a Hoya the leaves should be in pairs (opposite) along the stem. Philos don't have opposite leaves.
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7512437

I have a juvenile philodendron pinnatifidum whose leaves look like that. But the grown up plant will look much different.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

January 30, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7512579

If it isn't the pinnatifidum, look into philo wend imbe. It is mini, and clumping (i think). Seems to be used in terrariums, alot.

Here is a pic.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=s4y&q=philodendron wend imbe images&aq=f&aqi=&oq=

This message was edited Jan 30, 2010 2:47 PM
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

January 31, 2010
12:20 AM

Post #7513536

I was strolling at glasshouseworks and found a philo called Nurse Noodles that resembles your plant, also.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 31, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7514675

This is a young Philodendron erubescens Red Emerald, but you couldn't tell the difference between it and several other juvenile Philos. Or some Epipremnums either. Often you just have to wait for adult foliage.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

begoniadude
Irving, TX

February 1, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7518864

I think it is either Nurse Noodles or philo wend imbe. When it grows some more I will revisit this discussion.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010
1:41 AM

Post #7520424

I'm glad you found out. I've been watching this to see what it was. I am by no means an expert :)
ExoticRainforest
Siloam Springs, AR

March 5, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7605988

I will continue to be a lurker on Dave's but all of you should know there is no such thing as a true mini Philodendron. There are two species, one from western Brazil and one from southeastern Colombia that stay relatively small. Both of these are very rare and rarely available to a collector. All the others get big, some really big.

Philodendron are largely climbing species and if allowed to climb will morph into shapes you likely can not imagine due to natural variation. Most growers think of the genus as small trailing species but in truth that is not always factual. There are a few terrestrial species but the majority climb in order to find bright light. Even the terrestrial plants can grow very large with leaves exceeding 4 to 6 feet.

This link explains why species climb and morph: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Natural variation within aroid and plant species.html

P. wend-imbe appears to be a hybrid of Philodendron wendlandii Schott crossed with Philodendron imbe Schott ex Endl. P, wendlandii is from Nicaragua to Panama while Philodendron imbe is from Bolivia. The plant is a hybrid and not a species since it is not listed on any scientific database. It will still grow larger than you think if given the right conditions and some info indicates blades of 2 to 3 feet or more. There is some confusion over P. imbe that Brazilian botanist Eduardo Gonçalves has written this about. P. imbe may also just be a natural hybrid, "Taxonomically, Philodendron imbe may prove to be a name so deeply embedded in confusion that this name should not be used anymore. Anyhow, at least in Brazil, the material usually called P. imbe is a cultivar with no origin defined that can produce a large quantity of offshoots and it never flowers around here. It has sagittate leaves with clearer nerves and grows so massively that can be used as a dense shrub." I have grown it for many years and if given a tall totem it will change shape and size.

Here is info on the two smallest species:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron pusillum pc.html

Even these will grow leaves near one foot long. I have many in my collection with leaves up to 6 feet that looked beautiful when they were first purchased, they just don't stay small/

Steve

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 10:14 AM

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 10:25 AM

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 10:26 AM

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 10:28 AM

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 9:03 PM

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 9:25 PM

RachelLF

RachelLF

March 5, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7607748

So very good to see you here again!

Why be only a "lurker" when you have so much knowledge to add/share. Please come around and post more..when you have time.

ExoticRainforest
Siloam Springs, AR

March 5, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7607757

Thanks Rachel. You are a great friend. I just noticed how many edits I made to that post so please forgive me. Once I get going on a research project I keep finding new info so I go back and make edits. I do it all the time to my own website to the point I sometimes confuse myself. I hope I didn't make this one overly difficult to grasp.

See you in April at the Missouri Botanical Garden!

Steve

RachelLF

RachelLF

March 5, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #7607800

Absolutely never to difficult in any way shape or form Steve. Your wisdom and knowledge concerning the Araceae family of plant's is extremely valuable to us all and I know for sure your website is one tremendous "tool" that many value.

Thank you for helping and guiding me along my way and alway's being there for me when I have a question. You are a tremendous mentor and superb friend and this is one gal who sure does appreciate every thing you do for us all!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America